IGNORED

Safe Standing

Red Ferret

As a not very tall person, I prefer standing, because I find it easier to see, and can move about where there are people taller in front of me.

I also miss how you could move around on a terrace - if it was not rammed of course - and most of our away games were not (home as well for that matter)

If you spotted someone you had not seen for a few games then you could wander over and watch some of the game with them, have a smoke and a chat and then go back to the car load you came with......FREEDOM!

I'll put a new slant on the Standing issue. If the government is so worried about overcrowding and people standing very closely together in small spaces. Then why do they allow standing on the London Underground? Its certainly the most crowded place i've ever been in a London tube train in rush hour.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with safety, look how many injuries there has been due to standing in the east end etc.

They are just happy and glad at the "dumbing down" of our football game, I expect it is more to do with them being worried about football violence making a come back.

I swear they have said that before, maybe I have made that up though.

People wouldn't be standing that closed together, as you still have your "seat", so still have space.

Standing at football is a lot safer than standing up on a crowded tube or bus.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with safety, look how many injuries there has been due to standing in the east end etc.

They are just happy and glad at the "dumbing down" of our football game, I expect it is more to do with them being worried about football violence making a come back.

I swear they have said that before, maybe I have made that up though.

People wouldn't be standing that closed together, as you still have your "seat", so still have space.

Standing at football is a lot safer than standing up on a crowded tube or bus.

Your confusing dumbing down with gentrification

You will still have a "seat" there will be no overfilling, so you would still have your own little space. Which is a good thing.

I do not personally think sitting is more comfortable, I'm 6ft 4 and find it uncomfortable with the leg room on offer at nearly all grounds.

Also, when sitting down, I feel less connected to the game, While standing I feel more "involved" with it.

It's not what is better...it's about the choice. People who stand in seated areas may block the view of people who do not wish do stand. IF there were a standing section, this would reduce any arguments or conflicts that may arise!

Yeh true sitting and standing sections would work and I can understand ur point of no leg room being 6 ft 4! I don't have that problem seeing as Im 5 ft 8 but Im 16 yrs old so still time to grow!

I've almost fallen over the seat in front of me numerous times celebrating goals.

It is difficult to celebrate a goal sitting down, especially if everyone around you gets carried away with the excitement of an important goal

Just a thought, could City build safe standing areas anyway at *insert new stadium* without thought? that way, if it was brought in the seat could be locked in the upright position for games and if it wasn't, it could become a ground like with the UEFA rules where fans would sit in the safe standing areas.

Also, heaven forbid if we got relegated to league one, we are allowed a percentage of the capacity to be standing - I think - some seats could be locked in the upright position in this event.

Just do it Steve!

Burnley and Watford back Safe Standing Campaign

9th November 2012

Burnley and Watford are the latest clubs to back the Football Supporters’ Federation’s Safe Standing Campaign – a big well done to the Clarets and the Hornets. The two clubs follow hot on the heels of Aston Villa, Brentford, Bristol City, Crystal Palace, Derby County, Hull City, Peterborough United, AFC Wimbledon and the Scottish Premier League.

Burnley chief executive Lee Hoos said that rail seats had merit and could provide a suitable way to satisfy the demand for safe standing accommodation. Watford’s operations director Glyn Evans said that the club recognised that many supporters preferred to stand while watching football in a safe environment. Both backed the FSF’s call for pilots of safe standing areas at specific grounds.

Lee Hoos said: “As a club that listens closely to its fans, Burnley FC is aware from representations made by members of its Football Consultative Committee and from discussions the Clarets Trust that many supporters would like the club and the sport in general to take a closer look at the concept of safe standing.

“While we must emphasise that persistent standing in all-seater stadia such as Turf Moor is against ground regulations, we recognise that a not insignificant number of our fans prefer to watch football standing. Having studied the ‘rail seat’ concept, we believe that this has merit and may provide a suitable way to enable clubs such as ours to satisfy the demand for safe standing areas in the future.

