IGNORED

Safe Standing

Red Ferret

It's all a load of balls anyway.

I remember standing on perfectly safe "old style" terracing without any issues or concerns about safety.

Thing is, those who think they know best preach to us about whats right and wrong for us to do in a football stadium, and yet 5minutes outside a ground all their rules and regulations are broken left, right and centre by people going about their business in the REAL World.

For some reason, if you're in a football stadium, you've got to adhere to rules that apply anywhere else in society. Utter load of cobblers.

A standing area with a reduced price is likely to displace fans from seated areas paying more leading to a loss of revenue.

Why would that interest City?

I wouldn't have thought so; some people may move from seats to standing areas, but then the lower prices will attract more fans. If the terraced area becomes full then it is likely that those fans who were previously happy to pay to sit will do so again and so you end up with more people in the stands. German clubs seem to be far better run than the likes of ours and they manage to break even with cheaper, terraced areas

I wouldn't have thought so; some people may move from seats to standing areas, but then the lower prices will attract more fans. If the terraced area becomes full then it is likely that those fans who were previously happy to pay to sit will do so again and so you end up with more people in the stands. German clubs seem to be far better run than the likes of ours and they manage to break even with cheaper, terraced areas

I agree that fans are being priced out now.

Installation of rail seats = Added expenditure. Why bother! City can reduce prices without the need for costly rail seating if they wished.

Standing area with a reduced price is likely [we can disagree here] to displace fans from seated areas leading to a loss of revenue. Why bother!

The German club model [51% rule] does not apply to the UK and City. Fans there have more say so.

I can see the attraction to fans, but clubs and hard nosed businessmen?

I agree that fans are being priced out now.

Installation of rail seats = Added expenditure. Why bother! City can reduce prices without the need for costly rail seating if they wished.

Standing area with a reduced price is likely [we can disagree here] to displace fans from seated areas leading to a loss of revenue. Why bother!

The German club model [51% rule] does not apply to the UK and City. Fans there have more say so.

I can see the attraction to fans, but clubs and hard nosed businessmen?

I don't think there's be any point in a standing area at Ashton Gate, but when we move to the new stadium, there would be no added expense (infact would it be cheaper) to have a genuine terrace (still think the rail seats are a compromise not worth having) within part of stand. Think about it in numbers. Say you can fit 200 fans in a terrace area and the tickets are £5 cheaper than a seat- £25 vs £30. If 100 fans move from seats to terrace the clubs revenue drops by £500. You'd only need to add an additional 16 fans to cover costs and anything over that is extra revenue. Fair enough the numbers involved are likely to much higher but a new stadium means a blank canvas

This is all supposing that a change in the law could be enabled to allow genuine terraces back at English football which from what others have said seems very unlikely

• SC&T Board Members

What is Bristol Citys and SL's view on this subject?.

The responses from every club I have been to with the roadshow range from "Fantastic idea, I'd install a load tomorrow if I was allowed to" to "Interesting concept, I think it should be explored further". As you know, the clubs I have visited include our own.

BTW, for anyone who did not get a chance to see the roadshow unit either at the club open day or the fans' derby, it'll be making another appearance at the KC Stadium prior to City's game there on Feb 11th.

Sorry if mentioned elsewhere..

Derby County and Nigel Clough back safe standing

6th July 2012

Derby County manager Nigel Clough has backed the possible introduction of safe standing areas at Pride Park after the Rams received a visit from the Safe Standing Roadshow earlier this year. The news gives yet another boost to the FSF’s Safe Standing campaign following both Aston Villa and the Scottish Premier League’s support for safe standing areas.

“As a club that places great importance on customer care, we recognise that a not insignificant number of our fans prefer to watch football standing up, but we currently do not have the opportunity to satisfy this customer preference,” said Clough.

“However, having seen a demonstration of rail seats, we believe that the concept has merit and could provide us with a safe and well-managed means of doing so. We therefore request that the relevant authorities take a close look at the rail seat system with a view to defining appropriate criteria under which it could be introduced in future at grounds such as ours.”

Clough is the latest in a long line of significant figures to have backed safe standing. Back in November 2011 John Barrow of architects Populous said safe standing areas could be introduced “without any problems at all”.

