IGNORED

Gary Neville

Whites

The pic they've used on the bbc website, looks like GNev is having a word before or during a penalty shoot out (that I'm sure we lost!), who is the guy waering the no 16 shirt? Can't work it out for the life of me??

I'm pretty sure Hargreaves was number 16 at that World Cup if I remember rightly.

from his autobiography

"I don't see us competing seriously for a major tournament for at least 10 years," adding that "there have been times when I've reflected on my international career and just thought: 'Well that was a massive waste of time.'"

He also said that whilst at various tournaments with England the players always felt that they weren't good enough win it.

For me thats a forthright and honest view and just the type of straight talking bloke you want in your camp. He knows how the players might feel and will hopefully be able to combat that attitude of inferiority. With Woy in overall charge and Psycho Pearce and Neville on the staff England just might do better than most expect this summer.

Not Hargreaves on that pic, possibly Crouch, but just doesn't look like him - unless it's an older pic than I'm thinking as the player looks about 12

The guy wearing '16' is almost obscured and has dark hair. Can't be Crouch. Are we all looking at the same pic?

Not Hargreaves on that pic, possibly Crouch, but just doesn't look like him - unless it's an older pic than I'm thinking as the player looks about 12

The guy with the blonde hair in that picture is Crouch, but the body with number 16 on it isn't his. It is the guy stood next to him whos face you can't see, but will be Hargreaves.

If this is the picture you're refering to , the guy stood next to Ashley Cole is definitley Crouch. Dont forget that photo is probably 8 years old.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18062454

Out of interest, (because I don't watch live Prem football) is he relatively unbiased during Man U games?

It's funny how very few liked him as a player, most were outraged when he got the Sky job and now it must be near 100% think he's great as a pundit.

I can't remember somebody winning over so many in such a short space of time before.

Good luck to the bloke with England

Great appointment I think, shore up the defence ahead of the Euro's

Don't know why there are so many Neville haters out there?

The guy always had passion whether it was England or Man U he was playing for. Just the sort of guy you need in a England set up.

mmmmm remmember posting this last year asking if he could have a role at city and was totally slated on here by exactly the people that are saying what a great move ! always thought the guys a winner and a leader totally what were missing at the gate.. still not good enough to be involved with city anyone?

No.16 is Hargreaves if thats from the WC 2006.

As for Neville, lets look at the pros and cons:

Pros...Vastly experienced both domestically and internationally. Has won everything in the domestic game. Part of the most succesful English side of the last 20 years. Has his coaching badges.

Cons...he's Gary Neville.

I have been very impressed by Gary Neville on Sky. I've been watching football for more than 50 years but this guy actually raises my awareness to aspects of the game of which I just wasn't aware. Listening to his analysis is truly an education. (I never had any liking for him as a player)

Really good appointment in my view. He will command respect amongst the players for what he achieved in the game, is clearly a born winner and will speak up if he thinks something is wrong, which isn't always the case with backroom staff! Obviously we are all guessing on whether he is actually a good coach or not, but he is an excellent pundit and probably the only person on TV who notices things in a game that pass me by. Compared to most of the others who purely state the obvious, or in some cases even fail to do that and just talk complete nonsense.

The fact he spent his entire career working under Ferguson is surely a good sign as well!

Totally agree

Don't see what the problem is with Gary Neville, it seems to me that him and Philip have plain names, and are a bit dorky looking, and aren't as flash as beckham and giggs, so people look down on them, but they have both had great careers, and Gary clearly knows what he is talking about.

• Admin

I'd say so, eveyone know's his history with Man U, but I think he keeps an open mind. I didn't see/hear his comments on Man City winning the league but previously he's said he thought Aguero was the best player in the league.

Funny to see he's won planning permission to build a hotel next to Old Trafford, much to Man Utd's objections!

I was reading about that yesterday & he's using the proceeds from his Testimonial to create a supporters bar (capacity of 1500) to give something back to the fans who backed him through his career.....though I'm sure he may make a bob or ten as well ;)

If it keeps him off TV, then good move!

Better coach than pundit, based on the evidence of the latter...

It won't & I think you're swimming against the tide of popular opinion there mate.

Think this is a good move. Schooled at Utd under Ferguson I think he's really bought into the idea that the team is always more important than the individual. If England can actually play as a team they may have a chance. Active PFA rep and whilst its not as if the players rely on their union to keep the wolf from the door (at Prem level anyway), it underlines his desire do more for his fellow pros and looking beyond his own situation.

Archived