IGNORED

Who Will Miss Ag?

BS4 on Tour...

After 40 years of walking down Raynes Road, I will always miss our 'old' ground (how odd does it feel to type that!) and cherish some really great memories.

Still onwards and upwards. Sanity has won out and today's news is a tremendous boost for the club.

Good job I never got my dad's ashes scattered at AG though. Would've hated him to end up under aisle 18 or whatever!

Funny I was thinking much the same thing. David Lloyd tells me there will be a place at the new ground for memorials etc, so I'll hang on to dad until its built!!

This is a tremendous boost for all of us at the club particularly in view of our current form, perhaps this will help get some focus back for the playersm, fans and officials of the club. Relegation is not an option as it would almost certainly damage the prospect of the stadium!! Also big up to SL for keeping faith when many of us have waivered.

As for AG. Yes I will miss it! however it has not been the same place since the home support were told they no longer stood on the East End, AG has been declining steadily since then and despite many many many great and not so great memories its time has finally come...

My first game was in 1976. CRAMMED into the old (standing only) Enclosure - which is now the lower end of the Williams when we were playing the (then) all conquering Leeds side built by Don Revie. Since then I have variously seen games on all four sides of the ground, but for the past many years I have been a STH in the Dolman.

Like many others on this thread, of course I will miss AG, but it is definitely time to move on into a facility which is fit for the 21st century.

My Dad used to take me as a kid - parking up in Carrington Road where an Aunt lived, and after a flying visit to her walked down to Ashton Gate. I first sat in the Dolman Stand - and watched us lose 2-1. The second time we played Sunderland - and won 3-1 (I think). Over time I stood in the Enclosure, Stood in the East End, sat in The Grandstand and stood in the Open End, before swapping the East End for the Atyeo. Fantastic memories (the night we beat Pompey to get promoted to the top flight), the night we beat Liverpool to help us stay up in that first season in Divison 1. The foggy afternoon v Leeds, the depressing slide back to Divsion 4. Jordan, Rennie, Cooper, McLaren, Gavin and Smiffy with Rob and Bob leading the line. Pulling my hair out, beside myself with Joy, fury at inept players who weren't fit to wear the shirt.

I have huge and very colourful memories of Ashton Gate.... and hey... it ain't over yet.

I'll never forget marc goodfellow's header towards the atyeo, the ground shook! What a great night that was. However, the semi final leg with palace has to be the best for me, I just remember everyone taking their shirts off and swinging them above their heads whilst bouncing!

I'll never forget marc goodfellow's header towards the atyeo, the ground shook! What a great night that was. However, the semi final leg with palace has to be the best for me, I just remember everyone taking their shirts off and swinging them above their heads whilst bouncing!

That was great, but I reckon it was beaten (just) by the League 1 play-off semi-final 2nd leg v Hartlepool when I feared the Dolman was going to collapse. Because everyone (that's about 6000 in that stand) was jumping up and down, the concrete under our feet was shaking like we were experiencing an earthquake.

Louis Carey recently said that game was the best atmosphere he had ever experienced at the Gate.

Unfortunately, we all remember what happened in the final. That's football !

Money making opportunity for the club! When the East End is demolished, they could sell off chunks of terracing for us fans to install in our gardens.

Idle thought, go back to the early days when Bristol South End merged with Bedminster. Did the fans then want to leave St John's Lane and move to AG?

I'll miss it, and notwithstanding I appreciate all the arguments for the move, the cynic in me is apprehensive about a sub 10k crowd rattling about a 30k cookie-cutter bowl. Plus, on a selfish personal level, it doubles my walk to the ground from where I stay when in Bristol.

Like other posters, I have worked out which bits I have been in, and made it :

sat in the Directors' Box on my first visit in 1976 (abandoned Leeds match),

stood on the East End (random pick: Forest, League Cup semi)

sat in the East End (1-4 spanking home to Forest with ThatBlokeBehindMe bleating that Collymore is crap and only scores tap-ins, just as he smacked one home)

stood on the Enclosure (0-0 v Fulham in 1982)

sat in the Lower Williams (miserable Easter w/e 0-0 v West Brom)

sat in the Upper Williams (somehow losing to Matt Jackson's strike for Everton in the cup)

stood on the Open End (end of season v Brentford to send them down)

stood on the Away End (long story: gas-supporting dad took me to watch Rovers play a game there when Eastville got torched),

sat in the Ateyo (missing Blackpool's goal after 12 seconds of the season due to putting my programme under my seat)

stood on the Schoolboy Enclosure (all manner of lower league dross in the early 80s)

sat in the Dolman (watching Murray latch onto a lost cause of a ball and cross for Goater v the gas)

sat in the Family Enclosure (where my ST presently is) (reducing my 4 year old niece to tears home to Watford in 1998 by not letting her go down to the mascot: blame City and their 1-4 capitulation)

there will definitely be more than just a tear in my eye when we come to play the last game at the gate. just thinking back now the League Cup Semi final V Forest, beating Walsall to clinch promotion and beating Chelsea in the cup all stand out. i just hope the new stadium at Ashton Vale is just as eventful and memorable.

there will definitely be more than just a tear in my eye when we come to play the last game at the gate. just thinking back now the League Cup Semi final V Forest, beating Walsall to clinch promotion and beating Chelsea in the cup all stand out. i just hope the new stadium at Ashton Vale is just as eventful and memorable.

