IGNORED

Centre Half

GrahamC

In the champ/prem, for a defender you need to have more to your game than just kicking out to row z. You need to be able to pass, control and have great awareness, plus pace. He doesn't have any of that! like a said before, he is a average league 1 defender at best.

Didn't do Terry and Skrtel any harm

Its my opinion! doesn't mean for all of you to get your knickers in a twist.

You are the one getting his knickers in a twist. I accept your opinion that's fine, luckily it's the opinion of Del and Doc that count the most and I think as they have already displayed that they might actually know what they are doing. Especially compared to dumb and dumber.

You are the one getting his knickers in a twist. I accept your opinion that's fine, luckily it's the opinion of Del and Doc that count the most and I think as they have already displayed that they might actually know what they are doing.

Yes they do, bringing in a new centre half.

You are wrong.

For you and Jordan to accuse him of being 'wrong' is ridiculous. For the record I agree with yours and Jordan's points, but Lew-T is entitled to an opinion, and you're intitled to disagree, but he's not 'wrong'. There is something that scares me about Nyatanga though, he's played well, but there's still question marks. I hope we keep him and like you say, that is coached out of him.

Its a hard one, I have never rated tangs, even when he was at derby! Just isn't a footballer.

That's incredibly harsh, his distribution isn't quite up there with Messi but he's a rock solid defender for the most part and has served us very well this season. When you compare him with the player we signed in 2009, he's come on strides.

He's stated that Lewin is a league 1 defender at best. He is much better than that which is why he is wrong.

He is also wrong when he says that Lewin has no pace or ability to pass the ball, he has shown both skills (only occasionally) this season. I think it's a mentality thing with Lewin, as he has enough ability to do things te right way but when he feels danger or has had to soak up some sustained pressure he likes to put distance between himself and the ball. Got no problem with that, it's just a shame he gets sucked into doing it when he isn't under any pressure.

It could also be that he was under instructions to play direct. Maynard has already stated that the instructions are different.

I respect his opinion, and you should respect mine that he is totally wrong.

I've stated that, yes, but this is my opinion. You rate him, fair enough but I don't.

He's stated that Lewin is a league 1 defender at best. He is much better than that which is why he is wrong.

He is also wrong when he says that Lewin has no pace or ability to pass the ball, he has shown both skills (only occasionally) this season. I think it's a mentality thing with Lewin, as he has enough ability to do things te right way but when he feels danger or has had to soak up some sustained pressure he likes to put distance between himself and the ball. Got no problem with that, it's just a shame he gets sucked into doing it when he isn't under any pressure.

It could also be that he was under instructions to play direct. Maynard has already stated that the instructions are different.

I respect his opinion, and you should respect mine that he is totally wrong.

I do respect your opinion, and I agree with it.

I assume you heard the on pitch interview with Maynard on Sunday, I think he basically had a little pop at the previous regime and yeah, implied that long balls were encouraged. Seems so moronic, Maynard isn't a target man, Stead maybe, but Keith never played him really this season, so why would he want to play long balls? Bizarre.

Good grief.

Point being you're in the absolute minority in think Lewin has been anything but decent this season which should show you that you've made a mistake.

How often are the audience wrong on who wants to be a millionaire?

not necessarily!

though he is wrong :laughcont:

Good grief.

Point being you're in the absolute minority in think Lewin has been anything but decent this season which should show you that you've made a mistake.

What I am getting at is, that you should respect other people's opinion, no matter how wrong you think they are.

Bradley Orr was worse than Nyatanga at what youve just pointed out, yet he now plays his trade in the prem? if you have a great defender who can do all of the above aswell then hes only going to be playing in 1 league and thats not the Championship with us, its the prem with a top half side! you need to get real.

Brad was great for us, passionate, could pass, could control, get foward, can defend. A good all round full back, nyatanga for me, doesn't have most of that.

Good grief.

I hope you're not suggesting being part of a minority group is a mistake!

Everyone said Ringo was a crap drummer, but I thought he was pretty good!

Nyatanga and Fontaine's form in the last four games has been a key reason in our upturn in form. Surely everybody can see that?!

Nyatanga was absolutely brilliant at Oakwell and Upton Park, didn't put a foot wrong against Burnley and in my opinion was decent again on Sunday. He was also superb at Leicester and although it isn't exactly something to be proud of I would say he was the best player in the opening ten games of the season. I've seen someone on this forum suggest that he doesn't have 'great awareness' which is ridiculous. You watch how many interceptions he makes in a game and how many times a ball gets played over the top that he beats the opposition forward to, he also offers great cover for McGivern who's positioning is occasionally poor. He is a great reader of the game! He is also fairly quick and although not tall for a centre half he wins more than his fair share in the air. Anyone who saw him against Cole for the last twenty five minutes at West Ham saw that!

He does have his weaknesses as others have said. But I genuinely believe that as long he recieves the correct coaching and gets more confident with the ball at his feet he could become as composed on the ball as someone like Carey. He has a good first touch and when somebody in the midfield gives him an option he can play the ball out from the back. For the first time in years we do have a midfield at the moment who enjoys having posession of the ball and this will help Nyatanga eradicate the hopeless punt from his game! He does suffer from a lapse in concentration from time to time and what makes it more annoying is that he can be having the most assured game, not breaking a sweat then out of nowhere he will do something crazy. But he is still young, although I know many people choose to ignore this due to how many games he has played, and will continue to improve. I genuinely believe that with the right coaching he could become a leading centre half at this level.

What I would say is that our squad does need a real commanding centre half as I feel that both Fontaine and Nyatanga are at their most comfortable as second ball centre halves playing alongside a big lump. A Shaun Taylor, a McCombe for this level, the player Stewart was at QPR by all accounts...

I think it is quite obvious that 'GrahamC' who started this bloody thread will be delighted with the utter shite that has become of it. I notice that he has made no comment since the thread started so it is fairly obvious that it is all completely untrue. Change the title of this thread to 'Nyatanga is not the best CB in the world suprise, suprise' and put an end to all this nonsense.

The trouble is, when we were finishing in the top10 every season, the fans were asking more of the players so it was harder for them to impress us. But now it seems as though the fans have accepted where we are and are happy with pretty much anything! Nyatanga would of got much more stick if he was playing in the play off season.

Archived