IGNORED

Safe Standing

Red Ferret

SSN

The Scottish Premier League will consider requests to pilot safe standing areas after widespread support among fans.

The SPL announced a relaxation of their rules on standing following a general meeting of all 12 clubs on Monday.

[url=http://topics.skysports.com/Neil+Doncaster/?section=football]Neil Doncaster chief executive of the SPL, said: "Since I joined the SPL in 2009, there has been widespread support amongst fans to reintroduce safe standing areas.

"I am delighted that we have been able to respond positively to supporters' views on improving the match day experience."

More in link

Could mean laws being relaxed in England in time for our new stadium if all goes well in Scotland

Massive news.

Not surprised they agreed to it knowing how much more open they are about these things, I can't help but feel that it wont make a difference South of the border.

Safe standing will happen in England.

Time's a healer and Hillsborough can't be as an emotive deterrent against safe standing for the next 20 years as it has been for the past 20.

The arguments against safe standing are so weak and as long as the demand and support for safe standing is maintained, common sense will eventually prevail. If we could get it at Ashton Vale then that's be great

Hopefully it can be implemented in Scotland and then the powers that be see it working closer to home and relax the rules in England too. Would love to see the home end of the new stadium as safe standing :fingerscrossed:

• SC&T Board Members

Hopefully it can be implemented in Scotland and then the powers that be see it working closer to home and relax the rules in England too. Would love to see the home end of the new stadium as safe standing :fingerscrossed:

Fingers crossed, indeed. The timing might work!

If the SPL start their trials in 2012/13, it will then depend on how quickly they are (hopefully) deemed a success, leaving the league authorities / politicians down here no longer able to claim safe standing at rail seats is unsafe or unmanageable.

There's still a long way to go, but today was a major step forward ... led by an Englishman who used to study and work in Bristol! Take a bow, Neil Doncaster!

Wouldn't it be nice to see another football administrator with Bristol connections take a similar approach to accommodating fans' wishes?! Over to you, Mr Scudamore!

Unfortunately the premier league just don't want to know. They reel off the safety argument while sticking a finger in each ear.

To me it just makes no sense to ignore the wishes of so many fans at a time we're seeing more and more empty seats in the top flight.

Problem is the top clubs only care about foriegn markets, not keeping the average domestic fan happy. We've seen this shamefull attitude creep into the football league too.

Don't forget when Lord Chief Justice Taylor was commissioned to make his report, whoever drew up his Terms of Reference charged him with making football grounds safer and bringing about the gentryfication of the game. In other words get rid of you & me and bring in Corporate Boxes and Hospitality Suites.

Why though only making football grounds safer,not all sports venues? You can stand with a beer in your hand to watch first class cricket and rugby (Union & League) games, but not football. Is it because they are "Establishment" sports? Meanwhile, a week today and those who make and/or enforce the laws of this land will be out hunting with hounds.

Finally when asked about safe standing at AG, didn't Steve Lansdowne state it will never be installed?

• SC&T Board Members

Unfortunately the premier league just don't want to know. They reel off the safety argument while sticking a finger in each ear.

To me it just makes no sense to ignore the wishes of so many fans at a time we're seeing more and more empty seats in the top flight.

Problem is the top clubs only care about foriegn markets, not keeping the average domestic fan happy. We've seen this shamefull attitude creep into the football league too.

Note it is the Premier League head office who 'don't want to know'. They do not necessarily reflect the views of the clubs.

BTW, if and when we win the argument, we won't be getting areas like the ones in the post above. What we may get is areas like this (only not in blue, of course!):

vario__4__cropped.jpg

Because even politicians find it hard to say that they would not be safe! And the Scots are clearly convinced they are.

You can stand with a beer in your hand to watch first class cricket and rugby (Union & League) games, but not football. Is it because they are "Establishment" sports? Meanwhile, a week today and those who make and/or enforce the laws of this land will be out hunting with hounds.

Although the beer thing is true, you get gestapo type stewards descend on you should you stand up in Lords or at the Oval.

Bad move in my opinion,total lack of respect for the people who have campaigned to make football safer.what will it take another disaster before the football authorities say ok put the seats back in,if something ant broke dont try to fix it....

All seater stadia was a good initiative for police ineptitude to hide behind, nothing more.

Safe standing is not less safe than the present norm of all seater stands with plastic chairs, in fact it is much safer particularly in situations where fans will stand/jump around anyway.

This is great news from Scotland and hopefully it will catch on down here in time to be considered.

I do wonder if the clubs will be keen on it given the cost of fitting but maybe the more fan friendly will see the atmosphere as a benefit.

Bad move in my opinion,total lack of respect for the people who have campaigned to make football safer.what will it take another disaster before the football authorities say ok put the seats back in,if something ant broke dont try to fix it....

Standing doesnt kill. Poorly managed, enclosed spaces do.

Safe standing isn't any more of an enclosed space than current arrangements.

Your post is idiotic and I genuinely cannot tell if you're being sincere or sarcastic?

Finally when asked about safe standing at AG, didn't Steve Lansdowne state it will never be installed?

He said something like he felt it had no place in a modern stadium.

Safe standing areas are a very different proposition to terraces.

The football supporters federation and others by backing safe standing areas are campaigning to make football safer and more enjoyable.

Fingers crossed, indeed. The timing might work!

If the SPL start their trials in 2012/13, it will then depend on how quickly they are (hopefully) deemed a success, leaving the league authorities / politicians down here no longer able to claim safe standing at rail seats is unsafe or unmanageable.

There's still a long way to go, but today was a major step forward ... led by an Englishman who used to study and work in Bristol! Take a bow, Neil Doncaster!

Wouldn't it be nice to see another football administrator with Bristol connections take a similar approach to accommodating fans' wishes?! Over to you, Mr Scudamore!

Note it is the Premier League head office who 'don't want to know'. They do not necessarily reflect the views of the clubs.

BTW, if and when we win the argument, we won't be getting areas like the ones in the post above. What we may get is areas like this (only not in blue, of course!):

vario__4__cropped.jpg

Because even politicians find it hard to say that they would not be safe! And the Scots are clearly convinced they are.

What grounds that pic taken from?

Lack of respect even though its proved to be safe? Good one there.

Hope your on the fish.

If your not, show me how there can be a disaster.

At work we've been shown film of the 1986 Bradford City fire. Yes it was a wooden stand which is why it burnt so easily and took just 3 minutes to get from one end to the other. Many of those burnt had trouble evacuating the stand due to the seats. Those stood on terracing at the ends were able to calmly walk away without tripping on seat legs.

I personally think its disrespectful to those who died and lost loved ones to blame terracing.... That's my opinion Craven Arms. Your opinion is quashed by facts... You need only look at the safe standing (clues in the name) roadshow to prove how safe they are.

Seating is dangerous, much more dangerous than safe standing.

• SC&T Board Members

This is a wind up?

Terraces are so dangerous in the lower leagues and in other sports they are still being built.

... and in brand new rugby league grounds, like this one for St Helens, which opens next month and has standing capacity of around 7,000 in an 18,000 capacity ground:

BJP_651534_0.jpg

Clearly St Helens council is being shockingly cavalier with public safety!

Archived