IGNORED

As Much As I Want A New Stadium...

Cider red

I do understand the need for the new stadium and have been impressed with the architects impressions and the design, but i am wondering wether it is time for us to give in and go back to the drawing board re developing the gate. The new stadium does not look like its going to happen in the near future with the nibmys scheme going to plan. Im pretty sure we had impressive plans approved by the council a few years back to redevelop the east end then the williams giving a capacity of around 28000. Being realistic i cant see us needing more than that? And surely we can provide the much needed corporate facilities (whatever they may be) in one or if not both of the new stands?

Discuss...

So after everything the club and supporters have been through so far to try get this new stadium, you want the club to abandon the idea at the final hurdle!!!!! :facepalm: Im not sure how many times the club has said that redevelopment of AG is not feasible! Plus the amount of time and money that has gone into the effort of it all!! Im sorry but this is an idiotic post and completely stupid idea! Good night

Redeveloping Ashton Gate is always going to be the plan b.

But the club and Steve Lansdown have invested too much into the Ashton Vale project to just throw in the towel and walk away.

The NIMBYS have been fighting every step of the way and are still (amazingly) managing to throw a spanner in the works. But I have every confidence that eventually Bristol City Football Club will win and we will get our new stadium at Ashton Vale.

The recent visit to Brighton was an inspiration for many of just how much a new stadium can lift a club. But it should also be a stark reminder of just how long the process can take when you are up against it. It took Brighton 14 years to see the finished product - so far the Ashton Vale stadium has been 5 years. While the NIMBYS keep throwing hurdles in our way, I am fully confident that eventually we will get our new stadium. Its just taking a lot longer than anticipated!

Pretty much what everyone else is saying but, new stadium will happen we need to sit tight and wait. We have spent a lot of money on this project and like someone said before, to walk away at the last hurdle would be stupid. I'm also not sure how much we can redevelop AG there is only a small walk way behind the east end and dolman

cost and room,

So now,

Remeber over 50% of the cost of the new ground is coming from sainsburys with lansdown putting up the rest take the sainsburys money away and lansdowns will be just about cover redevloping the east end

Sainsburys are paying £20m, Stadium(projected) cost will be £92m - I'm glad you aren't my accountant ;)

Back to the OP, it would have been my preferred choice(spiritual home and all that), but any FPP gained for the redevelopment of the EE and Williams would have lapsed by now and the thought of starting another couple of years of PP, Judicial Review, quite frankly, makes MY balls ache, let alone the people who finance and run the club.

As much as I am anti-stadium(despite myself, my missus, my then 3 year old son and both cats having signed all the petitions), I am getting pretty fed up with MY clubs future being placed in the hands of a handfull of people opposed to the scheme and Green campaignists hijacking an important investment within the South Bristol community.

This stadium now is far bigger than Bristol City. It's really all about Bristol in the 21st century.

Do we want Bristol to thrive and prosper or as a lot of new comers to the City want is Bristol become a gentle place which is stuck in the past and people from London can retire here and can still buy a Starbucks.

Or what the lib dems want is to slowly kill Bristol and move all the political power to South Glos.

I was chatting to a Long Ashton resident the other day and he said local affairs in the village are basically being led by the landed gentry. Do you think we should just get back in our place and let them defeat progress, jobs and a world class stadium for the sake of their nice view of a bit of green? This is war - One we are going to win.

This stadium now is far bigger than Bristol City. It's really all about Bristol in the 21st century.

Do we want Bristol to thrive and prosper or as a lot of new comers to the City want is Bristol become a gentle place which is stuck in the past and people from London can retire here and can still buy a Starbucks.

Or what the lib dems want is to slowly kill Bristol and move all the political power to South Glos.

Too right its bigger than the club watching the Inside out West report what a farce the whole village green issue can be ??? any piece of scrap land or water way no matter how decrepit can be put forward making it a barristers free for all and money in the bank.... Look how often the airport gets knocked back with protests about any expansion or increased night flights along with the normal lack of sporting venues and concert arena ... . The job front is appalling at present surely the knock on effect of constructing the ground and the new Sainsbury as well as staffing when completed is too good an opportunity to miss,the same thing has happened on Weston's old airfield plans to build a indoor dry ski-run have got Mr and Mrs not in my backyard in a knicker twist another huge patch of land that has had nothing on the vast majority of it for years...Ashton Gate i would have prefered to update but its just not practical in terms of space available and cost no point in giving in now hopefully any further judgement will see this latest pitfall for the delaying,time wasting farce it is.

It would be nice to stay at our spiritual home but if we are to move forward then we need a new ground. Even if redeveloping the gate was possible it'll would be hard to get it near 30,000. The new ground will start at 30,000 with the possibility of expansion. It will be a sad day when we sat good bye to Ashton Gate. :(

The only way that developing AG would be readable would be to buy up everything immediately around the stadium, all the houses behind the studio, the retail units behind the Williams and the houses and flats behind the dolman, that would be the only way to get the space to develop a ground with similar facilities to AV and it would cost an absolute bomb. Even if we found the cash to do that it would be a completely new ground so wouldn't be Ashton gate anymore anyway.

