IGNORED

A United Bristol..?

PFree

I won't abuse the OP, but NO WAY, just NO WAY. I'm a Bristol City supporter, not a Bristol United supporter. I wouldn't want anything to do with a united club, I shudder at the thought of it TBH.

Higher league place- City

Best team- City

Best Ground- City

Best new ground- City

Best support- City

Best owner- City

No reason atall to contemplate uniting with something that brings no advantage. As someone mentioned a few days ago, we used to know a fair few in their team, now I would struggle to name 2, Zebrowski is the only one I know, they're an irrellevance.

...like usual on here, never expect too much of an educated response - is a forum to discuss footballing topics or simply to slag off any views that don't agree with yours? I'd be interested for you to find the link where I posted this recently, you'll spend a long time looking by the way as I haven't.

I've actually been a season ticket holder for over 10 years at the Gate and supported City for over 20.

Other than the history and passion involved, what commercial negatives are there if this were considered? I am simply generating debate by the way...

Nothing important then...

...like usual on here, never expect too much of an educated response - is a forum to discuss footballing topics or simply to slag off any views that don't agree with yours? I'd be interested for you to find the link where I posted this recently, you'll spend a long time looking by the way as I haven't.

I've actually been a season ticket holder for over 10 years at the Gate and supported City for over 20.

Other than the history and passion involved, what commercial negatives are there if this were considered? I am simply generating debate by the way...

I seriously don't think a Bristol United would make any difference. I've been a Season ticket holder 15 years now, but would I go watch a Bristol United?? Nah. I think there would be plenty of others with the same thinking.

I love Bristol City, ive been bought up to support this club, now matter how many times we feel we get let down. There's no way I could feel this way about a Bristol United.

I feel for the Wimbledon fans who lost their club. Now matter what they say, the club they loved disbanded. I can't see how a genuine Crazy Gang fan can love the new AFC Wimbledon team like they used to love their old team

This must be the view from over the bridge.......hang on, where is OP from? Oh yeah, Chepstow

Quite correct, I live in Chepstow but have worked in Bristol for many years. When originally looking for a club to support I had the option to choose Baadiff to support but followed Bristol City instead - I've got it though, because I live over the bridge (like many others) and pay an extra £6 every time I watch City, it makes me less of a fan than those who were born there or are more local?

Try working out the cost of three season tickets and foundation membership plus attending some away fixtures and then compare this to lot's of arm chair fans who only support City on here, am I actually less of a fan because of it..? My point is that I would love to see Premier League football in the South West and as things are at the moment there's very little chance of that, especially if we keep doing the same thing financially and expect a different result, I am not being anti-City just trying to express the potential commercial benefits of having one side in the area - for change to happen on occasions it's worth taking off the one dimensional glasses?

Are we really proud of what City stands for, our actual financial position and our 'support'? Or in reality are we club that is losing millions each year, increasing it's debt and only just keeping it's head above water financially because of Steve L's continued but reducing investment - I'll let you decide? It is actually such a bad idea?

Put it this way.

I support bristol city

I would love to see city in the top flight

I would not forgo bristol city for some new team getting into the Premier League. If I were to do that, I may as well stop supporting city, and support man u, man city, Chelsea etc etc, because that is exactly what the op is suggesting. Get rid of the club you love for a plastic club, because of the Premier League.

I'd rather stay true to my team and never get to the Premier League. Supporting is not done because og the league, it is done through loyalty, tradition, etc etc.

If the op wants to change his team so much, then why bother, just support someone else who match your ambitions.

Simple as that really.

I am shocked. Someone posts a viewpoint not held by many. He is then insulted, called names and has his support questioned.

I've never seen this happen on OTIB before.....oh, hang on, it happens all the time and the mods, yet again, sit back.

Can someone let everyone know who it is that needs to be contacted to see if certain points of view are allowed please?

Quite correct, I live in Chepstow but have worked in Bristol for many years. When originally looking for a club to support I had the option to choose Baadiff to support but followed Bristol City instead - I've got it though, because I live over the bridge (like many others) and pay an extra £6 every time I watch City, it makes me less of a fan than those who were born there or are more local?

Try working out the cost of three season tickets and foundation membership plus attending some away fixtures and then compare this to lot's of arm chair fans who only support City on here, am I actually less of a fan because of it..? My point is that I would love to see Premier League football in the South West and as things are at the moment there's very little chance of that, especially if we keep doing the same thing financially and expect a different result, I am not being anti-City just trying to express the potential commercial benefits of having one side in the area - for change to happen on occasions it's worth taking off the one dimensional glasses?

Are we really proud of what City stands for, our actual financial position and our 'support'? Or in reality are we club that is losing millions each year, increasing it's debt and only just keeping it's head above water financially because of Steve L's continued but reducing investment - I'll let you decide? It is actually such a bad idea?

