IGNORED

Back For Good?

The Exiled Robin

Getting a goal up and then trying to hang on didn't do it for me.........If it did it for you then you are easily pleased.

I don't remember us hanging on when we beat Gillingham 6-0. Or 3-0 up at Walsall. Or 2-0 at home to Sheffield United.

You are just remembering his last 18 months in charge. Wood for the trees.

I don't remember us hanging on when we beat Gillingham 6-0. Or 3-0 up at Walsall. Or 2-0 at home to Sheffield United.

You are just remembering his last 18 months in charge. Wood for the trees.

You've picked out a few rare big wins. I also know we had a great promotion season and an exciting following season that took us to the play-off final, but from over here my lasting memory is always going to be of week after week of us grabbing a goal and then hanging on until the last five minutes of the match when we would inevitably concede. THAT will be my lasting memory I'm afraid because, as you say, it lasted 18 MONTHS!

To be honest for me GJ was a hot-head, arrogant and alot of the time rubbed players/managers/fans up the wrong way............... and i loved it!!!!!!

best 2/3 years in my time supporting city was wen he was there no doubt, promotion/great season in the champ/90 mins from the prem and a great day out at wembely(apart from windass!).

lets face it we aint going to wembely anytime soon or getting near the prem!!

he went a bit crazy at the end and left at the right time, for me GJ = LEGEND!!

CTID!!

The key thing for me in that excellent article is the last paragraph:

It may have tailed off a bit towards the end but the key thing about Johnson's reign was that it was fun. Watching City became fun again. Supporting City became fun again. Every time he spoke he entertained and, until it went wrong, the football entertained too.

I don't know what he's like privately, or to work for, but the public face Johnson put on was immensely likable and most of the players seemed to like him too, at least for a while. Football is really all about entertainment, but its also about pride and Johnson made people proud of the team. Wilson's team played some pretty stuff at times but it was hard to be proud of a team that had millions of pounds thrown at it yet could be humbled by the likes of Bournemouth and Colchester, whilst the players were often to be found embarrassing the club in various local nightspots. Johnson's team wanted to play, they wanted to win, and they wanted to do those things for Bristol City.

I think you've summarised it perfectly there - watching City under Johnson (for the majority of his reign) was fun and there was a sense of pride about everything the club were doing, and players and fans alike all bought into his vision. The buzz has noticeably fizzled out since the back end of his tenure, and I'd love to see it return as BCFC hasn't been quite the same since. I'm hopeful McInnes can bring that feel-good factor back given time.

Gary came to us eager to prove that he could be a success at a bigger club than Yeovil - and he did just that.

Unfortunately beneath the jokey cockernee exterior he was a man with multiple personality defects and chips the size of London on his shoulder. He started to believe his own publicity, fall out with people, reject advice and became set in his ways.

It's the career trajectory of lots of managers to be fair, and although the people I know who worked with Gary say he was a real nightmare, I don't dislike the man and he is obviously a manager of some talent who got us out of the L1 quicksands and gave us the most successful season for nearly three decades.

He now has much to prove again after the Northampton debacle, but I think he'll keep Yeovil up. But then again, I thought Skivo would have done so anyway.

Yeah I find it is quite hard to take to a guy who takes you from the bottom of league 1 to 90 minutes of the Prem. All in under 3 seasons.

Added to that, the fans then turn on him even though he has brought us more success than ever in my lifetime and we as of yet haven't been anywhere near being as close to the top of the table as we were under GJ. His weaknesses in my opinion were the constant failings in the transfer market with strikers and falling out with players too often to the point they turn on him.

Gary Johnson gave a generation of fans (myself included) the best 2-3 seasons we've known. Whilst he lost his way come the end, I will always be grateful for some truly wonderful memories.

Whilst he lost his way come the end - Same could be said about Bristol City since those days under GJ

I do find it worrying how people can slag a man, who got us promotion and one game away from the premier league? Did it really matter how we played? It brought success! Danny Wilson didn't bring us success or entertainment. Gary brought the fans and club together, with the 'bounce' chant, the punch in the air at the end of a win, having banter with fontaine about his terrible scoring record etc.

The guy was fantastic for this club, doesn't matter if it didn't work out at Peterborough or Northampton, he is a legend at Bristol City FC and always will be.

You've picked out a few rare big wins. I also know we had a great promotion season and an exciting following season that took us to the play-off final, but from over here my lasting memory is always going to be of week after week of us grabbing a goal and then hanging on until the last five minutes of the match when we would inevitably concede. THAT will be my lasting memory I'm afraid because, as you say, it lasted 18 MONTHS!