For me the Chelsea result and the Donowa derby stand out more than any other games

I'm worried that the first people to miss Ashton Gate will be fans of Derby, Middlesborough, Brighton, Palace, Cardiff, Leeds, Ipswich and a few other clubs next season! :shocking:

Forgot to add that for probably most of us, Ashton Gate is a major part of our right of passage from childhood to adolescence to adulthood. For the lucky few, also seeing your own offspring go through the same emotions as we all did back in the day.

There are few things that will better the moment when I pressed through the crowds at the 3rd round FA Cup tie with Southampton back in 1967 to see the AG pitch for the first time. Or the first time I went to night match, walking down alongside the river and seeing the floodlights shining down from a distance away created a unique atmosphere. Finally I was there the night we gained promotion to the old first division. I have lived away for many years now, so my visits to AG have been few and far between in recent years, but as soon as I enter the ground those memories flood back as though they were yesterday.

For many of us leaving Ashton Gate will be a sad affair because of the memories the old ground holds for us, but a new generation of City fans will grow up and their memories will be built at Ashton Vale. Rest assured, in 30/40 years time I am certain they will then look back at AV with the same affection as we have for Ashton Gate.

When i was younger Ashton gate was my second home. I remember standing in the childrens inclouser in frount the old stand(where the Dolman is now. Watching Stanley Matthews trying to get the better of Mike Thresher.

Standing behind the goal in the open end v Ipswich, John Atyeo last game, with minutes to spare as his 350th goal for the club went in, Seating in the Williams one windy night when Ray Cashley scored his goal.Being in the East End in the 60's mixing it with Cardiff, Blackburn and Walsall fans. Running on the pitch as we won promotion. I could go on and on, so yes i will miss Ashton Gate, but i have loads of happy memorys, some not so good. But the time is right to move into Ashotn Vale.

I'll miss it, but it changed for ever for me when the old flood lights were taken down. The best flood lights in the country that added character and indiviuality to the ground and could be seen for miles around. I'll miss the view from the Dolman and the old atmosphere from Block B from yesti year but its consigned to history only replicated twice in recent times v Hatlepool and Palace. And may be the 3-2 game on sky v the gas before Christmas, quite a few years ago now.

Thanks for the memories but time to move on and create some new ones.

I miss it already!

I've got quite a few mates who are Cardiff fans and they are constantly harping on about how "it's not the same" etc etc

As a matter of interest Wolfie, are your mates older fans or younger ones? I'm wondering whether younger fans see the new stadium in a different light from the older ones.

I imagine anyone who's been to Ninian would miss it in a way, class ground for away fans.

Absolutely. Cardiff away is nothing like as good now in the new plastic bowl. As shit as Ninian was that's what made it good, all crammed in the away end shoulder to shoulder, actually able to make a decent noise. Not even close to enough away games like that anymore.

I remember standing on a small wooden box, on the halfway line, behind the player’s tunnel, against the back wall in the enclosure. There used to be an area in the Grandstand for visiting directors, which was situated directly behind this wall.

During the late 1960’s, we played Fulham, who had been previously relegated from the top flight. Johnny Haynes, would have been at the end of his career may have played, I don’t remember, but, we won 6-0 I think.

Who was sat right behind me in the visiting director’s area? Tommy Trinder (catchphrase ‘You lucky people’). After we were 4 goals or so up, I looked over my shoulder to see what he was doing, he was sat with overcoat, hat, and scarf on, hunched forward, he looked at me smiled and winked.

Memories from/of this ground will stay with me for the rest of my days.

There will be a lot of History gone when Ashton Gate goes. Not all just football.

International Rugby , The All Blacks, the Welsh Rugby cup final. Bristol v Bath . American football. Floodlite cricket . The Rolling stones, The Who, Billy Graham, All in the Game .

A hell of a lot have happens in that ground in over 100 years!

Cardiff fan here, good news for you with regards the possible all clear on the village green business. Ninian park for me will always be missed, im 25 so not one of the older generation although am starting to feel it :) but I still did call the place a second home for 18 years or so. Will always miss standing on the bob bank terrace with my dad and uncle, the atmosphere at times was just literally a couple of hours of sheer madness. Many happy memories there, and many sad of course, spent most of my time there watching us in the bottom two divisions. I miss the place and the character it had but for the club to progress and compete at the highest possible level it can then we needed a new ground.

The new ground provides better facilities for all, the increase in capacity has helped increase our average gate and helped to attract a lot more families. The way the away end is cut off from the rest of the ground helps to diffuse trouble at games where before it would be inevitable, I would like to think this overall helps bring down policing costs etc.

There are things I don't necessarily like about the ground, the atmosphere at times hasn't quite clicked just yet, I am not a huge fan of all of the outside design and I feel the switching of the family stand and grange end so that the family stand is next to the away fans hasn't helped the atmosphere.

As much as I miss the old place though I don't think I would want the club to go back permanently, the increase in revenue and fans was needed and the potential of the club with the new place is a lot higher than without. New memories are being formed at the CCS, the Leicester games in the league and play offs, the Palace League cup semi and games against Swansea have been great atmospheres to rival any at Ninian Park in my recent memory.

Sad to see houses built where it once stood but I can always recall my memories. You will miss Ashton Gate of course, even I might a little but over time the new place will start to grow on you, just takes a while.

Will mis Ashton Gate 100%. Memories of the 2 play off semi final 2n leg wins were terrific, when we came back against a premier league Middlesbrough side and Super Scotty Murray scored that wonder lob and celebrated right in front of me in dolman! Not to mention getting promoted, 3-1 against Rotherham and the pitch invasion that followed. Yes, they're all fairly recent but I'm a young fan and that's the memories that stick out for me!

Archived