IGNORED

Prediction 9Th

wookey

Jesus......I agree with Robbored ......

.....is that allowed?

no your not, no matter how right he is,

We're 3 players short as I've said in another thread

A centre back (although I still think Wilson could well be that gem we need)

A Left Back (as there is only 92 available in the world so we can't find cover)

a Left Midfield (Woolford isn't going to be that for me hoping to be proved wrong and JCR cuts and drifts to the centre far to much)

Get those in and I'll be happier

The signing of Kilkenny will provide more creativity which was missing last season and I reckon he'll be a big influence. Lets hope he can avoid any injuries. I also reckon we'll see more of an attacking style and am looking forward to the start of the season.

I think the signs are we will be less attacking and try retain possession. I don't think it's possible to be more attacking than we were last season... as soon as we got the ball it went either forward or wide and we hit people on the break at every given opportunity.

we will play a prettier style of football, but not more attacking. In the same way that Stoke are probably the most attacking side in the Premier League and Arsenal are probably the least.

let's not mix passing football with attacking football eh?

no your not, no matter how right he is,

We're 3 players short as I've said in another thread

A centre back (although I still think Wilson could well be that gem we need)

A Left Back (as there is only 92 available in the world so we can't find cover)

a Left Midfield (Woolford isn't going to be that for me hoping to be proved wrong and JCR cuts and drifts to the centre far to much)

Get those in and I'll be happier

Agree with most of this bar left-wing, Woolford has much to prove, and Bolasie looks an interesting prospect. And we'll probably play 4-3-3 for at least some of the season.

I'm very happy with the midfield/front line, and cautious about the defence. McAllister, Fontaine, Wilson & Ribeiro would be a decent first choice back 4 IMO. Add Nyatanga and Carey, competent across the back-line, and that's ok. Strength in depth is still not there though and we're 2 players short of having what I'd consider a good all round defensive squad.

Agree with most of this bar left-wing, Woolford has much to prove, and Bolasie looks an interesting prospect. And we'll probably play 4-3-3 for at least some of the season.

I'm very happy with the midfield/front line, and cautious about the defence. McAllister, Fontaine, Wilson & Ribeiro would be a decent first choice back 4 IMO. Add Nyatanga and Carey, competent across the back-line, and that's ok. Strength in depth is still not there though and we're 2 players short of having what I'd consider a good all round defensive squad.

just my view of Woolford I'm happy to be proved wrong as I don't like seeing players struggle except for Ian Baird and Carl Hutchings I hated those two,

I dont think he's a winger I think he'd be suited to sitting behind a front 1/2 like Noble use too

just my view of Woolford I'm happy to be proved wrong as I don't like seeing players struggle except for Ian Baird and Carl Hutchings I hated those two,

I dont think he's a winger I think he'd be suited to sitting behind a front 1/2 like Noble use too

Thanks for mentioning my all time favourite City player. I feel angry now just picturing him in a City shirt. :grr:

As for Wooly, I don't think he was as bad last season as people are suggesting and still have faith in him to come good. IMO, he's our best (and most natural) option for the left wing. Just hope he hits the ground running this season and maintains form. I'm sure once his confidence is back he'll create a few chances. :fingerscrossed:

Cant get excited about this season one bit, our failure to secure replacements for Caulker, Spence and the past their best pair of Macalister and to a lesser extent Carey fills me with dread and worry.

If we are going to do any better than survive we need to shore up the defence, otherwise to win games we are going to have to score 4 a game!

Millen has looked to sign 5 different defenders but all have opted for other clubs.

It would be interesting if we knew which clubs the five unamed defenders opted for.

We are, after all, an established Championship team (for the moment), with possibilities of playing in a new stadium within maybe two or three years. It's also been said that salaries paid by the club are realistic compared to other championship sides.

So why do we seem unable to attract any of the top 5 on Millens list of defenders?

Despite the difficulties of last season City managed to finish 15th, comfortably in mid-table having scored and average of 1.3 goals a game with Maynard absent for much of the season. It wasn't pretty most of the time but the means justified the end.

I reckon City (with or without Maynard) will have enough firepower to stay comfortably in mid-table. What concerns me, as well as every other City fan is the ability to keep the back door shut. Millen has looked to sign 5 different defenders but all have opted for other clubs. He's now looking for PL loanee's similar to Caulker last season. That's not going to happen for at least a couple of weeks but it will happen.

The signing of Kilkenny will provide more creativity which was missing last season and I reckon he'll be a big influence. Lets hope he can avoid any injuries. I also reckon we'll see more of an attacking style and am looking forward to the start of the season.

As for Millen not moving on players - most fringe players are under contract for another year and if other clubs don't come in for them what can he do?

I think thats pretty fair. KM will bring in defenders, however we still dont know who will be surplus to requirements and be better than what we have.

We deserve an injury low season after last time and I personally feel we are well covered all over the pitch with the exceptions that we all know about...

I'm a fundamentalist so top 6 (I hope :sun: )

It would be interesting if we knew which clubs the five unamed defenders opted for.

We are, after all, an established Championship team (for the moment), with possibilities of playing in a new stadium within maybe two or three years. It's also been said that salaries paid by the club are realistic compared to other championship sides.

So why do we seem unable to attract any of the top 5 on Millens list of defenders?

They aren't really "unnamed", of the ones in the public domain:

Billy Jones and Gareth Macauley both joined West Brom.

Andrew Taylor joined Cardiff.

Aaron Cresswell joined Ipswich.

Stephen Crainey opted to stay at Blackpool.

Steven Caldwell joined Birmingham City.

By the way, Arpaul, I agreed with every word of your first post...