Safe standing? No problem

“We as designers have no problem with standing at all. It would clearly need to be legislated for, managed, and safely stewarded, but in terms of safety it can be done without any problems at all in small areas,” said Barrow. Barrow played a key role in designing Wembley, designed stadiums for Euro 2004 as well as Soccer City in Johannesburg which hosted the 2010 World Cup final.

“It is great to have standing areas. They increase excitement in stadiums, particularly behind the goals. If the legislation is there to allow the top clubs to have standing areas again, it could help the clubs who are looking to expand capacity and allow more young people in,” said Barrow speaking at the International Football Arena conference.

In June 2011 Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis said he was “open” to the possibility of safe standing areas at the Emirates and acknowledged the positive impact it could have on atmosphere.

“It is something that I have always been open to,” said Gazidis. “The more I learn about it, the more complex an issue it is, but viscerally it is something that I find attractive because it gives fans, a certain group of fans who like to stand who create the atmosphere, another way to be in our stadium.”

In the same month Professor Steve Frosdick, founder member of the UK Football Safety Officers’ Association (FSOA) and noted expert in crowd safety, backed the FSF’s campaign at a specially arranged event in Liverpool. Current FSOA president Jim Chalmers has also said “there is no reason why safe standing cannot exist in our top two divisions if there is a will to allow this at government level”.

The German experience

In Germany standing areas are provided at many clubs. Each is sub-divided into smaller blocks with strict capacity limits. The combined effect across an entire stand creates the sensation of being in a larger standing area. This adds to the atmosphere immeasurably and ensures supporter safety.

Derby County fan Nick Webster last week visited the ground of German football club Hannover 96 to get a first-hand look at the sort of safe standing facilities that he hopes will one day be available at Pride Park. Nick was invited to Hannover to take part in a promotional film for ‘rail seats’ which allow clubs to accommodate safe standing areas which can be converted to all-seater for European matches or concerts.

Speaking to Derby County officials, Nick said: “The home end has 3,000 rail seats in it. When used for safe standing that provides room for 5,400 cheering fans. In the corner at the opposite end there are a further 1,000 rail seats for away fans, where 1,800 are accommodated when used for standing. I cannot stress enough how safe it is compared to standing behind normal seats. And it looked brilliant!”

http://www.fsf.org.uk/news/Derby-County-and-Nigel-Clough-back-safe-standing.php?id=

Another club in the championship now in favour.

Hull City have now joined Derby and Posh as Championship clubs openly in favour of safe standing.

George Hudson (effectively CEO of Hull City) said on BBC Radio Humberside pre-match:

"We have been in dialogue with the official supporters club for about a year ... in principle we support safe standing ... broad church of fans and should be a place for everybody ... until legislation changes we must comply with the current law ...more and more clubs coming out and, yeah, it would be nice to have an area for standing ... we want to cater for all of our fans"

Hull City to publicly back Safe Standing option at the KC Stadium

http://www.hullcityi...ws&news_id=1043

Quite sensational news! After years of supporter campaigning on safer standing at football grounds, Hull City Football Club will formally and publicly declare their support for the long standing movement, that is hoping to bring back the option to stand at football matches - and in particular - the KC Stadium.

Runners of the campaign have been the diligent and stirling efforts constructed by the Football Supporters Federation who have lobbied the powers that be in to seeing a return to safer standing facilities at football grounds. Indeed, the FSF brought their roadshow to the Circle in February this year and some sample rail seat technology terracing was available for Hull City fans to try before last season's home match with Bristol City.

Now, the club have decided to go public in support for the re-introduction of a safe standing option for fans at the Circle and a statement pledging such will appear on the official club website this coming Saturday. As ever, as soon as the statement appears from the club, CI will update this current story.

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Hull-City-want-standing-terrace-KC-Stadium/story-17148146-detail/story.html

All for safe standing. But dont really see the point in putting in masses of new rails. Why not just allow people to stand. The club allows the East End fans to stand, Theres loads of clubs that turn a blind eye to standing. Im sure when Ashton Vale gets built there will be a designated "singing stand" AKA.... standing area . Plus you get the convinience of having a seat at half time if wanted.

