IGNORED

Mcinness Too Negative ?

notsobigfatdave

Yes but who did they have in midfeild and up front ?

It wouldn't have mattered if they didn't have a defence that conceded less than a goal a game first.

You don't take over a team shipping metric ****tons of goals and sign flair players. You fix the leaks first to give confidence and encourage them to play, then build on it.

You're really clutching at straws.

Who cares about attacking football when we are in our situation.

This season is all about staying up - we need to strengthen the defence.... So thats what mcinnes is doing....

If we stay up, there will be loads of players out of contract at the end of the season. Mcinnes can really start building then...

Til then, it's all about getting the team solid as a unit.

And anyway, he's only signed one defender... A much needed right back!!

Bloody hell Riaz I agree with you again. I must try to break the habit.

Didnt we win sh!t loads of games 1-0 or 2-1 under GJ in the playoff final season? I seem to remember that season being solid defence, not many goals scored ( byfield top scorer with 8?? ). Del is doing great. His 451 is a system used to make us more solid. Millens was a 451 to try no to lose.

We are creating plenty with 451, just not taking the chances. Im perfectly happy with Del signing defenders. 1-0 to the City may be a regular chant soon!

Didnt we win sh!t loads of games 1-0 or 2-1 under GJ in the playoff final season? I seem to remember that season being solid defence, not many goals scored ( byfield top scorer with 8?? ). Del is doing great. His 451 is a system used to make us more solid. Millens was a 451 to try no to lose.

We are creating plenty with 451, just not taking the chances. Im perfectly happy with Del signing defenders. 1-0 to the City may be a regular chant soon!

Spot on Nick. As I said earlier , lets be hard to beat , that's different from setting out not to lose. DMc will do for me , he can sign as many defenders as he likes , if , as you say , we are singing "1-0 to the City boys"

• Admin

Ever heard of the saying "strikers win matches, but defences win championships".

I'll let everyone else draw comparisons to our recent managers.

And just for good measure, the signing of defenders / midfielders / strikers are not necessarily mutually exclusive events.

With the signing of 1 midfielder, this manager has turned a group of players that took 24 attempts to win 6 games into a team that took almost half that to achieve the same number of wins. I'm personally keen to see any player he thinks can improve the squad, regardless of position.

It wouldn't have mattered if they didn't have a defence that conceded less than a goal a game first.

You don't take over a team shipping metric ****tons of goals and sign flair players. You fix the leaks first to give confidence and encourage them to play, then build on it.

You're really clutching at straws.

Well said,couldn't agree more.To be honest I'd be content with another 10 1-0 wins this season.

Ever heard of the saying "strikers win matches, but defences win championships".

I'll let everyone else draw comparisons to our recent managers.

And just for good measure, the signing of defenders / midfielders / strikers are not necessarily mutually exclusive events.

With the signing of 1 midfielder, this manager has turned a group of players that took 24 attempts to win 6 games into a team that took almost half that to achieve the same number of wins. I'm personally keen to see any player he thinks can improve the squad, regardless of position.

Bang on the money,all the championship winning sides get their titles by having a strong defence.I would always take a boring 1-0 win over a brilliant 5-4 defeat any day of the week.

Sorry but why start this.. Mcinnes being negative ?? really!! Sorry but this garbage ..The only people thts being negative the fans that start this,Get behind mcinnes and let him build a squad that we all want..Ive not seen a bit of negative since hes arrived and for a start has done more transfer business in a matter of months than millen ever did!!

Mcinnes red and white army i think so :)

Infact hes tried to win away games such as Derby, Coventry and Southampton of late by going more attacking with 30 mins to go i.e 442. It actually meant we lost the first two by being too open so i would hardly says Del is negative. Drawing those games with 30 mins to go under millen wouldve seen tactics and formation of everyone behind the ball holding out for a point. I remember us playing the entire 5 mins of injury time away to Millwall in their half, keeping the ball, knocking it about, creating chances. All this when only one goal ahead. Clearly not negative!!

Fair play to Bigfatdave for expressing his somewhat controversial idea's on McInnes's approach to keeping City in the Championship. They have led to an interesting thread and I have to say that BFD seems to be looking at Championship survival from the wrong end of the team sheet.

As others have said - balance the squad, create a solid defence and build from there. 10 more 1-0 wins would do us nicely. It maybe not be pretty but the method justifies the end.

All of your fears are irrational and unfounded Dave, ask yourself this. Where were we when McInnes took over and where are we now? It's no fluke. The improvement has been enormous.

Do you know why? Because he has made is hard to beat. We won't stay up simply by trying to out score teams. We will end up shipping goals as we did at the start of the season.

You can't turn a side getting beat every week into a team of free scoring superstars overnight. Things take time.

Nail on the head! It's going to take time for McInnes to mould his team into his image. It's a massive work in progress right now and we are light years better than we were when he took over. He's doing a fantastic job.

You think our defence is strong enough? There are only 6 teams who have conceded less than us and of those 6 teams only 2 have scored less than us. The simple fact is if we're struggling to score then we have to ensure we're not scored past. The best teams always have a strong defence and currently we're lacking, We're also lacking in attacking options but once we seal up the defence we can improve our attacking options too. At the end of the day he has to start somewhere, defence is the best place to start, he just needs to be given enough time to build his team, be it January and the summer or be it 2 years of building, whatever it takes we need to stop second guessing him and trust him to do the job.

Just remember, Alex Ferguson was almost sacked as the Manchester United manager earlier on in his career there and now look at him, possibly the best manager English football has ever seen. For once this club needs to trust in it's manager instead of second guessing him or calling for his head when he doesn't do what we expect of him.

Nail on the head! It's going to take time for McInnes to mould his team into his image. It's a massive work in progress right now and we are light years better than we were when he took over. He's doing a fantastic job.

Totally agree. Everything Mcinnes has said and done so far (with limited resources and few options) has impressed me and so I won't question any signings he makes because he knows exactly what he is doing.

Relax ! We're not going down this season (although it could be a close run thing at the end) then he will sort out the squad in the summer and as for next season when he will be putting out HIS team, we can be very optimistic I think.

If, by the start of next season the new stadium is finally under construction (likely I think), then the future is bright, the future is RED !

Let's go through a few sides then...

From the late 80s onwards, AC Milan had Messrs Maldini, Baresi, Costacurta and Tassoti. One of the best defences of all time, many might agree? They won 3 European Cups/CLs between 1989-1995 seasons and reached the final on 2 further occasions- though they had some great attackers also (Van Basten, Rijkaard, Boban, Savievic). Inter, while nowhere near as good a side as this AC Milan one won the CL in 2010 based on defensive nous, one of the best defensive displays I've seen when they held on in the Nou Camp with 10 men for over 70 mins. That said, in the 1st leg they did take the game to Barca, well until it was 3-1 when they went for all out defence.

On the other hand, in 1982 before my time but have seen footage, Brazil had a side who played with great flair and attacking ability- the result? A loss to Italy. Great sides- or even decent ones- always build from the back.

Archived