IGNORED

Embarrassed

Bris Red

I dont think age is relevant to it.

I am 31 years old - I think if he applied he may do quite well for us and I'd welcome him as manager.

Now I am a relative youngster.

My grandfather is many, many years my senior. He is strongly Bristol City but in the 1950s used to go down to Eastville on a saturday and watch Rovers when City were away.

I agree, my father worked with a man who had season tickets, not only for City & Rovers, but Somerset and Gloucester too..

So maybe there is tolerance in younger and older and not this childish dislike of a guy because he played for Bristol Rovers FC.

Please read my original post. I did say that Terry Cooper, Brian williams, Keith Curle and Timmy Carter all made the short trip to South Bristol, and were all accepted by the red side.

To think some people would not want a man to manage our club because he once played for Rovers.

Absolutely, utterly fking ridiculous.

Again, Terry Cooper made the transition, and became one of the most popular managers Ashton Gate has ever had.

Even Tony Pulis was acceptable to me at the time of the appointment. (although I would've preferred Moyes)

My cousin is marrying a guy that is a season ticket holder at Rovers.

Should she not marry him because of that??

If she loves him, she should marry him, but I'm no marriage councillor. My brother in law is a Blue. I have no problems with him. Better to support your home town team than be a glory hunter in my eyes. Furthermore, in fact, my best man was/is a Blue!

But this is irrelevant, and nothing to do with my original comment.

I spend family get togethers laughing at his team (he is also now laughing at us but still....) - I don't get some people on here, I really don't.

Again, irrelevant, but thanks for sharing.

Holloway may not be the best candidate, then he shouldn't get it if he did apply - but if he didn't get it because of who he played for or managed before - then fking hell, we are all thick.

The problem is that supporters have been split with Millens appointment. The club needs a united front in order to improve and stay up this season. Any of the names mentioned should get the backing of the support. Holloway will not unite the supporters.

So people are up in arms over the things Ian Holloway said 20 years ago and other comments he may have made.... Let's put this in to context, anybody here slated HIM?, Bristol Rovers?, other Bristol Rovers managers?.... it's football, it's banter and WE collectively are just as abusive as he has ever been. We have verbally attacked him (and his family in songs etc), have we slated MANY other people/clubs? Yes we bloody have!. As a City fan I want a manager who has the ability to at first keep us up this season, and subsequently take us up to the Premier League. Am I alone?.

If he was genuinely the best manager available to us - and that's an absolutely enormous if - then of course I'd welcome him here.

Why would we settle for second best?

But it's all academic because, for lots of reasons, I'm sure he's not the best manager available to us.

Red Panda, I thought you were dead.

Someone bought me a sponsorship for you at Bristol Zoo two Xmas's ago, and they wrote to me saying you had passed away.

They also asked if I wanted to sponsor another animal instead - but I never replied, as I was too upset.

Are you real? If so, Bristol Zoo will be getting a very snotty letter - I can tell you.

Glad you are still breathing.

TfR - animal lover.

I see nothing wrong with wanting him (yep the comments he made were pathetic, but he was young and I can forgive and forget).

At least he would show some passion and make interviews interesting!! I quite like the guy myself (having listened to the likes of Lumsden in the past.

its completely irrelevant anyway as it is NEVER going to happen!

Sad about the hate on here and against fellow city fans, I LOVE city, I Love to watch them beat the Rovers, but I do not hate anyone, Rovers included.

Can't believe there are some people who kick up more of a fuss about us having a little bit of blue in our away kit, and yet when there's talk of employing the "arch enemy" he's welcomed with open arms.

Mark my words, if he became City manager it would rip the club in half, and if he took us down we'd NEVER EVER hear the last of it off the Gash !! Is that what us City fans want?

I don't hate the guy and I don't think he's a scumbag, but from a Bristol Football point of view there is boundaries you never overstep and this is one of them.

Outside of football he's a decent enough kind of chap, but whilst football is involved, he'll still be the anti-Christ and will get booed and heckled at every opportunity.

Who else is embarrassed and sickened by the support that scum bag Holloway is getting by some of our fans on here?

