IGNORED

Arsene Wenger

Jordan Tansley

Ferguson reckons if you get 50% of your signings right you are doing ok. However Wenger tends to sign players like Koscielny and Squillaci whereas if he spent the equivalent money on 1 quality player for the same position he would be better off. False economy imo. He also focuses on signing young players for a future that never arrives.

Very good article in the Observer today btw:

http://www.guardian....enger-transfers

So Fabregas and Walcott are just flukes then, not too mention van persie, who was 3.5m buy i believe but is now worth 25m, even bendtner is valued around 10mil and was bought for next to nothing....Come on, a couple of decent signings in this window (Cahill, arteta, jagielka) and this is definately a top 4 team again.......that lot may cost 40m but reckon Wednesday will be a very interesting day at the emirates

So Fabregas and Walcott are just flukes then, not too mention van persie, who was 3.5m buy i believe but is now worth 25m, even bendtner is valued around 10mil and was bought for next to nothing....Come on, a couple of decent signings in this window (Cahill, arteta, jagielka) and this is definately a top 4 team again.......that lot may cost 40m but reckon Wednesday will be a very interesting day at the emirates

There was something in the paper the other day that his net transfer spend is +400 million!!!

There was something in the paper the other day that his net transfer spend is +400 million!!!

Fabregas and nasri alone have returned 45m profit, nasri was bought for 12.5, fabregas from barcelona academy, so only training costs.....

if that profit figure is true it makes a mockery of clubs like chelsea and man city, and he has sustained champions league football and competative league challenges year in year out.....i think he is one of the greatest club managers in the world, but is having his hands tied by a board who sanction big transfers but dont support the wages needed to bring these players in....

Top 4 again, mark my words

Not sure I made my point clear (though Walcott looks as much of a headless chicken much of the time as when he arrived to me). Wenger's argument has consistenly been that they are a young team who are always on the verge of winning the title. That title never comes. It's not that the young players aren't good but that a better balance of youth and experience might have paid off better imo. However I suspect he is held back by the wage limit (viz. the Observer article I referred to) so cannot necessarily compete with the top 3 on that basis. I reiterate my point though that spending say £20m on 1 quality player rather than £10m each on 2 average ones would have put Arsenal in a better position. Benitez was much the same at Liverpool where he seemed to spend a large proportion of his budget on average left backs! I see they have just managed to offload Insua, one of the many he seemed to sign.I can see much the same happening with some of Wengers signings who are not up the club's standards.

Guess its all a question of how you mark success!!!

for what its worth i think Stoke are the most amazing example of how to grow a football club and pulis has done a superb job for them, may be about to sign palacios and crouch, to think they got promoted the season we should have finished in top 2

I will give you sol Campbell. You ain't having lauren and cliche. Cole could not defend until he went to chelsea. The arsenal fan mentioned vermalen. I am a fan of him. But the fan said every week his positioning is awful and he is not as good as the sky cameras make out.

Toure in his pomp was pretty decent too

Unless wegner is going to be our next manager why the hell is this thread in the city chat.

Move it please mods

It's football chat mate. The title makes the thread content abundantly clear. If you dont want to read about Arsene Wenger , dont click would be my advice

Congratulations on the unbelievably pathetic thread. It's cringeworthy how embarrassing your attempted point scoring is.

On the subject of Wenger today was horrible. It was genuinely sad to see this happen to such a great Club and such a great manager. As soon as the team was announced it was quite clearly going to end in a heavy defeat, but 8 was unbelievable. Of course the injury and suspension situation is a nightmare but the team showed no fight whatsoever and had what appeared to be a football league back four. Investment is needed and I hope Wenger buys at least one defender before Wednesday.

As I said before obviously he has his flaws but Arsenal can't compete with the likes of United, Chelsea and City with wages and the Nasri situation sums that up. Wenger is clearly an outstanding manager and as anyone in football who knows anything has said, he has achieved a hell of a lot at Arsenal and receives much unwarranted stick. I hope Arsenal can turn it around as they are a great Club and sacking Wenger would be beyond foolish. He does however need to go out and invest.

