IGNORED

Good Luck To Estonia Tonight

GrahamC

I can not see how my original post was incorrect.

The Republic of Ireland is an Independant Country and from 1971 to 1997 a total of 763 British Military personnel were killed (murdered) during the troubles in Ireland.

Thats all fact I am afraid.

I have some good friends who are welsh, Irish and Scottish and they are lovely people however I have never know any of them to support the English at any sporting event, in fact we are the number 1 enemies and nothing gives them greater pleasure than beating the English at anything.

I could never support the Irish, Scots or Welsh at anything sporting wise

I know a lot of irish and welsh folk and to say that they 'hate the english' is a ridiculous and untrue statement. They love to see us get beaten at any competitive sport, but the vast majority of them have no problem with English people whatsoever. Obviously they have their fair share of knuckle dragging morons as we appear to have, but all of the Irish I know see it as rivalry rather than anything approaching hatred. In fact, their main complaint is of English arrogance and looking at some of the posts on here you can almost see what they mean...

PS the last British Serviceman to die in Ireland was in 1919, those who died in the troubles were on British soil and so the Republic of Ireland as a nation (and the majority of people who live within) can't be blamed for the lives of those soldiers. In fact, if you wanted to blame another nation for their deaths, start with the USA who's people donated millions of dollars to the IRA and who's government refused to recognise them as a terrorist organisation until 1996

In fact, if you wanted to blame another nation for their deaths, start with the USA who's people donated millions of dollars to the IRA and who's government refused to recognise them as a terrorist organisation until 1996

...and whose Fenian groups discovered that terrorism was not the noble, romantic cause they imagined, in September of 2001. Funding started to dry up thereafter.

Not much time for um to be honest, not helped when you see Irish players like Anthony Stokes Tweeting about his love for a PIRA band just the other day.

as for the England thing it used to be due to envy, bit like domestic footie (Man U, Chelsea, Man City), now i think most Scots and the other nations just hate the big headedness. You lose a game and your terrible, you win one and you think you can win everything. Come on we all know you'll struggle to get out the groups in the euro's and if you do you'll soon go out, there will be player unrest and the redtops will come up with some shocking scandal just before the championship.

but at least your there and i aint bitter.......honest.

I'm no Ireland fan, but it's a great result for them. Also it makes me smile to think of the knuckle-dragging idiots on this thread having yet another attack of rage over something-or-other. You boys makes I laugh :laughcont::laughcont:

you have clearly never been to Ireland and experienced the fantastic and wonderful hospitality. Next summer, get in the car and drive around Ireland staying in local B&B's/guest houses - wonderful country with wonderful people. You will see for yourself they dont hate us when they cant do enough for you.

I think you guys are doing me a dis-service here. I am not a knuckle-dragging idiot. And for Portishead Red's information, I am very well travelled and in fact found out a few years ago that my mother (who was adopted) traced her parentage to Ireland (which actually makes me half Irish! However, I still consider myself an Englishman).

I have absolutely no personal agenda against any Irish folk as individuals, but the point I was trying to make was in a sporting context (this is a football forum, right?). The Irish absolutely hate the English when it comes to the sporting arena - they do not support our national team in any way, shape or form. The same goes for most Scots & Welsh. They do not want us to do well and as another poster referenced, always support our opponent. I am always therefore quite baffled as to why Englishmen manage to put their support into Ireland, Scotland and Wales whenever they play. You simply do not get that reciprocated by the other nations.

Therefore, my point stands. I want England to do well, and I couldn't give a monkeys what Ireland, Scotland & Wales do (just as much as I couldn't care how Estonia or Guatamala do!) . I think some people find themselves pinning their colours to their mast simply because a number of their players play in the English leagues and presumably they can also associate themselves with them more because they speak English? Well I'm afraid that doesn't really cut it with me. Just as many French players have been through the premier league in recent years as Irish, so why don't we find ourselves supporting the French? Some of the best players in England right now are Spaniards. Do we associate ourselves with them and decide to support Spain instead? No. For me, I support England and everyone else is a potential opponent and therefore doesn't get one ounce of my support.

I'd appreciate not being called a knuckle-dragger just because I decide not to support another nation, and for pointing out the fact that these other nations would never put their weight behind us.

I was on holiday in the west of Ireland during the 2002 World Cup - the McCarthy/Keane bust up one.