If i wasn't disenchanted enough by Ciy at the moment this really has made me think. Shame on any of you that want him as city manager, ******* shame on you!

I can just hear the comments and jibes from gashead mates associates in any scenario:

-- Hollowhead gets us promotion. "Hahaha the only way you lot can achieve success is with a gas legend".

-- Survival, mid table, top six. "If it wasn't for Holloway you shitheads would be relegated".

-- Hollowhead gets us relegated. "Hahahaha good old Olly( or whatever they call him), your club got sabotaged by a rovers legend".

Not to mention the grief i would get week in week out based on the above points. The op is right, he is a scumbag and will never get my support whether as our manager or a visiting manager.

He wont get the job though, our board aren't that mental.

Hit the nail firmly on the head, that is the exact emotion I feel when reading how many of our fans would accept that inbred little gas cretin at our club. Embarrassment. Complete and utter embarrassment. Maybe I'm being narrow minded and immature, but I don't care. The day it is acceptable for someone of that level of gas to be welcomed into Ashton Gate is the day I seriously ask myself what is the point of supporting and caring about this Football Club.

yes, yes and yes. even saw someone writing that cardiff are considered more our rivals than rovers nowadays. Good god. you get the sense many of the apologists never attended the derbies of the 80s/90s. modern football has changed, the new fan is an idiot, his brain mixed up with garbage from soccer am etc. the fact these people who reckon they are city can even consider having that gas moron at our club is pure treachery. I am utterly ashamed these people want him at our club. How can they call themselves city, do they not know what being city means? these fans are every bit as mercenary as the new breed of player. :disapointed2se:

Holloway won't come here but as I have posted before the attitude demonstrated on here by the majority, demonstrates what a stupid lot football supporters are. To hold grudges depending on what team he played for /supports is well in my book primitive and is proving to all that football supporters are a strange bunch that evolution has given up on. They call the'other' guy inbred, **** wits, and so on, need to take a long hard look at yourselves in the mirror.

All sports have a history of recruiting the best man for the job and put aside petty regional arguments, but not in Bristol, jeez talk about living in the past, am I glad I got out at a young agesurrender.gif

well said that man +1

Football is about rivalries,history and passion,and thats how it should be,without them you might as well stare at a wall as go to a game.Some people say hollowhead is a passsionate bloke and how it would be a good thing if he managed us,well I'm passionately against that village idiot having anything to do with our club,you know what with the rivalry,history and his passionate dislike for us. :gasmask:

I can just hear the comments and jibes from gashead mates associates in any scenario:

-- Hollowhead gets us promotion. "Hahaha the only way you lot can achieve success is with a gas legend".

When Ward got us promoted I was more than happy to deal with the jibes.

You really can't see the huge difference between affable journeyman manager John Ward and the lifelong City hating buffoon Hollowhead?

Of course there's a difference. BUT, gasheads certianly made comments at the time.

The subject of Holloway joining just isn't that big an issue in the grand scheme of things for me.

He had a big gob on him in the 80s and 90s. So what.

If he takes the job we'll all have to decide whether we make the most of it or carry on like we've got chips on our shoulders. I haven't got the energy for the latter.

When Ward got us promoted I was more than happy to deal with the jibes.

Ward managed Rovers for 3 years(i think). He never played for them and as far as i know he doesn't personally support them. Whereas Hollowhead had several spells at rovers as a player and is diehard gas through and through. Any jibes from rovers fans regarding Ward are pretty much insignificant compared to that other bald freak.

If Mcliesh got Villa Champions league football for example, the fans wouldn't really be bothered about any comments from Birmingham fans. If a die-hard Birmingham fan and legend had got the Villa job and achieved the same i couldnt see the fans taking the jokes too lightly, they would feel slightly pissed off about the fact that they needed 'The enemy' to give them success and that it will be rubbed in there noses most of the time.

Maybe an odd comparison.

Yes, clearly Holloway is more of a Gas figurehead than Ward - is there supposed to be a line drawn somewhere?

Is an ex-player OK? Is an ex-player with 2, 3, 5 years experience OK?

People should get over themselves.

