IGNORED

At Long ******* Last...

spudski

I remember after the Brum defeat McInnescame out afterwards and said that City had "played into their hands" by that he meant lumping the ball up to Maynard when he was marked by two towering centre halves. He has since brought fresh idea's and instilled into the players his style of play and done it remarkedly quickly and the players are obviously enjoying the way he wants them to play.

Millen ran out of idea's and got into the mindset of not seeing the woods for the trees and its taken a fresh, unbiased eyes to make the changes.

The great Arrigo Sacchi is eloquent on how the game should be played:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/22/arrigo-sacchi-milan-italy

The question for me is what did Millen's much vaunted qualifications achieve when he couldn't see what Del saw straight away? i can only assume he thought he was being clever.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/22/arrigo-sacchi-milan-italy

The question for me is what did Millen's much vaunted qualifications achieve when he couldn't see what Del saw straight away? i can only assume he thought he was being clever.

Great link...thanks for posting that.

Became too entrenched in his approach and attitudes I reckon, and for whatever reason didn't have faith in certain players like Cisse and Bolasie. Because of that things remained unchanged for far too long.

That said, how many of us thought that the current squad of players was capable of playing the possession football we saw at the Den?

I didn't doubt that the squad was capable, there were moments at the beginning of the season that illustrated that, but possibly not to the standard on Sunday. Millen's negative attitude, concentrating on the first goal and stating that we needed new players wouldn't have helped.

http://www.guardian....chi-milan-italy

As I said to a mate the other week the qualification is only as good as the sylabus that the student takes. We all know the content of the exams is set by the alfiliated Association i.e. in Millen's case the FA. Not a great and endless record of producing quality managers us English. And consider that the asssitant was the assitant at U21 level for the nation team you really do wonder.

I really hope that much over used word of passion is put to bed in many peoples eyes becuase its been an excuse for technicall inepitiude for far to long. We can see that City work hard and are motivated off the ball as they are on it, but its method and tactics that bring it all in to play.

Thats why managers take the plaudits and the criticsim, the best ones motivate and impliment their ideas the poor ones...well you know the rest.

Became too entrenched in his approach and attitudes I reckon, and for whatever reason didn't have faith in certain players like Cisse and Bolasie. Because of that things remained unchanged for far too long.

That said, how many of us thought that the current squad of players was capable of playing the possession football we saw at the Den?

He had players capable of playing like we did at Millwall he ran out of ideas, he saved us twice when we were in the shit and the football we played then we didn't care it was survival football, when he had a clean slate he failed.

I've been saying this for months. NM seems to agree and apparantly the rest of the team do. Don't think they were too keen on KM's tactics reading between the lines.

'Keep the friggin ball...possession...possession. :clapping:

http://www.bcfc.co.u...2524418,00.html

That's not really fair on him. Like many managers over the years he ran out of idea's and paid the price.

It was so obvious, its worrying that a person that was a coach, could'nt see the basic errors and not correct em.

I dont think millen ran out of ideas - just that he did'nt have any idea from the beginning. He did well initially, by simply putting players in correct position - and I believe did well because he had good players.

But we had problems and those problems only ever got worse...

I was saying this all the way through!

A comment we have heard on here over and over again from people with previous managers is: "he hasn't got his team yet" or "wait until he is able to shift out the players the previous manager brought in and get his own people in". That kind of sentiment was used by many people to justify Keith Millen's poor results (even though he had brought in most of the players himself!)

Now we are seeing that a really good manager works with the players he has got. With the exception of bringing in one more left-sided player to give the squad some balance (and I would argue that player is not particularly exceptional and is not quite up to the pace of Championship football yet after a long time in the doldrums) McInnes is working with the squad he has. He is motivating them and we are seeing the response and benefitting from the results. Imagine, then, how good it will be when he has the chance to shift out players that need to move on and bring in players that will play to his favoured system.

We have a gem in McInnes...never mind about whether we keep Maynard or not...our toughest fight in the next few years will be keeping Derek McInnes long enough to ensure he brings back the top flight football we all crave.

What pisses me off the most is the amount of time we have wasted going backwards under KM.

Del boy is doing a good job so far, bringing us back on track.

A lot of damage has been done to this Club over the past couple of seasons.

It seems the players are a lot happier. The fans are happier...regardless of results, we are playing good football.

Why would you let your Club get to this point in the first place though?

What pisses me off the most is the amount of time we have wasted going backwards under KM.

It seems the players are a lot happier. The fans are happier...regardless of results, we are playing good football.

I agree with you, lets be honest, we all knew that with keef at helm we were never going to progress. But I feel the damage has already been done and still could cost us as we are not out of the mire yet, and if we do recover fully and stay up, then we have to build on another 2-3 seasons to really push on, whereas if we got rid of KM sooner, we would already be in the process of achieving that. But it looks as though, the good times are back at the gate and long may it continue!

