IGNORED

Current Club Situation...

spudski

Without going over old ground, most fans realise the situation we are in ( however much the mixed messages are coming out of the Club are ), and the chosen route the board, SL and the management team have decided to take.

However, as we have all noticed, the fans seem very split and many are unhappy with the current situation. Many are saying they are going to talk with their feet, and from recent attendances it seems that way.

If the trend continues and attendances continue to fall, and there is a general feeling of unrest, how do you think the board will react, if at all? How low does it have to get before it actually becomes damaging to the Club?

Also...Hypothetically speaking, if we were bottom of the league at Christmas playing poor football ( which i don't think we will be ) what do you think the board would do to change the situation? Would they risk going down under our current Management team and players, or try to change things?

Just interested in how people see things panning out from what we have already experienced.

Without going over old ground, most fans realise the situation we are in ( however much the mixed messages are coming out of the Club are ), and the chosen route the board, SL and the management team have decided to take.

However, as we have all noticed, the fans seem very split and many are unhappy with the current situation. Many are saying they are going to talk with their feet, and from recent attendances it seems that way.

If the trend continues and attendances continue to fall, and there is a general feeling of unrest, how do you think the board will react, if at all? How low does it have to get before it actually becomes damaging to the Club?

Also...Hypothetically speaking, if we were bottom of the league at Christmas playing poor football ( which i don't think we will be ) what do you think the board would do to change the situation? Would they risk going down under our current Management team and players, or try to change things?

Just interested in how people see things panning out from what we have already experienced.

I don't think most fans do appreciate the situation but thats the way it is.

Everything changes with positive results. A run of wins, regardless how the're achieved puts a completely different gloss on things. All fans like to see their club as far up the table as possible. City played some turgid stuff during the play-off season but that was all forgotten my many because of the league table. A run of good results after this international break and the crowds will go up again.

Like you I don't believe City will be in danger this season but that won't be enough to satisfy all the fans. Too many expect City to be up there and playing attractive football along the way and it will be those fair-weather fans who will stop coming if/when that doesn't happen.

During the dark days of the early 80's City had a hard core of around 7k. Its probably a tad more these days but nowhere near the 14k City get most weeks. If as you hypothetically say City's crowds were seriously down at xmas the club won't do anything much.They have the revenue from ST already and that's vital

Everything changes with positive results. A run of wins, regardless how the're achieved puts a completely different gloss on things. All fans like to see their club as far up the table as possible. City played some turgid stuff during the play-off season but that was all forgotten my many because of the league table. A run of good results after this international break and the crowds will go up again.

Like you I don't believe City will be in danger this season but that won't be enough to satisfy all the fans. Too many expect City to be up there and playing attractive football along the way and it will be those fair-weather fans who will stop coming if/when that doesn't happen.

During the dark days of the early 80's City had a hard core of around 7k. Its probably a tad more these days but nowhere near the 14k City get most weeks. If as you hypothetically say City's crowds were seriously down at xmas the club won't do anything much.They have the revenue from ST already and that's vital

Fair points...all though from my experience in talking to fans, it is not so much the results but the Entertainment value and standard of football on show that seems the issue with most.

You say most fans don't realise the current situation. Do you think the PR at the Club could be better?

ICity played some turgid stuff during the play-off season but that was all forgotten my many because of the league table. A run of good results after this international break and the crowds will go up again

I think turgid isn't the right word - but you are right - if city are winning - that is entertaining for us bristol city fans itself - plus that side had a never say die spirit.

Too many expect City to be up there and playing attractive football along the way

That is abosolute bollox - Expectation for this season was at the lowest it has been for quite some time. There was optimism, but never any expectation at all.

There are reasons for the level of disappointment. Firstly, we are seeing the same mistakes, by the same players time and time again. Mistakes being individual or collectively. When this happens and plus the fact there are little progress being made, it becomes tiresome and boring.

Then there are some people who wont mind losing if we play the right way - but to be honest, were not even doing that!

The period under Millen I would describe average in terms of results and turgid in terms of the football being produced and even a "purist" like yourself should be able to see that.

I'm not so sure. You're quite right that the income stream from the season tickets is vital, which is why shortly after Xmas they start to coerce us to spend again with the early bird offers designed to allow them to start making budgetary projections for the next season. I think they know that the offers would have to be pretty bloody good if we're bottom and performing badly to get a similar response to this years uptake.

Many renewed this year on the money available/lets see what Millen can do with his own squad scenario we were sold. Can't use that line again. Can't afford to see a huge dent in ST sells. I think doing nothing much is unlikely to be an option.

The period under Millen I would describe average in terms of results and turgid in terms of the football being produced and even a "purist" like yourself should be able to see that.

Of course I can see it!

Its not good quality football by a long way but I can at least understand why. The reason's have been aired and discussed in other threads many times so no need to repeat then again.

You know what those reason's are but you still continue to critise Millen in almost every post you make.

Of course I can see it!

Its not good quality football by a long way but I can at least understand why. The reason's have been aired and discussed in other threads many times so no need to repeat then again.

You know what those reason's are but you still continue to critise Millen in almost every post you make.

Those reasons turned into excuses a long time ago.