Taylor went to his old boss Malky Makay at Cardiff. Billy Jones is now in the PL . Another one (I forget who) opted to sign a new deal at his existing club. I forget who the other two were but I'm sure someone will know.

But the bottom line is that targeted players are sought after and there's always going to be competition.

Taylor went to his old boss Malky Makay at Cardiff. Billy Jones is now in the PL . Another one (I forget who) opted to sign a new deal at his existing club. I forget who the other two were but I'm sure someone will know.

But the bottom line is that targeted players are sought after and there's always going to be competition.

Thats 5 defenders for 3 positions ALL SUMMER. What happened to his lists? What happened to having more than one potential deal going at a time??

Thats 5 defenders for 3 positions ALL SUMMER. What happened to his lists? What happened to having more than one potential deal going at a time??

5 defenders that were speculated on widely and later confirmed when directly asked by Millen. Somewhat naive to think there's not more we don't know of, certainly within the past fortnight he's mentioned we've been turned down by more than one.

C'on Riaz, you know as we all do that once the old season ends players and agents bugger off on holiday for at least a month and if you have 5 potential signing and 4 decide to join us the squad will be even more heavy.

That's why Millen has gone down his list one at a time.

They aren't really "unnamed", of the ones in the public domain:

Billy Jones and Gareth Macauley both joined West Brom.

Andrew Taylor joined Cardiff.

Aaron Cresswell joined Ipswich.

Stephen Crainey opted to stay at Blackpool.

Steven Caldwell joined Birmingham City.

By the way, Arpaul, I agreed with every word of your first post...

Thanks GrahamC.

I can understand players being lured by the premier league, and can fully accept losing out on Jones and Macauley. I can also accept Caldwell joining Birmingham, as several relegated premier league sides have bounced back immediately.

Whilst Ipswich may have had top flight traditions in the past, they have been floundering for a while now, and are as much an 'outpost' in the East, as we are in the West.

Cardiff and Blackpool shouldn't be seen as a bigger attraction than us.

Could it be that we, as a club, are under selling ourselves? and accepting second/third best?

Thanks GrahamC.

I can understand players being lured by the premier league, and can fully accept losing out on Jones and Macauley. I can also accept Caldwell joining Birmingham, as several relegated premier league sides have bounced back immediately.

Whilst Ipswich may have had top flight traditions in the past, they have been floundering for a while now, and are as much an 'outpost' in the East, as we are in the West.

Could it be that we, as a club, are under selling ourselves? and accepting second/third best?

Cardiff is down to the inferstruce (new ground) and Blackpool are flavor of the month

Thanks GrahamC.

Cardiff could easily be seen as a big attraction when you've worked with the manager before, similarly Blackpool given Crainey was a current employee. Ipswich is debatable, but funds wise they are in a stronger position than ourselves at present.

Cardiff is down to the inferstruce (new ground) and Blackpool are flavor of the month

I'm not so sure.

Cardiff have a new ground, yes, but let's be fair, it isn't exactly the Madjeski, or St Marys is it,

As for Blackpool, I think their day has come, and now passed.

It's up to City to put themselves on the front foot, and make players want to come to Ashton Gate, or Ashton Vale, or wherever!

I'm not so sure.

Cardiff have a new ground, yes, but let's be fair, it isn't exactly the Madjeski, or St Marys is it,

As for Blackpool, I think their day has come, and now passed.

It's up to City to put themselves on the front foot, and make players want to come to Ashton Gate, or Ashton Vale, or wherever!

no buts its better then Ashton Gate paul,

this is why the new ground is so vital we can't compete with out it

What I don't understand is why people are complaiming that we haven't brought in 2 defenders yet. Yes, we do need them. In an ideal World we would have signed players of the quality of Caulks and Spence permanently and had deals tied up in June or July. However, we have lost out on a few deals for reasons that have been mentioned time and time again and we need to be realistic. We did not have Caulker or Spence at this time last year, so are in no way weaker than this point last year. In fact we have less injuries and have improved in other areas. If we are looking to sign those types of players again, we may not be able to until Prem teams are willing to let them out on loan. This could be in the next few days or even in the next 2-3 weeks. Patience is key though. Millen does not have a magic wand.

Cant get excited about this season one bit, our failure to secure replacements for Caulker, Spence and the past their best pair of Macalister and to a lesser extent Carey fills me with dread and worry.

If we are going to do any better than survive we need to shore up the defence, otherwise to win games we are going to have to score 4 a game!

Completely agree. I currently have no interest whatsoever in this coming season. I'm usually buzzing about now, the week the season starts. As it stands I am not even slightly excited. Naturally I'll be there, and maybe once in the ground on matchday the feelings will come back, but currently I'm feeling nothing toward this coming season. Nothing.

Come on you lot! If and when Keff brings in 1 or 2 defenders we will have a very decent squad, as good if not better than the one that made the play off final! IMO

I think a lot of you will be shocked! I think top 6 is not out the question if we get off to a good start!!:)

I've just looked down the Championship teams on the BBC.

I think that 8 will definitely finish above us and that 8 will probably finish below us.

That leaves us fighting for "mid-table" with 7 other teams.

I'll plump for 15th though the start will affect everything.

Different view in the Sunday Telegraph 'Championship Guide'

"A season of struggle awaits, especially if Leicester prise away star striker Nicky Maynard. Defensive reinforcements are still being sourced, but the feeling is that this is a club standing still while others are moving forwards. Just about good enough to stay up though"

Prediction:20th.

(they have Donny, Peterborough and Coventry for relegation, with Millwall just below us!)

Archived