IGNORED

As Much As I Want A New Stadium...

Cider red

Because it wouldn't be as profitable, another thing that SL said. He also stated that if we did have to go to plan B we would have to scale back our outgoings considerably which are already barely proving to be enough to keep us in the second tier!

It's got little to do with the football side, the money comes from 365 day a year use and built to purpose facilities.

SL wants to 'scale back our outgoings' anyway, he's made that perfectly clear. New stadium or not he wants value for money from now on, rather than paying high fees and/or wages to about 10 players we don't want or need.

A redeveloped AG might not be as profitable, nevertheless that is the back up plan and rest assured it will happen if AV falls through.

By the way, you were aware that purpose built conference facilities, executive boxes, restaurants etc. were all included in previous plans for a redeveloped AG?dunno.gif

SL wants to 'scale back our outgoings' anyway, he's made that perfectly clear. New stadium or not he wants value for money from now on, rather than paying high fees and/or wages to about 10 players we don't want or need.

A redeveloped AG might not be as profitable, nevertheless that is the back up plan and rest assured it will happen if AV falls through.

By the way, you were aware that purpose built conference facilities, executive boxes, restaurants etc. were all included in previous plans for a redeveloped AG?dunno.gif

Actually he said we wouldn't increase the budgets but would try work at the same level of expenditure if I remember correctly. He wants his money spent more efficiently of course but as long as AV is on the horizon it was always my understanding that the funding for the playing side would always remain about the same.

Thankfully AV won't fall through. The 60 something's of Bristol will no longer hold us back...

That was my way of thinking... surely we can have all the facilities that the new stadium will bring at a redeveloped ashton gate? so why the difference in profit? I am actually in favour of building the new stadium, but with all the loopholes it doesnt realistically look like it will be happening in the near future. Didnt sl recently say in an interview if the new stadium takes too long we can redevelop the gate in the mean time and still move eventually...

That was my way of thinking... surely we can have all the facilities that the new stadium will bring at a redeveloped ashton gate? so why the difference in profit? I am actually in favour of building the new stadium, but with all the loopholes it doesnt realistically look like it will be happening in the near future. Didnt sl recently say in an interview if the new stadium takes too long we can redevelop the gate in the mean time and still move eventually...

What sort of conference would you be happy to go to where you have to park away from the facility ?

Expansion of both the williams and the east end (which are the only two really available) will eat up most of if not all of the parking.

If you can pitch to companies that they can have 500 deligates plus conference but will have to park wherever they can find and get some takers then you are a bloody good sales person.

It's not simply that facilities available that are important, it's the parking around and the general infrastructure which ashton gate can never have.

We don't have the fanbase to compete at the level we are at, and you can rebuild Ashton Gate as many times as you want and it will never bring the extra support that a new stadium that isn't a complete bastard to park around and generally get to will, so we need the non-matchday revenue that AG or a redeveloped AG will not bring.

Take Sunderland, they have always had the fanbase, yet they often struggled to fill Roker park, because it was a dump and didn't have the infastructure to bring people in, they build the stadium of light and those people came back and they found that they had to expand the stadium.

Actually he said we wouldn't increase the budgets but would try work at the same level of expenditure if I remember correctly. He wants his money spent more efficiently of course but as long as AV is on the horizon it was always my understanding that the funding for the playing side would always remain about the same.

Thankfully AV won't fall through. The 60 something's of Bristol will no longer hold us back...

Jog on Sonny Jim, :shutup: plenty of "mature" fans who are Bristol residents are 100% behind this.

Always glad of support though from those youngsters from the mud flats of course :whistle2:

Jog on Sonny Jim, :shutup: plenty of "mature" fans who are Bristol residents are 100% behind this.

Always glad of support though from those youngsters from the mud flats of course :whistle2:

Just an observation that all of the Nimby's on yesterdays BBC programme seemed to be of a certain age and that a lot of the older, grumpier fans on here don't want to move for there own nostalgia and that to me ain't on!

It's the younger generation who get the benefits of development like this, but the older ones who seem to hold the city back!

