IGNORED

Happy St Georges Day To My Fellow Englishmen.

dafarms

The day is nearly over and not one lefty has hijacked the thread calling those who celebrate it right wing nazis, does that mean they have left the country on this day as a protest?

Nibor and Alex don't post till later, and Swampy had a break down a few weeks ago and has ****** off.

I think we're lefty loon free!

Happy St Georges Day #Get your flags out

I live in a 3 storey house and every year hang out a large cross of St George at 7.00am from a top floor window.

It's not just the English who are celebrating; St George is also patron saint of Portugal, Greece and Georgia.

England's first patron saint was St Edmund (as in the Suffolk town of Bury). During the crusades, the English knights heard the tale of George the Turkish soldier in the Roman army and adopted him instead.

My best St George's Day story happened when I lived abroad and there was an open invite for "Drinks on the terrace St George's Day 8pm".

The embassy received a phone call which went like this, "What day is it then??"

In his best ambassadorial way the response was, " if you don't know when it is you're not invited!!"

Heathens missed out a great night

Out of interest, why is a Syrian, who never visited our country, our patron saint?

Happy St. George's day nonetheless one and all

The story I know is that our crusader Knights (Knights Templar and Knights of St John) in the Holy land during the crusades heard the story of St George and made him our patron saint. Anyway, as far as I'm aware, the St George's emblem was adopted by King Richard Coeur de Lion (The Lion Hearted) and brought to England in the 12th century and the King's soldiers wore tunics with the red cross to avoid any confusion in battle.....ahem..... :englandsmile4wf: .......

St+Georges+Girl.jpg

Did put up my England flag on my front gate first thing this morning ,in the pouring rain but had to be done .Got work and found bugger all to show it was St Georges day.Bet when its paddys day it will be full of green flags and every other countrys day will be celebrated too

Archived