OK Paul I take your point , you are City through and through ( the over the bridge thing was tongue in cheek)

So on to your original question "Would a Bristol United be better supported"?

Well, the simple answer is no. Because with the massive defection of both City and Rovers fans, instead of your imaginary 16,000 + 8,000 = 24,000, you would actually get about (at best) half of that, and so end up with less support than City get now on our own.

Even if "Bristol United" could get to the premier league, they would be more like Wigan, in that the only way the Stadium sells out is when there was a massive away following.

Sorry Paul, it ain't gonna happen

If you want an educated response, I suggest that you don't post a moronic thread about a topic that a supposed City fan of 20 years should only ever have nightmares of.

There was a bloke who kept writing to the evil post about getting our colours changed to Barcelona's and changing our name to AC Bristol. He was posting the same garbage on the Crystal Palace forum for some reason. I swear his name was Paul.

A few weeks ago I made a post about the Merchant Venturers and the implications of their connection with both Bristol football clubs, the Rugby club and the UWE.

We are going to see some massive upheaval in the World over the next few months and the movers and shakers know they will have to make changes in the way they handle their "play things".

I don't know who Paul Free is or what his motivations are but don't be surprised if the topic he has raised is in the news again quite soon.

My stock reply is....yes it's a great idea, the new club would take the 'Bristol' part of the name from Rovers and the 'City' part of the name from City. Red shirts from City, white shorts from Rovers and white socks from both clubs. Obviously the new team would play at Aston Gate or Ashton Vale as both are bigger than the Rovers equivalents.

So the new club would be called Bristol City, play in red and white and play at Ashton Gate.

Sorted

A few weeks ago I made a post about the Merchant Venturers and the implications of their connection with both Bristol football clubs, the Rugby club and the UWE.

We are going to see some massive upheaval in the World over the next few months and the movers and shakers know they will have to make changes in the way they handle their "play things".

I don't know who Paul Free is or what his motivations are but don't be surprised if the topic he has raised is in the news again quite soon.

You're definitely right to keep an eye on the Merchant Venturers.

Also, if anybody has tickets for the olympics this summer, I would seriously consider staying home if I were you.

I can understand our vitriol at Pauls' post but why the vitriol towards him?

This forum seems to batter people with an alternative view, something I have never understood.

We, ALL, support the same team so why do it? It is a cock comparing thing? I'm a better fan than you? My grandad supported City so **** off?

Please enlighten me fellas as I don't get why we try to humiliate fellow City fans? It's the close season FFS!

I think it is out of order the stick Paul Free has been given, all he is guilty off is -

1. Calling for Bristol City to be disbanded on um er a Bristol City fans forum.

2. Suggesting a new club with no history or link to the existing club.

3. Putting City's fierce rivals on an equal keel despite the fact they are two divisions below us.

4. Calling for a new team I.e like Mk Dons probably the most hated team in English football.

I think it is out of order the stick Paul Free has been given, all he is guilty off is -

1. Calling for Bristol City to be disbanded on um er a Bristol City fans forum.

2. Suggesting a new club with no history or link to the existing club.

3. Putting City's fierce rivals on an equal keel despite the fact they are two divisions below us.

4. Calling for a new team I.e like Mk Dons probably the most hated team in English football.

To me, all he has done is start a debate Glos. However misgiuded it may be, I don't see alot wrong with trying to stimulate something.

In summary, gasheads want to support Rovers, City fans want to support the mighty reds, anyone else in the south west desperate for Premier League football at all costs can make the relatively short trip to Villa Park every other week, almost certain to be tickets available

In summary, gasheads want to support Rovers, City fans want to support the mighty reds, anyone else in the south west desperate for Premier League football at all costs can make the relatively short trip to Villa Park every other week, almost certain to be tickets available

You talking to my reply Glos? I don't see it that way atall.

All I see is a poster getting slaughtered for saying something 'out of the norm'.

Enlighten us as I have only been following the club for **** years!

Cider up, i've just read former posts of yours in which you predicted relegation, then said you heard we were going into administration and then said Del Boy would be sacked if we stayed up and replaced by Mick McCarthy.

I think that makes you gas, piXxed, or on the wind up. Either would account for you defending a guy who is advocating the destruction of Bristol City FC

i MUST BE A GAS HEAD THEN Glos by your reckoning? There's me thinking I was discussing the club I love?

Arn, I never realised!

37 years wasted.

FFS!

Where have I asked for the destruction of (cannot be my) your beloved BCFC? All I have done is defend the OP's right to have a view which is different from the norm, making me a gas head by your reckoning.

Archived