Just an observation that all of the Nimby's on yesterdays BBC programme seemed to be of a certain age and that a lot of the older, grumpier fans on here don't want to move for there own nostalgia and that to me ain't on!

It's the younger generation who get the benefits of development like this, but the older ones who seem to hold the city back!

**** me I agree with you for once.

What sort of conference would you be happy to go to where you have to park away from the facility ?

Expansion of both the williams and the east end (which are the only two really available) will eat up most of if not all of the parking.

If you can pitch to companies that they can have 500 deligates plus conference but will have to park wherever they can find and get some takers then you are a bloody good sales person.

It's not simply that facilities available that are important, it's the parking around and the general infrastructure which ashton gate can never have.

We don't have the fanbase to compete at the level we are at, and you can rebuild Ashton Gate as many times as you want and it will never bring the extra support that a new stadium that isn't a complete bastard to park around and generally get to will, so we need the non-matchday revenue that AG or a redeveloped AG will not bring.

Take Sunderland, they have always had the fanbase, yet they often struggled to fill Roker park, because it was a dump and didn't have the infastructure to bring people in, they build the stadium of light and those people came back and they found that they had to expand the stadium.

Spot on!!

Indeed, SL has stated that although AV is his much preferred way forward, his intention has always been to redevelop AG should it fall through.

So AV certainly isn't the ONLY choice for the future of Bristol City F.C.

If Norwich can get to the PL, and apparently thrive, in a redeveloped 27,000 capacity stadium, there's no earthly reason why BCFC can't.

5 years ago, Steve Lansdown said we would develop Ashton Gate. And you know what. The disciples said, yes Steve.

And now, Steve says, its Ashton Vale or bust. So the disciples say, thank God we have Steve. No, Steve is God!

Oh the usual stuff, Steve is a good bloke and all that, however take it from me you will not defeat the blind idiocy of the disciples.

I'm not 60 something and I'm certain NickJ isn't either. The under 12's of Bristol will not be held back eh?

I have a lot of respect for the views of any '60 something's' (who may well supported BCFC for 50 years plus) and perhaps you should too.

There are fans of all ages who would prefer to stay at AG just like there are fans of all ages who want the new stadium.

I haven't yet visited, or seen, a new stadium I would happily swap for Ashton Gate and the view of many fans who have had these vapid bowls imposed upon them is that they would turn the clock back and be back in their old stadium if they could.

Mind you I must admit I haven't spoken to any of the prawn sandwich brigade up in their executive boxes, sought views amongst the suited 'football fanatics' at Wednesday morning conference gatherings, or indeed questioned those checking out of club owned hotels on adjacent land as to what they prefer.

Which was remiss of me really, because it seems they're the most important people in all this.mad.gif

I'm not 60 something and I'm certain NickJ isn't either. The under 12's of Bristol will not be held back eh?

I have a lot of respect for the views of any '60 something's' (who may well supported BCFC for 50 years plus) and perhaps you should too.

There are fans of all ages who would prefer to stay at AG just like there are fans of all ages who want the new stadium.

I haven't yet visited, or seen, a new stadium I would happily swap for Ashton Gate and the view of many fans who have had these vapid bowls imposed upon them is that they would turn the clock back and be back in their old stadium if they could.

Mind you I must admit I haven't spoken to any of the prawn sandwich brigade up in their executive boxes, sought views amongst the suited 'football fanatics' at Wednesday morning conference gatherings, or indeed questioned those checking out of club owned hotels on adjacent land as to what they prefer.

Which was remiss of me really, because it seems they're the most important people in all this.mad.gif

Yawn. The majority were in favour, you and the anti-progression clan missed your chance... Deal with it.

Did mommy never tell you there was no use crying over spilt milk? Then again, you'd never post again if you stopped...

Zzz.

Edit: it says everything about your backward, selfish views that you think "holding back the under 12's" is something to joke about. They are exactly the people this development will benefit...

I forget if it was you, but I have a feeling that you're one of the posters who said "I don't want the Prem, I'm happy where I am"... Well that's all well and good treacle, but Steve, Derek and what I would hope to be the vast majority of fans completely disagree.

You harp on and on (and on and on and on) about Carey's contract holding back the club and the younger players yet wish to do the same to the club and the younger fans...