As you did Johnson don't try and take the moral highground ffs.

I don't get what you actually mean by 'moral high ground''.

My views on our previous manager were simply that - my views. Exactly the same principle applies with our current manager. Not a slope in sight......

My views on our previous manager were simply that - my views. Exactly the same principle applies with our current manager. Not a slope in sight......

Johnson gained the trust of 99% of city fans within about a year, but improving the team (quite rapidly)

After a year, what has millen done to gain your trust?

! just wondering.

Johnson gained the trust of 99% of city fans within about a year, but improving the team (quite rapidly)

! just wondering.

In an extremely weaker league than we are in now.

GJ & KM are 2 completely different characters, GJ used the 'rod of iron' method while KM prefers the 'softly, softly' educated style of approach.

GJ's method will work short term but players will only take so much crap, KM's style will take longer to work but is better suited for long term stability.

BCAGFC

In an extremely weaker league than we are in now.

GJ & KM are 2 completely different characters, GJ used the 'rod of iron' method while KM prefers the 'softly, softly' educated style of approach.

GJ's method will work short term but players will only take so much crap, KM's style will take longer to work but is better suited for long term stability......especially when he can get rid of the highest earners at the club (LJ/NH/KC).

BCAGFC

Personnally I dont see that ever working. Players need to respect a manager - they wont if they know he is soft.

Dear oh dear.........facepalm.gif

You certainly like going around in circles.

All this has been covered many times in other threads.

Personnally I dont see that ever working. Players need to respect a manager - they wont if they know he is soft.

I think KM has better man management skills than GJ, you need to know when/how & who to 'throw a grenade at'.

We seem to have a bunch of players that cannot motivate themselves when they cross the white line, no amount of raging from the technical area will solve that.

We need to get players in with desire, just look at Craig Dawson for England last night, desire to win headers in both boxes......just what we need.

When was the last time we saw a towering header from one of our players in either box?, you have to have that desire within yourself top want to win a ball, no matter of coaching will instill that in you.

BCAGFC

Fair points...all though from my experience in talking to fans, it is not so much the results but the Entertainment value and standard of football on show that seems the issue with most.

I have to agree its the entertainment, for me one of the best matches i have seen at the gate, we actually lost, it was a 2-1 defeat at home to brentford in the playoffs, cant remeber the year but we lost to the same score at thiers.

By far one of the most entertaining and rememerable games i watched

Cheers

Pretty obvious I should think, you seem pretty indignant that Riaz citicises Millen with every post he makes (your words not mine) when you done exactly the same to Johnson, pot and kettle springs to mind.

Pretty obvious I should think, you seem pretty indignant that Riaz citicises Millen with every post he makes (your words not mine) when you done exactly the same to Johnson, pot and kettle springs to mind.

This gets tiresome.........facepalm.gif

The complaint I have with Riaz's persistent critism of Millen is that its based on very little of substance. My critism of Johnson stemmed from plenty of evidence over a long period.

Millen is soft in the interwius. But I dont know if he is soft in the dressingrom.

Yeah who knows? Only the players etc will know what he's like in the dressing room. Could be quite a horrible bastard in the dressing room.... But I doubt it!

If the poor football persists over the next couple of months, with the attendant dip in results/attendance, this should, in theory, lead to fan unrest, not just on message boards, and KM's position should, in theory, be untenable.

However the AG crowd are a pretty tolerant lot and barring some hefty thumpings, similar to Boro & Sheff Wed last year, which could lead to mass unrest, I have a horrible feeling the board may decide to keep Keith in place and he'll stagger on to the end of the season.

Live in hope that home performances will improve but there just doesn't seem any evidence of that.

Like players respected GJ enough to end up in a fight with him?

The rod of iron approach will only take you so far. You have to have proved something as a top player or managed at the very top for that to work, sooner or later you will fall short, sooner or later you are going to have to signe higher profile players to take you to the next stage. GJ proved he could not handle higher profile players, hence many were shown the door. That is why GJ probably hit the pinnacle of his Club management with us in the Play off final. To me he is one level below where he should be as as good manger.

He did what he had to do to get us to the championship, he didn't have a 2nd game plan. Good job getting us up, but not really good enough to take us further. Too set in his ways and stubborn. I'll always be grateful to the fella for getting us up though

Yeah who knows? Only the players etc will know what he's like in the dressing room. Could be quite a horrible bastard in the dressing room.... But I doubt it!

I remember after the Charlton game in Spain(?) some posters who travelled over reported that Millen gave players a sharp dressing down especially for what was only a preseason game.

Millen is soft in the interwius. But I dont know if he is soft in the dressingrom.

Millen certainly is not a shrinking violet if you see him on the training ground. His public persona is certainly different to his behind closed doors persona. Never you mind, the guy can hand out a right royal b0ll0cking

Source me, seeing them after getting invited up once by a mate. had to pick him up from the training ground. The language, was blue, the voice was loud and the players were certainly quiet listening to the the man.

EDIT

I think what maybe more difficult is that he was their coach before hand. And coaches generally give a arm around the shoulder to the players after a manager has given them a dressing down. So maybe it could be hard to the players to see a different Millen as well. It has got to be slightly difficult for all involved.

Archived