IGNORED

Mcinnes Appeals For Support

The Red Planet

Because some have an open mind...

In his position you would do the same. You are a player in his mid twenties who is playing for a club you have no real emotional ties to, you've been there 3 and a half years and the club has broken promises that it would progress, employed inexperienced managers and languished at the bottom of the table for almost the entirety of your stay.

Your career is at a crossroads and having seen 'decent' second tier pro's get a better move (Macauley, Jones, Beckford etc etc etc.) simply because they were available for nothing you realise that your best chance of playing at the highest level is to use the perfectly legal means of a Bosman transfer.

Not only will you now be playing at the highest level his ability could justify he also has a much better wage (No right minded human being would turn that down, if they say they would they are a liar).

Perhaps the fact Leicester were the only bidders in the summer made him realise he isn't as attractive to Premier League clubs as he should be. Two career threatening injuries and a high price tag because your current club need the money... For the sake of his own career its quite obvious that this is the best option to HIM.

Obviously I'm annoyed that it's my club that are losing out on the player, but that shouldn't cloud anyone's views on the subject. It's simple bloody logic.

And all this bollocks about keeping the club in the dark too, Do we really think that the club knew nothing at all? It's downright disrespectful to insinuate that Nicky was capable of duping the entire board and two managers. The club don't seem that pissed off at Nicky either do they? Perhaps they knew this would happen....

Do you not feel that Maynard could at least open his mouth and have the balls to speak to the fans and explain his reasons as to why he hasnt signed a contract??

He hasnt had the decency to come out and release any kind of statement, or at least try to have some sort of contact with the fans that have supported him and showed him loyalty over the last few years. People who have the attitudes "why should he? blah blah".....utter boll*cks. To right he should! People who say its just a "job" to him, yes...maybe so...but its not just any job. He isnt leaving one financial firm for another, or one solicitors for another. This job is completely different, and the astronomical wages football players earn prove its just not any job.

I personally do not begrudge him a move, I dont even care if he leaves on a free transfer in the summer any more......what annoys me he has shown absolutely zero consideration to the fans and what we think or how we feel about it.

I personally cant wait for him to leave now, the sooner he goes the better

I rate maynard. not that it matters.

Hang on a minute. When his big move happens - he'll get bloody loads.... if he goes on a free, he'll get a bit more than bloody loads.

If he's looking for that bit more - in this situation - that makes him a greedy **** in my eyes

But my point is Riaz that the cheaper he is to his new club the better the move is for Maynard. In other words if he's on a free then a team bigger than one of the promoted teams will take a punt, By not signing a contract he is making his options much better and much bigger.

I haven't got a problem with people not liking it, for god's sake you can resent him all you like. I do however have a problem with this blinkered view I'm supposed to have if I want to call myself a fan.

Do I think he's good enough for the Prem? Yes. Do I think many clubs would be willing to pay the asking price had Maynard signed a new contract as you advocate? No. Clubs are looking for value for money now more than ever... A free Nicky Maynard is a worthwhile punt, a hefty fee on Maynard is probably not justifiable.

I'm looking at the whole picture. Sure, City will lose out which is why WE'VE made him available for transfer now.

I still don't think it's about looking for more financially, I think he really wants to play for the best club his talents can get him to. Does anyone really think the peak of someone's aspirations should be BCFC?

Do you not feel that Maynard could at least open his mouth and have the balls to speak to the fans and explain his reasons as to why he hasnt signed a contract??

He hasnt had the decency to come out and release any kind of statement, or at least try to have some sort of contact with the fans that have supported him and showed him loyalty over the last few years. People who have the attitudes "why should he? blah blah".....utter boll*cks. To right he should! People who say its just a "job" to him, yes...maybe so...but its not just any job. He isnt leaving one financial firm for another, or one solicitors for another. This job is completely different, and the astronomical wages football players earn prove its just not any job.

