IGNORED

Back For Good?

The Exiled Robin

NEW on The Exiled Robin:

As Gary Johnson returns to Yeovil, I offer a detailed look at his career and in particular his time at Ashton Gate, and wonder whether this is a man who has lost his mojo!

http://exiledrobin.blogspot.com/2012/01/back-for-good-magic-johnsons-roundabout.html?spref=tw

As ever all comments gratefully received and if you like it please share it on Facebook, Twitter etc - spent a lot of time on this one, would be nice for lots to read it!!

I never took to the bloke myself. To me he seemed a big head that liked to blow his own trumpet. I was glad when he left. Still, from what I gather, many think he's great.

Yeah I find it is quite hard to take to a guy who takes you from the bottom of league 1 to 90 minutes of the Prem. All in under 3 seasons.

NEW on The Exiled Robin:

As Gary Johnson returns to Yeovil, I offer a detailed look at his career and in particular his time at Ashton Gate, and wonder whether this is a man who has lost his mojo!

http://exiledrobin.b...t.html?spref=tw

As ever all comments gratefully received and if you like it please share it on Facebook, Twitter etc - spent a lot of time on this one, would be nice for lots to read it!!

Great article, one of the best rollercoasters I've ever been on and it was sad the way it ended.The two legs with Palace will live long in the memory and the home leg remains one of my best nights ever at the Gate,Happy days.

I never took to the bloke myself. To me he seemed a big head that liked to blow his own trumpet. I was glad when he left. Still, from what I gather, many think he's great.

He did a brilliant job, no one can deny that, however: I never took to him either, and at the point he left, I was glad to see the back of him.

You must respect a man though who took us to within 90 minutes of the Prem, it's a shame, his days with us came to such a bitter end, but we will be here long after ANY manager.

I wish him well in the future, although I think he will never reach the heights he did with City again.

I never took to the bloke myself. To me he seemed a big head that liked to blow his own trumpet. I was glad when he left.

Me neither. One trick pony that worked for a while at City but then got found out and failed. Same happened at Posh and Northampton. Same will happen at Yeovil as well, unless Skiverton can keep him under control.

He did a brilliant job, no one can deny that, however: I never took to him either, and at the point he left, I was glad to see the back of him.

You must respect a man though who took us to within 90 minutes of the Prem, it's a shame, his days with us came to such a bitter end, but we will be here long after ANY manager.

I wish him well in the future, although I think he will never reach the heights he did with City again.

Well said, my feelings too. Never very keen on the bloke but he did drag this club's sorry arse out of the lower league oblivion we seemed to be getting used to. Glad he went when he did, it was time for a change.

Me neither. One trick pony that worked for a while at City but then got found out and failed. Same happened at Posh and Northampton. Same will happen at Yeovil as well, unless Skiverton can keep him under control.

You didn't like him? I'd never have guessed.

I think few could deny, he has been the best manager we've had for a long, long time. Hopefully Del can emulate his achievements though, he seems to be a decent appointment.

Brought his Yeovil team to Salisbury for a pre-season friendly about 10 years ago when Salisbury were basically bankrupt. Waived all of Yeovil's expenses and (apparently) made a donation to the club.

Probably not the most likeable of characters but a real football man.

Bristol City Legend.

Nuff said.

Indeed he is. Great article by the way, really enjoyed reading it. In my eyes, having followed City since 1992, Johnson brought the 2 most exciting, enjoyable seasons I've had watching the team - it was really something special at one point, and we haven't experienced anywhere near those highs since. In fact, before Johnson, the only 2 truly great memories I had watching City were the 2-1 play-off win over Hartlepool and the 5-4 at Mansfield.

Under Gary, the club were riding a crest of a wave and wins against Palace, at Watford when they were top of the league, at Donny, Coventry, home v Rotherham and even the 2 FA Cup games against Middlesbrough will live long in the memory for me.

You didn't like him? I'd never have guessed.

I think few could deny, he has been the best manager we've had for a long, long time. Hopefully Del can emulate his achievements though, he seems to be a decent appointment.

