IGNORED

Millen Looking To The Loan Market

Ryan_BCFC

Adam Smith from Tottenham ??? - He would also consider moving away from spurs to gain first team football in the championship as published by Sky Sports yesterday. Was on loan at Bournemouth last season. He would b worth looking at imo.

I'd like to think that with how much Caulker and Spence improved whilst with us last year, Wiggles contacts and Keef's supposed friendship with Phelan at ManUre we'd be able to get some big clubs to loan us some quality young players. To be honest though, I'd be tempted to give our own youngsters, i.e. Ribs, Wilson, Edwards, rather than blood someone elses. A bigger risk perhaps, but we'd stand to gain a lot more from it

A back four of Ribs-Fonts-Wilson-Edwards?

What a ridiculous predicament to be left in.

Hands tied because squad is too big, and having to rely again on loan signings of unproven young defenders who are learning their trade.

We need a leader at the back. Someone with experience and Leadership qualities. Carey too old, JM too old and not good enough.

The chances of finding another Caulker are going to be very remote.

Personally, I think we probably have the weakest back four in this Division. From...

Ribs....unproven, injury prone.

Hunt...need i say more.

Carey...too old, not good enough now.

McAllister...not good enough now.

Stewart...not wanted and overweight.

Fontaine...Average at this level.

Nyatanga...imho not good enough at this level.

Edwards...unproven

Ball...unproven.

It reads as a complete joke, that a Championship side, striving for promotion, can get in this dire position. The fact that we had Cisse and Woolford playing as improvised defenders during our Charlton game just goes to show how unprofessional we have become. It's desperate imho.

Personally if SL doesn't bite the bullet and spend more, then i can see us getting relegated. Pay up the contracts of the unwanted, get rid and start again. If we have another poor season, then trying to recruit new players will be even more difficult. It's bad enough as it is, as no one seemingly wants to join us.

If we get relegated, then we will lose far more in the long run, especially with the new Stadium in progress. Imho, we are gambling with odds stacked against us.

All imho, and many will disagree. I'm all for saving money...but i think we've taken it too far. :shocking:

Not sure what you guys expect from the club? It's clear we are trying to sign defenders and at the same time offload existing squad members, who rightly or wrongly are on big money contracts that they wouldn't get anywhere else so wouldnt want to leave.

Loan Market is pretty much the only option left at this point and last season gave us 2 of our better players. We are playing with the cards we've been dealt, at least it's good to see we are trying to get a settled squad in place before the season starts

I agree in parts spud but I think your being a little harsh on Tangs and Fonts both are more than capable at this level as long as there played in there proper positions but there both left footed. This will be a massive season for James Wilson now is the time too step up too the plate and perform.

Not sure what you guys expect from the club? It's clear we are trying to sign defenders and at the same time offload existing squad members, who rightly or wrongly are on big money contracts that they wouldn't get anywhere else so wouldnt want to leave.

Loan Market is pretty much the only option left at this point and last season gave us 2 of our better players. We are playing with the cards we've been dealt, at least it's good to see we are trying to get a settled squad in place before the season starts

To prioritise?? did we really need another winger and another striker? no. Do we DESPERATELY need defenders. yes!

No time to panic. KM has tried to get much better quality in than we have currently. Yes they haven't come to us, but we are one of the smallest clubs in this league and we have to accept that until the new ground is open other clubs have more to offer.

He said he has the option on four defenders and if the ones that come in are anywhere near Caulker or Spence we will be fine.

KM said recently he won't have the squad he wants for a few transfer windows due to the size of the squad and SL has said in the past that paying up contracts is not financially viable.

To prioritise?? did we really need another winger and another striker? no. Do we DESPERATELY need defenders. yes!

I fully agree. I mentioned it on another thread, what baffles me is the fact we dont ever invest in the back four. Since we got promoted, we spent big wedges on Trundle, Maynard, Clarkson, Stead and Pitman......yet I think all we have spent on the back four was peanuts on Nyatanga.

Why wont we invest any proper dosh in the defence!

Would leak like a seive!

I agree but 'Unknown Quantity'-Fonts-'Unknown Quantity'-Ribs (for example) isn't guarenteed to be any better is it? Thats essentially what we have if we get a couple of 20 year-olds on loan. They might turn out to be the next Caulkers, but they could quite as easily be rubbish. At least by taing a punt on our own youngsters we stand to gain a first team player or a healthy transfer fee at the end of it

Riaz , you keep asking why have we signed these 2. Surely you understand that we can target more than 1 signing at a time? What's Millen supposed to do , not sign another player until we get a defender in?

For the record (according to the EP) Millen has tried to sign the follwing defenders this summer

Billy Jones - Opted to join WBA

Andrew Taylor - Opted to join Cardiff

Joel Lynch - Nottm Forest refused to sale

Stephen Crainey - Opted to stay at Blackpool

Stephen Caulker - Opted to join Swansea

Jordan Spence - Signed new deal at W Ham

I would say he is trying his best and I am confident we will be able to attract more players in the Caulker / Spence mould.

