IGNORED

Cole Skuse - Outstanding.

Robbored

I accept your point EMB, but in the last three games, we've scored three against a poor Coventry side( could and should have had more), put two against the best home side in the division( and should have scored more) and scored a against the best away side in the division( and Wood should have scored another), so for all the talk of a need for a creative midfielder, in recent games, we haven't lacked creativity but more importantly, we haven't lacked solidity.

Yes of course there has been a distinct all round improvement but be honest would you really want to go into next season with the same midfield?

Hmm, I seem to remember you saying you wanted a manager who's had championship experience and wanted Dave Jones? Apologies if i've gotten it wrong.

Biggest critic to Del was Matty H! He was very against the appointment. Shame he is banned from the forum these days, otherwise we could read a change of opinion from him.

You must have me confused with someone else mate. I never wanted DJ or anyone else for that matter. I've always been fully supprtive of Del's appointment.

Yes of course there has been a distinct all round improvement but be honest would you really want to go into next season with the same midfield?

Honestly?

Skuse and Cisse coupled with a couple of potent and consistent wingers, would do me fine.

He was excellent today and has been strong the past few games. I am sure the MOTM award was a typo and it was meant to be 14 rather than 4.

He's had small purple patches like this before, the challenge for him is to keep it up for the next two games and then start next season like it.

I have to say that I have been a critic of Skuse in the past but hats off tonight . Possibly his best ever performance for us. Went for every 50-50 like his life depended on it. Also thought Bolasie was great ! He drew 2 bookings from their back 4 and at times had 3 of them trying to cover his runs. Just need to go into the next game with the same attitude and we're there.

For me , we really need to sort out the full back issue in the summer. Our wide midfield players of Pearson , Adomah and Bolasie often have to play too deep because they are having to protect our full backs, particularly McGivern. Get the full backs right and our midfield can start to attack more and defend less. Albert has been looking burnt out for weeks now largely due to every run down the flank having to start from the edge of his own box!

I'm no Brian Clough nor have seen Bristol City more than once this season (see previous thread; thanks to responders btw, appreciated)....but always thought the sign of a top player is how much time he seems to have on the ball over those around him.

Skuse in the game I came to, home to Coventry last week, was that.

Been following City's results and those around them since that game took son to (read son pestering me for results since), so nice one on looking like staying up!! Not to curse you or anything....

iv brought a fair amount of people to ashton gate over the years. most of them with no allegiance to the city.

and my best too mates agree with what you say, kicks the ball with both feet, how rares that .would tackle a brick wall,hes also calm under presure.

got the best engine in the club. play any position for the team. hell if he could score a few more he might not be a bad player!

Now that he finally has a decent manager to teach him how to play it looks like he is improving every game.

How patronising is that?

Skuse has always been a good player as consequetive City managers have shown by selecting him game after game. Form is temporary, class is perminent.

Last night he showed how good he can be but like all players needs to find and maintain a high level of consistency.

A real spine down the middle has come in since our run and Skuse has been a key part of that. Gerken , Amougou. Skuse and Stead have added some quality and, above all, determination. They just need to finish the job on Saturday. It's a pity our goal difference is so poor otherwise we would only need the one point rather than the 3 to guarantee safety.

A real spine down the middle has come in since our run and Skuse has been a key part of that. Gerken , Amougou. Skuse and Stead have added some quality and, above all, determination. They just need to finish the job on Saturday. It's a pity our goal difference is so poor otherwise we would only need the one point rather than the 3 to guarantee safety.

only 2 needed mate

Skuse was magnificent tonight, hard to see why he gets so much shit on here, yet successive PROFESSIONAL managers seem to think he is key to a working Bristol City team - I know whose opinion I hold in greater esteem.....

How patronising is that?

Skuse has always been a good player as consequetive City managers have shown by selecting him game after game.

Indeed. Tinnion gave him a debut at 19; Coppell made him captain; an automatic choice under Millen; McInnes couldnt wait to get him fit and back into the team; only under Johnson was he often a sub in competition for just one central midfield position.......

