IGNORED

How Are We Seen By Outsiders?

bangers

For exactly the reasons that many have spoken of, neither have the infastructure to support Premier League football, just like we don't at ashton gate. That is why Ashton Vale is so important to us, at the moment we make next to nothing out of ashton gate when football is not being played, the corporate facilities are poor at best, but largely non existant, we get almost zero usage of Ashton gate for non club use, except for the one concert every summer, that is simply unsustainable.

Blackpool may not have invested heavily enough to stay up, but they have secured their financial future at a level where they should be more than able to compete at the higher levels of tha championship for the next 10 years or so at least, which for a club the size of blackpool is a fantastic achievement.

West Brom have shown the way to establish yourself in the Premier League, you don't go up first time and gamble on staying up like Bradford and their ilk did, you get in the prem, pocket the majority of the TV money, and build a team that has a chance of staying up, but more importantly will stay if you go down and is more then capable of being at the top of the championship the next time, do that a couple of times ad you build your finances and fan base to a level that can sustain Premier League football on a long term basis.

How exactly is what blackpool done 1 step forward and 2 back ? they are in a better financial position than they ever have been in this division, they are not favourites to go down like they were season after season before their promotion, they have more fans than they did have, compared to two years ago they are in a great position, so they haven't gone backwards compared to then so it's more like 2 steps forward and about half a step back, all because they didn't gamble their clubs future on a desperate attempt to stay in the prem, which they knew they couldn't sustain in the long term.

Where are Bradford now after they got to the prem and invested very heavily ? Where are Sheffield United who did the same ? Where are Leeds after spending tens of millions on players who got them into the champions league ? Hemorraging money does not equal ambition or success, it just shows you are pissing money away for no apparent reason.

I would ask this, would you rather have a club that 20-30 years in the future could support it's self in the Premier League no matter who owns it, or one that can only survive if someone with £750 million quid to throw around is bankrolling it?

We are aiming for the former, and yes it will take longer but it's not worth risking the clubs future to attain it in the short term as you never know what may happen, if something happened to SL, i.e he just decided to up sticks and leave or got ill, we would be screwed and we wouldn't last till the end of the season without him pumping the money in, and I don't like that, what I and SL i believe would like to happen is to be in a situation where his money is a luxury that can be called on from time to time or in the short term, for example the manager wants to sign player x, he will cost 30k per week which is within the clubs wage budget, but he will cost us 8 million quid, the club can support the players wages but doesn't have the 8 mill in the bank, that where i want SL's money to come in. Not to be in plugging the massive holes in our accounts every single year.

I need not add anything else to this topic now, you have perfectly sumised mine (and thankfully the boards) view on this.

West Brom are without doubt THE blueprint for future success. I would not be surprised to see them in and around the european places come the end of next season with Roy at the helm, they are financially minted and I wouldn't be surprised to see Burnley (who set themselves back a few years by employing Laws!) and Blackpool yo-yo-ing for the next few years before establishing themselves.

unfortunately some posters will take any opportunity to have a pop at the particular aspect they have an issue with. Be it the manager, the academy or in this case, the board.

Really appreciate the thought out posts by Spud 55 and Jordan. Would love to add to the banter, but running around like a loon at the moment. This is how the forum should be always...logical thought out input. I thankyou for that, even if i disagree on some issues. Onwards and upwards...

Really appreciate the thought out posts by Spud 55 and Jordan. Would love to add to the banter, but running around like a loon at the moment. This is how the forum should be always...logical thought out input. I thankyou for that, even if i disagree on some issues. Onwards and upwards...

:wub:

"Of course, Bristol's more a rugby town" WRONG! :doh:

I don't think they are wrong when they say that. Not sure what crowds Brizzle get now, but in this region Gloucester, Barf & Brizzle all pull big crowds. The South West is a hot bed of rugby, absolutely no doubt about it

I don't think they are wrong when they say that. Not sure what crowds Brizzle get now, but in this region Gloucester, Barf & Brizzle all pull big crowds. The South West is a hot bed of rugby, absolutely no doubt about it

Really, when was the last time you went in a pub and someone said, " Here how did Bristol get on today?"

Really, when was the last time you went in a pub and someone said, " Here how did Bristol get on today?"

I don't know but where I'm from up in Gloucestershire nobody much cares about any of the football teams. Go into the local pub and you'll see plenty of Gloucester Rugby shirts but almost never a football shirt.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true in Somerset with Bath Rugby.

I don't think we are a rugby town in the sense that lots of people watch rugby, but there are an enormous amount of people that play rugby on a regular basis, just as there are a huge amount that play football.

That is one issue that you could say bristol has is that there are to many people playing sport to watch it all the time, for many people you can do one or the other, i would love to play football every week, but being a manager in a restaurant there is no way i could get saturdays off to watch city and then sunday's off to play football, so i can either watch city on a saturday or play football, i choose City but there are plenty of people out there who would more than likely come and watch city but choose to play football or indeed rugby instead.