You only need to prioritise when it isn't possible to do things concurrently.

Not sure how many times this needs to be explained before it sinks in but we can pursue more than one target at once and signing those players IN NO WAY affects whether or not we can get the defenders we want.

We KNOW why we haven't signed defenders yet, because the targets we were competing for went elsewhere.

What a ridiculous predicament to be left in.

Hands tied because squad is too big, and having to rely again on loan signings of unproven young defenders who are learning their trade.

We need a leader at the back. Someone with experience and Leadership qualities. Carey too old, JM too old and not good enough.

The chances of finding another Caulker are going to be very remote.

Personally, I think we probably have the weakest back four in this Division. From...

Ribs....unproven, injury prone.

Hunt...need i say more.

Carey...too old, not good enough now.

McAllister...not good enough now.

Stewart...not wanted and overweight.

Fontaine...Average at this level.

Nyatanga...imho not good enough at this level.

Edwards...unproven

Ball...unproven.

It reads as a complete joke, that a Championship side, striving for promotion, can get in this dire position. The fact that we had Cisse and Woolford playing as improvised defenders during our Charlton game just goes to show how unprofessional we have become. It's desperate imho.

Personally if SL doesn't bite the bullet and spend more, then i can see us getting relegated. Pay up the contracts of the unwanted, get rid and start again. If we have another poor season, then trying to recruit new players will be even more difficult. It's bad enough as it is, as no one seemingly wants to join us.

If we get relegated, then we will lose far more in the long run, especially with the new Stadium in progress. Imho, we are gambling with odds stacked against us.

All imho, and many will disagree. I'm all for saving money...but i think we've taken it too far. :shocking:

That is very harsh, very harsh indeed.

(Wilson, Tangs, Stewart, Carey, Fontaine, Jamie Mac) would provide and adiquate defence imho so suplimenting it with a couple of loans is a good choice not the best option but a good one.

Impatient tossers! Springs to mind .

Spudski your response is written so negatively that you failed to mention

Wilson ! A very promising c b !

Transfers take time and yes we will miss out on a few more to clubs that are bigger than us !

Unfortunately its the same people moaning because they can't understand why were not as attractive a club as some others, your all bloody deluded!

We ain't the biggest club and we don't have the biggest budget !

So we won't get first choice on good players because currently were 3rd or 4 th choice in the pecking order . Wake up !

Spudski, i think your being a bit harsh on Fonts, more than capable in this division..... Needs someone to build a partnership with at the back who is gonna play 30 plus games this season.... the question is who????

Whites.

Riaz , you keep asking why have we signed these 2. Surely you understand that we can target more than 1 signing at a time? What's Millen supposed to do , not sign another player until we get a defender in?

For the record (according to the EP) Millen has tried to sign the follwing defenders this summer

Billy Jones - Opted to join WBA

Andrew Taylor - Opted to join Cardiff

Joel Lynch - Nottm Forest refused to sale

Stephen Crainey - Opted to stay at Blackpool

Stephen Caulker - Opted to join Swansea

Jordan Spence - Signed new deal at W Ham

I would say he is trying his best and I am confident we will be able to attract more players in the Caulker / Spence mould.

Thats usually fine. But when we are trying to cut the squad down - why sign players we dont really need.

The defence needed sorting, even when we had caulker and spence - we quickly lost those two - so if things were so tight - the last thing we should have done was strengthen fairly strong parts of our squad.

We should not be in this position where we have to rely on loans for our defence.

What about building a defence for the future? and not having the same problem next summer or if and when they get recalled??

To be honest Millen said when asked early on that he wanted a CB, LB and a creative midfielder. We went and got Kilkenny (as I understand it our first choice) and have trying to sign just about every left back out there (Jones etc). The signing of Bolaise just fell in our lap, the kid was clearly talented and available locally for a stupidly cheap price. I don't think we started out looking to add a winger.

Taylor is a similar situation, talented and available on the cheap, but I agree it was hardly an area of great need. I think we've added 2 signings for the mid-long term and Kilkenny.

You only need to prioritise when it isn't possible to do things concurrently.

Not sure how many times this needs to be explained before it sinks in but we can pursue more than one target at once and signing those players IN NO WAY affects whether or not we can get the defenders we want.

We KNOW why we haven't signed defenders yet, because the targets we were competing for went elsewhere.

Your missing the point. If we go and sign some defenders, then great - I'll take it all back - even if they sign on deadline day.

But all the noises coming from millen is that we need to sell before we buy or sign loan players - If this is the case - then 2 of his 3 signings were mistakes - because they werent desperately needed.

May I just add that it's now time for wiggles to go to work and get the best rising English talent around ! That's what enriches this club and WILL make us a threat next season !