• SC&T Board Members

Have City publically backed this? The club is fairly lenient when it comes to standing inside AG so you'd guess they would be prepared to. Atmospheres are slowly dying in England, and this is just the sort of thing English football needs.

Not City, yet, no. Villa and Sunderland have in the Prem, plus Derby, Peterborough and now Hull in the Championship. Oh, and of course the whole of the SPL.

FYI, today's Hull City website

All for safe standing. But dont really see the point in putting in masses of new rails. Why not just allow people to stand. The club allows the East End fans to stand, Theres loads of clubs that turn a blind eye to standing. Im sure when Ashton Vale gets built there will be a designated "singing stand" AKA.... standing area . Plus you get the convinience of having a seat at half time if wanted.

Because standing in seated areas is more dangerous than standing on an old school terrace? I've almost fallen over the seat in front of me numerous times celebrating goals.

Not City, yet, no. Villa and Sunderland have in the Prem, plus Derby, Peterborough and now Hull in the Championship. Oh, and of course the whole of the SPL.

FYI, today's Hull City website

Sounds good..

I find it funny that it was a Bristol City fan that took this roadshow to Hull for their game against Bristol City and it's their club that

has come out in favour first!

How about it Bristol City??.

Sounds good..

I find it funny that it was a Bristol City fan that took this roadshow to Hull for their game against Bristol City and it's their club that

has come out in favour first!

How about it Bristol City??.

And now they have, fair play, another championship club showing support.

http://www.bcfc.co.u...ing-455737.aspx

Club offers support to the FSF.

Bristol City FC has given its support to the Football Supporters’ Federation’s Safe Standing Campaign.

The Football Supporters’ Federation (FSF) has been leading the Safe Standing Campaign since 2002, lodging petitions as well as speaking with MPs and clubs around the world.

Indeed City supporter and member of the Bristol City Supporters Club & Trust, Jon Darch, has led the Safe Standing Roadshow for the FSF – which visited Ashton Gate five times last season.

The Roadshow showcases the rail seat system already used in Germany, which the Safe Standing Campaign says should be allowed in England and Scotland.

Bristol City makes every effort to create the best support experience. Ultimately though, the safety of all supporters is paramount and the club adheres fully to the legislation and guidance regarding safety and standing at sports grounds.

The club is aware there are a number of supporters who would welcome the opportunity to safely stand at matches, and believes that consideration should be given to whether the rail seat system maintains the highest standards of supporter safety.

Since 1994, all clubs in the Premier League and Championship have been required to provide all-seated accommodation for all spectators.

However, last December, trials of rail seats were sanctioned north of the border in the Scottish Premier League, and Aston Villa expressed an interest to become the first top flight club in England to trial safe standing.

Now, Bristol Sport chairman Martin Griffiths told bcfc.co.uk: “A lot of hard work has gone into the Safe Standing Campaign and having seen the rail seat system, there could well be merit in the concept.

“Ultimately football clubs cannot do anything until the relevant authorities agree to allow Safe Standing into stadia.

“We will support the FSF’s efforts to encourage appropriate authorities to investigate the rail seat system with a view to defining criteria under which it could be introduced in future at grounds.”

He added: “At present there are no immediate plans to introduce Safe Standing into Ashton Gate or the new stadium project at Ashton Vale.

“But we offer our support to the FSF campaign to allow for the introduction of Safe Standing areas at football grounds in the future and would actively consider it should the relevant legislation be brought in.”

Email mp's http://fsfsafestandi...ot.com/mp/write

Another championship club shows support.

Crystal Palace back Safe Standing Campaign

30th October 2012

Crystal Palace are the latest club to back the Football Supporters’ Federation’s (FSF) Standing Campaign with co-chairman Steve Browett saying he “fully supports the introduction of a pilot scheme to test safe standing in our football stadiums.”

Speaking to local newspaper the Croydon Advertiser, Mr Browett added: “It would appear to me that rail seating could be a safer option, as it is already used successfully and safely in Germany.”

• Get involved and support the Safe Standing Campaign here.