I personally do not begrudge him a move, I dont even care if he leaves on a free transfer in the summer any more......what annoys me he has shown absolutely zero consideration to the fans and what we think or how we feel about it.

I personally cant wait for him to leave now, the sooner he goes the better

Whatever he came out and said he would be called greedy and a liar. He can't really win and it's very rare that when a player leaves a club for better things that it's amicable between player and fans...

But my point is Riaz that the cheaper he is to his new club the better the move is for Maynard. In other words if he's on a free then a team bigger than one of the promoted teams will take a punt, By not signing a contract he is making his options much better and much bigger.

I haven't got a problem with people not liking it, for god's sake you can resent him all you like. I do however have a problem with this blinkered view I'm supposed to have if I want to call myself a fan.

Do I think he's good enough for the Prem? Yes. Do I think many clubs would be willing to pay the asking price had Maynard signed a new contract as you advocate? No. Clubs are looking for value for money now more than ever... A free Nicky Maynard is a worthwhile punt, a hefty fee on Maynard is probably not justifiable.

I'm looking at the whole picture. Sure, City will lose out which is why WE'VE made him available for transfer now.

I still don't think it's about looking for more financially, I think he really wants to play for the best club his talents can get him to. Does anyone really think the peak of someone's aspirations should be BCFC?

Jordan...you're fighting a losing battle here mate. Some of our 'fans' don't understand contracts.

Any BCFC player reading this thread and others like it, must think our fans are a bunch of morons. They may want to play for the 'Club' and their fellow professionals...but why the hell would they want to play for the 'fans' or give a shit about them?

Some on here need to wake up and smell the coffee and see the bigger picture.

Any prospective new signing would think twice about coming here after reading this forum. :disapointed2se:

You are all missing the point here. He is a modern day footballer, a species that commonly leaves any values or shred of decency behind once it signs its first contract.

Why be suprised and why support him? The club will be here long after he or any other individual are long gone. All he has ever done is pick up his wages for a job he has done with varying degrees of success and been very well rewarded for.

I rate maynard. not that it matters.

Hang on a minute. When his big move happens - he'll get bloody loads.... if he goes on a free, he'll get a bit more than bloody loads.

If he's looking for that bit more - in this situation - that makes him a greedy **** in my eyes

I personally think this situation has gone on too long and maybe now it is about to be resolved. However this isn't McInness' fault. He needs us to win and get moving up the table as sooner or later it will be his head on the block. He trusts Maynard enough to play him. Although I'll admit I'd like to be looking forward, and setting up the team not necessarily so in favour of maynard, I am totally behind our manager. If he wants to play maynard as it is the best chance of getting points for BCFC then thats how it has to be.

I totally understand your frustrations with him not wanting to sign so the club can get something financially back. But the more I think about it maybe it's not just money, I think Maynard wants choice. OK money will always be a huge factor but when we signed him he was being chased by lots of clubs wasn't he? I can't imagine, even though we were desperate, that we offered the best package financially? It seems in the summer it was only Leicester bidding, maybe he thought there would be more and he could be choosy. It's always good for the ego to be wanted. If he doesn't sign then more clubs would be interested, maybe he likes the chase!

As for tonight, treat him as any other. If he plays well he gets applauded. If he doesn't then ignore. I think McInness might be wary of subbing him somehow. I'd rather him get the silent treatment than boos. Our manager has aslked us for support. I hope we can show that we believe in him and respect him by giving proper BCFC support. No player is Bristol City, we are a team.

They may want to play for the 'Club' and their fellow professionals...but why the hell would they want to play for the 'fans' or give a shit about them?

Any prospective new signing would think twice about coming here after reading this forum. :disapointed2se:

You're sitting on both sides of the fence there. If they don't give a to55 about the fans why would reading this forum put them off?

If the MONEY is right and prospects of Prem football look good, they'll sign.

The power of OTIB!

Whatever.