I think many who were originally impressed by Johnson have since realised through hindsight that he was very one-dimensional both in his management style and way of playing. He lacked foresight and imagination and once the initial success had passed he had no Plan B. He became desperate, signed seemingly numerous ridiculous loan players and eventually became so frustrated that he completely lost the plot.

I don't think those limitations add up to the 'best manager' tag. Wilson imo was a better manager as was Joe Jordan.

Imo Johnson is well suited to a club like Yeovil. Small, provincial with few expectations. Any success then makes a bigger impact. Johnson will be a hero if he keeps them in Division 1.

I think many who were originally impressed by Johnson have since realised through hindsight that he was very one-dimensional both in his management style and way of playing. He lacked foresight and imagination and once the initial success had passed he had no Plan B. He became desperate, signed seemingly numerous ridiculous loan players and eventually became so frustrated that he completely lost the plot.

I don't think those limitations add up to the 'best manager' tag. Wilson imo was a better manager as was Joe Jordan.

Imo Johnson is well suited to a club like Yeovil. Small, provincial with few expectations. Any success then makes a bigger impact. Johnson will be a hero if he keeps them in Division 1.

sorry your wrong while yes he did lose the plot he will be fondly remebered by the majority of city fans as our must sucsessful manager since alan dicks and one of the most likeable since terry cooper

Wilson imo was a better manager

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Wilson's time as manager was a complete failure - ESPECIALLY when you compare with Johnson. And that goes for entertainment value too..

Wilson's time as manager was a complete failure - ESPECIALLY when you compare with Johnson. And that goes for entertainment value too..

I would expect you to say that.

Fact is I enjoyed watching Wilson's teams far more than I ever did Johnsons. Getting a goal up and then trying to hang on didn't do it for me.........If it did it for you then you are easily pleased.

I would expect you to say that.

Fact is I enjoyed watching Wilson's teams far more than I ever did Johnsons. Getting a goal up and then trying to hang on didn't do it for me.........If it did it for you then you are easily pleased.

Easily pleased? I found the wilson era pretty boring to be honest. Who is easily pleased?

Can you not remember Burnell in midfield and many, many boring (and very poor) performances??

At least we would often win under johnson.

Johnson did not struggle to get out of League One - Wilson did!

What was so great under wilson that was better than a promotion and almost reaching the PL?

Not to mention, many games where ashton gate was rocking and packed.... I can only think of one game like that under wilson - the rest we had half empty ashton gate and the crowd was rarely "rocking" under wilson.

<br />I think many who were originally impressed by Johnson have since realised through hindsight that he was very one-dimensional both in his management style and way of playing. He lacked foresight and imagination and once the initial success had passed he had no Plan B. He became desperate, signed seemingly numerous ridiculous loan players and eventually became so frustrated that he completely lost the plot.<br /><br />I don't think those limitations add up to the 'best manager' tag. Wilson imo was a better manager as was Joe Jordan.<br /><br />Imo Johnson is well suited to a club like Yeovil. Small, provincial with few expectations. Any success then makes a bigger impact. Johnson will be a hero if he keeps them in Division 1.<br /><br /><br />

I've been reading your posts for years and to be fair you seem like a decent enough fellow red, so what i'm about to say shouldn't be taken the wrong way.

Why bother with posts like this? You know you'll get stick and the like and if anything you just start to sound bitter. You remind of the sort of person you finds it neccessary to go out in the street and tell kids to move on or you'll call the police. Without ever realising that all you've done is make things worse and they probabaly come back more and more, when in reality if you'd have said nothing, they would have moved on, never to be seen again.

I don't know why you hate Gary Johnson (and please don't say you don't), but everytime his name crops up, please don't feel the need to be bitter and twisted as it lost it's novelty a long time ago.

Why bother with posts like this? You know you'll get stick and the like and if anything you just start to sound bitter. You remind of the sort of person you finds it neccessary to go out in the street and tell kids to move on or you'll call the police. Without ever realising that all you've done is make things worse and they probabaly come back more and more, when in reality if you'd have said nothing, they would have moved on, never to be seen again.

Just my opinion that's all and not that different from other some of the other posters on this thread and yet you pick out my thread as the one to slate.

Archived