Crystal Palace join a growing number of clubs in the top two divisions of English football to publicly back the Safe Standing Campaign. In recent months Aston Villa, Derby County, Hull City and Peterborough United have all said they back the FSF’s Safe Standing Campaign.

Palace fan and journalist Andrew Saunders shares the views of Mr Browett, telling the FSF: “Any right minded person must surely see that the rail seating model being proposed is the most logical step forward to deal with demand from football fans for standing areas.

“The recent Hillsborough report has dispelled, once and for all, the myth that standing was a contributory cause to the disaster, so surely there can be no better time than now for the authorities to therefore acknowledge the current all-seater requirement is unjustified, and that is has also been proved unenforceable throughout the country.

“There are games at Selhurst now where we have almost half the stadium standing for the entire 90 minutes, so why are we not catering for these people?”

Calls grow louder

The calls for safe standing are growing ever louder with the new campaign being launched by the Football Supporters’ Federation in conjunction with Roger Godsiff MP as well as pro-standing groups such as Stand Up Sit Down and the Safe Standing Roadshow.

Speaking to the Croydon Advertiser, the Safe Standing Roadshow’s Jon Darch said that the prospect of Palace fans being allowed to stand during matches was edging closer. “When I came to Selhurst Park last December, I was very pleased to find the club keen to explore the concept.”

“For the chairman to now follow that up with his comments this week is very good news indeed and adds to the support being expressed by other clubs. If all goes well, clubs like Crystal Palace may soon be able to offer their singing sections designated safe standing.”

The cornerstone of the activity is Early Day Motion (EDM) 573, submitted by Mr Godsiff, which acknowledges the “widespread support” for safe standing technology and recognises the success of safe standing areas throughout Europe, including in Germany’s Bundesliga.

The FSF would encourage all football supporters to get in touch with their local MPs, explaining the need to trial safe standing areas - the more MPs who sign EDM 573 the better. Take a few minutes of your time, make a difference, and back the FSF’s Safe Standing Campaign

http://fsfsafestandi...ot.com/mp/write

http://www.fsf.org.uk/news/Crystal-Palace-back-Safe-Standing-Campaign.php?id

Im not old enough to have experienced standing stands!!! From an un-experienced view seating seems better... so what does make standing better as thats what everyone who has experienced it seems to think?

Why does seating seem better? I havent experiened "standing stands" bar from the eastend / other games where i can stand, i hate sitting down for games.

Noone is asking for a standium full of standing, you can still sit in your seat and be happy, when others can stand and enjoy the game how they want.

I enjoy the eastend, as i can stand up with my friends, sing and stand and not feel like i am at the cinema etc. Everyone enjoys football in different ways.

Why does seating seem better? I havent experiened "standing stands" bar from the eastend / other games where i can stand, i hate sitting down for games.

Noone is asking for a standium full of standing, you can still sit in your seat and be happy, when others can stand and enjoy the game how they want.

I enjoy the eastend, as i can stand up with my friends, sing and stand and not feel like i am at the cinema etc. Everyone enjoys football in different ways.

Yeh, I wasn't saying people want all standing but I was just asking the benefits of standing.

Seating is more comfortable for a start and also means the height of people doesnt get in the way as much, as well as not feeling as chlaustrophoebic as u have ur own little space. I'm not claustrophoebic but my Mum is so that would be coming from her point of view.

Yeh, I wasn't saying people want all standing but I was just asking the benefits of standing.

Seating is more comfortable for a start and also means the height of people doesnt get in the way as much, as well as not feeling as chlaustrophoebic as u have ur own little space. I'm not claustrophoebic but my Mum is so that would be coming from her point of view.

You will still have a "seat" there will be no overfilling, so you would still have your own little space. Which is a good thing.

I do not personally think sitting is more comfortable, I'm 6ft 4 and find it uncomfortable with the leg room on offer at nearly all grounds.

Also, when sitting down, I feel less connected to the game, While standing I feel more "involved" with it.

Im not old enough to have experienced standing stands!!! From an un-experienced view seating seems better... so what does make standing better as thats what everyone who has experienced it seems to think?

It's not what is better...it's about the choice. People who stand in seated areas may block the view of people who do not wish do stand. IF there were a standing section, this would reduce any arguments or conflicts that may arise!

Archived