IGNORED

Rooney Wouldn't Score In Our Team

Southport Red

Don't know why, but I was thinking earlier today about a comment someone made on here last season about the poor service we give our strikers and someone said 'Rooney wouldn't score in our team'.

It got me thinking, which world-class player, from any era, would you sign tomorrow if you could wave a magic wand and sign that player at their absolute peak?

For me, I think I would say George Best.

Anyone else?

Steven Gerrard.

One player that Milen couldn't play our of position because he'd probably still be the best full back, winger , centre back or striker we had in any event!

Being realistic and choosing someone who would actually play in the Championship or the old second division as it was then I would say Don Rogers ex Swindon Town...

Any old uns like me who can remember him galloping down the left wing for Swindon ?

Christ he was a great Player.:yes: and 147 goals in 400 appearances for Swindon

Would have to put Gordon Banks in there. I know we wouldn't score many, but we wouldn't conceed that many either!

As for outfielder... tough one because you would have to look at how well they would adapt into the modern game. Best would be too slow and Cryuff would now be too predictable. Therefore I'd probably take Pele as he still is the best all round footballer there has ever been or I would take Maradonna as he had the skill of Best, but bags of pace to go with it.

Then again, we could have Roger Milla if he was in his dancing peak!!

I like a lot of these great player Mentions....

But for me only one player was good enough to drag a whole side up and win Championships on his Own.

Maradona, what he did at Napoli was exceptional.

Saying that I still think the best alround footballer, and I say that about someone who could play full back, centre back, centre midfield, wing and attack... It has to be Ruud Gullit

Saying that, I would still Choose Maradona for City.

Went on the old Trafford tour today! Bobby Charlton reckons Duncan Edwards is the best player he's ever seen, and he's played with and against a few half decent players! ;) the Munich tribute is quite touching, almost brought a tear to my eye!

Pele once said Bobby Charlton was the greatest. If we need a creative midfielder, look no further. Fantastic work rate, always available, and with the sweetest shot in the history of the game.

Went on the old Trafford tour today! Bobby Charlton reckons Duncan Edwards is the best player he's ever seen, and he's played with and against a few half decent players! ;) the Munich tribute is quite touching, almost brought a tear to my eye!

John Atyeo played with Duncan Edwards against Brazil.

Pele once said Bobby Charlton was the greatest. If we need a creative midfielder, look no further. Fantastic work rate, always available, and with the sweetest shot in the history of the game.

Pele once said Nicky Butt was the best player to date of the 2002 World Cup, and that El Hadji Diouf was one of the best 125 players of all time (a list that Duncan Edwards was omitted from). I'd take what he says with a large pinch of salt.

Archived