IGNORED

A United Bristol..?

PFree

Cider up, i've just read former posts of yours in which you predicted relegation, then said you heard we were going into administration and then said Del Boy would be sacked if we stayed up and replaced by Mick McCarthy.

That would be 'repetating what I was told' for discussion on a 'discussion forum' about the club Glos. Erm, that's what this is isn't it or is it a forum for the likes of yourself to try to humiliate people? I thought it was a disussion forum personally.

Out of interest, if I am told something to DISCUSS and repeat it on here, does that make me a gas head as well?

Huury uo Glos, I have to learn the second verse of Irene as I only know one and it envolves the f word and going down. As I'm a gashead now (by your rules), I had better learn the words eh and learn to dribble too?

I had better do some work as I noticed the 'gobshyte' has gone off line. I have no doubt that he will have some further derogatory comment in the morning!

Gashead? Yeah right Glos, well done, quite amusing to be fair.

I can understand our vitriol at Pauls' post but why the vitriol towards him?

This forum seems to batter people with an alternative view, something I have never understood.

We, ALL, support the same team so why do it? It is a cock comparing thing? I'm a better fan than you? My grandad supported City so **** off?

Please enlighten me fellas as I don't get why we try to humiliate fellow City fans? It's the close season FFS!

The debate I've raised here isn't anti-City (Apologies I had thought the idea of a City / football forum was to generate debate?), it's simply that we are failing as a club financially (and have done for many years) and if we keep doing the same thing and expect a different outcome, it's the definition of commercial madness? I am sure that the majority of people on here have absolutely no idea about the new financial rules and constraints that will shortly be introduced that ALL Championship clubs have to adhere to?

It's interesting the passion and aggression that this thread has provoked - when you look at falling attendances at the gate when performances dropped off this season and continuing booing against OUR players, perhaps it suits some to demonstrate passion on here but when it comes to actually supporting OUR club through thick and thin it's a different question?

I'm not suggesting double standards, pot, kettle and black, and previous acquisations of fickle fans at City of course..!?

Perhaps as an alternative to responding in a negative way, you might want to suggest ideas where OUR club could be run in an improved commercial manner to improve our financial situation and make us more attractive for the outside investment we need - now this will be interesting??

A few weeks ago I made a post about the Merchant Venturers and the implications of their connection with both Bristol football clubs, the Rugby club and the UWE.

We are going to see some massive upheaval in the World over the next few months and the movers and shakers know they will have to make changes in the way they handle their "play things".

I don't know who Paul Free is or what his motivations are but don't be surprised if the topic he has raised is in the news again quite soon.

How so? Someone else said something similar and to 'stay away from the Olympics ' ?

Perhaps as an alternative to responding in a negative way, you might want to suggest ideas where OUR club could be run in an improved commercial manner to improve our financial situation and make us more attractive for the outside investment we need - now this will be interesting??

...The silence is deafening? :whistle:

A new stadium will improve our financial situation. That wasn't difficult

Not really, takes a bit longer than a couple of hours to form a financial plan, as I am sure you are aware.

Unless you want some hypothetical ramblings

I'm fully aware of the FFP regulations that are coming in the season after next thank you very much.

Now I don't know if you have noticed, but our financial backer has been doing his upmost to move the club forward financially by trying to improve our facilities.

Ashton Vale is the only way we can ever get close to the FFP financial levels, the extra gate income (even if it is temporary), the biggest conference centre in the south West, the hotel etc, etc......all would bring in significant amounts of cash to cover the football losses.

But we have been held up at every turn by NIMBYs who are using poorly drafted legislation (against the way the law was intended to be used) and they continue to harm our football club.

If we have had a clean run on the AV project, then we would be in the stadium by now and making large strides to reduce our debts and we would be in a much better position to get in line with FFP.

Sharing with the scum will not bring in anymore more cash as I for one would not support a Bristol United and I am 100% sure there are thousands who would do the same, so the possible extra commercial revenue from not having to split costs, sponsorships etc, etc would in no way cover the losses through gate income.

Although they will have one fan....PaulFree.....enjoy your freedom in an empty 30,000 stadium. :tongue:

A lot of clubs are going to struggle to adjust to these rules and I can;t see anyway that clubs will be able to reduce debts to 2m in 3 seasons time.....a lot of clubs will be on transfer embargos.

BCAGFC

I'm fully aware of the FFP regulations that are coming in the season after next thank you very much.

Now I don't know if you have noticed, but our financial backer has been doing his upmost to move the club forward financially by trying to improve our facilities.

Ashton Vale is the only way we can ever get close to the FFP financial levels, the extra gate income (even if it is temporary), the biggest conference centre in the south West, the hotel etc, etc......all would bring in significant amounts of cash to cover the football losses.

But we have been held up at every turn by NIMBYs who are using poorly drafted legislation (against the way the law was intended to be used) and they continue to harm our football club.