I don't know but where I'm from up in Gloucestershire nobody much cares about any of the football teams. Go into the local pub and you'll see plenty of Gloucester Rugby shirts but almost never a football shirt.

Yes, Bath is Bath (no league team), Gloucester is Gloucester (no league team), BUT we were talking about Bristol being a "rugby" city and I contend that that's bollox!

Yes, Bath is Bath (no league team), Gloucester is Gloucester (no league team), BUT we were talking about Bristol being a "rugby" city and I contend that that's bollox!

Fair enough. I can't speak for Bristol itself. But where I'm from (approx. halfway between Bristol and Gloucester) more people seem to prefer to travel to watch Gloucester Rugby than Bristol City. That could be because they can watch a team challenging at the top of the top league in rugby, rather than towards the bottom of the second division in football, or it might be because they prefer the game, atmosphere whatever. The fact is that they do seem to prefer the rugby.

There are a hell of a lot of amateur Rugby teams in Bristol, many with reserves and youth squads from u.18's right down to u.8's. There can be hundreds involved in each club.

Altogether there are thousands involved in Bristol, and very often their families will go and support them rather than watch City.

Many Bristol schools also still insist on forcing pupils to play Rugby, with football coming a poor second or sometimes not available at all.

Rugby is firmly ingrained in this city.

There are a hell of a lot of amateur Rugby teams in Bristol, many with reserves and youth squads from u.18's right down to u.8's. There can be hundreds involved in each club.

Altogether there are thousands involved in Bristol, and very often their families will go and support them rather than watch City.

Many Bristol schools also still insist on forcing pupils to play Rugby, with football coming a poor second or sometimes not available at all.

But this is not a footballing city.

Compare attendances, even when Bristol were doing well - and you'll find we are more of a football city.

You become a real **** whenever rugby is mentioned on here, is it too rough for you diddums?

Pretty sure Dan & I are from the same town - rugby mad. Also supplies a lot of fans to City, and the odd one or two to the G*s - it's not just people from Bristol that can support City, if that's ok with you of course? I still see just as many, if not more people wearing rugby shirts around here than City or R*vers

Maybe people from Bristol are moving away from rugby a little bit right now, but make no mistake - when / if they get back to the Prem they will get big crowds again

Were always being told this, I just don't see it.

Infact, to say the SW is a rugby hotbed would just confirm to me that Rugby must be small fry.

Don't overlook just how many amateur football clubs there are apart from the two professional clubs. The Downs Leagues are massive. Add Bath City just down the road, Forest Green just up the road and smaller semi-professional clubs like Clevedon Town and Weston-S-Mare and you'll see there isn't much difference between the popularity of rugby and football.

Right now they do as they are in a shit league. I've been to the Mem loads of times to see the derby against Gloucester and it's rammed

I hope you washed and burnt those clothes afterwards,

Bart everytime I go to city I hear a "how did bristol get on?" but I go to footie with a Bristol season ticket holder

Im in Somerset and i cant remember ever seeing a Bath shirt.

The odd England or All Black shirt but not much interest in Rugby in my town.

Don't overlook just how many amateur football clubs there are apart from the two professional clubs. The Downs Leagues are massive. Add Bath City just down the road, Forest Green just up the road and smaller semi-professional clubs like Clevedon Town and Weston-S-Mare and you'll see there isn't much difference between the popularity of rugby and football.

There is more interest in Rugby in the Bristol area than in many other cities, much of it due to the plethora of amateur clubs as explained above.

It is still compulsory in many schools and because of this forced interest in the formative years there are a large number of active players to feed the clubs.

It's not all about support figures for BRC compared with the football clubs, it's the number of people for whom interest in Rugby takes precedence over football.

From what I've heard if you play for your local amateur rugby club it often becomes a way of life for the player and his family, and very often sons follow in their fathers' footsteps.

We have a large number of well established Rugby clubs in Bristol, hence, compared to some Cities, there are many thousands more who see Rugby as their no.1 sport.

So it's no surprise if we are seen as a Rugby city by many outsiders.

I agree, there are loads of fat kids with no hand-eye co-ordination or natural athleticsm to whom these feeder clubs must be a Godsend!

I hope you washed and burnt those clothes afterwards,

Bart everytime I go to city I hear a "how did bristol get on?" but I go to footie with a Bristol season ticket holder

I didn't even wear a Gloucester shirt as I didn't want to dirty it in that shithole!

The thread began "How Are We Seen By Outsiders"?

WSC has its new season review by fans of each club - there is a question about last season - who you liked or disliked - we do not get a mention once.

Me - if someone disliked us that would be ok - or liked us would be ok - the fact is outsiders appear to be completely apathetic about us - which as we all know is normally worse then than being "liked or disliked" at least those two have an emotion attached to them?