It did last a while but even then the results were average until the last few months when it was desperate. I still think he would of kept us up but obviously it was a downward sprial and a change was needed.

Even in that 18 month period, we had a long time of not losing at home (or losing one game) which isn't bad. Compared to what we went through with Millen, I don't think it was that bad. He had his weaknesses but overall did a great job.

I think it is sad if your lasting memory is of that, as for me it will always be Rotherham and Palace home.

<br />Just my opinion that's all and not that different from other some of the other posters on this thread and yet you pick out my thread as the one to slate.<br /><br /><br /><br />

It's not the opinion, it's the tedious bitterness and predictability of anything you post in a thread that relates to Gary Johnson. Everyone knows you hate him, which i don't have a problem with, but the responses are just so obvious that it's boring now.

Great article.

Like all managers - bar maybe Fergie - the wheels eventually fell off the Johnson wagon at City. But I'm struggling to think of many highs in the past 30 years to beat those that Johnson and his side offered up.

Some, of course, no one at Anfield when we beat Liverpool would forget that...but I can think of no other experience of City consistently exceeding our expectations. Never before, or since, have I been envied by fans of other clubs because my team is doing so well. Never, before or since, was it such good fun to follow City home and away. I'm sure there are fans from the 70s who have better memories but for most at the Gate it didn't get much better than the Johnson era.

I'm not sure how any subsequent failure can take that achievement away. The rubbish served up since he left only serves to show what a great job he did.

I'm not sure how any subsequent failure can take that achievement away. The rubbish served up since he left only serves to show what a great job he did.

Johnson had two good seasons. Promotion, and on the back of that momentum the play-off final. After that is was awful. In fact the signs of Johnson's limitations were there during the play-off season. How many 1-0 wins was it that season? The same dull approach didn't pay off the following season and the season after that he lost the plot and left the club.

I understand how some of the younger supporters see him as some kind of messiah but they weren't around in the day of Dicks, Cooper and Jordan. All better managers than Johnson.

Not worthy of another thread (although I know some would take the opportunity) but I notice that Kelly Youga has signed for Yeovil until the EOS.

By all accounts, Youga was (allegedly) the subject of GJs tantrum that led to Marcus Stewart calling him a 'Conference' manager.

BCAGFC

Johnson had two good seasons. Promotion, and on the back of that momentum the play-off final. After that is was awful. In fact the signs of Johnson's limitations were there during the play-off season. How many 1-0 wins was it that season? The same dull approach didn't pay off the following season and the season after that he lost the plot and left the club.

I understand how some of the younger supporters see him as some kind of messiah but they weren't around in the day of Dicks, Cooper and Jordan. All better managers than Johnson.

agreed - but they were two of the best seasons in the club's history.

Can't disagree that Dicks, Cooper and Jordan were better and more sophisticated managers. But for me that makes Johnson's success the more remarkable.

In answer to your question , 7.

Away to Sheff Weds

Home to Stoke

Away to Charlton

Home to Cardiff

Away to Burnley

Home to Blackpool

Away to S****horpe

All good results , I'm sure you would agree.

I agree with one or two of the posters on this thread. Danny Wilson provided more entertaining football than Gary Johnson - easily.

I'm not on about his last season, but the season prior to that. We scored loads of goals and constantly tried to attack. It was that openness that prompted Wilson to try and tighten things up the following season.

If I remember rightly didn't we also go on winning runs that equaled or nearly beat the record number of wins in a row? I can't remember Gary Johson sides doing that.

Admittedly Gary Johnson done exactly what was required, but did I particulary enjoy the football....no, but did I enjoy the atmosphere he brought to the club....yes !

Say what you like about him but i loved his time here and will always cherish the promotion season and the season after fondly we had some cracking results with him, anyway without GJ we'd still be visting Hartlepool away on a cold and wet tuesday night in december and nobody wants that!!!!!

That sums it for me. GJ is a flawed character in many ways, but never forget what he achieved for our club. He took us up to a higher level which we have (just about) maintained ever since he left. And he did have a great rapport with us fans.

Who can forget "Johnson Says, Bounce around the Stands" ?

Personally i wish him well for the rest of his career.

That sums it for me. GJ is a flawed character in many ways, but never forget what he achieved for our club. He took us up to a higher level which we have (just about) maintained ever since he left. And he did have a great rapport with us fans.

Who can forget "Johnson Says, Bounce around the Stands" ?

Personally i wish him well for the rest of his career.

You can, apparently.laugh.gif

Archived