If we have had a clean run on the AV project, then we would be in the stadium by now and making large strides to reduce our debts and we would be in a much better position to get in line with FFP.

Sharing with the scum will not bring in anymore more cash as I for one would not support a Bristol United and I am 100% sure there are thousands who would do the same, so the possible extra commercial revenue from not having to split costs, sponsorships etc, etc would in no way cover the losses through gate income.

Although they will have one fan....PaulFree.....enjoy your freedom in an empty 30,000 stadium. :tongue:

A lot of clubs are going to struggle to adjust to these rules and I can;t see anyway that clubs will be able to reduce debts to 2m in 3 seasons time.....a lot of clubs will be on transfer embargos.

BCAGFC

Great post.

Amalgamating both Bristol clubs would only make sense insofar as encouraging outside investment and that, with the implementation of F.F.P. would no longer be the benefit it once was. If this idea ever had a chance it would have been in 1982 when this clubs future was counted in hours. Joining forces then may have encouraged a rich benefactor to invest in the future of a Bristol United. As for the support, it may have taken a knock at first but as we know there are 40,000 fans willing to back success so even if both loyal city and gas fans stayed away their places would have been taken by those glory hunters we have both taken to Wembeley and Cardiff for finals. In 5 years time having a money'd owner/chairman will lose it's significance and to be successful on the pitch you'll need to be successful off of it as well by encouraging fans through the turnstiles even when things are not going well. With new stadiums the match experience will be improved for both us and the gas supporters and hopefully more "floating" fans will become regulars.

In answer to the poster who asked how we would increase our revenue to lift us out of the continuing loss making, we have no choice under FFP we will have to tailor our cloth accordingly. But again this will, in part, be helped by the new stadium (which is now more important than ever). But other aspects will be better use if the academy and good scouting giving us an income stream from developing and selling players whilst playing the type of football people want to pay to watch.

We as a club can have all the benefits of a Bristol United without the emotion of merging both clubs, an act, as can be seen on this thread, that is tantamount to treason. We just need a driving force within the club to organise the scouting and recruitment and the stadium to get the green light and built.

The debate I've raised here isn't anti-City (Apologies I had thought the idea of a City / football forum was to generate debate?), it's simply that we are failing as a club financially (and have done for many years) and if we keep doing the same thing and expect a different outcome, it's the definition of commercial madness? I am sure that the majority of people on here have absolutely no idea about the new financial rules and constraints that will shortly be introduced that ALL Championship clubs have to adhere to?

It's interesting the passion and aggression that this thread has provoked - when you look at falling attendances at the gate when performances dropped off this season and continuing booing against OUR players, perhaps it suits some to demonstrate passion on here but when it comes to actually supporting OUR club through thick and thin it's a different question?

I'm not suggesting double standards, pot, kettle and black, and previous acquisations of fickle fans at City of course..!?

Paul, if you read my post again, I was actually defending your right to hold an alternative view, not being negative. I don't agree that a merged Bristol United would be widely accepted as the two clubs have their own, unique, identities. I have been following BCFC for too long to accept a BUFC but that is my personal choice.

Merging wouldn't bring any advantages to our club as Rovers have nothing to offer, hence my wish that a merger should never happen.

Paul, if you read my post again, I was actually defending your right to hold an alternative view, not being negative. I don't agree that a merged Bristol United would be widely accepted as the two clubs have their own, unique, identities. I have been following BCFC for too long to accept a BUFC but that is my personal choice.

Merging wouldn't bring any advantages to our club as Rovers have nothing to offer, hence my wish that a merger should never happen.

But Rovers will soon have something to offer - a 20 000 capacity stadium expandable to 30 000.

Do you think the Merchant Venturers have an ethos which would cause them to worry what "Ashton Alf" or "Eastville Ern" think ?

Why does Nick Higgs always appear so defensive ? Has he been talking to Dr Faustus ?

By Paul Free's logic, Manchester City and Manchester United should become one. They would have gates of 130,000 (if they could find a stadium big enough) and more money than the rest of the world's clubs combined (possibly).

It is just a stupid discussion topic and that is why Paul Free is getting stick. As regards my ideas to boost support etc, new stadium and continue the initiatives like working in local schools to attract a new generation of fans.

By Paul Free's logic, Manchester City and Manchester United should become one. They would have gates of 130,000 (if they could find a stadium big enough) and more money than the rest of the world's clubs combined (possibly).

It is just a stupid discussion topic and that is why Paul Free is getting stick. As regards my ideas to boost support etc, new stadium and continue the initiatives like working in local schools to attract a new generation of fans.

That's tosh, have children and teach them the way of the red,just shag for England :surrender::ill::surrender:

Had a great idea.........Why Rovers?.............. let us think this through.......

Right let's unite with Swansea ...... they keep the City part we add the Bristol bit and hey presto....... We are in the top flight again as Bristol City.

Who's your Chemist ?