But hey, who am I to argue, you're clearly right by virtue of being on the planet longer? *snigger*

I can sympathise with the fans who would like us to stay at a re-developed Gate and in a perfect world, I'd love to see that too. Clubs like Newcastle and Blackburn have travelled that route and now have great stadiums at their spiritual homes, but that was with massive and I mean massive investment.

BUT ...... Steve Lansdown is a very wealthy man and also a very astute businessman and knows very well that the cost of redeveloping AG would make AV's cost seem like a drop in the ocean in comparison. Even if we did that, we'd still probably be left with a sows ear, rather than a silk purse! The site is too enclosed and is limited in terms of maximum heights of stands, due to housing behind the stands, hence the restricted size and slightly odd shape when the Atyeo was built.

I don't know how many of the 'stay at AG' contingent followed the planning application process, but there was an incredible amount of crap trotted out about increased traffic on Winterstoke and Ashton Road due to the AV stadium development. That would pale into insignificance if we reverted back to redeveloping AG and you'd see the protest groups coming out in their hoards complaining about pollution, congestion, parking issues and the chances of their children, dogs and anything else they could think of being mown down by the vast flood of cars coming into the area on match days.

We can all find great examples of clubs such as Norwich, who've very successfully redeveloped their own stadiums, but people are conveniently forgetting one fact ............... they aren't located in Bristol!!!! One thing Bristol excells in is providing a very safe haven for Nimbys, and a city council who regularly put the interests of the selfish few above the greater good of the whole City.

For that reason we'll have massive planning battles whichever way we go, but imho the AV one is the more winnable one and has a far better chance of creating the stadium that will give the club the room to grow and take this club forward in a sustainable way in the future.

I can sympathise with the fans who would like us to stay at a re-developed Gate and in a perfect world, I'd love to see that too. Clubs like Newcastle and Blackburn have travelled that route and now have great stadiums at their spiritual homes, but that was with massive and I mean massive investment.

BUT ...... Steve Lansdown is a very wealthy man and also a very astute businessman and knows very well that the cost of redeveloping AG would make AV's cost seem like a drop in the ocean in comparison. Even if we did that, we'd still probably be left with a sows ear, rather than a silk purse! The site is too enclosed and is limited in terms of maximum heights of stands, due to housing behind the stands, hence the restricted size and slightly odd shape when the Atyeo was built.

I don't know how many of the 'stay at AG' contingent followed the planning application process, but there was an incredible amount of crap trotted out about increased traffic on Winterstoke and Ashton Road due to the AV stadium development. That would pale into insignificance if we reverted back to redeveloping AG and you'd see the protest groups coming out in their hoards complaining about pollution, congestion, parking issues and the chances of their children, dogs and anything else they could think of being mown down by the vast flood of cars coming into the area on match days.

We can all find great examples of clubs such as Norwich, who've very successfully redeveloped their own stadiums, but people are conveniently forgetting one fact ............... they aren't located in Bristol!!!! One thing Bristol excells in is providing a very safe haven for Nimbys, and a city council who regularly put the interests of the selfish few above the greater good of the whole City.

For that reason we'll have massive planning battles whichever way we go, but imho the AV one is the more winnable one and has a far better chance of creating the stadium that will give the club the room to grow and take this club forward in a sustainable way in the future.

I don't pretend to know the latest estimate for rebuilding the Williams and the East End, and filling in all the corners etc., but I've never seen figures that suggest it would be more than AV, or beyond the club's means.

In fact SL has said it would happen, and quickly, if AV falls through. Some of it may even happen in the meantime if there are very long delays but the prospect of eventual victory for SL and the new stadium remains.

I believe the club have not allowed planning permission for redevelopment of AG to lapse - though I stand to be corrected on this - and if that is the case it would rule out all the problems you foresee above regarding protests. If the club needs more space is the Braby land still available?

I am simply putting the case for the alternative to AV on behalf of not only those fans who are against it but also many more who would much prefer to stay at AG but have been persuaded AV is the ONLY way forward for Bristol City F.C., so are supporting it for that reason.

