IGNORED

Exclusive Chat With Chairman.

bcfcmike

That we lack ambition and always seem to go for players and managers in the bottom two divisions?

Shame really, if you're happy with settling for shite like that then good on you.

I'm not.

This club has ambition - we are not rovers.

You dont have to sign big name players or managers to have ambition.

Where has big names or expensive signings ever got us? Marcus Stewart, Michael Bridges, David James, Steve Coppell, Lee Trundle, Tony Thorpe, Lee Peacock etc etc

Compare that to unproven players or managers

Gary Johnson

Adriano Basso

Marvin Elliott

Shaun Goater

Scott Murray

Albert Adomah

Brian Tinnion

Leroy Lita

Jim Brennan

Mickey Bell

Darren Barnard

could keep going

The trick is to spot the talent, before the rest - and have them make their names playing/managing us.

This club has ambition - we are not rovers.

Where has big names or expensive signings ever got us? Marcus Stewart, Michael Bridges, David James, Steve Coppell, Lee Trundle, Tony Thorpe, Lee Peacock etc etc

Compare that to unproven players or managers

Gary Johnson

Adriano Basso

Marvin Elliott

Shaun Goater

Scott Murray

Albert Adomah

Brian Tinnion

Leroy Lita

Jim Brennan

Mickey Bell

Darren Barnard

could keep going

The trick is to spot the talent, before the rest - and have them make their names playing/managing us.

Yeah because we've not brought any unheard-of dudds have we?

Our history over the last 10 years is littered with horsesh*t nobodies who have failed as well.

John Akinde

Barry Corr

Bas Savage

Jamie McAllister

I can't be bothered to go through and list them all - people should know how many there are.

Like I've said we seem to be a decent League 1 side but when we get up at this level, seem to settle for mid to lower end of the table without aiming for higher.

The appointment of Keith Millen screamed that - cheap, quick option.

I fear again we will go with someone without the necessary credentials.

Then again at least Robins will be cheap.....

We seem to always try for that first.

And your first one? Gary Johnson?

Where is he now?

League Two.

Yeah because we've not brought any unheard-of dudds have we?

Our history over the last 10 years is littered with horsesh*t nobodies who have failed as well.

John Akinde

Barry Corr

Bas Savage

Jamie McAllister

I can't be bothered to go through and list them all - people should know how many there are.

Like I've said we seem to be a decent League 1 side but when we get up at this level, seem to settle for mid to lower end of the table without aiming for higher.

The appointment of Keith Millen screamed that - cheap, quick option.

I fear again we will go with someone without the necessary credentials.

Then again at least Robins will be cheap.....

We seem to always try for that first.

And your first one? Gary Johnson?

Where is he now?

League Two.

Gary Johnson, Jamie Mcallister & even Bas savage did a good job for us.... fail.

Classic City if it were.

Talk big and then when it comes down to it we pick from a nobody in Scotland and a lower league grade manager.

The club has disappointed me for 90% of the last 20 years, why change now.

In general I agree with you. Lets be fair the man who pulls the strings for our beloved club has money that most chairmans could only dream about. The trouble with our leader is that he only wants to poke his toe into the water, but he doesn't want to fully dive in, by doing that he waste's most it, because we always end up going backwards! That's why we have had 2nd rate managers for a number of years and alot of 2nd rate players that other clubs don't want.

Can you imagine a Scott Davidson with Steve Landsdowns money...Blimey we would be pushing for europe by now.

In general I agree with you. Lets be fair the man who pulls the strings for our beloved club has money that most chairmans could only dream about. The trouble with our leader is that he only wants to poke his toe into the water, but he doesn't want to fully dive in, by doing that he waste's most it, because we always end up going backwards! That's why we have had 2nd rate managers for a number of years and alot of 2nd rate players that other clubs don't want.

Can you imagine a Scott Davidson with Steve Landsdowns money...Blimey we would be pushing for europe by now.

COME BACK SCOTT

You must be joking.

Your talking about the man who spent 1 million quid on a striker, after we had just signed a million pound striker... without consulting the manager....

that million quid could have been spent on the rest of the team....

instead we got relegated. Oh and he's responsible for bringing in Benny the clown.

He was linked with alot of jobs last season, West Brom and Burnley to name a few.. he turned them down to stay at St Johnstone.

Were bottom of the league but there is another 36 games.. You dont go out and there give someone the job based on them knowing the division, we want someone who is ambitious and can get the best out of our players.

What you mean is he applied for the west brom job and got knocked back at the inquirey stage, no one i been talking too on the St Johnstone forum know anything about Burnley?? But state he appied for the Brentford Job but didnt get it??

You must be joking.

Your talking about the man who spent 1 million quid on a striker, after we had just signed a million pound striker... without consulting the manager....

instead we got relegated. Oh and he's responsible for bringing in Benny the clown.

