IGNORED

Interesting Converstaion....

spudski

I had an insightful conversation with a bunch of lads down the pub last night. All were/are City Supporters, but have stopped going since roughly midway through last season. All have been going regularly since their teens and are now in their 30's/40's.

The usual reasons came out... Too expensive, Boring football, Not entertaining, No atmosphere, too many restrictions etc,etc,etc.

What did suprise me though, is they all to a man said, that they feel let down by the Club. Full of hollow promises, poorly managed, poor decision making. They felt that after all the furore of our promotion season, the Club have gone backwards and overspent on poor quality signings. They said that 'why should we keep paying good money, to see a Club going nowhere, and money needlessly frittered away'. They now felt they were being offered a product of inferior quality, run on a shoestring, and that the fans were having to suffer because of mistakes made by the Club. They have had enough...and felt it was unfair of the Club to expect fans to just turn up and support and pay good money, when the Club has been run like an Amateur outfit in the last couple of seasons...

Now don't shoot the messenger, but i sort of understood where they were coming from. I've supported City through thick and thin, but i must admit, i've met more 'fans' in recent months who have said similar. Have casual fans had enough?...what's your experience in talking to others.

It's rather disturbing when you think of the plans for the future...

sounds about right, fans are expected to cough up a lot of money to fund the rockstar lifestyle of a load of young guys, who in the main, just arent very good - certainly not good enough to justify the money they are on - if you dont believe me, why is no one else looking to take them on? The traditional city areas in south bristol arent awash with money, but the supercars, and designer houses in portishead are just unattainable for normal people.

Totall agree with you Spudski , I know a lot of people who claim to be City 'supporters' but have just fallen out of love with the club. For example I was chatting to 3 lads at my local football club about a month ago and they all said they were going to watch us a lot more this year when they were not playing. When I arrived there after the Ipswich game all 3 were sat in the bar. "Did you go today" I asked "couldn't be f88ckin bothered" came the reply. After asking what had changed in the last few weeks all 3 cited a lack of transfer activity and a feeling that the club are making no progress with a manager that is unknown outside of Bristol.

Makes no odds to me , I used to catch the bus down to AG in the early 80's when we were in the 4th division and can't see anything putting me off City but there are thousands in Bristol who dont share our love and commitment to the cause.

There was another thread on here saying that the club had gone backwards since the Play off final against Hull, personally I think that in some ways the problem with reaching that play off final was the fact that the it raised everyones expectations. I don't think this is just true of the fans either, I think the overall mentality at the club, whether conscious or sub-conscious, is that we should be meeting that standard every season. I am beginning to think it is an infection of sorts which has particularly affected those players who were here at the time.

Personally I think that season was a bit of a fluke, the momentum of the previous season, the work ethic of that particular group of players and (whether some wish to believe it or not) the sheer force of will that Gary Johnson exuded just came together. You could even say that but for Bradley Orr's terrible injury, it would have taken us all the way. edit: Each of those things was hard if not impossible to maintain. The issue now is whether that "perfect storm" scenario can be recreated when we are becoming an increasingly smaller player in one of europes most competitive leagues.

As far as the guys you were talking to down the pub, well I guess it depends what your priorities are, again, personally speaking, football is my one personal outlet, I have never been one for going down the pub with my mates etc, so I can justify the money I spend on a season ticket in that context. I also think if I was to be down there with a group like that it would be easy to fall into that mindset and start convincing myself that it's all a waste of time etc etc.

Being a football supporter at a club of our standing is a habit, once it is broken nowadays the price of attending a game at match day prices makes it harder to return. This is why I have always been in favour of a new ground, with better facilities, more seating options and the opportunity to reduce the cost of going to a game for the casual supporter. That coupled with even a modicum of success I think would bring back those guys and others.

Totall agree with you Spudski , I know a lot of people who claim to be City 'supporters' but have just fallen out of love with the club. For example I was chatting to 3 lads at my local football club about a month ago and they all said they were going to watch us a lot more this year when they were not playing. When I arrived there after the Ipswich game all 3 were sat in the bar. "Did you go today" I asked "couldn't be f88ckin bothered" came the reply. After asking what had changed in the last few weeks all 3 cited a lack of transfer activity and a feeling that the club are making no progress with a manager that is unknown outside of Bristol.