“We therefore support the Football Supporters’ Federation in calling on the government to permit a few small-scale trials of such to determine, if successful, the criteria under which we maybe be able to introduce safe standing at Turf Moor at a future date.”

The FSF backs Roger Godsiff MP’s Early Day Motion (EDM) 573 which calls for the introduction of a pilot of new standing technology in football stadia. The EDM references widespread support from fans and notes that new technology and rigorous safety standards mean that standing areas can be safely introduced into the Premier League and Championship.

Watford’s Glyn Evans said: “Watford strives to enhance our supporters' matchday experience and we recognise that being able to stand whilst watching matches in a safe and controlled environment is something that some of our supporters wish to return to.

“Despite the best efforts of our stewarding operation it is impossible to get all supporters to sit down throughout a match and when a mass of supporters decide to stand there really is little that can be done with the result that everyone has to stand to get a view of the match whether they want to or not.

“We therefore happily lend our support to the Football Supporters Federation in calling for trials of safe standing systems and look forward to both the Government and the Football Authorities recognising and implementing the need for such trials.”

http://www.fsf.org.uk/news/Burnley-and-Watford-back-Safe-Standing-Campaign.php

Doncaster Rovers back Safe Standing Campaign

Every Friday for the past month we have been able to announce that at least one new club has announced its support for the FSF’s Safe Standing Campaign. We’re very pleased to say that this Friday is no different and the latest club to back the call for safe standing trials are Doncaster Rovers. Welcome aboard.

The Vikings join an ever-growing list which includes Aston Villa, Brentford, Bristol City, Burnley, Crystal Palace, Derby County, Hull City, Peterborough United, Watford, AFC Wimbledon and the Scottish Premier League.

Gavin Baldwin, chief executive of Doncaster Rovers, said: “During the 2006/07 season Doncaster Rovers moved into an all-seater stadium and since that time the club have implemented a no standing policy at home games. After continued dialogue with supporters through our fan engagement programme, In Rovers We Trust, it has become clear that a selection of supporters do wish to stand at matches.

“The club believe that the creation of a safe standing area at the ground would allow these supporters to stand in a safe, controlled environment and allow them to have a match day experience that suits their needs. The club believe the creation of a safe standing area would also be of benefit to other fans at the ground who do not wish to stand, but sometimes are compelled at games due to having their view restricted due to people in front of them who attempt to.

“We lend our support to the Football Supporters' Federation in their request for trials for safe standing systems.”

Safe standing? No problem

It’s not just fans and clubs who back safe standing – so do a long line of safety experts, architects and politicians. In November 2011 John Barrow of architects Populous said safe standing areas could be introduced “without any problems at all”.

“We as designers have no problem with standing at all. It would clearly need to be legislated for, managed, and safely stewarded, but in terms of safety it can be done without any problems at all in small areas,” said Barrow speaking at the International Football Arena conference.

“It is great to have standing areas. They increase excitement in stadiums, particularly behind the goals. If the legislation is there to allow the top clubs to have standing areas again, it could help the clubs who are looking to expand capacity and allow more young people in,”

Barrow played a key role in designing Wembley, designed stadiums for Euro 2004 as well as Soccer City in Johannesburg which hosted the 2010 World Cup final.

In June 2011 Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis said he was “open” to the possibility of safe standing areas at the Emirates and acknowledged the positive impact it could have on atmosphere.

“It is something that I have always been open to,” said Gazidis. “The more I learn about it, the more complex an issue it is, but viscerally it is something that I find attractive because it gives fans, a certain group of fans who like to stand who create the atmosphere, another way to be in our stadium.”

In the same month Professor Steve Frosdick, founder member of the UK Football Safety Officers’ Association (FSOA) and noted expert in crowd safety, backed the FSF’s campaign at a specially arranged event in Liverpool. Current FSOA president Jim Chalmers has also said “there is no reason why safe standing cannot exist in our top two divisions if there is a will to allow this at government level”.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/news/Doncaster-Rovers-back-FSF-Safe-Standing-Campaign.php

Cardiff City back safe standing

23rd November 2012

For the fifth Friday in a row we’re delighted to announce that another club has backed the Football Supporters’ Federation’s Safe Standing Campaign – welcome aboard Cardiff City. They join an ever-growing list which includes Aston Villa, Brentford, Bristol City, Burnley, Crystal Palace, Derby County, Doncaster Rovers, Hull City, Peterborough United, Watford, AFC Wimbledon and the Scottish Premier League.

