IGNORED

It Starts At The Top!

frenchred

I thought Scott Davidson did OK as Chairman given that he had no where near the personal wealth of Steve Lansdown. As for Joe Stalin leader of the Red Army, he industrialized Russia and turned it from being a largely backward country into a world super power in less than 30 years. What Stalin did for Russia would be like taking this club from its current lowly Championship position into being Premier League and European Champions. :cool:

Stalin? Good grief I've heard everything now. Good old, kindly Uncle Joe eh? OK, for a brief period he was our enemy's enemy but can we just also remember that he was a thug, tyrant, dictator, despot, and a mass-murderer who subjugated half a continent?

Stalin? Good grief I've heard everything now. Good old, kindly Uncle Joe eh? OK, for a brief period he was our enemy's enemy but can we just also remember that he was a thug, tyrrant, dictator, despot, and a mass-murderer who subjugated half a continent?

I wasn't the first to mention Uncle Joe Stalin on this thread. :whistle: From 1941-45, our own country - Great Britain - as well as the United States of America were supplying his Soviet regime with truely massive amounts of food, armaments and munitions as well as intelligence information. In return his Red Army were able to destroy the bulk of Germany's finest mechanized divisions in the East.

Anyway, back to topic.......frenchred's original post is largely spot on - unfortunately !!!!!!

Let's be honest lansdowns managerial appoints have been mostly misses. Johnson was a success but tinnion, coppell, Millen, mcinnes all have been pretty damn awful. I've always wondered why during the process of choosing a new manager someone like Scott Murray doesn't sit in on the meetings.

Lansdown has to been too loyal to certain personel which has come back to bite him on the ass (as was Johnson to certain players) Tinnion should never have been appointed, Johnson should have gone earlier, Millen should never have been appointed in fact he should have gone with Johnson and Sexstone should never have been made chairman.

I have no doubt that these decisions were made with the best interests of the club, and I'm sure lansdown is hating this as much as the rest of us.

Millen's contract didn't change at all. He didn't even get a pay rise, his job title was promoted that's all.

I hate those people that blame Lansdown. You look around football at the moment and see all these clubs, close to going bust and entering adminstration. Yes, he has made a few mistakes, he himself admitted that at the end of the last season, but I sure as hell wouldn't want many other people in charge of our club (genuine billionaires are welcome though ;) ). SL loves the club and isn't using it as a toy like a lot of owners nowadays. He's never gave up hope with the new stadium, and most other men would have by now, due to our country's sh** government, frequently holding back everything.

Nobody complained about Coppell at the time of his appointment and I don't recall anybody complaining about Millen. As a chairman, he was prepared to give managers time to change things around, again this is the complete opposite to most chairmen these days (see Abramovich) and I respect him for that.

Now I'm not saying Lansdown isn't partly to blame, as he himself would probably agree, but if I were him and saw some posts by people on here, I'd want to pack up and leave straight away. Without Lansdown, this club dies ffs.

I wasn't the first to mention Uncle Joe Stalin on this thread. :whistle: From 1941-45, our own country - Great Britain - as well as the United States of America were supplying his Soviet regime with truely massive amounts of food, armaments and munitions as well as intelligence information. In return his Red Army were able to destroy the bulk of Germany's finest mechanized divisions in the East.

Anyway, back to topic.......frenchred's original post is largely spot on - unfortunately !!!!!!

Agreed about the original post - unfortunately I can't see a solution. Steve can't sell and get any money back, who would want to buy anyway and we seem to have problems everywhere. The OP doesn't even mention our seemingly poor academy/youth development and shocking scouting. Once here players never seem to improve, only get worse, indicating something wrong on the coaching side.

Well and truly FUBARred!

(BTW: admirable self restraint with the Stalin thing - I was hoping for a full blooded rant in reply as a kind of pick-me-up after all the depressing football schtick).

Nobody complained about Coppell at the time of his appointment and I don't recall anybody complaining about Millen. As a chairman, he was prepared to give managers time to change things around, again this is the complete opposite to most chairmen these days (see Abramovich) and I respect him for that.

Now I'm not saying Lansdown isn't partly to blame, as he himself would probably agree, but if I were him and saw some posts by people on here, I'd want to pack up and leave straight away. Without Lansdown, this club dies ffs.