Makes no odds to me , I used to catch the bus down to AG in the early 80's when we were in the 4th division and can't see anything putting me off City but there are thousands in Bristol who dont share our love and commitment to the cause.

i still go but dont look forwrad to it as much. what used to be 7 or 8 of us all going down there early on the piss is now just 2 of us going down for the game.

im 26 and hadnt missed a home league game for 21 years until the end of last season where i just didnt bother

I've been converted to being a more casual attendee. As have other family members - and for all the reasons you mention Spudski. Maybe it's different if you live on the doorstep. I've been at the cricket this week. On Thursday I paid £5 more than I did to watch us play Ipswich. Obviously a day of Test cricket was far better value for money. Holding the Board and Steve Lansdown responsible for anything isn't popular...so I'll say no more.

One of the only reasons I'm still going is my 7 year old has something I'm begining to lose...the fire in the belly to get down there on match days. I had it last Saturday and was really looking forward to the match and had a slight edge of confidence that was destroyed as the afternoon went on.

My lad begged to go down to the Swindon game on the Tuesday so in the end gave up and got some tickets...quietly I was delighted it was called off.

I tend to agree with many posts that we got false hopes in the play off final but also agree as a club we have gone backwards. The play offs was a long time ago now and people are still walking away. It saddens me to see we must ship out players before we can bring in a loanee as this is telling me we are now being run on a shoestring and I have wondered the effect of SL stepping down, maybe this is the start of it.

I appreciate we have a big squad, but the quality just isn't there and the likes of the lad from Man City is probably what we need right now but the club is saying, yep we can have him, but we can't afford him!

Is there any point in having a wealthy shareholder? I appreciate he supported the club well in the past, but my personal feeling is this season being in a relegation battle unless we take the small gambles in football.

MM

It is rather worrying tbh.

I was shocked to see so many empty seats for the opening day fixture. Also the atmosphere before the game was very flat.

I'd be very worried if i were the board.

Like has been said, there will always be a hardcore following that will go, but imho, the casual supporter is dwindling. Whether the Club can run on that small hardcore following... I doubt it.

Someone mentioned the new Stadium... It will generate more revenue most likely through corperate,and gigs etc. But it was interesting when i mentioned the new Stadium to these lads. They confirmed my thoughts...all said they'd go out of interest to start with, but if the football was the same and entertainment the same, then they wouldn't bother going. Going out of curiosity...

As for someone not commentating negatively on SL, don't worry, it's true many won't hear of it. We can all be thankfull for the money he has provided for the Club, and the passion he has shown, but imho, he has ****** up big time in his football decision making. With his money and someone of the Ilk of Warnock in charge we could have been going places.

As it is, i'm happy to lump it, and support Milly...just a worry more aren't prepared to do the same.

Spudski, I think the stadium will be a short term fix. People will be sat in new seats watching the same. Since SL stepped down it's got a little worse and yes, his decisions were shocking in some courts, but the appointment of Copple was unlucky as he may have not seen what was coming.

I too will continue to support Milly as imo has done a good job to steady the ship, but the board must realise shipping out players before we can bring a loanee in sends the wrong signals to the fans. We are a championship club that has wealthy backers and we need those wealthy backers to continue. Stop backing and league one here we come!

MM

I used to be a season ticket holder but haven't been a regular since moving away during the Tinnion days.

Bristol City is still the club I "care" about, hence my reading and commenting on this forum every day, but the actual matches I can really take or leave.

When I do return to the area to visit family I will often as not go to watch Forest Green rather than City because it's cheaper and easier and whilst the quality is undoubtedly poorer, the entertainment value is generally superior.

The rest of the time (though I'm by no means a regular watcher of football anyway) I go to watch a local non-league side, Guiseley AFC. They play at a lower level even than Forest Green, but they currently have a very watchable team. They play attacking football, pass the ball very well considering, and have a small squad of friendly part-time players who are very easy to identify with.

It may lack the glamour and (some of) the quality, but non-league football offers as much entertainment and excitement at a fraction of the price demanded by City and other Championship clubs.