We encountered nothing but dirty looks for my young son's England shirt and very strong support for England's opposition when matches were on.

Unless people have Irish family history it's hard to imagine why they would wish Ireland well last night - as others have said the good wishes couldn't be less reciprocated.

As usual their opponents have picked Englishmen and players stolen from Scotland (but for this one none from Northern Ireland) in their "Ireland" line up.........

Oh and before anyone mentions that Henry goal, they've also had some very curious sendings off and penalties go in their favour since that.........

Such utter rubbish -

Given born in Donegal

Kelly born in Dublin

Dunne born in Dublin

Ward born in Dublin

Whelan born in Dublin

Andrews born in Dublin

Duff born in Dublin

Keane born in Dublin

Hunt born in Laois

Fahey born in Dublin

Long born in Tipperary

Doyle born in Wexford

Coleman born in Donegal

Sheridan born in Cavan

Only Walters, St. Ledger and McGeady qualify through Irish parents - and what exactly is wrong with that???disapointed2se.gif

Anyway a four nil win makes your nonsense that little bit easier to swallow.winner_third_h4h.gifclapping.gif

The Republic of Ireland is an Independant Country and from 1971 to 1997 a total of 763 British Military personnel were killed (murdered) during the troubles in Ireland.

I would like to see the figure for the number of Irish who were killed in the same period. I'm not trying to get in an argument but I think there is two sides to your argument.

A very good won for the Irish. As an Irishman myself I am particularly dissapointed by some of the comments made. I will be going to watch the England game this afternoon and although I think that Spain will win because they are a better side I will still be supporting England.

WELL DONE IRELAND EURO 2012's HERE WE COME!!!!!

SLAINTE!!!!

I think you guys are doing me a dis-service here. I am not a knuckle-dragging idiot. And for Portishead Red's information, I am very well travelled and in fact found out a few years ago that my mother (who was adopted) traced her parentage to Ireland (which actually makes me half Irish! However, I still consider myself an Englishman).

This is obviously none of my business but are you saying that your mother was unaware of the fact that both her parents came from Ireland?

The Val Doonican records, the twinkle in the eye, wearing shamrock on March 17th. Surely something must have given it away?

Edit (an hour later when the penny dropped): Sorry. Didn't read the bit about your mother being adopted.

Must have been strange for you waking up one morning and realising you're half-Irish. Stay clear of Val though.

This is obviously none of my business but are you saying that your mother was unaware of the fact that both her parents came from Ireland?

The Val Doonican records, the twinkle in the eye, wearing shamrock on March 17th. Surely something must have given it away?

Daniel O' Donnell and Noel Henry in our house ... borders on child abuse...

Not going to intervene in the debate. We got enough problem with the Danes who simply can't get into their heads that they are nothing but a doormat. Well beaten over the years don't help much..:violin:

Didn't the Danes reached the European Championship Finals in 1992? When did Sweden last reach a major final?! Just saying like....

This.

Ireland is not part of the UK, so the comment is correct.

And no true Irishman has EVER supported England, so I couldn't give **** how they do.

Some people need to know the truth - they f-kin hate us!

Spot on harry, they hate us, like Wales and Scotland the hatred is both hereditary and drilled in to them by their parents (not all of them, but most).

I used to be English 1st, British 2nd now just English - stuff the lot of 'em!

I have absolutely no personal agenda against any Irish folk as individuals, but the point I was trying to make was in a sporting context (this is a football forum, right?). The Irish absolutely hate the English when it comes to the sporting arena - they do not support our national team in any way, shape or form. The same goes for most Scots & Welsh. They do not want us to do well and as another poster referenced, always support our opponent. I am always therefore quite baffled as to why Englishmen manage to put their support into Ireland, Scotland and Wales whenever they play. You simply do not get that reciprocated by the other nations.

Therefore, my point stands. I want England to do well, and I couldn't give a monkeys what Ireland, Scotland & Wales do (just as much as I couldn't care how Estonia or Guatamala do!) . I think some people find themselves pinning their colours to their mast simply because a number of their players play in the English leagues and presumably they can also associate themselves with them more because they speak English? Well I'm afraid that doesn't really cut it with me. Just as many French players have been through the premier league in recent years as Irish, so why don't we find ourselves supporting the French? Some of the best players in England right now are Spaniards. Do we associate ourselves with them and decide to support Spain instead? No. For me, I support England and everyone else is a potential opponent and therefore doesn't get one ounce of my support.