Spence caulker Rose ! And that was just having wigs around for 2/3 of a season!

Give it time ! and I also would like to apologise for calling anyone a tosser I don't agree with sinking to that level!

Transfers take time and yes we will miss out on a few more to clubs that are bigger than us !

Unfortunately its the same people moaning because they can't understand why were not as attractive a club as some others, your all bloody deluded!

So we won't get first choice on good players because currently were 3rd or 4 th choice in the pecking order . Wake up !

When are you coming to BS3 to say hi?

back to the subject. no one is being impatient or thinks we are a big club. You either havent read things properly or are a complete doughnut.

Deluded...complete opposite mate. I'm one of the 'poxy little club brigade'.

It's all very well saying KM has tried to sign certain individuals, but non of them have joined, for the simple reason we are not attractive enough and don't pay enough.

So we are left with a very average defence. Two too old. Some not good enough and the others unproven 'promising' players. That is not a defense that will survive this league.

So...if we get two Loan players in, we will still be in the same predicament next season, when they go back to their parent clubs.

As for impatient...it's the same old shit every season. Excuses, excuses, excuses...

The reason we are in this predicament, is because of poor management. Now we are trying to make do and mend after wasting money. We've gone from delusions of grandeur ( New Stadium, Coppell, David James etc,etc,etc ) to a team trying to stay in this league on kids and loans. All within one season. It is was it is...incomprehendible in my book.

SL has the money to do better, but won't. Paying DJ £15,000 a week out of his own money, just goes to show how ridiculous the decision making is.

Sorry...but i think we are a sham in our decision making.

Again all imho. But we will become a laughing stock, and there is a reason everyone else see's us as relegation fodder this year.

Riaz Taylor was signed as back up for Stead when he was injured last season we desperately needed someone of his stature all we had were strikers all in the same mould. If Boalse turns out to be half the player Bert was last season then we will have un earthed another gem.

Riaz Taylor was signed as back up for Stead when he was injured last season we desperately needed someone of his stature all we had were strikers all in the same mould. If Boalse turns out to be half the player Bert was last season then we will have un earthed another gem.

are you sure about that?

Welcome to the real world.

With £10m losses in 2009 and a squad of 33 professionals at present we simply cannot keep on adding to it and the solution of paying people to leave isn't one that a loss making company (such as BCFC) can sustain.

There are several things that I would have done differently, firstly Millen gave Carey a new contract, so that has to mean he makes a significant contribution in 2011, otherwise it was folly; he also gave Joe Edwards his third pro deal, he is beyond the stage now where he is "one for the future" and at 20 is the same age as Jordan Spence, so has to start to contribute or why keep him on the books?

Keef also gave Marlon Jackson a new deal, I know he's a striker but at best he's going to be our sixth choice, if so couldn't those wages really have been better used elsewhere? Likewise Joe Lennox and Danny Ball got six more months, if they aren't going to ever feature, then why?

Then there is the signing of Ryan Taylor, who will hopefully be a good acquisition but was it really that much of a priority with Stead, Pitman, Maynard and Clarkson all already on the payroll?

This re-occurring unfunny joke about us signing "yet" another winger is just ridiculous, though, we have 4- one of whom (JCR) may not be fit for season's start, whilst another, Woolford, didn't start as well as he'd have hoped. If Albert picks up a knock we'd need a plan B, wouldn't we?

The analysis of our current defensive options is also incredibly pessimistic (Fontaine, for one has now played 4 full seasons of Championship football at 25, look, we're seriously not going to replace everyone) but what it does highlight is just how many of them there already are.

Plus the fact is that 6 fit defenders travelled to Portugal when players are only currently fit enough for 45 minutes always meant that 2 spaces were going to be filled by players out of position.

Another fact- Nyatanga and Stewart cost us almost a million pounds just in transfer fees, so no wonder SL rightly expects Keef to make good use of what we have.

I think we can expect Fontaine, Wilson, Carey, Ribeiro, Nyatanga, McAllister and two loan signings to constitute our defensive options for 2011/12, we certainly won't get another Caulker but we do need someone who at least matches Spence's contribution and I'm optimistic that Wigley's contacts will ensure that they do.

Thats usually fine. But when we are trying to cut the squad down - why sign players we dont really need.

Do we need back up for Stead and a replacement for Haynes/Sproule ??

The defence needed sorting, even when we had caulker and spence - we quickly lost those two - so if things were so tight - the last thing we should have done was strengthen fairly strong parts of our squad.

We should not be in this position where we have to rely on loans for our defence.

I agree , but we are , because half a dozen players have turned us down.

What about building a defence for the future? and not having the same problem next summer or if and when they get recalled??

Ribs , Edwards , Wilson , Nyatanga are all still young enough to play for another 10 years

dont get bent out of shape just yet. Still 3 weeks til the big kick off. We'll be fine I'm sure :fingerscrossed:

Archived