The Board, Lansdown and players read this forum to guage fans views.

Ok...you get an extreme view on here...but some of our 'fans' are complete idiots.

NM could still be here come the end of the season. Still playing for us...trying to get us out of a relegation battle.

How does giving him shit help the situation?

It seems some know better than the manager what's good for the Club :disapointed2se:

We have players in our team that have run down their contracts at other clubs... Kilkenny for one.

Some really don't understand contracts and how they work.

Just a pack mentality...let them jump around screaming aimlessly...idiots.

Jordan...you're fighting a losing battle here mate. Some of our 'fans' don't understand contracts.

Any BCFC player reading this thread and others like it, must think our fans are a bunch of morons. They may want to play for the 'Club' and their fellow professionals...but why the hell would they want to play for the 'fans' or give a shit about them?

Well this is a bit patronising!!

I understand contracts perfectly. But I am a Bristol City supporter. Bristol City will probabaly be the losers in this. Nicky Maynard will get his big move and we'll get **** all. Anything else, I could'nt care less about.

Funny how you defend a player that does not want to play for Bristol City - but you will, at every opportunity, have a dig at people that keep this club going, people who literally paid 2.25 million quid for maynard to sign for us..... people who keeps us alfloat....

I can see the bigger picture - and Bristol City is all I care about - and so should you!

Maynard doesnt want to sign a contract for bcfc on 25k a week to help city out thats the picture. Your pic is gerry gow mate. Bit of a difference to maynard.

You're sitting on both sides of the fence there. If they don't give a to55 about the fans why would reading this forum put them off?

If the MONEY is right and prospects of Prem football look good, they'll sign.

It's anything to criticise something to do with with BCFC , be it owner , chairman , players or fans. Old Spud doesn't miss an opportunity. :fastasleep:

Maynard doesnt want to sign a contract for bcfc on 25k a week to help city out thats the picture. Your pic is gerry gow mate. Bit of a difference to maynard.

Mate...why would NM want to help City out?

He's an employee. Not a fan.

Want's to better his career and play in the Prem. Young lad with talent and a young family.

What's wrong with wanting to better yourself?

Too many fans sound like they resent his situation and it's sour grapes.

In our jobs we would do the same...

As for Gow and his generation, things were slightly different. Many also don't realise many players back then were on very long contracts and very well paid. One of our forwards back then was on £500 a week...a huge amount back then.

playing devils advocate here but didn't we have to pay some of those people quite a lot of money to tear up their ludicrous 10 year contracts to keep the club afloat once?

They took a modest payoff (relative to their contract). They did that so they would get something and the club survived. If they hadn't they would have got nothing and the club gone forever.

Easy choice.

Mate...why would NM want to help City out?

He's an employee. Not a fan.

Want's to better his career and play in the Prem. Young lad with talent and a young family.

What's wrong with wanting to better yourself?

Too many fans sound like they resent his situation and it's sour grapes.

In our jobs we would do the same...

As for Gow and his generation, things were slightly different. Many also don't realise many players back then were on very long contracts and very well paid. One of our forwards back then was on £500 a week...a huge amount back then.

If i spent ten months out of my job on sick I would make sure I would give back as i respect my employers too much to do different. Charities nurses and the rest dont do the same.

With cheeseley gow ritchie there was no us and them.

The Board, Lansdown and players read this forum to guage fans views.

Then they're bleeding mad. Easy to spout crap from behind a keyboard. The internet and a JCB bucket sized amount of salt

Ok...you get an extreme view on here...but some of our 'fans' are complete idiots.

These " idiots " shouldn't slag Maynard but you can slag them for having a contrary point of view? Who's the idiot?

NM could still be here come the end of the season. Still playing for us...trying to get us out of a relegation battle.

Nailed on he'll be here until the end of the season, that's the way to maximise his revenue stream

How does giving him shit help the situation?

Free country, well sort of. That's whole different debate.

