IGNORED

Derek Mcinnes

glastonred

I think they call him Del up norf... so its Del's Cider Army or, dare i say it, Del Boy's Cider Army.

A very astute appointment if this happens in my opinion.

Isn't Deek the more usual Scottish abbreviation for Derek?

No matter, I agree with all those who say he could do a good job here.

As a Saints fan, I would love Del to stay with us. However, should he come to you I can assure you he will be a good appointment. One achievement that hasn't had a mention is that he took us to within a penalty shootout (in the semi v Rangers while we were still in the 1st Div) of reaching our first ever Scottish Cup Final. While I wouldn't like to lose him, I would understand the pull of moving to a club of your potential has on him. I don't think Geoff Brown would be too difficult to deal with as far as compensation goes - he isn't the type to stand in someone's way. I have absolute faith in Geoff to get us a decent replacement anyway. All the best for the rest of the season - whether or not you get Del i hope you steer clear of relegation.

As a Saints fan, I would love Del to stay with us. However, should he come to you I can assure you he will be a good appointment. One achievement that hasn't had a mention is that he took us to within a penalty shootout (in the semi v Rangers while we were still in the 1st Div) of reaching our first ever Scottish Cup Final. While I wouldn't like to lose him, I would understand the pull of moving to a club of your potential has on him. I don't think Geoff Brown would be too difficult to deal with as far as compensation goes - he isn't the type to stand in someone's way. I have absolute faith in Geoff to get us a decent replacement anyway. All the best for the rest of the season - whether or not you get Del i hope you steer clear of relegation.

Thanks!

What type of football does he deploy?

He can adapt accordingly, won at Celtic this season with one up front, won at Kilmarnock last week with 2 up front.

As a young manager, he has got us up to the SPL as 1st champions, 3 cup semi finals, and improved each year in the SPL.

He has attracted and gained the respect of established players such as Jody Morris, Michael Duberry and signed some gems in Murray Davidson (who will make Saints alot of money when he moves on) and Fran Sandaza (who will also move on for money i suspect.

He has many admirers in the game and without a doubt will go far.

Any manager with previous success should be judged at least after a year.

Its difficult with rookies like millen though - It was difficult to see where it was going, other than downwards - there was no evidence that he could bring us success or improvement.

But was Millen really a rookie?

After all he was here for 12 years and obviously had quite an input. GJ praised him a great deal during his success.

It seems that in reality he was always trying to find a solution for what was, in part, some of the problems he was partly responsible for.

It is a shame that it has not worked out, and no one can question his desire and affection for BCFC, but we really do need a breath of fresh air right through the club and McInnes may be just the guy to turn things round.

But was Millen really a rookie?

After all he was here for 12 years and obviously had quite an input. GJ praised him a great deal during his success.

It seems that in reality he was always trying to find a solution for what was, in part, some of the problems he was partly responsible for.

It is a shame that it has not worked out, and no one can question his desire and affection for BCFC, but we really do need a breath of fresh air right through the club and McInnes may be just the guy to turn things round.

In terms of management he was. With Johnson & Wilson they both had success and built teams at Yeovil and Barnsley respectively.

In the case of Millen, he had'nt managed at all.

When things get tough for rookies like millen - people get nervous, because know one knows if they really know what there doing.

In millen's case, I dont think he did - and I didnt see any real progress on the pitch.

Thanks!

What type of football does he deploy?

He likes to play an attacking, passing game. 2 seasons ago we scored more SPL goals than anyone outwith the Old Firm, last season we scored fewer than anyone else in the league!! (although this was down to a very poor strike force rather than the style of play). This season he has us playing good attacking football and we have been very solid at the back (didn't lose any goals in our first 4 away games), while also soring goals and winning games. I think the main thing for your club though,given your current position, is that he usually plays winning football :D

The more I hear about this del boy chap the more he seems like he would-be a great appointment.................given his own pre season and a bit of coin to bring in his own layers.

I wonder if we are patient enough to give him until January for "his pre season", some funds in January to bring a couple of new men and then January onwards to kick on and move us up the table, making 2012/13 with the 8 or so out of players and a whole pre season his season to make his Mark?

He likes to play an attacking, passing game. 2 seasons ago we scored more SPL goals than anyone outwith the Old Firm, last season we scored fewer than anyone else in the league!! (although this was down to a very poor strike force rather than the style of play). This season he has us playing good attacking football and we have been very solid at the back (didn't lose any goals in our first 4 away games), while also soring goals and winning games. I think the main thing for your club though,given your current position, is that he usually plays winning football :D

Well thats me convinced.

Too good an oppportunity to pass by.

Lets hope forest dont want him

Mc ? = Success

So consider McAllister or Mc Murray, both on the payroll, then of course Mc Hartley. If Mcinnes comes in we have 2 ready made interpreters.

Seriously though, he is young enough to be hungry and has performed well enough as a player and manager to get a shot at El Dorado.

I think we do need a change, but even more we need a clean out of the old boys network. Where possible, as soon as possible then the rest who need off loading at the end of the season.

Mcinnes will need all the help he can get if signed. That does not mean to take the advice of Murray and McAllister because of their accent. Players will be pushing their boat in front of him, mentioning the sacked Millen had a set against them, all the usual garbage. He is still young and to a degree, inexperienced in the ways of men, boardrooms and old boys networks in BCFC.

He is shaping up as one of 3 major contenders, I hope he brings some of his own selected staff to help with the first 6 months of battle within the club. That starts at the top, IMO.