Nobody was going to complain about the appointment of Coppell at the time but there were a few posts to the effect that he'd dropped a few other clubs in the shit by walking out. Where was Coppell pre season - on holiday in the USA ???!!!!...plenty of posts about that. Steve Lansdown has pumped plenty of money into the club but apart from 3 seasons under Gary Johnson and a brief spell with Danny Wilson we've not done much on the football field given the money spent. So, about 4 good seasons out of 12 with Steve Lansdown at the helm.

And what's your point ?

Millen should have foregone a couple of years of his contract in order to be manager for 12 months ?

Back in the real world....

Shouldn't have been millens choice. Keith Millen 3 year contrAct Bristol City Manager

That decision looks even more laughable now.

Millen's contract didn't change at all. He didn't even get a pay rise, his job title was promoted that's all.

I hate those people that blame Lansdown. You look around football at the moment and see all these clubs, close to going bust and entering adminstration. Yes, he has made a few mistakes, he himself admitted that at the end of the last season, but I sure as hell wouldn't want many other people in charge of our club (genuine billionaires are welcome though ;) ). SL loves the club and isn't using it as a toy like a lot of owners nowadays. He's never gave up hope with the new stadium, and most other men would have by now, due to our countires shit government, frequently holding back everything.

You've got a really poor memory, many posters were upset and bewildered by Millen's appointment and said so straightaway.

As for SL, he's stated many times he will never leave the club in the lurch and will only go if he finds a suitable buyer, so the club will certainly not 'die' if he goes.

I don't recall anybody complaining about Millen. As a chairman, he was prepared to give managers time to change things around, again this is the complete opposite to most chairmen these days (see Abramovich) and I respect him for that.

Don't recall anyone complaining about Millen???

Maybe you didn't read the forum for about 18 months?

If the club dies without Lansdown then he's done an appalling job of getting it to stand on its own feet - which was, I seem to recall, the strategy in the days when the club spoke about such things.

Agreed about the original post - unfortunately I can't see a solution. Steve can't sell and get any money back, who would want to buy anyway and we seem to have problems everywhere. The OP doesn't even mention our seemingly poor academy/youth development and shocking scouting. Once here players never seem to improve, only get worse, indicating something wrong on the coaching side.

Well and truly FUBARred!

(BTW: admirable self restraint with the Stalin thing - I was hoping for a full blooded rant in reply as a kind of pick-me-up after all the depressing football schtick).

As for the much vaunted BCFC academy - yes not even mentioned - a bit of a disaster considering that one decent looking product of it - Joe Bryan - hasn't been blooded since the Leicester home game. As for a full blooded World War 2 rant - there are too many brain washed types that'll hit the report button - unless you want me banned again. :rofl2br:

Very true - but it won't stop people scratching around for someone to blame, including biting the hand that feeds this club.

Its laughable really - some people have only just woken up to the fact that we are in a relegation fight now we are in the bottom three, and largely ignored the dire form and lack of points up till now.

I feel yet another forum bandwagon gathering momentum.

The hand that feeds this club is the supporters. We were there in the darkest days and we'd be there in whatever dark days are ahead. Lansdown will be long gone when we're still watching.

He's a custodian of something that really means something to us...which is why he should be held to account. He's made all the decisions and not delivered. In truth there is no mechanism for holding any of the Board to account. And they all owe their positions to Steve Lansdown. If this forum is the only criticism they get they're doing well after the shambles of the past couple of seasons.

He controls the whole set up. He takes the credit when things go well and so yes, if we are performing poorly he takes the blame. A number of posters have been saying this since the inexplicable Millen appointment. It's not a recent thing. And it's criticism you make with your tin hat to hand...

At the time of his appointment.

I for one was horrified...as bad a moment as the moment I heard Tinnion had the job. There were people who wished him well but had doubts, there were many people wishing him gone by Christmas. There were others who - if believed - would still be giving him time.

As for the much vaunted BCFC academy - yes not even mentioned - a bit of a disaster considering that one decent looking product of it - Joe Bryan - hasn't been blooded since the Leicester home game. As for a full blooded World War 2 rant - there are too many brain washed types that'll hit the report button - unless you want me banned again. :rofl2br:

Apologies - certainly not an aim and didn't know you had been. Very disappointed if that stuff gets reported and is the reason for a ban. Personally I'm a Disraeli-style 'One Nation Tory' but I've always enjoyed your posts and the knock-about fun that goes with them. Sadly the world seems mainly grey coloured these days and getting greyer....