It seems some know better than the manager what's good for the Club :disapointed2se:

Opinions is all they are and opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one

We have players in our team that have run down their contracts at other clubs... Kilkenny for one.

I suspect that the timing of all this is the major issue for most

Some really don't understand contracts and how they work.

Patronising statement that really

Just a pack mentality...let them jump around screaming aimlessly...idiots.

There you go again. Different opinion to you therefore they are all idiots. Again, who's starting to look like an idiot?

playing devils advocate here but didn't we have to pay some of those people quite a lot of money to tear up their ludicrous 10 year contracts to keep the club afloat once?

It's called Rose Tinted glasses mate.

Yes I criticise...but it's positive critism...for the want of a better Club and better fan base. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

They took a modest payoff (relative to their contract). They did that so they would get something and the club survived. If they hadn't they would have got nothing and the club gone forever.

Easy choice.

But if they were as loyal as people are saying then shouldn't they have gone for nothing at all?

This statement isn't going to be popular at all, and I'm only saying it because the same logic is being applied to Maynard (A logic I don't agree with at all)

SOME MIGHT ARGUE THAT- Those players who tore up their contracts only did so to get as much money from a dying club as they could. They saw that they might get nothing and took what was on offer for their own gain, not the club.

SOME MIGHT ARGUE THAT- Maynard is doing precisely the same thing.

I for one don't believe that Maynard is financially motivated, likewise I don't think that the AG8 were not interested in what was best for the club... but you could make just as good a case for either.

But if they were as loyal as people are saying then shouldn't they have gone for nothing at all?

This statement isn't going to be popular at all, and I'm only saying it because the same logic is being applied to Maynard (A logic I don't agree with at all)

SOME MIGHT ARGUE THAT- Those players who tore up their contracts only did so to get as much money from a dying club as they could. They saw that they might get nothing and took what was on offer for their own gain, not the club.

SOME MIGHT ARGUE THAT- Maynard is doing precisely the same thing.

I for one don't believe that Maynard is financially motivated, likewise I don't think that the AG8 were not interested in what was best for the club... but you could make just as good a case for either.

I've considered that in the past, but the way it ended up the club survived and the players weren't straight out on the street. They had mortgages to pay and families to feed.

Loyalty pays no bills in this case.

It's called Rose Tinted glasses mate.

Yes I criticise...but it's positive critism...for the want of a better Club and better fan base. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Maynard is within his rights to leave at the end of his contract. If I were in his position (baring in mind he signed a 4 year deal, then proceeded to piss a year of it up the wall at our expense) then I would feel that morally I have an obligation to sign at least an extra year, but with a clause that if somebody comes in with say a £4m bid for him, then he can leave. But I'm not Nicky Maynard. The club only paid for Nicky Maynard's rehab etc. as the powers that be felt that we would get something out of it... not out of loyalty to the player. Anybody with a shelf-life of less than 15 years in their respective field needs to maximise their income and safeguard their family financially as best they can. Booing a player on your own team is completely counter-productive. I would never, nor have I ever booed anybody in a red shirt. But plenty others have, and everybody is entitled to their opinion.

So, in conclusion neither the club, player or fans are particularly wrong in anything that has been done, as they're all coming at it from different viewpoints.

I've considered that in the past, but the way it ended up the club survived and the players weren't straight out on the street. They had mortgages to pay and families to feed.

Loyalty pays no bills in this case.

Which is why I have raised the point, People are always keen to claim that in their generation everything was better... I don't really see that much is different in any era in terms of wanting to earn more money because that's the point of the capitalist world we live in...

Another point in regard to the supposed lack of loyalty from the current generation in respect to the loyalty shown by players in the past is the fact that the playing squads at several clubs have not been paid for 6months or more in recent times... Plymouth, Hearts, Pompey, and more that have slipped my mind. Are they not the epitome of loyalty as they continued to play without pay?

Archived