And the current board are already making the decisions to fix the problems they spoke about. How can people go on about how much we've over spent on crud and how "mismanaged" we've been and in the same breath demand big signings?

The lack of common sence with some people is the most worrying aspect.

The most annoying thing is, it seems like it's fans who were here in '82 who are doing the bulk of the moaning in this regard... They should know better.

And the current board are already making the decisions to fix the problems they spoke about. How can people go on about how much we've over spent on crud and how "mismanaged" we've been and in the same breath demand big signings?

Well said JT.

As you say its lack of common sense.

The most annoying thing is, it seems like it's fans who were here in '82 who are doing the bulk of the moaning in this regard... They should know better.

That's very true Jordan, but you have to see it from the family mans point of view, the casual supporter.

By percentage comparison, SL has provided good money that has been frittered away on many poor signings. Now we are in debt because of that overspending, he has pulled out and said enough is enough. However the supporter is still being asked to spend nearly £30 to go and watch 90 mins of football. That £30 is a lot of money to many fans and their family. Many have done the same as SL...walked away and said 'enough is enough, i'm no longer willing to bankroll a club with my hard earned cash, and see it frittered away, and spent on the wages of poor footballers who are living the life while i struggle'. SL has withdrawn his finacial support from what it used to be, and many fans have followed suit.

Does the 20 million debt hurt SL's lifestyle as much as asking a casual family of four approx £100 a game. Ask many whether that £100 is value for 90 mins entertainment...when it can be spent more prudently over a period of time on other things.

Full of hollow promises, poorly managed, poor decision making. They felt that after all the furore of our promotion season, the Club have gone backwards and overspent on poor quality signings. They said that 'why should we keep paying good money, to see a Club going nowhere, and money needlessly frittered away'. They now felt they were being offered a product of inferior quality, run on a shoestring, and that the fans were having to suffer because of mistakes made by the Club. They have had enough...and felt it was unfair of the Club to expect fans to just turn up and support and pay good money, when the Club has been run like an Amateur outfit in the last couple of seasons...

You said these guys have been going to watch City for 20-30 years and this has only just hit them ?

If anything the club is operating on more money now, we have the players the managers wanted whilst in the job, the football is no worse or better than any other time really.... maybe it's not city's predicament but their ages, look around any club and for every decade of age you can probably see noticable fewer fans of that age... it's a young persons game, the older you get the more likely you are to become a armchair supporter - visiting the odd game with you son/daughter/wife.

Interesting post Spudski.

I totally understand what these fans are saying, you couldn't really argue with many of their points, however this does seem to me to be cutting your nose off to spite your face. If all fans thought like this, we would have no crowds, no steady income and we would either go out of business or end up in the Conference. To be successful for a sustained period of time you need a good level of steady income to pay decent wages. This is the difference between taking chances on bargain buys (which is what we do now) and competing with the likes of Forest/Cardiff etc for the better players. I know people ridicule Cardiff for paying high wages, but you need to pay a certain level to attract the better players (as a prime example, Nicky will be on decent wages if he signs his new contract).

This money either comes from investors (which we know we cannot get right now) or from the fans.

Now lets look at another scenario. What if a large group of people (fans) in the City decided "City need some extra cash to compete in the Championship, lets go along and watch them". Lets just say for arguments sake this bumped our crowds up to 20k+ average attendance. This extra income would enable us to spend more on the playing front and bring in 2/3 quality players. This could be the difference that turns draws into wins and loses into draws. We then compete, more sustainably, for promotion.

Sometimes a club has the wrong owners and need a change to progress.

Sometimes a club has the wrong manager/backroom staff and needs a change to progress.

Sometimes larger attendances or lower attendances can be the difference between failure and success.

Cash has obviously been the issue since the playoff final. To solve this, we need more people watching not less.

Interesting post Spudski.

I totally understand what these fans are saying, you couldn't really argue with many of their points, however this does seem to me to be cutting your nose off to spite your face. If all fans thought like this, we would have no crowds, no steady income and we would either go out of business or end up in the Conference. To be successful for a sustained period of time you need a good level of steady income to pay decent wages. This is the difference between taking chances on bargain buys (which is what we do now) and competing with the likes of Forest/Cardiff etc for the better players. I know people ridicule Cardiff for paying high wages, but you need to pay a certain level to attract the better players (as a prime example, Nicky will be on decent wages if he signs his new contract).