It was a joke... Just like Wenger and Arsenal are quickly turning into!!!

for what its worth i think Stoke are the most amazing example of how to grow a football club and pulis has done a superb job for them, may be about to sign palacios and crouch, to think they got promoted the season we should have finished in top 2

Talk about chalk and cheese! I go to the Emirates 4 - 5 times a season to watch some of the best football played in Europe (Yeah I know about today!) , but be assured, give it a month or two and Mr Wenger"s team will be back in the top 5. Whereas Stoke..............congrats on their success, and so on............but I wouldn't cross the road to watch them play. To me their Pro-Success but Anti-Football.

As much as today was an embarrassing spanking for Arsenal, I think it needs to be put into context.

Only Szczesny & Van Persie (possibly Walcott), can be considered 1st choice players from today's line-up.

Losing Fabregas and Nasri is obviously a blow (Clichy too), but to be missing the likes of Vermaelen, Gibbs, Sagna, Song, Wilshere, Diaby, Frimpong and Gervinho is just way too many 1st team players to be without to visit Old Trafford (particularly when United are purring as they are right now!).

To assassinate Wenger's character and say he's never signed a good defender is completely inaccurate.

The current squad is missing 2 centre-halves, a midfielder and a striker.

People have been slagging off Wenger for ages as they were convinced he needed to sign a keeper, but he always knew he had an absolute diamond in Szczesny waiting in the wings (so why would he have wanted to sign Given or Foster or whoever else for millions, when he knew he had this guy coming through). Similarly, the likes of Frimpong & Wilshere will now mature into an excellent midfield. Together with Song, Gervinho, Van Persie, Gibbs & Sagna they still have a very very good 1st choice team, they've just been struck with a lot of injuries and silly suspensions so far this season. A new CB is a must though, and he will now go and buy Cahill for sure.

I honestly don't think it's all that bad down at the Emirates, they'll be fine, and yes, I think they will still be challenging for the top 4 this year.

As much as today was an embarrassing spanking for Arsenal, I think it needs to be put into context.

Only Szczesny & Van Persie (possibly Walcott), can be considered 1st choice players from today's line-up.

Losing Fabregas and Nasri is obviously a blow (Clichy too), but to be missing the likes of Vermaelen, Gibbs, Sagna, Song, Wilshere, Diaby, Frimpong and Gervinho is just way too many 1st team players to be without to visit Old Trafford (particularly when United are purring as they are right now!).

To assassinate Wenger's character and say he's never signed a good defender is completely inaccurate.

The current squad is missing 2 centre-halves, a midfielder and a striker.

People have been slagging off Wenger for ages as they were convinced he needed to sign a keeper, but he always knew he had an absolute diamond in Szczesny waiting in the wings (so why would he have wanted to sign Given or Foster or whoever else for millions, when he knew he had this guy coming through). Similarly, the likes of Frimpong & Wilshere will now mature into an excellent midfield. Together with Song, Gervinho, Van Persie, Gibbs & Sagna they still have a very very good 1st choice team, they've just been struck with a lot of injuries and silly suspensions so far this season. A new CB is a must though, and he will now go and buy Cahill for sure.

I honestly don't think it's all that bad down at the Emirates, they'll be fine, and yes, I think they will still be challenging for the top 4 this year.

Unless i'm mistaken ManUre have more injuries than Arsenal????!!!!

No offence your statement is bullshit.

And Song and Gervinho were suspended so they have no1 to blame but themselves....

And Song and Gervinho were suspended so they have no1 to blame but themselves....

Pretty sure Arsenal have more injuries? Wenger's had a nightmare this transfer window but I believe with a fully fit squad and perhaps Cahill in centre back, theyll be top 6 at least. Wenger won't go, and they were always gonna get a drubbing with the shocking team they had on the pitch. They've got no strength in depth, however, and if these injuries do persist, I fear for Arsenal.

