IGNORED

Got To Play Two Up Front At Home.

Robbored

Very disapointing result but one positive is that City defended pretty well apart from the sloppy goal that won the game. McGivern looked solid enough as did Wilson and Nyatana. Spence didn't have his best game and with Albert also below par the right side looked a little vunerable.

Elliot and Skuse both battled and disrupted Brighton well and JCR looked a real handfull but with Maynard isolated had few options around the box. Surely Millen can see that one up front at home doesn't provide enough chances and with the defence now looking stronger doesn't need 5 across midfield to provide protectionat home.

Kilkenny didn't help much with his tendency to linger too long on the ball thereby slowing play down and maybe he'd be more effective further up the pitch where he'd have to move the ball more quickly.

Much as I support Millen and what he's trying to do, he got it wrong today not only with the substitutions but the formation as well.

4-5-1 with 3 defensive midfielders and two right wingers making up our midfield. To add to that, our best player is replaced by a target man....to play left wing. It took Millen until we conceded with 10 minutes left to realise it was the wrong formation, no passion, no belief, no anything!!

Millen seems to be falling into the Gary Johnson trick of setting up to avoid defeat not to win. Unless he changes that he's going to have real problems

Today

Formation - Bad. Good away, Wrong at Home

Subs - Wrong, should have moved to 4-4-2 sooner

Team - can't really fault anyone

McGivern impressed as game went on

Skuse - best of the midfield 3, tackled everything that moved

JCR - direct and best attacking option

Maynard - isolated

Albert - off form today

Millen seems to be falling into the Gary Johnson trick of setting up to avoid defeat not to win.

The difference being that GJ was rather good at avoiding defeat - particularly at home where we were very rarely beaten.

Late equalisers from visiting sides coloured many people's view of the last year of Johnson's reign and cost us hard won points that could well have secured a second play-off season in 08-09.

But robbored and Donald, Millen's brand of football is extremely entertaining according to you both!!!!

At least with johnson i always felt we had a goal in us, mainly due to the spirit of the team......with millen.....well tell me anyone of our fans who believes we can score at any time, or who has hope we can pull it around when backs are against the wall.

Take the rose tinted specs off

I hope we can put this into some context, I didn't think the performance was that bad and in reality we created a lot more than we did against Pompey in our last home game. I think on reflection Brighton didn't deserve to steal the win, and 0-0 would have been a fair reflection.

However, I completely agree with every one who says we simply cannot play 4-5-1 at home. It is soul destroying and aimless. I have been labelled a "rose tinter" and all the rest of it in the past but I really cannot defend Millen any more. I have no interest in calling him names and hope that the other posters will refrain from that and try keep our criticisms constructive. There are plenty of things we can talk about without the usual illiterate brigade chucking names about.

Now to start my attempt at being constructive..

I think Millen should have noticed before the first half had concluded that Brighton had very little interest in going forward. They set out defensively and did not flood forward at all, We should have changed the system and pushed up to force them to play. We sat back far too often and considering we were at home it was little wonder why plenty of fans got frustrated by it. The team actually all played well, only Nyatanga (Who I thought to be at fault for the goal), Spence and Killkenny seemed to have bad games. I thought Albert was brilliant second half and Maynard (Despite the service) held the ball up brilliantly and looked very alert. But despite the decent performances the system and shape meant the game simply petered.

I have always said that I will back the manager, whoever it may be, whilst they are at the helm. But if I was in Sexstone's positions what would I do? The crowds aren't responding to Millen, the football is defensive and the attendances are dwindling... We are in reality going nowhere. The new board had the opportunity to take this club in any direction they wanted but the message from the club is so mixed that nobody has a clue what the hell is going on! It's a shambles from top to bottom.

So if I was in Lansdown/Sexstone's shoes I would ask Keith to leave and I would make a huge effort to bring in a manager who will capture the imagination of the fans and more importantly the players. I would grab this club by the scruff of the neck and force us through this horrible stagnant period.

£5 offer and a packed away end and the attendance was 13k... That maths just doesn't work for much longer..

Today

Formation - Bad. Good away, Wrong at Home

Subs - Wrong, should have moved to 4-4-2 sooner

Team - can't really fault anyone

McGivern impressed as game went on

Skuse - best of the midfield 3, tackled everything that moved

JCR - direct and best attacking option

Maynard - isolated

Albert - off form today

This is the correct analysis. Not loads wrong!

Just couldn't get that goal, solid performance and there was some good play, the ball didn't fall right all day.

For me it's not a disaster and plenty of promise from today.

A draw would have been fair.

FR

Just couldn't get that goal, solid performance and there was some good play, the ball didn't fall right all day.

FR

oh come on, these players have had 2 weeks off, 2 weeks to try new things, new tactics, set pieces, build some team spirit away from prying eyes, come back refreshed and hungry........but all i saw was the all too predictable outcome of no creativity, no motivation, and NO LEADERSHIP at all....who is the leader of this team, why isnt marv taking this lot by the scruff of the neck on the pitch, he has been here for 5 years now, he should be driving us on......i looked around and saw a load of mutes, just going through the motions.........pathetic

FR

Considering Brighton are top of the league there wasn't much difference between the two teams today. Not many chances either end and they nicked the points with a scrappy/sloppy goal.