I think the answer is why Ex Chairman is now called the Major Shareholder....he became to close to two of the last three managers and made decsions IMO that were not necessarily financialy sound or measured gambles. He more or less made this admission when taking one step back out of the lime light. Its old ground but a lot of damage was done, both on the playing side and the ineviatable knock on effect on the financial side. I cannot understate how important Steve's and his fellow shareholders continued patronage of the club is but you can soon flush lots of loot down the bog if you don't have the right man in charge of the playing side.

I must say how chuffed I am that McInnes has shown in actions what pages of text on this forum just couldn't. And to think we may never know how close we were to making an alternative managerial appointment and for a club that has had a bad habit of shooting itself in the foot in the past, thankfully to date there is almost unervisal approval of the new direction the club is taking.

That's not really fair on him. Like many managers over the years he ran out of idea's and paid the price.

to be fair Robbo, as ive said on here many a time...he ran out of ideas the same time as Johnson. Was a daft appointment, one we should never have made. Fingers crossed it wont come back to bite us this season :englandsmile4wf:

plenty of people said it. Many posters have said on here we have the squad here to be mid table....we SHOULD be mid table. Unfortunately we had a terrible manager, who as you say, became to entrenched in his approach and attitudes, just like the previous, manager did.....the very manager Keef learnt his trade under.

Cisse is a cracking player at this level and the fact he was left out in the cold as long as he was is a disgrace in itself

I think the answer is why Ex Chairman is now called the Major Shareholder....he became to close to two of the last three managers and made decsions IMO that were not necessarily financialy sound or measured gambles. He more or less made this admission when taking one step back out of the lime light. Its old ground but a lot of damage was done, both on the playing side and the ineviatable knock on effect on the financial side. I cannot understate how important Steve's and his fellow shareholders continued patronage of the club is but you can soon flush lots of loot down the bog if you don't have the right man in charge of the playing side.

I must say how chuffed I am that McInnes has shown in actions what pages of text on this forum just couldn't. And to think we may never know how close we were to making an alternative managerial appointment and for a club that has had a bad habit of shooting itself in the foot in the past, thankfully to date there is almost unervisal approval of the new direction the club is taking.

I'm glad you said it... I've been told off too many times on this forum for having a dig at our ex Chairman for his footballing decisions.

Anyway...lets not dwell on that. Onwards and upwards hopefully.

I'm glad you said it... I've been told off too many times on this forum for having a dig at our ex Chairman for his footballing decisions.

Anyway...lets not dwell on that. Onwards and upwards hopefully.

Exactly there is only so much dirty washing worth hanging out....we really have got to get behind McInnes now. As his actions are speaking louder than our words.

What spudski said earlier is quite right, playing as a team. I don't follow the Premier League much but didn't Chelsea and Man City in the past few years try to "buy" the title. They bought superb players but still did not have a team. Our performance at the Den was by far the best for some time in footballing terms using the same players that sent us to sleep a few weeks ago!!.

plenty of people said it. Many posters have said on here we have the squad here to be mid table....we SHOULD be mid table. Unfortunately we had a terrible manager, who as you say, became to entrenched in his approach and attitudes, just like the previous, manager did.....the very manager Keef learnt his trade under.

Cisse is a cracking player at this level and the fact he was left out in the cold as long as he was is a disgrace in itself

I said all along under Millen that City had enough to reach mid table but its taken a new set of idea's and a different perspective on certain players to reach potential. That said, I certainly wouldn't of expected to see such slick passing and possession style of football from the current bunch of players, Kilkenny excepted. McInnes has done a terrific job on them in a short space of time and number of games..

There was a posting on the Millwall forum after the match, much of what was said was full of four letter expletives, but I think they were discussing the pros and cons of replacing your manager at the right time, they were considering whether or not Jackett has outlived his usefullness.

One of them said "if McInnis can get Bristol playing like Barcelona overnight why can't it happen for us" - praise indeed.

I don't think Millen ran out of ideas as such, he was just a dull communicator. As nice as Keith is, when you hear him speak his voice lacks passion and emotion, it's difficult to feel positive about your game when the man speaking has a dull monotone and it sounds very robotic.

Agreed - Del appears to be able to communicate what he wants and get the players to understand and stick to what is instructed. But I think it's more than that. Del appears to see the obvious what the fans have seen for quite some time, e.g. we need to support Maynard otherwise he's going to be isolated and ineffective and the fact that hoofball concedes possession which puts you under more pressure etc. KM just couldn't seem to see these basics.

When all is said and done, I think it comes down to McInnes is a quality manager who seems to have good man management, motivational and organisational skills with tactical nous whereas KM was rather lacking in the aforesaid. Qualifications can only take you so far - you need the personal qualities to make the most of that knowledge which is what makes the difference between the good, and the not so good, managers.

As has been said before, I think we have a gem in McInnes. Let's savour what he does for City while he remains our manager (which I hope will be for some time to come) and I have absolutely no doubt that we will have better times ahead under his leadership.

ran out of ideas... give me a break. What were the big ideas in the first place?

Not a hater of Keith by any means, but those who kept backing him as the man to actually take the club forward again were kidding themselves all along

Archived