IGNORED

Who Will Miss Ag?

BS4 on Tour...

Dear all,

Great news about the new stadium and all that, but am already feeling a bit strange because I know I miss Ashton Gate like mad.

Of course we can't live in the past and we need to move on to a bigger facility to take this club forward but AG has been such a huge part of my life and I feel like I grew up in the East End as it was after venturing into it as an eleven year old after doing my apprenticeship in the schoolboys enclosure at the front of the Dolman.

Evening games were superb back then as we were all tightly packed into the dark terrace preparing to give the opposition goalkeeper dog's abuse as he dared to jog towards us!

And woe betide any away team player with links to the Roverzzzzz!

I soon graduated into The Enclosure at the front of the Williams where the atmosphere was superb as well with non stop vocal encouragement for the chaps!

Depending on the away team I sometimes went into the old Park End to enjoy the 'friendly' banter with those who had travelled to stand on the away terrace at the Open End.

For big games and some mediocre ones we find it easy to fill The Gate, I just hope we can do the same at our new home. Brand new soulless grounds are depressing enough, but ones that are only half full are the pits!

Anyway, enough of my misty eyed nostalgia!

We do need to move on but I will never forget Ashton Gate.....

Mixed feelings, everyone will miss the gate but if AV is anything like as good as it looks in the planning pictures then it will be fantastic. I think people can be a bit too sentimental at times. The bottom line is we need more renenue from corporate cumtomers and the stadium will go a long way to help the club be financially viable. Definitely need to stay up now, hopefully the news will inspire the team to perform (?)

Dear all,

Great news about the new stadium and all that, but am already feeling a bit strange because I know I miss Ashton Gate like mad.

Of course we can't live in the past and we need to move on to a bigger facility to take this club forward but AG has been such a huge part of my life and I feel like I grew up in the East End as it was after venturing into it as an eleven year old after doing my apprenticeship in the schoolboys enclosure at the front of the Dolman.

Evening games were superb back then as we were all tightly packed into the dark terrace preparing to give the opposition goalkeeper dog's abuse as he dared to jog towards us!

And woe betide any away team player with links to the Roverzzzzz!

I soon graduated into The Enclosure at the front of the Williams where the atmosphere was superb as well with non stop vocal encouragement for the chaps!

Depending on the away team I sometimes went into the old Park End to enjoy the 'friendly' banter with those who had travelled to stand on the away terrace at the Open End.

For big games and some mediocre ones we find it easy to fill The Gate, I just hope we can do the same at our new home. Brand new soulless grounds are depressing enough, but ones that are only half full are the pits!

Anyway, enough of my misty eyed nostalgia!

We do need to move on but I will never forget Ashton Gate.....

Any idea when it would be open for business?

As a kid growing up in the sticks, days out to Ashton Gate were the happiest days of my childhood.

I would walk around the ground 3 or 4 times admiring every nook and cranny like some kind of holy shrine. The 4 huge floodlight pylons, what seemed miles of painted red corrugated iron, the glimpse through the corners to the pitch and the massive cigar advertising boards.

When I had paid my 70p and got in, the walk up to the terracing and the first real sight of the inside of the stadium felt like I was running out to play, heart beating fast and unbelievably excited.....and that was about 1.30pm.

Later in life when I lived and worked nearby, I looked back and laughed at how much I worshipped that stadium but the truth is I still do.

Yes I will miss it but onwards and upwards I suppose.

I think we'll all miss ashton gate...

To be honest, the club needs a new stadium but I'm not sure if its for me - fully expecting to have a season in there and be bored out my tree....

Just gonna hope its not like most of the new soul less stadiums...

Wonder if they plan to auction of all the seats and turf etc - need new seats for the gardens and a bit of turf

was just going to say the same thing. I would love a seat and some turf. They could gift the money raised to local grass roots football development

After 40 years of walking down Raynes Road, I will always miss our 'old' ground (how odd does it feel to type that!) and cherish some really great memories.

Still onwards and upwards. Sanity has won out and today's news is a tremendous boost for the club.

Good job I never got my dad's ashes scattered at AG though. Would've hated him to end up under aisle 18 or whatever!

Impossible not to miss it, we've had some great times at the Gate, most of us went to see our first game there. It's got character and AV will take a while to get that character. If it's anything on the AmEx stadium though it'll be incredible.

I'll miss it hugely, been going there for 25 years and i still always, always, get a buzz going up to my seat in the Williams, firstly glimpsing the dolman, then whole stadium coming into view, then the pitch, love it. i will shed a tear the day we leave,100%.

But its time to move on, if the club wants to go forward we have to move.

Can't wait for the new stadium,we need to move to progress.but I have been going to Ashton gate since I was ten when i used to go with my late father.first game was reserve game against southampton.a week later my first game was against west brom who we beat 3.1.they had the great johny Giles playing for them.I am 45 now,but because of those memories,it will break my heart at the last game there.

Archived