Pretty sure Arsenal have more injuries? Wenger's had a nightmare this transfer window but I believe with a fully fit squad and perhaps Cahill in centre back, theyll be top 6 at least. Wenger won't go, and they were always gonna get a drubbing with the shocking team they had on the pitch. They've got no strength in depth, however, and if these injuries do persist, I fear for Arsenal.

Vidic

Rafael

Fabio

Fletcher

Owen

Carrick

Valencia

Gibson

I wonder if this could be his final game.

I am not exaggerating when I say this is the worst Arsenal defensive performance I have seen in my lifetime

10 years doesn't mean very much though does it?!

Wenger won't go or be pushed. A manager who has been in charge of a team like Arsenal for so long doesn't just leave.

Vidic

Rafael

Fabio

Fletcher

Owen

Carrick

Valencia

Gibson

Owen, Gibson and Fabio aren't 1st choice for a start. Would Valencia get in over Young or Nani right now, same with Carrick over Cleverley or Anderson given their form this year? They have strength in depth though and no mistake- hell they won a CL semi 4-1 despite resting loads of 1st choice. Very good side right now. Arsenal on the other hand, though when they get their 1st XI back they will surely improve markedly. Wenger needs to buy 2 or 3 players though and his/the boards hesitancy in that area is baffling.

similar to us a stubborn manager who wont ******* change...difference is Wenger has a decent track record. Unlike Millen.

Good fun taking the miss out of Gooners & spurs fans tomorrw, specially after we've been so shit this season, and getting it from them. Wonder how long before we tanked that badly?

similar to us a stubborn manager who wont ******* change...difference is Wenger has a decent track record. Unlike Millen.

Good fun taking the miss out of Gooners & spurs fans tomorrw, specially after we've been so shit this season, and getting it from them. Wonder how long before we tanked that badly?

I wouldn't take the p1ss too much if I were you.....

Vidic

Rafael

Fabio

Fletcher

Owen

Carrick

Valencia

Gibson

Vidic is the only one of those that would definitely start.

Arsenal were missing three of their back four - Sagna, Vermaelen, Gibbs, as well as Song, Wilshire and Gervinho.

That's six players who would definitely have started if available. If you include Fabregas and Nasri then EIGHT of their first choice XI over the summer were unavailable.

Wenger needs to go out and strengthen the spine of the team, a centre back, a defensive midfielder and a striker (which it looks like he's got), they could do with another wide player to be fair.

Arsenal's plight is highlighted by how other teams reserves would strengthen their first team. Berbatov, Meireles and Palacios would all be excellent additions who would start but cannot get a game for their current clubs.

If I was Wenger I'd offer Everton £40 million for Baines, Jagielka and Arteta and then test the water for the three others above.

Yes, Man U have a lot of injuries too, but that's not my point.

Arsenal were missing pretty much all of their 1st choice team from last season, and their replacements are either not good enough or not experienced enough. So my statement isn't bullshit, it is very relevant.

With regard to your last point, you may also have missed the bit where I mentioned that some were missing through silly suspensions. Still missing though aren't they? And that was my actual point, the missing players, once returned, still make up a very very good team, so although it was a freak result, it should be put into context..

Exceptionalmanager ain't he ;)

:laughcont:

Ha. I did think of the mini discussion in the Nicky threead, as the 6th, 7th and 8th went in yesterday. Merson and (your favourite) Gary Neville both said though that they would be stupid to lose Wenger. I agree with this. If he brings in 2 or 3 players before the window shuts and gets some of his more important injured players back again, I would still fully expect them to finish in the top 6 and with the right signings even 4th. Someone posted a piece on here a few days ago claiming that the board won't let Wenger spend money. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but will be interesting to see how much money he does spend. I don't think spending a bit more on higher quality players would be totally at odds with his philosophy of bringing in youngsters. Perhaps if he had gone for Mata when he had the chance instead of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain it would have improved the squad. They were linked with Jovetic as well, who is a quality player now and would be a great investment. I would suggest that defenders are a priority at the moment though and a combatative CM, one of which should be a natural leader. Van Persie is without doubt a quality player, but not a captain IMO.