The difference was the tactic of isolating Maynard up front on his own. No doubt the plan was for the midfielders to support him but that didn't work very well. In fairness City didn't look like they would have scored if they played until midnight.

Millen has to change it for the next home game on 27th September..

Considering Brighton are top of the league there wasn't much difference between the two teams today. Not many chances either end and they nicked the points with a scrappy/sloppy goal.

The difference was the tactic of isolating Maynard up front on his own. No doubt the plan was for the midfielders to support him but that didn't work very well. In fairness City didn't look like they would have scored if they played until midnight.

Keith says it worked well so don't hold your breath Robbo. He can see no connection between his tactics and the absence of goals it seems.

and if he doesnt, will you still be on here posting how he has to change and learn from mistakes.....how many chances does he get.....johnson superior manager and motivator full stop!!!

Agree with a lot of posters, we weren't exactly terrible today. A draw I think would have been about right, though the 4-5-1 style even at home can have merit if utilised properly. I would have been happy with 4-5-1 today had we not slowed down when we seemed to break- quite often we seemed to pass it out wide and momentum would fade, but despite us being at home had we got a positive result on the counterattack vs the League leaders- i.e. a win or draw, that would have been quite alright. Stead on the left was a waste however, in addition to which he didn't seem to win enough in the air or hold it up enough.

yea hes doing a blinding job at northampton

For us ....i think the stats will back that up compared to millen......he was unlucky at peterboro, and made a strange decision to go to northampton, but i can only assume that was due to fact he has to work, rather than wait for the right job

It was closer than expected but still not good enough.

Playing Maynard up on his own meant he struggled and we barely had any clear cut chances.

I can't see any difference between 'what millen is trying to do' and what Johnson did. Except Johnson actually got us results.

nail firmly hit on the head with that staement

Very disapointing result but one positive is that City defended pretty well apart from the sloppy goal that won the game. McGivern looked solid enough as did Wilson and Nyatana. Spence didn't have his best game and with Albert also below par the right side looked a little vunerable.

Elliot and Skuse both battled and disrupted Brighton well and JCR looked a real handfull but with Maynard isolated had few options around the box. Surely Millen can see that one up front at home doesn't provide enough chances and with the defence now looking stronger doesn't need 5 across midfield to provide protectionat home.

Kilkenny didn't help much with his tendency to linger too long on the ball thereby slowing play down and maybe he'd be more effective further up the pitch where he'd have to move the ball more quickly.

Much as I support Millen and what he's trying to do, he got it wrong today not only with the substitutions but the formation as well.

You and Donnie and several others told us give him 10 games, although you then extended your 10 games to the whole of this season and then the whole of next season. 6 games in, 4 difficult games to go in that 10 if the results persist in this vain, what say you?.

PS:-What is he trying to do?.

I hope we can put this into some context, I didn't think the performance was that bad and in reality we created a lot more than we did against Pompey in our last home game. I think on reflection Brighton didn't deserve to steal the win, and 0-0 would have been a fair reflection.

However, I completely agree with every one who says we simply cannot play 4-5-1 at home. It is soul destroying and aimless. I have been labelled a "rose tinter" and all the rest of it in the past but I really cannot defend Millen any more. I have no interest in calling him names and hope that the other posters will refrain from that and try keep our criticisms constructive. There are plenty of things we can talk about without the usual illiterate brigade chucking names about.

I think Millen should have noticed before the first half had concluded that Brighton had very little interest in going forward. They set out defensively and did not flood forward at all, We should have changed the system and pushed up to force them to play. We sat back far too often and considering we were at home it was little wonder why plenty of fans got frustrated by it. The team actually all played well, only Nyatanga (Who I thought to be at fault for the goal), Spence and Killkenny seemed to have bad games. I thought Albert was brilliant second half and Maynard (Despite the service) held the ball up brilliantly and looked very alert. But despite the decent performances the system and shape meant the game simply petered.

I have always said that I will back the manager, whoever it may be, whilst they are at the helm. But if I was in Sexstone's positions what would I do? The crowds aren't responding to Millen, the football is defensive and the attendances are dwindling... We are in reality going nowhere. The new board had the opportunity to take this club in any direction they wanted but the message from the club is so mixed that nobody has a clue what the hell is going on! It's a shambles from top to bottom.

So if I was in Lansdown/Sexstone's shoes I would ask Keith to leave and I would make a huge effort to bring in a manager who will capture the imagination of the fans and more importantly the players. I would grab this club by the scruff of the neck and force us through this horrible stagnant period.

£5 offer and a packed away end and the attendance was 13k... That maths just doesn't work for much longer..

I have been flicking through some abusive and stupid posts that i dont agree with and theni read yours...fair play JT above well put.......

