IGNORED

Championship Experience

Riaz

So Kenny Daglish was appointed due to his vast PL experience? As was the last 4 Chelsea managers. CL experience is not PL experience remember. The reason clubs in the PL appoint high profile is due to pressure and the need for instant success.

Whereas we should just be thankful we can get no-names and wait for another few decades of ordinary standard football?

Whereas we should just settle with what we can get right?

That's the spirit, and we wonder why we are so shite.

Do yourself a favour mate, go and spend an hour reading what other fans, managers and officials say about McInnes and try and get an idea of his potential and current management qualities and you'll soon change your mind.

Whereas we should just settle with what we can get right?

That's the spirit, and we wonder why we are so shite.

Your arguments are getting silly now hicksy. You disproved your own argument several times now. Just leave it.

Mcinnes is a up and coming manager who is getting plaudits from his peers, he lost out on the wba job when they were in the prem.

If you haven't heard of him, or know so little about him that is your problem, no one elses. Maybe if you took more interest in the further world of football you may learn something.

Stop digging that hole, you won't be able to climb out soon.

If he is appointed, which is not certain yet, see how he does. You can clamour for any manager you like, only time will prove if they are successful or not. Not your opinion on how tinpotish the club they are coming from is.

Do yourself a favour mate, go and spend an hour reading what other fans, managers and officials say about McInnes and try and get an idea of his potential and current management qualities and you'll soon change your mind.

Spot on, I bet he hasn't even bothered to do a little research on McInnes. Not many people were sure what he was about but after reading several opinions and looking at his statistics, it's clear to see he is very highly rated.

Dave Jones is too much like Steve Coppell, been there & done it.. We need some energy and charisma.

I'll support any manager we get.

I supported Millen right up to the end - though voiced serious concerns when he was appointed that again we had made the wrong choice.

I just think the arguments taken by some that experience at this level is not relevant to be ridiculous.

I would like to see us bring somebody in with good experience either at this level or a similar level. I just don't see McInnes to have that.

I also wouldn't want Robins in either.

We got too stuck down in the Chelsea point - I was merely pointing out that if experience at a level wasn't relevant, then Chelsea, Liverpool and co would also hire managers down in the L1 and L2 realms - which they don't.

Reason being experience at a certain level is important and always will be. L1 managers can't necessarily do the job up in the Championship or PL.

I'll support any manager we get.

I supported Millen right up to the end - though voiced serious concerns when he was appointed that again we had made the wrong choice.

I just think the arguments taken by some that experience at this level is not relevant to be ridiculous.

I would like to see us bring somebody in with good experience either at this level or a similar level. I just don't see McInnes to have that.

I also wouldn't want Robins in either.

We got too stuck down in the Chelsea point - I was merely pointing out that if experience at a level wasn't relevant, then Chelsea, Liverpool and co would also hire managers down in the L1 and L2 realms - which they don't.

Reason being experience at a certain level is important and always will be. L1 managers can't necessarily do the job up in the Championship or PL.

But the Chelsea example is perfect, they signed a unproven manager from a league that is a much lower standard than the prem, with a manager with no experience of managing or playing in it. A manager with no experience of managing or playing in the champions league. They took a gamble because he was a good up and coming manager who was getting glowing recommendation from his peers.

Now look at mcinnes, he is exactly the same type of manager, both are gambles, both may or may not come off.

2 years ago would you have suggested avb would have been Chelsea's manager when at academia? Good up and coming coaches need to be given their chance.

Moyes, Martinez, big Sam, redknapp Owen could I could go on, all given a chance in the prem from the championship or lower.

But the Chelsea example is perfect, they signed a unproven manager from a league that is a much lower standard than the prem, with a manager with no experience of managing or playing in it. A manager with no experience of managing or playing in the champions league. They took a gamble because he was a good up and coming manager who was getting glowing recommendation from his peers.

Now look at mcinnes, he is exactly the same type of manager, both are gambles, both may or may not come off.

2 years ago would you have suggested avb would have been Chelsea's manager when at academia? Good up and coming coaches need to be given their chance.

Moyes, Martinez, big Sam, redknapp Owen could I could go on, all given a chance in the prem from the championship or lower.

Was Villas-Boas not a key member of the backroom staff of Mourinho though??

That's not exactly no experience is it?

Was Villas-Boas not a key member of the backroom staff of Mourinho though??

That's not exactly no experience is it?

Not managing or playing. You get that from doing it. Learning your trade at a lower level and hoping someone takes a gamble on your ability

And remember we was so prominent. Messers Cole and terry said they could hardly remember him there. But that may say more about those two than boas

The Hype level for Mcinnes has gone too far I feel. its literally reached insanity.

Oh the AVB never achieved anything? Lets see. Managed the British Virgin Islands aged 21, learnt his trade under Mourinho at Porto as assistant manager and as coach for Bobby Robson. Took Academica from bottom of the Portugese league to 11th and to the Portugese Cup Semi Finals

Went to Porto, won everything that he could there. Portugese League, Portugese Cup, Portugese Super Cup, Europa League. What else do you want the bloke to do to be considered 'good' enough? Chelsea took a risk, but he at least had the trophies to back up his potential

There is a Villa Boa's scout report knocking around on the net should people be interested here

For comparsion as people are keen to do

McInnes won promotion to the Scottish Prem, Won the Scottish Challenge Cup (LDV equivalent) and 2 eighth place finishes in the Scottish Prem.

