IGNORED

Back For Good?

The Exiled Robin

The worst position we achieved in the Championship under Johnson was TENTH. I think that is worth remembering amidst accusations that the wheels came off, he was a one trick pony, blah, blah. Ludicrous.

What we would do for TENTH now.

In fighting, players not travelling on the team coach and freefalling down the league!

I'd say signs all the wheels had come off and he'd lost the plot....

In fighting, players not travelling on the team coach and freefalling down the league!

I'd say signs all the wheels had come off and he'd lost the plot....

Think your missing the point. We all know he lost the plot. But he built a squad able to maintain a top ten position - even at the end...

Think your missing the point. We all know he lost the plot. But he built a squad able to maintain a top ten position - even at the end...

With all due respect Mr Riaz I don't think I Am.

The post I was replying to claimed that he'd not lost the plot and it was ridiculous to say as such , I was just pointing out to THAT poster that in fact for the reasons I mentioned he was a deadman waking.

Nevertheless thanks for the info...

City were in free fall the season he left and Millen turned it around in that 8 game spell before Coppell came in. The following season Millen achieved 60 points which was only 1 and 2 points less than what Johnson had managed in the previous two seasons.

That is a brilliant read as per usual.

I love Gary. I wish him all the best wherever he goes. That season where we could be anyone was amazing. Going to coventry away and winning 3-0, getting a 1-1 away draw at Wolves - I'll never forget it.

Thank you GJ, i hope you do the job at Yeovil.

City were in free fall the season he left and Millen turned it around in that 8 game spell before Coppell came in. The following season Millen achieved 60 points which was only 1 and 2 points less than what Johnson had managed in the previous two seasons.

Millen turned it round with johnsons squad. Point being, Johnson had lost the plot - but the squad he left was still able to finish tenth. Basically he left us a decent and capable squad.

Millen turned it round with johnsons squad. Point being, Johnson had lost the plot - but the squad he left was still able to finish tenth. Basically he left us a decent and capable squad.

You must have dreamt that Riaz.

Why do you suppose Millen struggled for most of the time he was in charge? and why has McInnes already brought in three players to improve his resources?

I'll tell you why. Its because the squad has been under strength since the play-off season. Johnson failed to realise that in order to push on again he needed to improve the squad but he stayed pretty much with the same bunch of players. Eventually he started making hopeless loans when he realised the squad wasn't good enough and it still isn't good enough.

Millen was at fault for not bringing in several better quality player during his reign, he was as one-eyed as Johnson was in that regard. Thankfully McInnes is doing something about it. Pearson has been improving so he looks a good signing. As for Foster and Wood its too early to say how successful they'll be.

Why do you suppose Millen struggled for most of the time he was in charge? and why has McInnes already brought in three players to improve his resources?

I'll tell you why. Its because the squad has been under strength since the play-off season. Johnson failed to realise that in order to push on again he needed to improve the squad but he stayed pretty much with the same bunch of players. Eventually he started making hopeless loans when he realised the squad wasn't good enough and it still isn't good enough.

Millen was at fault for not bringing in several better quality player during his reign, he was as one-eyed as Johnson was in that regard. Thankfully McInnes is doing something about it. Pearson has been improving so he looks a good signing. As for Foster and Wood its too early to say how successful they'll be.

Proof is in the pudding. That squad finished tenth. You can't argue with facts.

Millen struggled mainly because he was tactically inept. The coppell saga didn't help either.

Don't get me wrong. The signing of styvar and contracts given to LJ and Mcallister were big mistakes and costly.

But that squad still finished TENTH

Having been a regular at AG for over 45 yrs i have seen many managers/players/fans come and go, with the exception of the AD era Johnson's time were without doubt the most exciting times at AG, thanks GJ. Millens time must rank as one of the most depressing and boring times during that my time. Robbored, you are a clown, i cannot believe some of the drivel you write, how can anyone criticise what GJ did for us

Having been a regular at AG for over 45 yrs i have seen many managers/players/fans come and go, with the exception of the AD era Johnson's time were without doubt the most exciting times at AG, thanks GJ. Millens time must rank as one of the most depressing and boring times during that my time. Robbored, you are a clown, i cannot believe some of the drivel you write, how can anyone criticise what GJ did for us

Why the personal insult?

If you don't agree with what I post you could try arguing your case in a grown up way.

I never took to the bloke myself. To me he seemed a big head that liked to blow his own trumpet. I was glad when he left. Still, from what I gather, many think he's great.

Actually a very nice bloke with a cracking sense of humour. Maybe let down a little with his man management skills and hand grenade comments. Lets remember he got us to within 90 minutes of the Holy Grail so deserves respect for that.

Hope he does well with Yeovil.

So have I and I agree with your comments, however lets remember Millen got us out of deep poo when he took over and we finished in a respectable position.

As for Robbored, he is not a clown but a fan with an opinion to which he is entitled. I agree with some of his comments and disagree with some (especially those regarding GJ) but hey ho ............ thats life.

This forum would be better served without personal attacks on other fans.

At the end of the day we all want whats best for BCFC :winner_third_h4h:

So have I and I agree with your comments, however lets remember Millen got us out of deep poo when he took over and we finished in a respectable position.

As for Robbored, he is not a clown but a fan with an opinion to which he is entitled. I agree with some of his comments and disagree with some (especially those regarding GJ) but hey ho ............ thats life.

This forum would be better served without personal attacks on other fans.

At the end of the day we all want whats best for BCFC :winner_third_h4h:

Ah, just remembered why i very rarely post on here anymore :yawn:

Great article.

Like all managers - bar maybe Fergie - the wheels eventually fell off the Johnson wagon at City. But I'm struggling to think of many highs in the past 30 years to beat those that Johnson and his side offered up.

Some, of course, no one at Anfield when we beat Liverpool would forget that...but I can think of no other experience of City consistently exceeding our expectations. Never before, or since, have I been envied by fans of other clubs because my team is doing so well. Never, before or since, was it such good fun to follow City home and away. I'm sure there are fans from the 70s who have better memories but for most at the Gate it didn't get much better than the Johnson era.

I'm not sure how any subsequent failure can take that achievement away. The rubbish served up since he left only serves to show what a great job he did.

This sums it up for me.

And it continues....

Many of the points raised here as to why it stopped working for Johnson were in the original article - lack of planning around signings, inability to handle the bigger egos etc. I'm amongst the most realistic (accepting) and placid of fans and whilst I was one of the last to fall in defending Johnson on forums at the time of his sacking, even I recognised signs that things weren't all as they should be. (Evidence here: http://exiledrobin.blogspot.com/2012/01/back-for-good-magic-johnsons-roundabout.html?spref=tw)

I appreciate everyone's entitled to an opinion and I'm sure there were a few that were doubters even at the high moments but many - almost all of us - weren't & the vast majority (I'd venture 98%+) thought GJ was the best thing that had happened to our club since 1976.

Let's remember even the following season, we were up to 4th in February after winning at Reading (4000 of us Bouncing around the Ground) and in with a real shout of going up. We finished 10th. Under Johnson. Yes OK, he could have strengthened more but wouldn't we all have grasped at that with both hands for the past two seasons???

On Millen - in my view he did a very good job in turning a split, disenchanted squad around at the end of the following season to avoid the drop but should never have been given the second bite.

Archived