IGNORED

Millen Looking To The Loan Market

Ryan_BCFC

Cheer up Red Exile - we've got Albert and Pitman, probably Maynard.

We're going to score heavily, and likely concede even more, all in all it should be a really entertaining season.

We're not going to get in the top 6 but we'll have enough to avoid relegation, so let's be happy with that and enjoy going to the Gate.

Championship football has got a lot going for it - especially if City are going for it and rattling in the goals at AG.yes.gif

we'll be diverting in numbers from a return home from holiday to take in the opening day of the season...so I hope so!

so very different from the atmosphere around the club a year ago though...

we'll be diverting in numbers from a return home from holiday to take in the opening day of the season...so I hope so!

Very true, the hype was sky high, the pressure was ramped right up, and City, and Coppell couldn't take it.

I know from previous posts you won't agree, but I don't mind us having much lesser expectations.

I simply want to enjoy going to AG more than I did last season, and my expectations for next season are entertaining, attacking football, and more goals - in other words the sort of excitement that got me hooked on City in the first place.

This fixation with promotion every year gets tiresome and ultimately breeds negativity in the stands through disappointment.

The loudest noises about our 'aim' have usually come from the very top of the club but, thankfully, they seem far more moderate and realistic this year.

Which you lambasted the club for ALL last season. Now the atmosphere is more sombre, surely that is to your liking?! No promises of that effing Jam today!

Right to the heart of the matter, Andy - an absolutely fundamental and extremely valid point.

Stead, £200k

Clarkson, £600k

Pitman, £800k

Certainly in the case of Billy Jones we bid £500k for a player with 6 months left on his contract and a team with very little money to spare, that's hardly peanuts.

And then we meet in bs3 and u tell me that your misunderstood !

I do believe I asked to have a chat with you in bs3 and you came up with some excuse about the fact u couldn't make it.

It's one thing being clever on here and another face to face ! (and I don't mean that as a threat I'm a civilised man) but as usual your being complete battered on here by most posters and I'm the doughnut!

Haha you make me laugh. I said I might not be there. I was there, as I am most games. I will be there august 6th. Interesting to see if u call me a tosser...

Much love ;)

Stead, £200k

Clarkson, £600k

Pitman, £800k

Certainly in the case of Billy Jones we bid £500k for a player with 6 months left on his contract and a team with very little money to spare, that's hardly peanuts.

Add on Maynard, Trundle and Styvar to the above and it's over 5m.

I doubt we've spent 20% of that on defenders in the same period.

Nyatanga and possibly Stewart, not much else, so Andy's point that we aren't willing to spend big on quality defenders, but will continually splash out on strikers is a very good one.

Yes, we do need to sell before we buy, that's always been the case this summer, the players who have come in have been for either free or nominal fee's and we players that for the value had to be snapped up,

As has been said, alot of the defenders that we are after are either costing high fee's or are joining other clubs in a better position than us.

Easy for you to constantly sit their constantly belitting every action of the club, but it's not always easy to bring in the players you want in the positions you need in the order you want, which is something GJ also used to say,

As for "you'll take it all back" no you won't, you'll just find something else to moan on about

if it was always sell before we buy, how did we buy Ryan taylor and bolasie?? You assuming they are nominal fees, but I'd imagine they are 6 figure sums

You say I moan - I don't call it moaning. Not everyone is going to praise Millen all the time unlike you and robbo....

I also don't 'belittle every action of the club' - I think the club and Millen for that matter, are doing alot of things right.... You just cant see past the fact I don't currently rate Millen as a manager!

if it was always sell before we buy, how did we buy Ryan taylor and bolasie?? You assuming they are nominal fees, but I'd imagine they are 6 figure sums

Bolasie was 20k. Taylor might have been six figures, just. Covered by what we got for Henderson. Nominal is the right word.

Let's not be logical though eh?

Bolasie was 20k. Taylor might have been six figures, just. Covered by what we got for Henderson. Nominal is the right word.