Our defence has been awful for a long time and we have worked hard to shore it up , it HAS to start with this and it was much better today against a team full of confidence and top of the league. I thought we were ok going forward but obviously Maynard struggled on his own but i feel that Elliot could have got forward better to support. Brighton are dangerous on the flanks and they had 2 wingers glued to the line so it was important to stop their full backs coming forward which is why Stead played wide WHEN WE NEVER HAD THE BALL.

We didn't do a lot wrong today and the first goal was always going to win it.

Pitman looked sharp when he came on but Spence and Elliot were awful today. For the next home game we need to swap Elliot for Stead or Pitman and we will be fine.

If we persist with playing Maynard up front on his own his contract will remain unsigned. NM's game isn't suited to that style and in both the last 2 home games he hasn't looked likely to score and that will affect his confidence in himself and his manager. Before the season started the majority of us believed we had as strong an attack as anyone in this league, 3 quality strikers battling for 2 places and 2 others in Clarkson and Taylor as decent backup in case of injuries. By playing 4-5-1 at home we are A) not utilising our resources and B) telling every team that turns up to Ashton Gate our midfield/defence is poor. Keith needs to take a good look at the squad and himself and identify who deserves their place and who should look else where. We've not got a bad squad but they're under achieving and if Keith can't turn them around and get them performing to a standard which allows him to play 2 strikers he needs hold his hands up and say the jobs too big for him.

A very fair post I said on an earlier post it appeared that Brighton had come looking for a point and met a side looking for a point and another mistake settled the game and we made that mistake, it's all too predictable.

I don't class it as 4-5-1, it can be 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 with the players who strarted today but you need class players who can interchange for this, get back to basics, Millen feels you need to flood midfield to win at this level and when we play too offensive we leave our-self open need i say more. 4-1-3-2 i would go, two wide players tuck in when defending hug the touchline whilst attacking.

James

Spencer Wilson Fontaine McGivern

Cisse

JCR Elliott Albert

Maynard Stead

Can we play 4-4-2 to a decent standard though? I do have my doubts personally though the current situation is far from ideal- certainly an Elliott-Skuse axis in a traditional 4-4-2 wouldn't fill me with hope, regardless of home, away or neutral.

Millen is essentially building from scratch and trying to keep City in the Championship while he does it. The real development will take place next summer when loads of fringe players will be out the door and he'll have a decent budget.

In the meantime he has to find a successful formation away from AG (4-5-1) and a formation that works at AG. So far he's played 442 against Ipswich and conceded 3 goals and in the two games since 4-5-1 and has not yet scored a home goal. So what's next?

3-5-2 has been suggested but that would mean bringing Albert inside as he's no wing back. Personally I'd like to see that against Hull on the 24th Sept but listening to Millen after todays match he appears to be under the impression that one up front at home is effective, but no goals at home all season should be a bit of a clue that maybe its not working.

No problem with 4-5-1 at Leeds but things have to change come the Reading game.

Millen is essentially building from scratch and trying to keep City in the Championship while he does it. The real development will take place next summer when loads of fringe players will be out the door and he'll have a decent budget.

In the meantime he has to find a successful formation away from AG (4-5-1) and a formation that works at AG. So far he's played 442 against Ipswich and conceded 3 goals and in the two games since 4-5-1 and has not yet scored a home goal. So what's next?

3-5-2 has been suggested but that would mean bringing Albert inside as he's no wing back. Personally I'd like to see that against Reading on the 27th Sept but listening to Millen after todays match he appears to be under the impression that one up front at home is effective, but no goals at home all season should be a bit of a clue that maybe its not working.

The real development will start next year and the Hull game at home before Reading does not matter, no wonder Johnson showed you up for what you are, nothing personal but WTF.

3-5-2 has been suggested but that would mean bringing Albert inside as he's no wing back. Personally I'd like to see that against Reading on the 27th Sept but listening to Millen after todays match he appears to be under the impression that one up front at home is effective, but no goals at home all season should be a bit of a clue that maybe its not working.

The strange thing is Millen signings are now mainly proving to be poor to average in fact so much so many either don't get a game or even on the bench and he has to rely on the GJ signings many of whom you have castigated, I for one would not trust him with a decent budget he has already wasted the wrong end of 2 mill and is proving himself clueless tactically, he is out of his depth.

Can't expect passion from the players when the manager shows the passion of a crash test dummy, watched him clapping today when Brighton stole the ball!!

He should be forced to watch a vid of the Swindon manager in action - the first 15 minutes of that HOME DEFEAT, for us, was filmed by the BCFC official photographer, he filmed nothing else! I sat 15 feet away.

He showed so much passion I was suprised he did not put boots on and join in.

We believe in our team, its full of talent at the moment (except no attacking midfielder) - so how can the players be motivated when their manager shows more interest in a special offer at Tesco than what is taking place in front of him? My 8 yo grandson could do better!

If I could no longer do my job I would move on and go fishing - spare place in my boat Kieth - bring your own Mae West!

Been on the lash?

WTF.

Could not be bothered to type anymore to your crap, sorry, can you explain why Hull which is our next home game is not a must win at home?

Millen hands are tied in away but he has spent alot more than many aside in our league stop licking his ass majority knows he is useless as a manager, good coach.

Archived