I suspect he would try to bring his assistant Tony Docherty. That would suit City salary-wise as Wiggles will clearly be off.

Whether we need all the backroom boys we've got is another question. It could be next summer before we get to trim the squad properly and the backroom staff for that matter.

I'm warming to Del boy, despite not ever seeing his team play. Hopefully the board will invest in some super J DVDs. Let's play devils advocate for a minute. Ok, he's good at getting the best out of lesser players ( some may say ideal for here) but when he's moved us to mid table and SL loosens the purse strings what's he gonna be like A. Attracting bigger names & B. Dealing with bigger egos?

I would urge all of DM's fans to vote on the pinned poll at the top of the forum. I get the impression that a lot of forum users are coming round to him but the voting at the moment is still heavily in favour of the early favourites (Jones, etc.).

You can delete vote and vote again - I just did :)

I Must admit i was definitely up for Jones but as others have mentioned the more i hear the more i am liking the idea of Derek.

Please though if we do Employ him as the new man then can we find an assistant called Rodney! Would just add to the entertainment value having Del Boy and Rodney at the helm. :clapping:

il get my coat! :tumbleweed:

Another Saints fan here and another who rates Derek McInnes highly, although he's far from the finished article as a manager/coach. That works both ways though, whilst he'll maybe make mistakes still, there is potential for him to improve as a boss, something I'm not sure you could say about a number of other candidates mentioned. If you look at some of them and see a man who guarantees you promotion, then clearly make that choice but if you don't think they can achieve that, why bother with them if you are really an ambitious club? Would you rather someone you KNOW will be average or someone who MIGHT be great? Burnley FC took that gamble a few years ago and were in the Premier League within a couple of seasons. If Bristol City are happy being a Championship club forever and a day, appoint Dave Jones or Billy Davies. If you are prepared to be brave and strive for the Premier League, go for Derek McInnes (or another young, ambitious manager).

St Johnstone won't make things hard for Bristol City if they do things the right way and that means phoning our chairman and asking permission to speak to McInnes before talking to him. The compensation won't be huge by your standards.

Another Saints fan here and another who rates Derek McInnes highly, although he's far from the finished article as a manager/coach. That works both ways though, whilst he'll maybe make mistakes still, there is potential for him to improve as a boss, something I'm not sure you could say about a number of other candidates mentioned. If you look at some of them and see a man who guarantees you promotion, then clearly make that choice but if you don't think they can achieve that, why bother with them if you are really an ambitious club? Would you rather someone you KNOW will be average or someone who MIGHT be great? Burnley FC took that gamble a few years ago and were in the Premier League within a couple of seasons. If Bristol City are happy being a Championship club forever and a day, appoint Dave Jones or Billy Davies. If you are prepared to be brave and strive for the Premier League, go for Derek McInnes (or another young, ambitious manager).

St Johnstone won't make things hard for Bristol City if they do things the right way and that means phoning our chairman and asking permission to speak to McInnes before talking to him. The compensation won't be huge by your standards.

You make a good point about proven average managers or potentially great managers.

I'd like us to get the next gus poyet / owen coyle / roberto martinez - difficult part is finding them?

He sounds like an unproven Martin O'Neil? would that be fair?

I'm warming to Del boy, despite not ever seeing his team play. Hopefully the board will invest in some super J DVDs. Let's play devils advocate for a minute. Ok, he's good at getting the best out of lesser players ( some may say ideal for here) but when he's moved us to mid table and SL loosens the purse strings what's he gonna be like A. Attracting bigger names & B. Dealing with bigger egos?

Not sure there are many bigger ego's around mate. Most of our players seem to think they are the mutts nuts. I cant wait until the summer to clear half of this lot out.

BTW , I quite like the look of DM as well

You make a good point about proven average managers or potentially great managers.

I'd like us to get the next gus poyet / owen coyle / roberto martinez - difficult part is finding them?

He sounds like an unproven Martin O'Neil? would that be fair?

Nope, nothing like O'Neill - doesn't jump about like a demented Zebedee for a kick-off :laughcont: Seriously though I have always felt O'Neill is somewhat over-rated. He had, by Scottish standards, a massive transfer/wages budget while at Celtic. He got out when it became abvious that these budgets were going to be slashed. His big achievemnet at Celtic was reaching the UEFA up Final in 2003 - what is overlooked is that to be in the competition they had been knocked out of the Champions League. Strachan came in having to work with vastly reduced budgets and twice reached the last 16 of the Champions League, yet the Celtic fans never took to him. Personally don't think O'Neill did that great at Villa considering the resources available to him there. For our sake though, I hope you go for O'Neill or Jones :laughcont:

Nope, nothing like O'Neill - doesn't jump about like a demented Zebedee for a kick-off :laughcont: Seriously though I have always felt O'Neill is somewhat over-rated. He had, by Scottish standards, a massive transfer/wages budget while at Celtic. He got out when it became abvious that these budgets were going to be slashed. His big achievemnet at Celtic was reaching the UEFA up Final in 2003 - what is overlooked is that to be in the competition they had been knocked out of the Champions League. Strachan came in having to work with vastly reduced budgets and twice reached the last 16 of the Champions League, yet the Celtic fans never took to him. Personally don't think O'Neill did that great at Villa considering the resources available to him there. For our sake though, I hope you go for O'Neill or Jones :laughcont:

aaah - so your saying he's better than Martin O'Neill.........

Archived