What do we care - City is our Team but it would be nice to spark a bit of a reaction rather than nothing?

WSC has its new season review by fans of each club - there is a question about last season - who you liked or disliked - we do not get a mention once.

Me - if someone disliked us that would be ok - or liked us would be ok - the fact is outsiders appear to be completely apathetic about us - which as we all know is normally worse then than being "liked or disliked" at least those two have an emotion attached to them?

What do we care - City is our Team but it would be nice to spark a bit of a reaction rather than nothing?

I know fans of several other Championship clubs who regard us as a bit of a joke. They don't take us seriously as rivals, and think it's hilarious that we spend money that we don't have, trying to become a "big club" when we don't have a cat in hell's chance.

That's the reality of how we are perceived.

I know fans of several other Championship clubs who regard us as a bit of a joke. They don't take us seriously as rivals, and think it's hilarious that we spend money that we don't have, trying to become a "big club" when we don't have a cat in hell's chance.

That's the reality of how we are perceived.

Spending money we dont have? If they look at the figures these idiots would probably see there club is doing exactly the same.

Its ignorance in many cases, fans that know jack sh1t about us and just open there mouths without thinking. Why would you not take us seriously as rivals? Who are we S****horpe FFS.

The level headed fans that actually know a thing or two about football that i have come across over the years have been sympathetic and some what baffled that Bristol a masive city has struggled to produce a real succesfull football team. The Potential at this club cannot be ignored though, i think the building of Ashton Vale will send a HUGE message around the country to be honest.

The level headed fans that actually know a thing or two about football that i have come across over the years have been sympathetic and some what baffled that Bristol a masive city has struggled to produce a real succesfull football team. The Potential at this club cannot be ignored though, i think the building of Ashton Vale will send a HUGE message around the country to be honest.

Agreed.

Living and working up here, I'm surrounded by fans of the Merseyside & Manchester clubs. The common theme I get when discussing football with people here is that how a city the size of Bristol (similar size to Liverpool & not far off Manchester) should be able to sustain at least one successful club. I'd say there's a fair section of football fans who see us as a potential mid-table PL club, especially with the huge catchment area we have to work with.

The new stadium will make a difference. However, I've had conversations with lads who follow Man Utd or Liverpool home and away, and one thing that keeps being mentioned is that they would quite like us to come up as we are, as they see Ashton Gate as one of the few remaining "proper" football grounds in the country, where there's a decent atmosphere (with a bit of an edge, it has to be said) and an away end with a low roof to make some noise. When you're used to going to the same new-build grounds situated out of town every season, I think they view a chance to visit a ground like AG as a bit of a welcome change.

As mentioned by a few in this thread, the notion that Bristol, and the South West in general, is a "rugby area" does crop up quite a bit though. The only way we can change that perception is by being successful, and attracting as big a crowd as we can.

How are we seen. We're not - we're invisible.

We've not been in the prem, which seems to be the measure of a decent club these days.

We don't have big name players - perhaps Maynard, but his profile is currently high due to Sven's interest ( see reference to big name managers) and he's no played in the prem

We don't have a big name manager, e.g. Roy keane's Ipswich, Sven's Leicester.

We aren't a fairy tale club. We were during the play off season, but since then we have gone back to our previous existance.

We don't have any indirect link with football celebrity, e.g. Posh manager is Sir Alex's son.

We've never won anything.

We are not in London.

We are not in the North east

We are not in the North West

We are not in the Midlands

We are not a sleeping giant.

We don't have a shiny new ground. e.g Brighton, who also benefit from a big name manager i.e. ex prem player with Chelsea

We haven't just been relegated from the prem.

We've not just been promoted from league 1.

We're not Leeds

Apart from that, we have a lot going for us!

Funniest post I've read in ages. Quality.

Spending money we dont have? If they look at the figures these idiots would probably see there club is doing exactly the same.

Its ignorance in many cases, fans that know jack sh1t about us and just open there mouths without thinking. Why would you not take us seriously as rivals? Who are we S****horpe FFS.

OK, I've just spoken to one of my workmates who follows another Championship club (Burnley).

He says the reason we are seen as a joke is because everybody knows that we only survive in this division because of our sugar daddy, subsidising our ludicrous "wages to turnover" ratio.

We don't have the tradition, the infrastructure, or the level of support needed to sustain a Championship club which can be taken seriously (in his opinion).

Call me old-fashioned but I'd rather have no reaction than "we don't like you" reaction. The latter normally means you've done something obnoxious...

When I'm talking about football, friends and colleagues (who have known me for 15years) usually say "Are you Bristol Rovers or City?" or they say "Are you in League 1 now?".

Basically, Bristol City just doesn't register on their radar.

We shouldn't be too uppity about this. I expect that S****horpe, Peterborough and Doncaster fans get the same reaction. And, frankly, those are the type of teams we should be comparing ourselves with. mad.gif

Archived