Not on the same level is it really in terms of experience, success or level managed or anything.

McInnes, experience comes from playing in this league almost a decade ago nearly and managing in Scotland for a few years with 'mild' success/

AVB's experience comes from scouting and managing at the highest level he could at the time, taking the teams he has managed (unsure about the BVI) as far as he can thus far including major European trophies.

Going on about experience, all the managers people have mentioned in a number of threads, Fergie, Wenger etc, have had success elsewhere, and by that European wins, managed national sides, League wins, etc etc Or in the up and comers section have had experience managing in the English league system before their success good bad or otherwise, point is that they have done it. Lambert, Rodgers.

McInnes hasnt got either of that to fall back on and Im guessing is why people are so very very wary of him being appointed.

Why others come down on this like a tonne of bricks is beyond me.

I know how good AVB is, I thought at Academica he was a bit of a genious.

My hype surrounding McInnes is fair, i'm only going from what he's done so far in his management career which is all positive. Improved year on year. If he was the next biggest thing he would have a job in the EPL but for where we are in the league and as a club, he is a perfect fit imo.

Come on guys lets get a grip its pretty obvious why the board are courting lesser known managers...its because they wont put up the funds to radically improve the team which has been demanded by the top guys interested in the position.

Landsdown and Sexton know that all is needed is a stopgap who can keep us mid table until the stadium is delivered and the goose starts laying the golden eggs.

They obvioulsy have no ambition of Premier League football or THEY WOULD BE be approaching managers of suitable credentials instead of posting an advert in Budgens window..

When they appoint joe nobody he will have to be a kin magician to get anything out of the current crop of players we have and with zero funds..

Perhaps we ought to appoint Paul Daniels...

Come on guys lets get a grip its pretty obvious why the board are courting lesser known managers...its because they wont put up the funds to radically improve the team which has been demanded by the top guys interested in the position.

Landsdown and Sexton know that all is needed is a stopgap who can keep us mid table until the stadium is delivered and the goose starts laying the golden eggs.

They obvioulsy have no ambition of Premier League football or THEY WOULD BE be approaching managers of suitable credentials instead of posting an advert in Budgens window..

When they appoint joe nobody he will have to be a kin magician to get anything out of the current crop of players we have and with zero funds..

disagree. Mcinnes is a manager on the up with leadership qualities and knowledge of this league knowledge of promotion, determination and someone who knows how to work the transfer market on a budget.

ideal candidate in my opinion and if he'd gone somewhere else the likes of you would of been on here saying City never unearth gems like him

Like who? City could approach any number of decent quality managers but who would take the job?

Realistically City are a a small club and managers with 'suitable credentials' wouldn't be interested in the slightest in our job. Therefore City have to cut the cloth accordingly.

We'd all like someone like Martin O'neill but realistically someone like him just wouldn't be interested.

Like who? City could approach any number of decent quality managers but who would take the job?

Realistically City are a a small club and managers with 'suitable credentials' wouldn't be interested in the slightest in our job. Therefore City have to cut the cloth accordingly.

We'd all like someone like Martin O'neill but realistically someone like him just wouldn't be interested.

please can you say you dont rate mcinnes and call him a conference manager rather than rate him like you rated Millen. That way we'll all feel a lot more confident he'll take us up the league.

Thanks sage.

Lets look at his pedigree then shall we - here a few of his tem mates at Rangers, signed in 1998

Arthur Numan PSV Eindhoven £4.5m

Giovanni van Bronckhorst Feyenoord £5m

Andrei Kanchelskis Fiorentina £5.5m [2]

Lionel Charbonnier AJ Auxerre £1.2m

Rod Wallace Leeds United Free

Daniel Prodan Atlético Madrid £2.2m

Colin Hendry Blackburn Rovers £4m

Stephane Guivarc'h Newcastle United £3.5m [1]

Neil McCann Hearts £2m

Stefan Klos Borussia Dortmund £0.75m

Lee Feeney Linfield £0.1m

Craig Moore Crystal Palace £1m [2]

Claudio Reyna VFL Wolfsburg £2m

oh, and plus Brian Laudrup, Ali McCoist, Andy Goram, Stuart McCall, Gattuso

Recognise any names on there...?

I don't see yours - what makes you think you can judge a man by his experience to date.

Time for you to get a grip - WE CANNOT SPEND LOTS OF MONEY ala Jones/Davies, etc because of thre Financial Fair Play Rules or are you just going to say that they don't apply to us

Get real, we need a bloke who can get the best out of what we have.....

please can you say you dont rate mcinnes and call him a conference manager rather than rate him like you rated Millen. That way we'll all feel a lot more confident he'll take us up the league.

Thanks sage.

Like many on here I knew nothing about McInnes. Having a poor opinion of Scottish football and therefore little interest in whats going on north of the border, I'd never heard his name until he was linked to the City vacancy and if he doesn't get or take the job then I'll probably forget all about him.