The only way that developing AG would be readable would be to buy up everything immediately around the stadium, all the houses behind the studio, the retail units behind the Williams and the houses and flats behind the dolman, that would be the only way to get the space to develop a ground with similar facilities to AV and it would cost an absolute bomb. Even if we found the cash to do that it would be a completely new ground so wouldn't be Ashton gate anymore anyway.

As I live in one of those flats I know where I stand on that one. We need the new ground.

It would be nice to stay at our spiritual home but if we are to move forward then we need a new ground. Even if redeveloping the gate was possible it'll would be hard to get it near 30,000. The new ground will start at 30,000 with the possibility of expansion. It will be a sad day when we sat good bye to Ashton Gate. :(

The new stadium is the only way forward, clubs our size need the impetus that it would generate to get into the premier league eg: Stoke and Swansea.

To stay at AG would induce a slow and painful gas type death!

:shocking:

It's not that difficult to expand ashton gate, I've visited many European grounds e.g. Club Brugge, Racing Club Santander and their grounds are much more tightly built than ours yet they have similar or larger capacities. A continential stadia arhitect could redevelop the gate with the space available imo.

And also this business about extended revenue? Don't see it somehow, there are decent facilities for functions at Ashton Gate they're just poorly advertised and overly priced.

Alas I am resigned to the new stadium as I can see some benefits from it, but still it's taking an ice age to get the bastard thing built. Symptomatic of some of the tossers that live in Bristol I suppose, that don't have the best interests of city wide development in mind.

It's not that difficult to expand ashton gate, I've visited many European grounds e.g. Club Brugge, Racing Club Santander and their grounds are much more tightly built than ours yet they have similar or larger capacities. A continential stadia arhitect could redevelop the gate with the space available imo.

And also this business about extended revenue? Don't see it somehow, there are decent facilities for functions at Ashton Gate they're just poorly advertised and overly priced.

Alas I am resigned to the new stadium as I can see some benefits from it, but still it's taking an ice age to get the bastard thing built. Symptomatic of some of the tossers that live in Bristol I suppose, that don't have the best interests of city wide development in mind.

Indeed, SL has stated that although AV is his much preferred way forward, his intention has always been to redevelop AG should it fall through.

So AV certainly isn't the ONLY choice for the future of Bristol City F.C.

As a fan who won't be using executive boxes, conference facilities, or some new hotel on the site I'm not sure how I personally will benefit from a new stadium.

Especially as they'll have to obliterate a traditional and atmospheric stadium I'm very fond of to achieve it.

There again I was happy enough standing in the EE in all winds and weathers for 20 plus years so presumably I'm not the sort of fan this stadium is being built for.

If Norwich can get to the PL, and apparently thrive, in a redeveloped 27,000 capacity stadium, there's no earthly reason why BCFC can't.

Indeed, SL has stated that although AV is his much preferred way forward, his intention has always been to redevelop AG should it fall through.

So AV certainly isn't the ONLY choice for the future of Bristol City F.C.

As a fan who won't be using executive boxes, conference facilities, or some new hotel on the site I'm not sure how I personally will benefit from a new stadium.

Especially as they'll have to obliterate a traditional and atmospheric stadium I'm very fond of to achieve it.

There again I was happy enough standing in the EE in all winds and weathers for 20 plus years so presumably I'm not the sort of fan this stadium is being built for.

If Norwich can get to the PL, and apparently thrive, in a redeveloped 27,000 capacity stadium, there's no earthly reason why BCFC can't.

Because you'll still have a club to support able to fund the standard of football we take for granted.

how big is our debt now?

Having gone this far, the ONLY option is to keep fighting for a new stadium at AV.

My main concern, though, is that Sainsburys won't have as much patience and determination as the club. Commercial interests and income are less patient for results. I just hope Sainsburys don't give up on the AG site, and look elsewhere: that would really throw a spanner in the works...

Having gone this far, the ONLY option is to keep fighting for a new stadium at AV.

My main concern, though, is that Sainsburys won't have as much patience and determination as the club. Commercial interests and income are less patient for results. I just hope Sainsburys don't give up on the AG site, and look elsewhere: that would really throw a spanner in the works...

The Winterstoke road store is still getting some decent results and they can't expand that site so it's AG or stay put I think. Sainsbury's have been on a bit of an expansion drive in the SW so I doubt they'll pass up the opportunity to build the new store at AG.

Because you'll still have a club to support able to fund the standard of football we take for granted.

In your haste to reply you obviously didn't digest the last line of my previous post about Norwich.

Add Fulham, Wolves and Blackburn.

Redeveloped stadiums, sub. 30k. capacity, PL football.

Bristol City could likewise sustain PL football at a redeveloped Ashton Gate, capacity approaching 30k. - why would such a scheme remain as SL's stated back up plan otherwise?dunno.gif

In your haste to reply you obviously didn't digest the last line of my previous post about Norwich.

Bristol City could likewise sustain PL football at a redeveloped Ashton Gate, capacity approaching 30k. - why would such a scheme remain as SL's stated back up plan otherwise?dunno.gif

Because it wouldn't be as profitable, another thing that SL said. He also stated that if we did have to go to plan B we would have to scale back our outgoings considerably which are already barely proving to be enough to keep us in the second tier!

It's got little to do with the football side, the money comes from 365 day a year use and built to purpose facilities.

If we stayed I'd rebuild all four stands and put a carpark under the pitch.

Archived