IGNORED

Good Luck To Estonia Tonight

GrahamC

As usual their opponents have picked Englishmen and players stolen from Scotland (but for this one none from Northern Ireland) in their "Ireland" line up.........

Oh and before anyone mentions that Henry goal, they've also had some very curious sendings off and penalties go in their favour since that.........

As usual their opponents have picked Englishmen and players stolen from Scotland (but for this one none from Northern Ireland) in their "Ireland" line up.........

Oh and before anyone mentions that Henry goal, they've also had some very curious sendings off and penalties go in their favour since that.........

Speak for yourself mate, good luck to Eire.

The Republic of Ireland is not a home country team, they are a foreign country.

With all the history between us and the Irish and with the hundreds of service men who lost there lives in Ireland (particularily on a special day like this), I could never support them at anything

This has to be the most ill informed post I have ever read on OTIB

This has to be the most ill informed post I have ever read on OTIB

It can't be most ill-informed comment ever as the first sentence is correct. The REPUBLIC of Ireland is a sovereign state in its own right.

The second sentence however is ill-informed as any troubles in Ireland stem from the British invasion in the 18th century. Although you could argue the Irish started it in the 6th century by raiding, but I digress. Of course I feel for the death of all servicemen in Ireland but we unfortunately started it.

For the record I didn't want EIRE to win tonight. They would never cheer us so I will follow suit

It can't be most ill-informed comment ever as the first sentence is correct. The REPUBLIC of Ireland is a sovereign state in its own right.

The second sentence however is ill-informed as any troubles in Ireland stem from the British invasion in the 18th century. Although you could argue the Irish started it in the 6th century by raiding, but I digress. Of course I feel for the death of all servicemen in Ireland but we unfortunately started it.

For the record I didn't want EIRE to win tonight. They would never cheer us so I will follow suit

This.

Ireland is not part of the UK, so the comment is correct.

And no true Irishman has EVER supported England, so I couldn't give **** how they do.

Some people need to know the truth - they f-kin hate us!

This.

And no true Irishman has EVER supported England, so I couldn't give **** how they do.

No they don't! I've certainly never found the last sentence to be true in my many visits to the Republic - indeed the vast majority of sports loving Irishmen seem to support English club sides.

BTW Busterrimes - I think you'll find it was the 12th Century Norman French invasion of Leinster which kicked off the earlier 'difficulties' the English crown had with Ireland.

Yea.. ya got me there.. I should have been far more specific and stated it was the second sentence.

51k Irishmen (according to Wiki article) made the ultimate sacrifice during WW1, which the OP obviously did not know about, hence my 'ill informed' comment.

This.

Spot on harry, they hate us, like Wales and Scotland the hatred is both hereditary and drilled in to them by their parents (not all of them, but most).

I used to be English 1st, British 2nd now just English - stuff the lot of 'em!

Spot on harry, they hate us, like Wales and Scotland the hatred is both hereditary and drilled in to them by their parents (not all of them, but most).

I used to be English 1st, British 2nd now just English - stuff the lot of 'em!

As someone who has lived in Ireland and has an Irish father I can confirm they do have a strong dislike of us (England). Whenever England were playing on the telly the vast majority were supporting the other side. It was also common place for the sound to be turned down when our national anthem was playing before the match! They never had a problem with me on a personal level and I made some good friends but they definitely don't like us as a nation. I know I should rise above it but I can't bring myself to support them as a consequence.

The scots are a mixed bunch and there are significant numbers that want us to do well. Whether they 'support' us or not is usually dependant on them being Rangers or Celtic.

Wow. Some very blinkered views on this thread.

With regards to the Irish 'hating' the English, for the vast majority of citizens in the Republic (yes, it's a separate country, not a 'home' nation) it's an element of banter rather than actual hatred. Ireland has a long history of emigration to the UK (as well as everywhere else in the world) not to mention supporting English football teams.

In fact, it could be argued that their generally supportive stance is somewhat magnanimous when you consider the 800 years of oppression, culminating in the Potato Famine of 1845 which was exasperated by the land-theft of Oliver Cromwell, causing the death of 1 million, with another 1 million being forced to flee. By 1871 the population had fallen from 8 million to 4 million, such was the devastation. The emotional toll survives to this day, and is in many ways part of the nations rich literary and musical heritage, and is part of the reason that such haunting songs are sung by young and old in pubs up and down the country.

Many academics worldwide consider the actions of the English aristocracy at the time to constitute genocide, as it pursued a race and ethnicity-based policy aimed at destroying the Irish people. In many ways, it was the nation's Holocaust.

I didn't learn this information until I moved to Ireland, and visited some of the historic graveyards for myself, or saw the photos taken from this generation, or spoke to ancestors whose parents and grandparents had passed down horrific stories of suffering, sacrifice and humiliation. This history is not taught in English schools, which conveniently imagines that Anglo-Irish history began in 1969.

Some people need to do some cursory research before posting bigoted views on the internet.

This.

you have clearly never been to Ireland and experienced the fantastic and wonderful hospitality. Next summer, get in the car and drive around Ireland staying in local B&B's/guest houses - wonderful country with wonderful people. You will see for yourself they dont hate us when they cant do enough for you.

Archived