A Reading scout with longstanding Bristol City ties told me recently that he recommended Skuse to them while they were in the Premier League.

Those are the opinions of people that know what they are talking about. What a lot of people dont see is Skuuuuse' work rate; he rarely gives the ball away, his first touch is superb and he tackles like a demon. My only criticism of him in the past is that I dont think he has taken control of the game and drive forward in the way which I think he is capable of. There are signs recently he is doing that which is going to make him the complete central midfield player.

In all carey fairness i am sure it has its nice points like the village green for example with those lightning struck ash trees or that little row of shops where the glue gun sniffers hang out of a friday night.

actually thats a bit unfair.. i heard tis alright.

Yate, twinned with the moon....

If Mcinnes can help him to add the final ball to his game he will be an absolutely fantastic player, as thats the only thing he doesnt have, he can see the passes which is the part that can't be taught, he just can't quite execute them all of the time.

Have to agree that last night he was absolutely fantastic, he reads the game so well and his engine is like nothing i've ever seen.

Indeed. Tinnion gave him a debut at 19; Coppell made him captain; an automatic choice under Millen; McInnes couldnt wait to get him fit and back into the team; only under Johnson was he often a sub in competition for just one central midfield position.......

A Reading scout with longstanding Bristol City ties told me recently that he recommended Skuse to them while they were in the Premier League.

Those are the opinions of people that know what they are talking about. What a lot of people dont see is Skuuuuse' work rate; he rarely gives the ball away, his first touch is superb and he tackles like a demon. My only criticism of him in the past is that I dont think he has taken control of the game and drive forward in the way which I think he is capable of. There are signs recently he is doing that which is going to make him the complete central midfield player.

I think the main reason we've seen him driving forward of late is he has a partner with positional sense and discipline... Attributes his previous partner, Marvin Elliot, doesn't have.

With the protection of Cisse, Skuse has the opportunity to press higher up the pitch and effect the game more. He is a proper box to box player, much better than Elliot.

I think the main reason we've seen him driving forward of late is he has a partner with positional sense and discipline... Attributes his previous partner, Marvin Elliot, doesn't have.

With the protection of Cisse, Skuse has the opportunity to press higher up the pitch and effect the game more. He is a proper box to box player, much better than Elliot.

Good point, spot on.

Skuse's improved form is more likely down to Elliot's absence than the 'guidence' of a manager who played in midfield himself. A manager who until he joined City many of us had never heard of as a manager or as a player. I certainly don't remember him as a player at all.

Good point, spot on.

Skuse's improved form is more likely down to Elliot's absence than the 'guidence' of a manager who played in midfield himself. A manager who until he joined City many of us had never heard of as a manager or as a player. I certainly don't remember him as a player at all.

I certainly remember him, I suppose many City fans wouldn't as he never really (if at all) played against us. McInnes will undoubtedly give some valuable assistance in the development of our central midfielders because he was a very good one himself, but you can only sprinkle so much glitter on turds. Thankfully Skuse has the mobility to become the box to box midfielder we need and with a bit of coaching he certainly has the technique to add assists and goals to his game. It was a delight to see him running beyond Stead last night and that sort of movement has been consistently absent from our midfield for far too long.

That said, I would love to see an addition in midfield with creative ability who could play next to Cisse, a midfield of Skuse, Cisse and A.N.Other would offer variety and a "clubs in the bag" for an entire season. I wouldn't be at all disappointed to see Marvin sold especially if we could replace him with someone who has ability on the ball. If anyone mentions Kilkenny then I will hunt them down!!!

One thing that was mentioned by a friend at the game last night was that Skuse is the sort of player you don't really notice until they're out of the side. I would tend to agree with that assessment as he hasn't ever really offered anything significant that most fans would notice, however his commitment and tackling ability are sorely missed when he's not there. It is of no surprise to me that our upturn in fortune has coincided with his return from injury.

Completely spot on.

The views of fools on here who said he was "the worst midfielder at the club" mean nothing in comparison.

Archived