Apologies - certainly not an aim and didn't know you had been. Very disappointed if that stuff gets reported and is the reason for a ban. Personally I'm a Disraeli-style 'One Nation Tory' but I've always enjoyed your posts and the knock-about fun that goes with them. Sadly the world seems mainly grey coloured these days and getting greyer....

I was banned for 6 months, indeed it's not just this forum but the whole of Europe that's under EU control that's getting greyer. Individualism is being stiffled by people that are nobodies in the greater scheme of things. I see the Disraeli-style 'One Nation Tory' ideology as good considering the mess the country is currently in - try to bring the country together as the party of 'One Nation' reflecting the 'Whole Nation' and a country outside the yoke of the hopelessly corrupt and criminal led European Union project. :englandsmile4wf:

I note that our BCFC leader - Steve Lansdown - has opted to reside on an island - Guernsey - that's not part of the EU project. :rofl2br:

I was banned for 6 months, indeed it's not just this forum but the whole of Europe that's under EU control that's getting greyer. Individualism is being stiffled by people that are nobodies in the greater scheme of things. I see the Disraeli-style 'One Nation Tory' ideology as good considering the mess the country is currently in - try to bring the country together as the party of 'One Nation' reflecting the 'Whole Nation' and a country outside the yoke of the hopelessly corrupt and criminal led European Union project. :englandsmile4wf:

I note that our BCFC leader - Steve Lansdown - has opted to reside on an island - Guernsey - that's not part of the EU project. :rofl2br:

Crikey - just goes to show how observant me and Disraeli are!

Sorry to here all that. I can only offer you a motto I have chosen to live by: nil illegitimi carborundum.

Japan has a no-immigration policy, you hardly ever hear of the Japanese as being racists of fascists for wanting to preserve their culture and history on a small over crowded Island moving forward together. I would say they have a better more caring society than us, are certainly technologically and economically better off than us and probably have a better future ahead of them.

Japan has a no-immigration policy, you hardly ever hear of the Japanese as being racists of fascists for wanting to preserve their culture and history on a small over crowded Island moving forward together. I would say they have a better more caring society than us, are certainly technologically and economically better off than us and probably have a better future ahead of them.

Excellent post and very true.

I thought Scott Davidson did OK as Chairman given that he had no where near the personal wealth of Steve Lansdown. As for Joe Stalin leader of the Red Army, he industrialized Russia and turned it from being a largely backward country into a world super power in less than 30 years. What Stalin did for Russia would be like taking this club from its current lowly Championship position into being Premier League and European Champions. :cool:

That Mussolini was a good bloke as well, made the trains run on time he did. De Canio rates him.

That Mussolini was a good bloke as well, made the trains run on time he did. De Canio rates him.

Continuing with World War 2 leaders we have Herr Adolf Hitler that took Germany from the aftermath of World War 1 defeat and the equivalent of Div 2 obscurity in 1918; up to ruling Continental Europe from 1940-44 - the equivalent of Premier League and European Champions; and back down to the equivalent of Div 2 by May 1945 with the total defeat of his 3rd Reich. :icecream:

Excellent post and very true.

Except that Japan is a basket case, economically speaking. They are a bug in search of a windshield. Their future is on a par with Greece or worse.

Oh, and that other paragon of economic fortitude China, is also totally fubar (as it stands today. May change tomorrow!)

CHARISMA

That's what's lacking at both football clubs.

Lansdown, Higgs, Laycock, Dunford, Sexton, why are they all dull grey men ?

Is it the smug Bristol small town syndrome ?

Is it this secretive Merchant Venturer type culture ?

Football should be an open, exciting, entertainment business but something is missing here ?

Except that Japan is a basket case, economically speaking. They are a bug in search of a windshield. Their future is on a par with Greece or worse.

Oh, and that other paragon of economic fortitude China, is also totally fubar (as it stands today. May change tomorrow!)

Japan is certainly no 'basket case'. Even with their current economic problems they are still one of the world's leading economies The Japanese are world leaders in micro technology and electronics, their train system is the best and fastest in the world and their education system is second to none. I'd put the Japanese economy as the best and most disciplined in the world.

They have the wonderful advantage of not belonging to the EU so can make their own laws and decide their own immigration policy.

Archived