Theres been a few clowns down the gate since then. We have just sacked one remember. But your right he had the balls to fork out 1 mill on a player in those days. Just think what he would have done with SL's money!!!

PS. Don't forget the Coppell saga either

You must be joking.

ahhh, Normal service has resumed.

Benny was a good coach and did an excellent job with younger players, if the senior players would have given him a chance sooner, we COULD have stayed up that season.

Personally I still blame John Ward for throwing his toys out the pram and quitting.

That said Davidson was a clown with his money and was wasting in stupidly, 2m+ on forward and then Julian Watts....what were we thinking!

What you mean is he applied for the west brom job and got knocked back at the inquirey stage, no one i been talking too on the St Johnstone forum know anything about Burnley?? But state he appied for the Brentford Job but didnt get it??

On the St Johnstone forum it said he'd been linked with Burnley several times before they got Eddie Howe, and he turned down the Brentford job...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13327691.stm - I rest my case.

Theres been a few clowns down the gate since then. We have just sacked one remember. But your right he had the balls to fork out 1 mill on a player in those days. Just think what he would have done with SL's money!!!

PS. Don't forget the Coppell saga either

So we did'nt sign Trundle for a million quid? Maynard for 2.25?

Not to mention spending more than half a million on...

Pitman

McIndoe

Clarkson

Woolford

JCR

Sproule

ahhh, Normal service has resumed.

Benny was a good coach and did an excellent job with younger players, if the senior players would have given him a chance sooner, we COULD have stayed up that season.

Personally I still blame John Ward for throwing his toys out the pram and quitting.

That said Davidson was a clown with his money and was wasting in stupidly, 2m+ on forward and then Julian Watts....what were we thinking!

That said scott was certainly no clown, a genuine fan yes , clown no.

Mod Note: This post has been edited after reports.

I am reassured by the interview.

It's different this time. Of course CS has to consult SL about this but he is obviously in the background and (although not said) I am sure he is not on the selection committee.

No knee jerk reactions this time. They are taking a careful, in depth look at all the applicants and (as he said) just like in any business, whittling the candidates down to a short list, then selecting two final contenders to come back for a second interview.

Although all the speculation is fun, it's totally pointless.

I think we will all know who has been recruited by Tuesday or Wednesday next week and then (whoever it is) we need to give him a big welcome next Saturday at AG and get right behind him and the team with the obvious priority of securing our first home win of the season as the first step towards moving onwards and upwards.

In Colin I trust.

But surely thats doubtful seeing that St Johnson has said that Bristol City have shown interest in taking him?

I agree that McInnes will be in the process, but when did St Johnstone say that we had shown an interest?

The only thing I've seen is their chairman saying if City made an approach and compensation was agreed he wouldn't stand in his way, which isnt a Bristol City specific comment.

So we did'nt sign Trundle for a million quid? Maynard for 2.25?

Not to mention spending more than half a million on...

Pitman

McIndoe

Clarkson

Woolford

JCR

Sproule

Yeah as I said all 2nd rate players, except Pitman and Maynard. But we can't even get Maynard to sign a contract, I wonder why!!! Your previous statement said that Davidson wasted spending 1 mill on a striker instead of buying a few players. so why didn't we sell NM for 6mill then to Leicester. He's now going to leave us at christmas for much less, or go at the end of the season for **** all. Come on SL get that cheque book out your back pocket, you can't take it with you, when you leave this planet. Make us a big club, not a laughing stock!

No more 2nd rate managers or players.

We went for 'ambition' with Coppell. It didn't work out.

Look at how other similar sized clubs have got to the Prem - Swansea, Norwich (slightly bigger I admit), Hull City etc. They all went with managers who weren't big names or could be consider 'ambitious'.

We just have to pick the right guy- doesn't have to be a big name or even 'proven'. As long as he can deliver stability over the next 2 years and then push on.

I agree that McInnes will be in the process, but when did St Johnstone say that we had shown an interest?

The only thing I've seen is their chairman saying if City made an approach and compensation was agreed he wouldn't stand in his way, which isnt a Bristol City specific comment.

You are probably correct but read on their forums that it is all the talk up there so guessed one and one equals ?

Yeah as I said all 2nd rate players, except Pitman and Maynard. But we can't even get Maynard to sign a contract, I wonder why!!! Your previous statement said that Davidson wasted spending 1 mill on a striker instead of buying a few players. so why didn't we sell NM for 6mill then to Leicester. He's now going to leave us at christmas for much less, or go at the end of the season for **** all. Come on SL get that cheque book out your back pocket, you can't take it with you, when you leave this planet. Make us a big club, not a laughing stock!

No more 2nd rate managers or players.

McIndoe - 2nd rate.......tosh

As for Maynard - you living under a stone? Maynard didn't want to join leicester hence there was no point accepting the bid, even if it was a £100m. The player wasn't going to go, it's not the club's fault Maynard is waiting for a Bosman, he's within his right to do it, whether anyone likes it or not.

