IGNORED

Interesting Converstaion....

spudski

No, can't see rugby Union getting more popular, it's been ruined by kicking and the players are just as big ******* as footballers.

Rugby league has potential but hasn't expanded much since super league.

Not sure what City can do, make the club more financially accessible maybe? Perhaps actually make it easier for fans to get to the ground from none south bristol areas? It's tough, because like this thread has shown, football seems to have lost it's magic to a number of people for a number of reasons.

Rugby was the only other sport on, it could have been anything, even the Cricket. The thing was...they just didn't want to watch the Football, which like i said was a first.

Like you say...the magic certainly seems to have gone. Particularly amongst those of us who remember the fun days.

I think this stadium thing has made the supporters of BCFC take their eyes off the ball, the stadium will be our home, but SL is a business man and knows the future for the stadium is with Bristol hosting concerts and other things of that ilk, IT WILL NOT BE OUR SAVIOUR.

The answer to your question SPUDSKI is "aint got a clue" :whistle2:

I had an insightful conversation with a bunch of lads down the pub last night. All were/are City Supporters, but have stopped going since roughly midway through last season. All have been going regularly since their teens and are now in their 30's/40's.

The usual reasons came out... Too expensive, Boring football, Not entertaining, No atmosphere, too many restrictions etc,etc,etc.

What did suprise me though, is they all to a man said, that they feel let down by the Club. Full of hollow promises, poorly managed, poor decision making. They felt that after all the furore of our promotion season, the Club have gone backwards and overspent on poor quality signings. They said that 'why should we keep paying good money, to see a Club going nowhere, and money needlessly frittered away'. They now felt they were being offered a product of inferior quality, run on a shoestring, and that the fans were having to suffer because of mistakes made by the Club. They have had enough...and felt it was unfair of the Club to expect fans to just turn up and support and pay good money, when the Club has been run like an Amateur outfit in the last couple of seasons...

Now don't shoot the messenger, but i sort of understood where they were coming from. I've supported City through thick and thin, but i must admit, i've met more 'fans' in recent months who have said similar. Have casual fans had enough?...what's your experience in talking to others.

It's rather disturbing when you think of the plans for the future...

My experience of other fans at the City ground is:-

They fill let down by the lack of quality players brought in this season. All we have had (except the Leeds lad) is so say, players of the future

The lack of get up and go and passion from a weak Millen

They all tell me they are not looking forward to this season. And are wondering when a decisive decision will be made by SL's Puppet CS.

We can not go on with a manager who folds his arms and shows no passion to the players or fans. (It is boring)

Against Ipswich (Who looked to me like a poor side at the moment) the amount of fans which left the Dolman stand with 10 mins remaiming BEFORE HALF TIME at only 1 - 0 down shocked me

They can see themselves we have gone back 4 or 5 years in Div 1 with a patchwork team most of all playing in the wrong positions to cover positions which SHOULD have been sorted in the close season

Not sure what City can do, make the club more financially accessible maybe? Perhaps actually make it easier for fans to get to the ground from none south bristol areas? It's tough, because like this thread has shown, football seems to have lost it's magic to a number of people for a number of reasons.

For starters bring back affordable pay on the day prices. For every league game I would release approx 500 tickets (unreserved seating) at a 'cash on turnstile' price of say £15 or £20.

Something like this must be incorporated into the plan for the new stadium.

Rugby was the only other sport on, it could have been anything, even the Cricket. The thing was...they just didn't want to watch the Football, which like i said was a first.

Like you say...the magic certainly seems to have gone. Particularly amongst those of us who remember the fun days.

Spudski - I was at the cricket today..which was world class entertainment. For more or less the price of a ticket at the Gate.

Now City have a very special place in my heart. But I'm afraid that having bought the whole push for the Prem thing this time last year, and invested heavily in recent years both in STs and travel home and away, this season is different. The habit is broken...as it has been before in my 30 adult years supporting the club. First time - after a long haul through the relegations of the 80s and the subsequent revival - was when Lumsden took over from Jordan...

...my enthusiasm returned with John Ward...second dip was when Benny arrived...

...Danny W revived me...

...third dip (off a cliff) was Tinnion's appointment (I can see in my minds eye exactly where I was standing when that bombshell dropped)...

...GJ worked the old magic...

...fourth was Saturday where despite doing my best for a season I finally gave up on Keith.

In all cases the common thread is a manager with zero charisma who it's pretty apparent is destined to fail from the off. (Cue the calls to give KM time.)

Doubtless the enthusiasm will return some day...maybe the stadium will do it. In the meantime three teenage kids and their interests draw me elsewhere...to the relief of my bank balance...

This has been an excellent thread. As someone said earlier...the club should be reading it. I'm sure that my perspective is coloured by the fact that I've not lived in Bristol at any time in the past 30 years and travel to matches is a big part of the cost of supporting the club...in time and money. The effort required to get to matches - and the cost to the rest of my family - has at times been huge. If I was living around the corner I might well feel differently.

Spudski - I was at the cricket today..which was world class entertainment. For more or less the price of a ticket at the Gate.

Now City have a very special place in my heart. But I'm afraid that having bought the whole push for the Prem thing this time last year, and invested heavily in recent years both in STs and travel home and away, this season is different. The habit is broken...as it has been before in my 30 adult years supporting the club. First time - after a long haul through the relegations of the 80s and the subsequent revival - was when Lumsden took over from Jordan...

...Danny W revived me...

...third dip (off a cliff) was Tinnion's appointment (I can see in my minds eye exactly where I was standing when that bombshell dropped)...

...fourth was Saturday where despite doing my best for a season I finally gave up on Keith.

In all cases the common thread is a manager with zero charisma who it's pretty apparent is destined to fail from the off. (Cue the calls to give KM time.)