We didn't get those players on the understanding we would receive anything for hendo though. Therefore there was some, if only very little funds available to keef - seeing how little was available, why spend it on fairly strong areas of the squad.

I just hope keef finds another caulker - I doubt it, because young players are rarely that good.... Fingers crossed

Stead, £200k

Clarkson, £600k

Pitman, £800k

Yeah but we didnt get him? there are plenty more fish in the sea, and surely if we have £500,000 to spend on a player then, we shoud still have similar money to spend on a defender now?

Wasnt Lansdown or Millen (or someone) quoted a few months back as good as saying yes, the squad needs trimming but if we identify an area that needs improving, we will discuss it.

I personally took that as "even if we cannot sell our crap, if we desperately need to strengthen a position, we will look at the possibility".

Defenders are a MUST. If we start the season with the defenders we currently have, we are well and truely in the mess. Buying players by the end of August is not good enough. By then we would have played Ipswich, Leicester and Cardiff (and a couple of other games) and could already find ourselves playing catch up. We need a good start to the season, its so important.

We allegedly bid £500k for Jones only a few months back, so this is another reason why I dont think we have the philosophy of "sell before you buy". In an idea world, we would obviously, but as I keep saying....its so important that we invest in our defence NOW

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Bristol-City-agree-compensation-fee-Rotherham/story-12913694-detail/story.html

Hmmmm..... states here that Taylor will be roughly 300k. Cant really comment on whether the player is worth it cos iv never seen him play (im not relying on youtube clips to say he's good) - but im happy to trust Millen as his transfers have generally been excellent, and id much rather see City sign young, talented players who want to play rather than expensive 'has beens' nearer the twilight of their career looking for that last big pay cheque.

If only we could find Caulker mk2, a new left back and maybe couple others good squad additions (maybe another creative player in the middle) and City would then have as good a chance as any to get in the play-offs. Surely you cant look at our attacking options and not think we dont have a chance, I mean how many teams do you think have a better attacking line-up??

We didn't get those players on the understanding we would receive anything for hendo though. Therefore there was some, if only very little funds available to keef - seeing how little was available, why spend it on fairly strong areas of the squad.

For the millionth time, signing those players did not in any way affect our ability to sign defenders. I know you'd like that to be true so you can slaughter Millen a bit more but it simply isn't.

Here's how I know. We were pursuing three or four defenders all of whom we lost to other clubs in higher divisions, in Taylor's case to a manager he'd work for before, or to big fat signing fees at their current club. We are now still pursuing the next defenders on the list both permanent and on loan - either way they cost money - money that if your ridiculous assertions were right we don't have. Thankfully they're not.

http://www.thisisbri...tail/story.html

Hmmmm..... states here that Taylor will be roughly 300k. Cant really comment on whether the player is worth it cos iv never seen him play (im not relying on youtube clips to say he's good) - but im happy to trust Millen as his transfers have generally been excellent, and id much rather see City sign young, talented players who want to play rather than expensive 'has beens' nearer the twilight of their career looking for that last big pay cheque.

That'll be "a deal worth 300k" leaving unsaid the "if he scores a hundred in our promotion season and we conquer europe the year following". The actual fee we've paid will be far lower.

You say I moan - I don't call it moaning. Not everyone is going to praise Millen all the time unlike you and robbo....

I also don't 'belittle every action of the club' - I think the club and Millen for that matter, are doing alot of things right.... You just cant see past the fact I don't currently rate Millen as a manager!

To be fair, if we had just focussed on trying to buy players for defence and not bought Bolasie, Taylor and Kilkenny, you'd of moaned that there had been no transfer activity.

Our transfer budget is not directly affected by how much money we lose each year. We all know SL is keen to see the club progress, and he understands he needs to put his hand in his pocket for transfers and wages. My view on the 'budget cut' is that we wont be spending high wages on players who are looking for the next pay cheque, or who ill have a low re-sale value ala Marcus Stewart and others like that.