McIndoe - 2nd rate.......tosh

As for Maynard - you living under a stone? Maynard didn't want to join leicester hence there was no point accepting the bid, even if it was a £100m. The player wasn't going to go, it's not the club's fault Maynard is waiting for a Bosman, he's within his right to do it, whether anyone likes it or not.

Agreed but had the club accepted Leicester's bid it would have at least exonerated them from any blame in the process. Of course you are right, but players have things most of the time their own way, by publicaly stating that a bid had been accepted migth yes MIGHT have forced the issue, by doing nothing the ball remains firmly in the players court.

if davidson had Lansdown cash we would of had the most expensive team ever to be relegated from the championship, your even too young or don't remember, but Scott was always sticking his nose into first team affears and buying players not required, half the reason John Ward went,

You think board interference is bad then it was much worse back then,

As for lack of ambition how the **** can you accuse anyone at the club of that at the moment aren't we trying to build a new 92 million pount ground as well as spending 4.5 million on the training ground and between 2 - 5 million on players ever freaking season since we got promoted,

Yes belt tightening is going on but thats because we lost 12 million last season and from what I have heard we are going to lose 8 - 10 million by the end of this year, where the hell do you think the money comes from to balance the books to keep the tax man away?

have a word with yourself please

That doesn't hold any weight that big players/managers are not the right option, it just shows that we sign the wrong ones.

As for naming all of the unknowns that have been good for us... well that's hardly surprising since we sign two types of players, unknowns and "big names" who aren't actually big but more overrated.

The bottom line is this club is becoming more and more stale each season since our first in the Championship and it'll continue to go in this direction unless something lights a fire under it's backside and bringing in a poor manager when we're bottom of the league is hardly going to do that.

This clubs fans are being criticised as not being fans for saying that they're not happy with the club and yet what do they have to be excited about.

I'm sorry but Bristol City are a small club, always will be a small club and we'll never go anywhere if we're always willing to accept 2nd best, 3rd best or more the case, 24th best...

As for lack of ambition how the **** can you accuse anyone at the club of that at the moment aren't we trying to build a new 92 million pount ground as well as spending 4.5 million on the training ground and between 2 - 5 million on players ever freaking season since we got promoted,

Yes belt tightening is going on but thats because we lost 12 million last season and from what I have heard we are going to lose 8 - 10 million by the end of this year, where the hell do you think the money comes from to balance the books to keep the tax man away?

have a word with yourself please

Ambition is a stadium? What's the point in a new stadium if our manager is a mug, our players don't give a crap about the club and the board always seem to settle for second best!

Don't get me wrong, it's great we want this new stadium but if we get it and we're in League One then it's completley pointless when we can't even fill the one we have when we're in the Championship.

Ambition to me is getting a strong squad with a good manager and moving up, not getting a Stadium and propping up the rest of the Championship.

As for the money situation, if we're losing so much why don't they try getting rid of the dead wood who are overpaid, giving the fans a real reason to turn up and generate more cash. Simple fact, sales of all merch would probably go through the roof if we were fighting for Promotion. It takes money to make money and if we're seen as a backwards club with no ambition then we'll keep losing money, the only way to change that is to get where the money is.

That doesn't hold any weight that big players/managers are not the right option, it just shows that we sign the wrong ones.

As for naming all of the unknowns that have been good for us... well that's hardly surprising since we sign two types of players, unknowns and "big names" who aren't actually big but more overrated.

The bottom line is this club is becoming more and more stale each season since our first in the Championship and it'll continue to go in this direction unless something lights a fire under it's backside and bringing in a poor manager when we're bottom of the league is hardly going to do that.

This clubs fans are being criticised as not being fans for saying that they're not happy with the club and yet what do they have to be excited about.

I'm sorry but Bristol City are a small club, always will be a small club and we'll never go anywhere if we're always willing to accept 2nd best, 3rd best or more the case, 24th best...

Agree with a lot of that..the one thing the club has to much of is sentiment, always has The majority shareholder is an astute and ruthless businessman and for the criticism he gets one thing we shouldn't denigh is that he has had a major influence on our club and I hope will continue to do so. But please can we see some of that ruthless streak when deeling with the football club....lets try something diferent, we have had the Watford coaching acedemy down here, not my cup of tea but there you go....I hope we can be a bit brave and offer a change from the tired, English football approach. IF we could attract a Zola type (providing the demands were realistic) what a change of direction that would be, yes its fantastical but it would inidacte a new approach rather than the same old road we have trudged time and again.

Whoever they appoint it matters not what size of club we are in peoples minds, what is key that the manager is first and foremost a man who appreciateds technical ability, is tactically astute, is able to coach to a high standard to improve the level of perofrmance of the current squad and of equal importance the ability to spot talent on a restricted budget. That is a big ask for the board but it is the sort of thinking that should be going into the current process.

Archived