I hope our board also take note of the message from this game, that you also need to invest in quality players now in addition to building for the future. Colin, open the check book please and let Millen sign a LB, CB and ACM. Relegation could cost us a lot more. We will need these players next year anyway. Bring them in now and give us a chance of decent season.

Arsenal fan on 606 is making a good point. The inherited defence of Adams, keown, seaman etc meant he could not go wrong. Since they left they have won nothing. Good teams win with good defences. And he has never bought a good defender etc............... I can't argue with that really.

The usual starting back 4 from the 'invincible' team was Lauren, Campbell, Toure and Cole, so this view doesn't quite stack up. He certainly needs to look at this area of the team now though, as they have been weak defensively for the last 3-4 seasons. I'm sure Wenger has made many mistakes, as do all managers, but let's not underestimate what he has achieved for Arsenal. You could also say that he has given a lot to the English game. Fantastic football, technically gifted players that have been a joy to watch and helped bring youngsters through that will be a huge part of our national team's future (Wilshere in particular, but also Lansbury, Gibbs, Frimpong and even bought players like Walcott who he has improved).

Ha. I did think of the mini discussion in the Nicky threead, as the 6th, 7th and 8th went in yesterday. Merson and (your favourite) Gary Neville both said though that they would be stupid to lose Wenger. I agree with this. If he brings in 2 or 3 players before the window shuts and gets some of his more important injured players back again, I would still fully expect them to finish in the top 6 and with the right signings even 4th. Someone posted a piece on here a few days ago claiming that the board won't let Wenger spend money. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but will be interesting to see how much money he does spend. I don't think spending a bit more on higher quality players would be totally at odds with his philosophy of bringing in youngsters. Perhaps if he had gone for Mata when he had the chance instead of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain it would have improved the squad. They were linked with Jovetic as well, who is a quality player now and would be a great investment. I would suggest that defenders are a priority at the moment though and a combatative CM, one of which should be a natural leader. Van Persie is without doubt a quality player, but not a captain IMO.

I hope our board also take note of the message from this game, that you also need to invest in quality players now in addition to building for the future. Colin, open the check book please and let Millen sign a LB, CB and ACM. Relegation could cost us a lot more. We will need these players next year anyway. Bring them in now and give us a chance of decent season.

The usual starting back 4 from the 'invincible' team was Lauren, Campbell, Toure and Cole, so this view doesn't quite stack up. He certainly needs to look at this area of the team now though, as they have been weak defensively for the last 3-4 seasons. I'm sure Wenger has made many mistakes, as do all managers, but let's not underestimate what he has achieved for Arsenal. You could also say that he has given a lot to the English game. Fantastic football, technically gifted players that have been a joy to watch and helped bring youngsters through that will be a huge part of our national team's future (Wilshere in particular, but also Lansbury, Gibbs, Frimpong and even bought players like Walcott who he has improved).

I think the 606 caller a a point of sorts, many of those great Arsenal defenders were coming to the end of their careers when Wenger started, but the whole ethos of Arsenal then was defence, Some of the players were still around to drum in to the newer players like Cole Lauren Toure and Campbell their well versed defensive lines. All of this experience has now gone, many of the newer Arsenal defenders did not have the benefit of this being passed on to them from Lauren Cole and Campbell.

The biggest problem IMO is they do not have a defensive leader who can organise, just a little organisation at the back and they will be okay. He just has to go out and buy that leader from somewhere. In fact he is missing leaders all over the pitch, his great sid had leaders everywhere.

Archived