I couldn't really give a toss about gas fans. Those gas fans that I know are now grown up, like me. We actually respect each other - because we're mature enough to support different clubs and have a bit of banter.

If that doesn't describe you as a fan that's a shame. If you associate with gasheads who are particularly idiotic and immature than find other friends and associates. Don't let them get in the way of us getting the right man for the job.

Bear in mind - they'd hate it if we got him so, using your logic, that's points awarded to you isn't it?

Yes, clearly Holloway is more of a Gas figurehead than Ward - is there supposed to be a line drawn somewhere?

I couldn't really give a toss about gas fans. Those gas fans that I know are now grown up, like me. We actually respect each other - because we're mature enough to support different clubs and have a bit of banter.

If that doesn't describe you as a fan that's a shame. If you associate with gasheads who are particularly idiotic and immature than find other friends and associates. Don't let them get in the way of us getting the right man for the job.

Bear in mind - they'd hate it if we got him so, using your logic, that's points awarded to you isn't it?

Likewise, people who want him should get over themselves also . Everybody has an opinion, it's just that this topic causes more division than unison.

Tit by name..........Tit by nature?

Why?

Sure he made a few mistakes in the past, who hasn't? And it was 10 years ago. I'm sure he'd whip those Catholics into shape.

He may be a life long supporter of the enemy & managed them for a while, but that shouldn't rule him out (except he's dead).

Why?

Sure he made a few mistakes in the past, who hasn't? And it was 10 years ago. I'm sure he'd whip those Catholics into shape.

He may be a life long supporter of the enemy & managed them for a while, but that shouldn't rule him out (except he's dead).

He maybe dead, but he has more life in him than some managers

I couldn't agree more with your final point.

The point Ive been making today is only a fraction of why i wont have Holloway here.

In the main i couldnt give a toss about the other side either, i suppose i just dont want the ones i know to have that card to play. We are mature - respect each other and have regular banter over our teams, oddly enough that seems to have stopped since they went down. None the less it does on odd occasions stoop to a more childish level. Boys will be boys i suppose.

Regardless of whether me and friends discuss managerial rivalries over tea and biscuits, or descend into a drunken immature rabble over the matter, its not really gonna get in the way of us getting the right man. After all only the board has a say in all that.

Why?

A few mistakes in the past, are you kidding me? Yes TIT BY NAME TIT BY NATURE!!!!!

Not sure your age CiderArmy and don't want to sound patronising.....

I am of an age that I remember. I am not scum. I am a season ticket holder, and bar Tinnions reign, have been since the Eighties.

I went to Twerton Park that fateful night, when the third division title was ours to lose.

I lived through the "Blue Holloway" years, and no matter how you mature, things still rankle.. His gesticulating, his open top bus rant, Enough.

Glory hunters change their allegances, but not people who support their home town teams. Not me, not you, not Holloway.

I didn't watch Match of the day at all last season, I couldn't stomach that man on my TV.

Terry Cooper, Brian Williams, Keith Curle, Tim Carter, all made the change to RED and were accepted at Ashton Gate (I'm sure there may be more).

But, when it comes to that man, as the Rev Ian Paisley once said, never, never, NEVER!!

Again, As a season ticket holder, I will support my team. Robins, Jones, O Driscoll, McInnes, or whoever will get my support.

Call me what you will. But I am not Scum. I am Red. Bristol City Red.

Well said. How anyone can accuse you of 'being over the top' is beyond me. It's called passion. Passion makes you do stupid things. Stupid things like wasting good money after bad following a team that in your heart of hearts you know will probably never achieve anything. Stupid things like having an irrational hatred of somebody purely because he supports/played for/managed another team. And yes, in the real world hating somebody for such a stupid reason is pathetic. But it isn't the real world. It's football. If you take the passion out then what is the point of supporting this club? We may as well all go and 'support' Manchester United. Even if Holloway did have the managerial ability that some on the forum think he had I still wouldn't want him anywhere near my club. The fact he is horribly overrated and built up by the media purely because of his unintelligent, yet apparently funny?, rants makes the point even more bewildering.

Archived