IGNORED

Rooney Wouldn't Score In Our Team

Southport Red

Pele once said Nicky Butt was the best player to date of the 2002 World Cup, and that El Hadji Diouf was one of the best 125 players of all time (a list that Duncan Edwards was omitted from). I'd take what he says with a large pinch of salt.

Pele was asked who he thought the best ever player was in the entire history of the game. He smiled and pointed to his chest.

He was right about that.

He was truly awesome. Strong build, quick feet, pacy, great leap, visionary, terrific goalscorer of all types and way ahead of his time.

Pele was asked who he thought the best ever player was in the entire history of the game. He smiled and pointed to his chest.

He was right about that.

He was truly awesome. Strong build, quick feet, pacy, great leap, visionary, terrific goalscorer of all types and way ahead of his time.

He certainly was a fair player, but personally I would still put Maradona ahead of him.

I like a lot of these great player Mentions....

But for me only one player was good enough to drag a whole side up and win Championships on his Own.

Maradona, what he did at Napoli was exceptional.

Saying that I still think the best alround footballer, and I say that about someone who could play full back, centre back, centre midfield, wing and attack... It has to be Ruud Gullit

Saying that, I would still Choose Maradona for City.

Same for me. We would get promoted in 1 season with Maradona in his prime playing in the team. Would also agree with the poster who suggested Zidane.

Same for me. We would get promoted in 1 season with Maradona in his prime playing in the team. Would also agree with the poster who suggested Zidane.

agreed 100%, maradona is the most talented human being who has ever touched a football, if you get the chance to read his book, el diego, do it, it is great entertainment. Zidane is sensational as well, as is the real ronaldo. I am sure i heard a quote from zidane, or someone, who was watching maradona training, he was stood on the centre spot with a ball, kicking it high in the air, and as it came down, kicking it straight back up in the air, on the volley, he did it 5 or 6 times, not moving off the centre spot. it was the most amazing thing he had ever seen!

I havent seen much of pele, but he is generally regarded as the top 2 with maradona. I think the general view is that he was more politically correct, and a better pro, and an out and out goal scorer, but diego was the peoples player, and was more of a genius. That said, if you had pele and ronaldo through the middle with Zidane and Maradona playing as attacking midfielders, that would probably take some stopping, could SL's budget get all of them in?

To make a mark on the world game you have to be instrumental in winning world cups, and all of these guys were. Best may have been brilliant, but I dont think he can compare to these guys.

agreed 100%, maradona is the most talented human being who has ever touched a football, if you get the chance to read his book, el diego, do it, it is great entertainment. Zidane is sensational as well, as is the real ronaldo. I am sure i heard a quote from zidane, or someone, who was watching maradona training, he was stood on the centre spot with a ball, kicking it high in the air, and as it came down, kicking it straight back up in the air, on the volley, he did it 5 or 6 times, not moving off the centre spot. it was the most amazing thing he had ever seen!

I havent seen much of pele, but he is generally regarded as the top 2 with maradona. I think the general view is that he was more politically correct, and a better pro, and an out and out goal scorer, but diego was the peoples player, and was more of a genius. That said, if you had pele and ronaldo through the middle with Zidane and Maradona playing as attacking midfielders, that would probably take some stopping, could SL's budget get all of them in?

To make a mark on the world game you have to be instrumental in winning world cups, and all of these guys were. Best may have been brilliant, but I dont think he can compare to these guys.

I understand your logic on this, but I think it is flawed: by requiring the player to have won the world cup, not only do you exclude Cruyff (runner up in 1974) but you also exclude Best, Di Stefano and Weah (none of whom ever played in a finals). I would be skeptical of any "greatest ever player" shortlist that did not include at least one of those 4.

I'm not sure who said that, but was an English player and it was was a golf ball apparently, but I might be mixing up anecdotes!

I understand your logic on this, but I think it is flawed: by requiring the player to have won the world cup, not only do you exclude Cruyff (runner up in 1974) but you also exclude Best, Di Stefano and Weah (none of whom ever played in a finals). I would be skeptical of any "greatest ever player" shortlist that did not include at least one of those 4.

True. I don't buy this theory of having to play in (or win) World Cups to prove you're a great player. Best, Giggs and many others were awesome. Messi hasn't won a World Cup and may never do so. He will (and has) won many domestic and European titles though. I'm not suggesting he is the best player ever, but is not far off and could be in the next few years.

Don't know why, but I was thinking earlier today about a comment someone made on here last season about the poor service we give our strikers and someone said 'Rooney wouldn't score in our team'.

It got me thinking, which world-class player, from any era, would you sign tomorrow if you could wave a magic wand and sign that player at their absolute peak?

For me, I think I would say George Best.

Anyone else?

Gianfranco Zola please.

I'm not sure who said that, but was an English player and it was was a golf ball apparently, but I might be mixing up anecdotes!

True. I don't buy this theory of having to play in (or win) World Cups to prove you're a great player. Best, Giggs and many others were awesome. Messi hasn't won a World Cup and may never do so. He will (and has) won many domestic and European titles though. I'm not suggesting he is the best player ever, but is not far off and could be in the next few years.

You are spot on , otherwise Nobby Stiles could claim to be better than Messi , Cruyff etc.....

Archived