I'd appreciate not being called a knuckle-dragger just because I decide not to support another nation, and for pointing out the fact that these other nations would never put their weight behind us.

An eloquent reposte, if nothing else. I think you'll find that your 2 previous post aren't as considered as the final one. The OP has managed to stir up what can be termed as "debate". By his (or her) calculation we have all been guilty of rising to the bait.

The OP is clearly the bloke on your mates stag-weekend who volunteers to streak, or the cousin at a family reunion who no-one but his mum talks to, or the ginger bloke in the pub with a Kindle with a flat battery. I'm no Derren Brown, but I bet I can predict your next move............ :laughcont:

As usual their opponents have picked Englishmen and players stolen from Scotland (but for this one none from Northern Ireland) in their "Ireland" line up.........

Oh and before anyone mentions that Henry goal, they've also had some very curious sendings off and penalties go in their favour since that.........

I may well be wrong but don't Germany employ the same tactics? Portugal definitely have done as well as France. England would probably do the same thing if there were better players eligible to play for us.

Give Northern Ireland a break, they're not a very good team and they employ players would, otherwise, have never had the chance to play at international level. Its a weird thing to pick to moan about, guess international breaks do take their toll :laughcont:

I have lived in Ireland for over 12 years now and have seen and heard all of the general abuse that you will get as being English and an England fan. I support Ireland when they play but if it came to and England v Ireland game it would be England all the way. I sat in Croke Park when Ireland demolished England at the Rugby a couple of years ago...

Ireland always want to beat England and they also always want England to get beaten but you have to understand why.

1) The history between our two nations (this could fill an entire debate itself). Both countries suffered hugely over the years and the amount of information that gets/got suppressed in the UK is unreal.

2) The English press, it is not until you move away from the UK/England that you realise how tub-thumping, pompous and ridiculous it really is. Every tournament that we go in for you see the stupid comments coming out.

Many Irish Fans support English teams and many of them will have a sneaky bet on the English for each major tournament.

I did suffer some particular abuse when England got knocked out by France in one the tournaments and ended up on the radio (RTE, equivalent of the BBC) talking about my experience (my wife's fault as she rang the radio station complaining about Irish fans and she is Irish). We had this exact discussion on the radio and no-one could really come up with a reason for why Ireland always want England to lose other than the history between us and the UK Press. It also ended up being a piece in the Irish Independant and the thing went on and on for ages...

Anyhow for Ireland it is a marvelous result and I just know that we are going to end up in the same group....

I have lived in Ireland for over 12 years now and have seen and heard all of the general abuse that you will get as being English and an England fan. I support Ireland when they play but if it came to and England v Ireland game it would be England all the way. I sat in Croke Park when Ireland demolished England at the Rugby a couple of years ago...

Ireland always want to beat England and they also always want England to get beaten but you have to understand why.

1) The history between our two nations (this could fill an entire debate itself). Both countries suffered hugely over the years and the amount of information that gets/got suppressed in the UK is unreal.

2) The English press, it is not until you move away from the UK/England that you realise how tub-thumping, pompous and ridiculous it really is. Every tournament that we go in for you see the stupid comments coming out.

Many Irish Fans support English teams and many of them will have a sneaky bet on the English for each major tournament.

I did suffer some particular abuse when England got knocked out by France in one the tournaments and ended up on the radio (RTE, equivalent of the BBC) talking about my experience (my wife's fault as she rang the radio station complaining about Irish fans and she is Irish). We had this exact discussion on the radio and no-one could really come up with a reason for why Ireland always want England to lose other than the history between us and the UK Press. It also ended up being a piece in the Irish Independant and the thing went on and on for ages...

Anyhow for Ireland it is a marvelous result and I just know that we are going to end up in the same group....

Both are bloody good reasons though aren't they?

Compare what England has done to Ireland over the years with, say, what Argentina has done to England... We love those Argies don't we?

For what it's worth, as someone who's spent a lot of time in Ireland, I've only ever been on the receiving end of banter. I know dozens of Irish people who support England after Ireland have gone out, even a couple who follow the English cricket team all over the place.

Sweeping generalisations and all that.

Archived