This money either comes from investors (which we know we cannot get right now) or from the fans.

Now lets look at another scenario. What if a large group of people (fans) in the City decided "City need some extra cash to compete in the Championship, lets go along and watch them". Lets just say for arguments sake this bumped our crowds up to 20k+ average attendance. This extra income would enable us to spend more on the playing front and bring in 2/3 quality players. This could be the difference that turns draws into wins and loses into draws. We then compete, more sustainably, for promotion.

Sometimes a club has the wrong owners and need a change to progress.

Sometimes a club has the wrong manager/backroom staff and needs a change to progress.

Sometimes larger attendances or lower attendances can be the difference between failure and success.

Cash has obviously been the issue since the playoff final. To solve this, we need more people watching not less.

Sometimes people get fed up by being offered the same old product and seeing the same mistakes constantly repeated. I do not want to apportion blame, I just don't want (After 20 years of attending home and away) to stop spending my wages on what I consider to be poor value for money.

You said these guys have been going to watch City for 20-30 years and this has only just hit them ?

If anything the club is operating on more money now, we have the players the managers wanted whilst in the job, the football is no worse or better than any other time really.... maybe it's not city's predicament but their ages, look around any club and for every decade of age you can probably see noticable fewer fans of that age... it's a young persons game, the older you get the more likely you are to become a armchair supporter - visiting the odd game with you son/daughter/wife.

I think you maybe missing the point...these guys were going regularly up until the end of last season.

City maybe operating on more money, but as they've said themselves...they've overspent and can't continue to do so. They've bollocked up. We are having to continue on a shoestring in comparison, whilst paying the wages of unwanted players. Poor management and poor football decision making. For what it's worth, we may as well be operating on far less money...as so many players are bleeding this Club dry and don't bring nothing to the Club in return. Who's fault is that? Not theirs...But the Board, SL and the managers they put in place. Now fans are expected to still go,and financially support the Club.

Ok...we all know the why's and wherefor's... but if City are trying to encourage more new Supporters, how are they going to do that, when they've completely bolloxed up financially, and the money lending Chairman has walked and pulled the plug on any further significant spending, but is yet expecting the average man to turn up, pay a significant percentage of his wages to do so, whilst watching poor quality players, providing poor Entertainment, in the knowledge that there is little hope of being successful in the coming seasons.

You and me know the score...but the fans the Club are expecting to return and many who presently go, don't see it like that. Hense the dwindling numbers and apathy around the Club.

I agree with you to a certain extent, but I do agree with the original poster.

For me, deep down...its not the lack of signings thats bothered me. Its how this club has been managed over the last couple of years. When we got promoted from League 1, Lansdown said this time would be different, and the board would not make the same mistakes that the club made back in 1998. Back then we overspent on crap, didn't make the correct changes when was needed to help the club evolve and basically went backwards very, very quickly.

We may not be going backwards as fast as we did back in 1998....but we are going backwards.

We had one great season after we got promoted, but that was very much riding the crest of promotion. Do you not agree that this club is ran in a very amateur way?

As some of the people Spudski knows has said, its got to the point with me where im so disillusioned by it I can pretty much take it or leave it. I genuinely only go now, because I've been doing it so long its "the norm". I look at our club and see so many people who are having an easy ride, in their cushty little job they've had for years because they are safe and secure. It makes me angry and sad.

For me, the club is so stale.....right the way through. This is something that I could see some 2 years ago (I've said on here before I wanted change after we drew 1-1 with Ipswich over the Easter in 2009, for me the writing was on the wall).....yet now, 2 years and 4 months on from this game, we still got the same stale set up, the same amateur mentality as a club and still have this old boys brigade mentality.

Ok, Coppell was unfortunate and we will never know what really happened. I was over the moon with his appointment, however questioned it the day after he got it!! He had been out of a job for a year yet "wanted a holiday and wouldnt be at the remaining games". For me, I dont believe for one second Coppell was all enthiusiastic when meeting with Lansdown....and was maybe more talked into taken the job, then actually wanting it. There must have been some indication that he wasnt completely up for the job....surely? just my opinion though, like i said we will never know.