Steve Lansdown has said redeveloping AG would be his plan B, so as much as his heart is set on AV, I think we can safely say Ashton Gate can be redeveloped to a suitable capacity, and would be, despite being problematical in different ways to AV, and no doubt less profitable.

That's the point I'm trying to make on this thread; despite my own misgivings I've little doubt Ashton Vale will almost certainly eventually go ahead.

I don't pretend to know the latest estimate for rebuilding the Williams and the East End, and filling in all the corners etc., but I've never seen figures that suggest it would be more than AV, or beyond the club's means.

In fact SL has said it would happen, and quickly, if AV falls through. Some of it may even happen in the meantime if there are very long delays but the prospect of eventual victory for SL and the new stadium remains.

I believe the club have not allowed planning permission for redevelopment of AG to lapse - though I stand to be corrected on this - and if that is the case it would rule out all the problems you foresee above regarding protests. If the club needs more space is the Braby land still available?

I am simply putting the case for the alternative to AV on behalf of not only those fans who are against it but also many more who would much prefer to stay at AG but have been persuaded AV is the ONLY way forward for Bristol City F.C., so are supporting it for that reason.

Steve Lansdown has said redeveloping AG would be his plan B, so as much as his heart is set on AV, I think we can safely say Ashton Gate can be redeveloped to a suitable capacity, and would be, despite being problematical in different ways to AV, and no doubt less profitable.

That's the point I'm trying to make on this thread; despite my own misgivings I've little doubt Ashton Vale will almost certainly eventually go ahead.

Fair comment Nogbad

I think its fair to say though that given the fact most clubs opt to re-locate rather than redevelop, then the former is very likely to be the most cost effective, whatever club it relates to. The problem with re-developing your existing stadium is, you still have to play in it, so the reduced capacity can be a problem. When results are going as they are at present it isn't really an issue, but if we were going well and pushing towards capacity crowds, then knocking 6 to 7 thousand off the gate while a stand is being rebuilt can be significant.

As you say though, SL is likely to be keeping that option open, but he's going to get a massively reduced return on his investment if we go the AG route. That's when I'd be concerned that SL would have been pushed to the point where he says stuff this council and I'll take my money elsewhere and I can't say I'd blame him.

I agree that AV is clearly not the only way forward, however i do think that if we stay and re-develop Ahston Gate, the best we can hope for is contunual survival battles in this league, and maybe a freak run to promotion. Comparisons to the like of Norwich and brum who have sucessfully re-developed their own ground are for me moot, the vast majority of teams who have done this sucessfully have fan bases far in excess of ours, and i don't think that re-development can bring us the fanbase to compete at this level, while a new stadium can.

I'm no expert, but a new stadium doesn't equal success.

Compare Coventry with Fulham, Norwich with Leicester etc.

Seems to me that the East End could have a 3-4,000 second tier added reasonably easily without taking up much parking space.

Bristol City certainly should have a plan B though, in case the new stadium doesn't come off.

Nogbad out of interest where do you sit at the Gate?

I'm guessing you don't sit in the upper Dolman? Anyone who sits there & doesn't sit at an end of a row would know what a dreadful design it is and how long you have to wait to get out of it.

It quite often takes 10-15 mins after the match to slowly shuffle along the row, then wait for for someone to left you out of the row, then down the steps, then wait again to 'filter' in & start shuffling along towards the exit steps.. shall I go on?

This alone is one of the reasons we need a new stadium, yeah ok I could sit somewhere else, but I like my seat, it's just frustrating to waste time after the end of the match. It's not a surprise that people leave the stand early.

I just hope there is never a reason to evacuate quickly!

Personally I would love a St Marys or a Madjeski and get out 10 mins earlier.

I'm guessing you don't sit in the upper Dolman? Anyone who sits there & doesn't sit at an end of a row would know what a dreadful design it is and how long you have to wait to get out of it.

It quite often takes 10-15 mins after the match to slowly shuffle along the row, then wait for for someone to left you out of the row, then down the steps, then wait again to 'filter' in & start shuffling along towards the exit steps.. shall I go on?