While acknowledging that they are currently “duty bound to enforce a no persistent standing policy in all areas of the ground” in accordance with Football League ground regulations the club called for small-scale safe standing trials and said they “regret” the Government’s current opposition to safe standing.

In a statement released today the club said: “Cardiff City Football Club regrets the Government’s stance in refusing to further investigate the possibility of safe standing at football matches. We continue to believe that the debate on safety has not been evidenced by empirical data or reports in practice.

“As such, it is the Club’s opinion that any standing should be dynamically risk assessed in conjunction with the local authority with subsequent recommendations and control measures put in place to ensure reasonable safety. To that end the Club supports the call on the Government to permit a limited number of small-scale safe standing trials.”

Cardiff City are the 14th club in England and Wales to back the FSF’s Safe Standing Campaign and the club’s statement was welcomed by Tim Hartley, chair of the Cardiff City Supporters Trust Chair. The fans’ group had made clear its backing for safe standing trials.

Hartley said: “Cardiff City has a sensible approach when dealing with fans who stand at crucial times during games. Some of our members would like to stand throughout the match and others do not. So we are glad that Cardiff has responded positively to the Trust's request to back a pilot for safe standing in football. We believe that clubs ought to have the freedom to offer fans the choice to stand safely in appropriately designed areas and we look forward to seeing the Government carry this forward.”

• Below left - Rail seats in Klagenfurt (Germany).
  • Below right - Bob Symns (chief executive, Peterborough United - middle row, centre) and representatives of Peterborough City Council with Jon Darch (Safe Standing Roadshow) and Hannover 96 staff among rail seats in the AWD Arena (Germany).

safe-standing-hannover-klagenfurt.JPG

Safety expert: Case for safe standing is “irrefutable”

Safe standing is now backed by a huge array of individuals and institutions from across the football world. Safety is of course paramount and the campaign has the support of experts in this field including Professor Steve Frosdick, founder member of the UK Football Safety Officers’ Association (FSOA).

In June 2011 Frosdick spoke at a specially arranged FSF event in Liverpool and his view is clear. Frosdick said: “I think they've [the FSF] got an irrefutable case to allow clubs and fans the choice of having rail seating.

“I have spent the whole of my professional life working to make football grounds safer places for football fans to enjoy their sport, and I would never associate myself with anything that would be to the detriment of the safety and welfare of football supporters.”

Frosdick’s position is backed by current FSOA president Jim Chalmers who believes “there is no reason why safe standing cannot exist in our top two divisions if there is a will to allow this at government level”. Sunderland’s safety manager Paul Weir is also on record as saying he’d be happy to manage fans at the Stadium of Light in safe standing areas.

The FSF’s Safe Standing Campaign also has political support. The cornerstone of the activity is Early Day Motion (EDM) 573, submitted by Roger Godsiff MP, which acknowledges the “widespread support” for safe standing technology and recognises the success of safe standing areas throughout Europe, including in Germany’s Bundesliga.

The EDM “urges the Government to accept the case for introducing, on a trial basis, limited standing areas.” If accepted it means the introduction of safe standing would not require a complex and time-consuming change to primary legislation.

This is all great news but the FSF also needs action as words are not enough. MPs are elected to represent our views and match-going fans know that the case for safe standing is irrefutable. It’s popular, safe and gives fans a choice.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/news/Cardiff-City-back-Safe-Standing-Campaign.php?id=added%7cdesc%7c820%7c

Terraces don't kill people, coppers do!

Spot on. The complete ban on standing was one more way of deflecting blame for Hillsborough from the South Yorkshire Police. Their lies have been blown out of the water, so it's now time for a serious look at Safe Standing.

Archived