I really thought this club was going places a couple of years ago. Being an England and Bristol City fan, ive always come to expect very little.....but the last couple of years I really bought into the whole new vision that Lansdown and co. set out, and thought things were going to be different.

It is rather worrying tbh.

I was shocked to see so many empty seats for the opening day fixture. Also the atmosphere before the game was very flat.

I'd be very worried if i were the board.

Like has been said, there will always be a hardcore following that will go, but imho, the casual supporter is dwindling. Whether the Club can run on that small hardcore following... I doubt it.

Someone mentioned the new Stadium... It will generate more revenue most likely through corperate,and gigs etc. But it was interesting when i mentioned the new Stadium to these lads. They confirmed my thoughts...all said they'd go out of interest to start with, but if the football was the same and entertainment the same, then they wouldn't bother going. Going out of curiosity...

As for someone not commentating negatively on SL, don't worry, it's true many won't hear of it. We can all be thankfull for the money he has provided for the Club, and the passion he has shown, but imho, he has ****** up big time in his football decision making. With his money and someone of the Ilk of Warnock in charge we could have been going places.

As it is, i'm happy to lump it, and support Milly...just a worry more aren't prepared to do the same.

I was of the impression though that when the stadium is up and built assuming we have managed to tread water and stay at this level we are going to see a big push for promotion? Tbh that is what i think is in SL and the boards mind. See the next few years through with Millen hopefully doing enough to keep in this league and then really give it a go when we are at Ashton Vale. Might be wrong but thats what it feels like..

A new stadium combined with reasonable prices (which im sure the club will do there up most to do) and big investment in the squad then i think the crowds ar Ashton Vale certainly in the first year will suprise some people. Of course they will tail off if the football is poor, do you think Brighton for example will continue to get full houses at there new ground year in year out? No chance. But if from that first season at the new ground we can use the buzz around the club to our advantage then who knows maybe that season could be the year..

In regards to the casual fan i agree wth what your saying. I havn't had a season ticket since 09/10 so i suppose i come into this 'casual fan' bracket. To be honest there are many things the club still dont do to make it easy for fans like me that cant commit every week. The EE is a BIG reason why many casual fans i know dont bother, nightmare to get in there which just puts me off going. The only stand i enjoy going in but the hoopsyou have to jump through to get in there are a joke.

Likewise to others. I've only missed a couple of home games max each season for the last 32 years, but I had virtually no enthusiasm for the opening game this season. I went because it's what you do, and within half hour of the game starting my mind was drifting. We left as soon as the third goal went in, and as things currently stand I don't know when I'll be going back. It's nothing to to do with money as I'm fortunate enough to be comfortable in that respect, it's just a genuine lack of interest. I reckon things may change when the days start to draw in and the weather turns colder. There's bugger all to do in the winter, so my enthusiasm may return. However, if we carry on down the path we appear to be, then that's debatable too.

It's nothing to do with common sense. The countries finances are in a mess, we're forced to accept cuts and pay higher taxes for poorer services. Bristol City's finances in a mess. People have the option of deciding if they pay for the substandard entertainment being offered. Common sense has encouraged many discerning fans not to do so.

It's nothing to do with common sense. The countries finances are in a mess, we're forced to accept cuts and pay higher taxes for poorer services. Bristol City's finances in a mess. People have the option of deciding if they pay for the substandard entertainment being offered. Common sense has encouraged many discerning fans not to do so.

Another interesting point, I couldn't help thinking that life is strange when you can go from news reports about riots and "poor" or "greedy" people stealing goods, into sports news about individuals being traded between clubs for multi millions of pounds.

Bloody hell! This thread is in real danger of being a proper discussion rather than turning into a personal slanging match!

They are all interesting points. TBH people who can't be bothered anymore do annoy me, especially as we are in our 2nd most consistantly high placed league position for the last god knows how many decades (only topped by the late 70's)

I would watch us whatever league we are in and i know many feel the same. Unfortunately MANY MORE don't feel that way and are usually the happiest to moan loudly.