The Hype level for Mcinnes has gone too far I feel. its literally reached insanity.

Oh the AVB never achieved anything? Lets see. Managed the British Virgin Islands aged 21, learnt his trade under Mourinho at Porto as assistant manager and as coach for Bobby Robson. Took Academica from bottom of the Portugese league to 11th and to the Portugese Cup Semi Finals

Went to Porto, won everything that he could there. Portugese League, Portugese Cup, Portugese Super Cup, Europa League. What else do you want the bloke to do to be considered 'good' enough? Chelsea took a risk, but he at least had the trophies to back up his potential

There is a Villa Boa's scout report knocking around on the net should people be interested here

For comparsion as people are keen to do

McInnes won promotion to the Scottish Prem, Won the Scottish Challenge Cup (LDV equivalent) and 2 eighth place finishes in the Scottish Prem.

Not on the same level is it really in terms of experience, success or level managed or anything.

McInnes, experience comes from playing in this league almost a decade ago nearly and managing in Scotland for a few years with 'mild' success/

AVB's experience comes from scouting and managing at the highest level he could at the time, taking the teams he has managed (unsure about the BVI) as far as he can thus far including major European trophies.

Going on about experience, all the managers people have mentioned in a number of threads, Fergie, Wenger etc, have had success elsewhere, and by that European wins, managed national sides, League wins, etc etc Or in the up and comers section have had experience managing in the English league system before their success good bad or otherwise, point is that they have done it. Lambert, Rodgers.

McInnes hasnt got either of that to fall back on and Im guessing is why people are so very very wary of him being appointed.

Why others come down on this like a tonne of bricks is beyond me.

EXACTLY what my point is.

Chelsea brought in Villas-Boas after he had proven credentials at a level that they are looking for and with experience at the highest levels with Mourinho as well.

People carrying on about McInnes you would think it is the second coming of Christ.

I don't share this euphoria.

Like many on here I knew nothing about McInnes. Having a poor opinion of Scottish football and therefore little interest in whats going on north of the border, I'd never heard his name until he was linked to the City vacancy and if he doesn't get or take the job then I'll probably forget all about him.

Knowing nothing doesnt normally stop you having an opinion

People do have a poor opinion of Scottish football.and rightly so.the best players come to England..and half are decent and half are not.there is less money in Scottish football..and I think to suceed as a manger u need to bulid a team from the bottom up. Coyle,rodgers,Lambert,Alex mcgeish,and more have suceeded given the chance.

And for me Dave Jones maybe out are bracket.who ever is manager I hope the fans give him more than a game to get it sorted

If Gary Johnson is a Championship class manager - then why does he find himself managing back down in the far reaches of League 2?

I have some vague memory of him taking us 90 minutes from the Premier League, the closest we've been to the top flight in over 30 years, despite employing plenty of managers with high-end experience on their way back down in the interim. Chelsea are one of the most attractive clubs in the world, they can attract almost anyone they want. Fwiw I'd have chosen Vilas-Boas over McInnes, but alas I doubt he cares all that much about us.

I have some vague memory of him taking us 90 minutes from the Premier League, the closest we've been to the top flight in over 30 years, despite employing plenty of managers with high-end experience on their way back down in the interim. Chelsea are one of the most attractive clubs in the world, they can attract almost anyone they want. Fwiw I'd have chosen Vilas-Boas over McInnes, but alas I doubt he cares all that much about us.

We rode the wave of promotion that season and massively out-performed compared to other squads.

I too enjoyed that season and the promotion and will be forever grateful to Mr Johnson for providing a tremendously enjoyable set of seasons.

BUT - my question stands. How come now then he is once again a League 2 manager?

Some are cut out for the Prem and Championship - others are more suited to the lower leagues.

Mr Johnson and his 'squeezing of the middle' is best suited down in those leagues where he can have his no-name players, his big carthorses like Jamie McCombe and Enoch Showumni and be relatively successful.

The higher leagues you have more "name" players and you have to be able to handle them. Johnson couldn't - just read Lee Trundle's account in his book on his man-management skills of some players.

That's just how it is.

The point stands if he was a manager of Championship standard - that is where he would be. Did you once see his name in the Forest candidates?

We rode the wave of promotion that season and massively out-performed compared to other squads.

I too enjoyed that season and the promotion and will be forever grateful to Mr Johnson for providing a tremendously enjoyable set of seasons.

BUT - my question stands. How come now then he is once again a League 2 manager?

Some are cut out for the Prem and Championship - others are more suited to the lower leagues.

Mr Johnson and his 'squeezing of the middle' is best suited down in those leagues where he can have his no-name players, his big carthorses like Jamie McCombe and Enoch Showumni and be relatively successful.

The higher leagues you have more "name" players and you have to be able to handle them. Johnson couldn't - just read Lee Trundle's account in his book on his man-management skills of some players.

That's just how it is.

The point stands if he was a manager of Championship standard - that is where he would be. Did you once see his name in the Forest candidates?

so if Dave jones was championship standard thats where he'd be then? Billy Davies like wise?

Are you just trying to argue with yourself here?

Archived