I'm sure I'll get slaughtered for this but with the massive opportunity that exists in Bristol and the South West, wouldn't it be better to have one football club with one large new stadium that is financially viable rather than two teams who are independently seeking new stadiums whilst trading upon massive year after year losses..?

Imagine having one team who everybody in Bristol and the surrounding areas got behind? External commercial investment would be far easier to obtain? Gates would naturally increase as after all, this is about Bristolians wanting to passionately support a club?

I'm sure I am about to face the wrath of years of hatred and whatever but just imagine the prospect of having one side within a catchment area of millions of people across the South West - surely outside investment, a new stadium and Premier League football would be far more attractive to those who don't necesarily share the existing rivalry?

Some will say it's not possible and here we go again but let's face it, we are hardly in a great position as a club, especially financially, are we..?

396 posts...

...and you haven't learned....

Stupid stupid stupid idea, how would this benefit anyone? **** why would you do this or even think of it, we have the sags, its good to have a rival team in the City, screw anyone who thinks this is a good idea, any true City of Rovers fans would sooner die than dissolves themselves and form a Utd, if people want a Utd then piss off and make one then

I'm sure I'll get slaughtered for this but with the massive opportunity that exists in Bristol and the South West, wouldn't it be better to have one football club with one large new stadium that is financially viable rather than two teams who are independently seeking new stadiums whilst trading upon massive year after year losses..?

Imagine having one team who everybody in Bristol and the surrounding areas got behind? External commercial investment would be far easier to obtain? Gates would naturally increase as after all, this is about Bristolians wanting to passionately support a club?

I'm sure I am about to face the wrath of years of hatred and whatever but just imagine the prospect of having one side within a catchment area of millions of people across the South West - surely outside investment, a new stadium and Premier League football would be far more attractive to those who don't necesarily share the existing rivalry?

Some will say it's not possible and here we go again but let's face it, we are hardly in a great position as a club, especially financially, are we..?

How many of these posts need to be written at the end of every season!...please give it a rest!

I support Bristol City from the cradle to the grave...And as a wise sage said a year or two ago...I would support any combined Bristol team provided they were called Bristol City and played at AG or AV!!!

Paul, I think you've every right to raise this for a debate, esp in the close season, so here goes.

Like most City fans my heart says absolutely no - I suppport Bristol City, not Bristol United. Let's not underestimate the emotional side of it. But if I'm honest I suspect that, if it did happen, after a few years we'd all get used to is, like so much else that changes. So what about the head...

You're suggesting this for 3 reasons - gates, stadium and investment in the club.

Investment: I know what you mean - the nervousness of any investor who thinks that if they back City or Rovers then the other half of the City won't buy their milk, windscreens or whatever. I just don't think that the evidence backs up that view. Firstly, almost all really significant inverstment nowadays comes from individuals not from the corporate world. And Bristol's richest are already investing in City, despite the other lot! And that's true elsewhere - Man City and Chelsea to take just two examples, where very rich individuals are putting money into football clubs in two (or more) club cities. Personally, I'm not sure that I'd want that sort of money anyway: if City won the Premier League as a resuly of £1bn investment from Saudi Arabia then, frankly, I wouldn't feel any more affinity with that Bristol City than I would with Bristol United. But I'm not as brave as you are and won't be starting a 'Do you want City to play in the Premier League' thread!!

Gates: firstly a very risky assumption that gates would increase - that first few years would be a real problem, and even then we all know that whether you're a one or a two club city, you'll get good gates if you're successful and poor ones if you're not. And secondly, in the Premier League world that you're forseeing gates are less important than almost all other forms of income!! Again, there's plenty of evidence that you can reach the Premier League on low gates. Once there it depends on uour ambitions - if it's just to stay there then see Wigan, Swansea etc. If it's to win the thing then gates will be limited by capacity long before they are limited by potential.

Ground: Agree with you on this, except for two things. Firstly, as another poster has already said, you can do that without becoming one club. Anyone unconnected with Bristol football must think it's mad that both clubs are cuurently engaged in costly exercise to build their own seperate grounds. But, secondly, there is another option which is to make more sensible use of ground sharing opportunities by the route of another sport rather than another club. Bristol rugby for example. Buy the rugby club, share with them, and job done without the need for weekly deep cleans!! I know that you could argue why not go the whole hog and share between one football club and one rugby club - but see above!!

So, thanks for the debate Paul - it's a nice change from the usual summer of threads linking us with every footballer in the coutry who's contract is coming to an end. But in response to your question I'll say no thanks!!

I don't think Bristol Rovers will volunteer themselves into closure.

So putting the United Bristol aside....and with our finances continually on the slide, we are all in agreement that a new stadium and the opportunity this provides would help matters but what else could improve our financial position?

Remember that influential people read this board...

Are you confident the board have plans in place to improve our finances given the importance? What ideas have you that would help improve matters? How could we draw new fans to the Gate, how can we improve the entertainment value?

Archived