Without a doubt, the cost of watching modern day football is the biggest dampner to peoples interest in watching their local team. People need value for their money, however it is spent and football all too often does not deliver this.

I think for many the passion for the Club has wanned...maybe like it has for SL? Who know's...

Unless you can commit to watching football every week, and have a Season ticket and live local, then watching football has become a very restrictive, slightly complicated and expensive business. I'm sure more people would rock up if they were able to do so on the day, for a reasonable amount of money.

The hassle and expense for many fans that have to travel across the City, just doesn't make it worth it for the Entertainment and enjoyment being dished up, regardless of what League we are in.

Like someone else pointed out, you can go and watch your local non league side for less than a tenner, and stand and have a pint with fellow mates. Ok the football may not be to a great standard, but you can still have fun, be entertained, and had that 'Football Experience'.

When was the last time you gasped in awe at the skill on display at City? It's nothing special down there. It's not value for money.

I make the effort, I get the train, then a taxi, then a few jars and a bite to eat. Then a programme. Watch the game, a few jars, then home. All round i'm looking at close to £100. Is it worth it? No

For the same enjoyment i can do the same with a lot less hassle and restrictions for a third of the price at my local non league club. Is it worth it? Yes

There are MANY MANY fans who feel the same way.

Cricket, Rugby, Golf, Speedway, all sports locally, that either watching or competing in, offer better entertainment value per £1 and time. Football needs to wise up Quickly.

We've been spoiled horrendously since the early 90s in terms of success, and since '99 last year was our only finish outside of the top 10. Not many clubs reach feats like that, and a couple of seasons of mediocrity (10th doesn't count, sorry) isn't going to harm anyone long term. Crowds come and go, the more fickle amongst us will be back the moment they smell a good cup run or a shot at promotion.

My day:

Tickets: £60

Fuel: £10

Lunch: £20

Total: £90

Now obviously I don't have to buy us lunch, but we leave too early to have lunch at home. £90 for an afternoons 'entertainment' is well beyond many people's finances nowadays. The way I see it is there are two types of stay aways. Those that can afford it, but are fed up with what they are seeing and experiencing, and those that just simply cannot afford it. I can think of at least 6 mates that don't go anymore because they can't afford it. The prices are only going to go one way and it's not down, so things are only going to get worse. If the worst case scenario happens and we are relegated this season then I dread to think what our attendances would be next season, and far more worrying, how we would cope with our debt.

I think for many the passion for the Club has wanned...maybe like it has for SL? Who know's...

Unless you can commit to watching football every week, and have a Season ticket and live local, then watching football has become a very restrictive, slightly complicated and expensive business. I'm sure more people would rock up if they were able to do so on the day, for a reasonable amount of money.

The hassle and expense for many fans that have to travel across the City, just doesn't make it worth it for the Entertainment and enjoyment being dished up, regardless of what League we are in.

Like someone else pointed out, you can go and watch your local non league side for less than a tenner, and stand and have a pint with fellow mates. Ok the football may not be to a great standard, but you can still have fun, be entertained, and had that 'Football Experience'.

When was the last time you gasped in awe at the skill on display at City? It's nothing special down there. It's not value for money.

I make the effort, I get the train, then a taxi, then a few jars and a bite to eat. Then a programme. Watch the game, a few jars, then home. All round i'm looking at close to £100. Is it worth it? No

For the same enjoyment i can do the same with a lot less hassle and restrictions for a third of the price at my local non league club. Is it worth it? Yes

There are MANY MANY fans who feel the same way.

Cricket, Rugby, Golf, Speedway, all sports locally, that either watching or competing in, offer better entertainment value per £1 and time. Football needs to wise up Quickly.

Spudski, you are so right. I am from Bristol but currently live in Cheltenham. I am surprised how many of us season ticket holders do not live in Bristol. IT's a lot of hasstle to get to and from games, park the car safely etc. Costs me about 100 quid a game. Is it worth it? Probably not. I am more disappointed than angry because i love going to the games. I've had a love affair with city for many, many years but feel i may now be heading for a divorce. Simply too expensive and definately too much hasstle.

Archived