Millen needs to ensure the players he buys are right for the squad, otherwise we could end up with another couple of Hunts (and thats not cockney rhyming slang). I'd prefer him to take his time and bring in the right player, than rush in a buy 3 crap defenders which would then make SL think twice about releasing more funds.

Our defence really wasnt all that bad last season, when the first choice back 4 were there, a settled and stable defence saw us on both occasions it was largely there shoot right to the top of the form table. So they are clearly not rubbish, however we have very little in reserve especially at left back. When you look at the fact that skuse and cisse both enjoyed stints in the back 4, is it any wonder that our defence was a bit dodgy?

We definately need some defenders as last season showed, take out macca, Carey and fonts and the defence looks weak, but with our first choice of macca, fonts, Carey and ribs that is not a woeful defence, it's and average championship back 4.

Loans may well be the best bet as it stands, we've already missed out on our first 2/3 choices in both cb and lb positions, and not due to money, so it could easily be the case that better players are available as loans rather than permanent deals at the moment.

This season like last season is still a transitional season, we still have probably 8-10 players on the books that we simply don't want, and until we shift these then wholesale changes in areas of the squad aren't going to happen.

The level of defenders we should be and are looking at are either moving for big fees, or comanding wages that we can't afford, or just simply picking other clubs over us, just because we know we need defenders doesn't mean we should just go out and buy defenders for the sake of it, we have looked at the right standard of players, but as it happens they chose to either stay where they are or go somewhere else, nothing we can do about that. Recruiting players takes time and it may take us until next summer to find the right players who want to come here, in the meantime loans are probably the best bet.

Yeah but we didnt get him? there are plenty more fish in the sea, and surely if we have £500,000 to spend on a player then, we shoud still have similar money to spend on a defender now?

It's irrelevent whether we did get him, the claim was that we weren't prepared to spend money when we clearly are. Perhaps the loans Keef has identified are better than the next best permanent on 'the list'?

It's irrelevent whether we did get him, the claim was that we weren't prepared to spend money when we clearly are. Perhaps the loans Keef has identified are better than the next best permanent on 'the list'?

I didnt claim we wernt prepared to spend it. I just find it amusing that the only money weve spent on defenders in the last 4 or 5 years is on Nyatanga. Yet we continue to splash the cash on forwards

For the millionth time, signing those players did not in any way affect our ability to sign defenders. I know you'd like that to be true so you can slaughter Millen a bit more but it simply isn't.

Here's how I know. We were pursuing three or four defenders all of whom we lost to other clubs in higher divisions, in Taylor's case to a manager he'd work for before, or to big fat signing fees at their current club. We are now still pursuing the next defenders on the list both permanent and on loan - either way they cost money - money that if your ridiculous assertions were right we don't have. Thankfully they're not.

To be fair, if we had just focussed on trying to buy players for defence and not bought Bolasie, Taylor and Kilkenny, you'd of moaned that there had been no transfer activity.

Our transfer budget is not directly affected by how much money we lose each year. We all know SL is keen to see the club progress, and he understands he needs to put his hand in his pocket for transfers and wages. My view on the 'budget cut' is that we wont be spending high wages on players who are looking for the next pay cheque, or who ill have a low re-sale value ala Marcus Stewart and others like that.

Millen needs to ensure the players he buys are right for the squad, otherwise we could end up with another couple of Hunts (and thats not cockney rhyming slang). I'd prefer him to take his time and bring in the right player, than rush in a buy 3 crap defenders which would then make SL think twice about releasing more funds.

I dont like to slaugher millen or moan pointlessly.

Lets just see what happens - hopefully we can somehow get in some decent defenders before the end of the transfer window - if we do, then maybe we might have a decent season.

I didnt claim we wernt prepared to spend it. I just find it amusing that the only money weve spent on defenders in the last 4 or 5 years is on Nyatanga. Yet we continue to splash the cash on forwards

Damion Stewart? £400k? August 2010? Ring any bells?

Archived