Doubtless the enthusiasm will return some day...maybe the stadium will do it. In the meantime three teenage kids and their interests draw me elsewhere...to the relief of my bank balance...

This has been an excellent thread. As someone said earlier...the club should be reading it. I'm sure that my perspective is coloured by the fact that I've not lived in Bristol at any time in the past 30 years and travel to matches is a big part of the cost of supporting the club...in time and money. The effort required to get to matches - and the cost to the rest of my family - has at times been huge. If I was living around the corner I might well feel differently.

I'm also a big Cricket fan ( my statement re Cricket in the pub, is usually it's not condusive ). The amount of money spent at Cricket, either 20/20, one day or Test, is great value considering the atmosphere, entertainment, lack of restictions, and time spent watching. A fantastic win for England today... :thumbsup:

When I was young free and single I used to be a massive City fan years ago, followed tons of away games during the Ward years, season ticket etc but then I settled down and had a couple young 'uns and my new step son who was 14 wanted to go to a Premier League match so we started going to the Emirates, £50 for both of us, half a tank of fuel. A nice day out once a month.

I did think about going back to the gate but I'd rather pay a couple quid more for my ticket in a world class stadium with world class players. Unfortunately the football probably isn't much better at the moment :fastasleep:

To echo what others have said, this must be the "only reasonable and sensible comments allowed" thread. Had to double check I was on the right fans' forum!

I have to say, in my experience and from others have said on here over the years, I think this is a really well run club who, on the whole, are very responsive to their fans. They've taken on board what kind of new stadium we want, if it ever gets built. They've emphasised, with fans backing, the need to avoid another identikit ground. Small things such as David Lloyd asking us whether we wanted to see a return to music everytime a goal is scored (thank, thank god most of us don't), and then listening to what we've said. Even silly things such as asking us what music we want played at the ground, on the last home game of the season for example. Emails by people at the club with contact details, and always getting a response to one within 24-48 hours.

I know these are only small things, but taken together, in my eyes, they make the club one that listens to its supporters.

The new stadium thing still really concerns me. Yes, we need it, badly, but a half empty new stadium (unless we're promoted) will not be good, and surely lose us money.

Football-wise? As people have recognised, our first season in this division was a ridiculous over-achievement.

Personally, I think we're many years from challenging for automatic promotion. Will take an inspiring and top manager for this. And I'm not sure we've got one at the moment.

...Danny W revived me...

I agree - excellent thread. When GJ came in he was very much a manager on the up, he was used to success with his promotions at Yeovil and had taken them as far as they may ever go. Despite his dodgy start with us he carried on in this vein. I was only thinking today whilst watching soccer saturday, how norwich had done a similar thing in taking lambert from colchester and how he is a winner. Who do people think the next Paul Lambert could be? Is this the type of manager we need to be looking for again?

good ridance crap fans ! bet they were saying this when we were sitting in league 1 for years! or when we were nearly out of exsistance, being a fan isnt a choice you can just stop because were in a bad stage and then come back when were doing well! just imagine being a bloody barnet fan doing nothing in the basement league for years........ f off! :bruce_h4h:

good ridance crap fans ! bet they were saying this when we were sitting in league 1 for years! or when we were nearly out of exsistance, being a fan isnt a choice you can just stop because were in a bad stage and then come back when were doing well! just imagine being a bloody barnet fan doing nothing in the basement league for years........ f off! :bruce_h4h:

And it was going so well :whistle2:

I won't bite.. but i have friends who live in Bologna Italy, who travel twice a year to England to specifically watch Barnet play. It's not all about results. If you read and understood all the posts in this thread, then you would surely understand that.

There is a bigger picture.

Please contribute something constructive...or this thread will go the same way as every other one.

With respect, please have respect for other fans on this thread who have Supported City for most of their lives, and have a lot more experience than yourself, going by your Avatar.

Prankred - I'll bite a bit. But you've not risen to the occasion I'm afraid...

This is the sensible post thread...

I can't speak for others...but when we nearly went out of existence I was on the only bus that went to Peterborough for a cup match in '82...saw us draw 0-0 away at Corinthian Casuals...etc etc. There will be others on here with similar tales. It's a long way from Dulwich Hamlets to the Play Off final...which is why when someone in the club starts talking of a return to the top flight your hopes rise.

This is far better than the football was back then...I think we all acknowledge that. But then the club was struggling to survive. There was no promise of anything but the best that could be managed. We all understood that and there was an amazing community feeling. When the team went up at Chester there was an impromptu celebration for fans and players in the Supporters Club back in Bristol after the match...Tom Ritchie leapt off the team bus into my brothers arms...we were all in it together...in a way that we simply aren't now...

...there is more to life than supporting a football team in person. But you never stop supporting even if you do so from afar.

It's a problem for the club if it can't attract the fan base through the gates.

I won't bite.. but i have friends who live in Bologna Italy, who travel twice a year to England to specifically watch Barnet play. It's not all about results. If you read and understood all the posts in this thread, then you would surely understand that.

There is a bigger picture.

Please contribute something constructive...or this thread will go the same way as every other one.

With respect, please have respect for other fans on this thread who have Supported City for most of their lives, and have a lot more experience than yourself, going by your Avatar.

Chin up Spudski. At least you have the distinction of starting a thread that saw 78 sensible and well thought out post's before it descended into the inevitable.

Chin up Spudski. At least you have the distinction of starting a thread that saw 78 sensible and well thought out post's before it descended into the inevitable.

Hopefully it will continue in the same thought out way...I've really enjoyed everyones contributions. And although they may sound negative, people obviously love the Club, otherwise they wouldn't be so gracious in making such great and passionate posts.

Archived