This alone is one of the reasons we need a new stadium, yeah ok I could sit somewhere else, but I like my seat, it's just frustrating to waste time after the end of the match. It's not a surprise that people leave the stand early.

St Mary's was brilliant! Lovely ground good views. Shite burgers though!

Haha

Fair comment Nogbad

I think its fair to say though that given the fact most clubs opt to re-locate rather than redevelop, then the former is very likely to be the most cost effective, whatever club it relates to. The problem with re-developing your existing stadium is, you still have to play in it, so the reduced capacity can be a problem. When results are going as they are at present it isn't really an issue, but if we were going well and pushing towards capacity crowds, then knocking 6 to 7 thousand off the gate while a stand is being rebuilt can be significant.

As you say though, SL is likely to be keeping that option open, but he's going to get a massively reduced return on his investment if we go the AG route. That's when I'd be concerned that SL would have been pushed to the point where he says stuff this council and I'll take my money elsewhere and I can't say I'd blame him.

Fear not Brizzle, SL has said he would never leave City in the lurch, new stadium or not.

I think you're right that he may lose heart if the new stadium doesn't come off.

That may spell the beginning of the end for SL at BCFC, he may well feel he's done as much as he can and it's time to seek his successor. In fact, I'm sure he's hinted as much. What is certain though is that he will not leave until he has found a suitable, and very well off, replacement with the energy and finance to initially keep the club stable, and eventually take it forward.

In that scenario the new man would take over with the knowledge that Ashton Gate needed to be redeveloped and he could concentrate on making his mark in that direction without delay..

On the other hand even if SL decided to go, he may well feel that if no new stadium can be achieved he might want to leave his legacy of a new stand or two at AG.

Either way. City are determined to increase capacity and revenue streams and if they can't do that at a new stadium I'm sure AG would quickly be redeveloped.

I agree that AV is clearly not the only way forward, however i do think that if we stay and re-develop Ahston Gate, the best we can hope for is contunual survival battles in this league, and maybe a freak run to promotion. Comparisons to the like of Norwich and brum who have sucessfully re-developed their own ground are for me moot, the vast majority of teams who have done this sucessfully have fan bases far in excess of ours, and i don't think that re-development can bring us the fanbase to compete at this level, while a new stadium can.

Entertaining, successful football is the only thing that will bring the fans in once the initial excitement of a new stadium had worn off.

If AG was developed to 27,000ish, according to previous plans, there'd be a fair bit of excitement about that in itself, plus of course the new executive boxes, conference facilities, etc., thought to be so vital to progress would be incorporated.

If I'm not mistaken a redeveloped AG would equal the capacity at Cardiff's new stadium.

I'm in the Lower Dolman ojjy.

Don't forget with the Williams and East End being hugely expanded the Dolman would become the 3rd largest stand rather than the biggest as it is at the moment.

I suspect many Dolmanites would move across to the New Williams in order to keep their preferred side view but in much more palatial surroundings, and more convenient exits.

I should think the Dolman would also be reduced in capacity as soon as the New Williams was up and running with executive boxes taking over perhaps the top third of the stand.

Longer term no doubt it would be replaced altogether with a smaller capacity stand with modern exits, though if the new stand had corners linking it to the Atyeo and New East End, I'd imagine at least a similar capacity on that side could be maintained.

The advantage of AV is that we get £20mill with no ongoing responsibility for dealing with our current site. We would be able to stay at the Gate until we moved. The proposed ground has been designed free of any physical restrictions.

Ashton Gate is bordered on 2 and a half sides, giving little leeway for redeveloping the ground mainly because of height restrictions at the Ateyo and East Ends. Buying the housing is not a realistic possibility.

The only real possibility would be to buy up the Wickes and Dreams land plus Charnwood House on Marsh Road, flatten it then do what Bournemouth did and Spurs plan to do and move the pitch. It would be messy and mean that we'd spend a number of seasons with half to 3 quarters of a ground and would probably be expensive. However, it is feasible. I guess these are the reasons redeveloping Ashton Gate is very much 2nd choice.

What has made this a less unattractive option is the recession. The land needed must be easier to obtain now then before 2008. No idea how much it would cost to build here in comparison to AV.

Archived