IGNORED

New Kit.

Brian Butterfield

100% agree and said as much on the 17th May thread.

Most clubs, especially at this level, would just announce the new kit and sponsor, not build it up as the "biggest thing in 2012" or such like - thats just ridiculous.

I'm hoping there is more to come, but I'm not holding my breath.

Agree.

If that is it, it's pathetic... and I have a horrible feeling it will be. I hope I'm wrong.

At the risk of being shot down, I actually think that the announcement of a National brand sponsor IS actually good enough news.

Currently still in one of the harshest recessions in history, last year we were bailed out by a sponsor that was both a) last minute and b) owned by one of our directors. The league is heading to financial fair play, meaning that cash injections are going to be even harder to get, so any injection at all is a real credit to the work done by the commercial department. Adding to that, we only just scraped by this season from a league standpoint, which could have seen us with "Billys Bistro" as our biggest sponsor. Instead we get something that is a) Recognised throughout the UK b) Regionally strong and c) bunging us more than £20.

I have been a critic of them in the past, however, the work they are doing, engaging with the fans and improving small things is actually a big step forward from what was a low position.

The use of words like pathetic and ridiculous to describe the release of a new sponsor simply reflect the apparent lack of reality that some people have regarding a the day to day operations of a 2nd division football team.

Sorry that it's not the announcement of the Dubai Arena some of you believe is our due, but that, I am afraid, is life.

Interestingly, the leaking of the new kit has actually kicked off massive debate, so maybe people were actually interested.

At the risk of being shot down, I actually think that the announcement of a National brand sponsor IS actually good enough news.

Currently still in one of the harshest recessions in history, last year we were bailed out by a sponsor that was both a) last minute and b) owned by one of our directors. The league is heading to financial fair play, meaning that cash injections are going to be even harder to get, so any injection at all is a real credit to the work done by the commercial department. Adding to that, we only just scraped by this season from a league standpoint, which could have seen us with "Billys Bistro" as our biggest sponsor. Instead we get something that is a) Recognised throughout the UK b) Regionally strong and c) bunging us more than £20.

I have been a critic of them in the past, however, the work they are doing, engaging with the fans and improving small things is actually a big step forward from what was a low position.

The use of words like pathetic and ridiculous to describe the release of a new sponsor simply reflect the apparent lack of reality that some people have regarding a the day to day operations of a 2nd division football team.

Sorry that it's not the announcement of the Dubai Arena some of you believe is our due, but that, I am afraid, is life.

Interestingly, the leaking of the new kit has actually kicked off massive debate, so maybe people were actually interested.

Points well made.

Nobody is arguing that that its not great news. People are just a bit perplexed and the build-up to this news.

The only thing they didn't do was send out cheerleaders to everyone's house.

So you think the commercial department were right in their use of words such as ;

"We are drawing closer!! A quiet day tomorrow before a very big day in the life of Bristol City."

"I wish I could.. But unfortunately not at the moment. Definitely worth the buzz and wait!"

"Now we are teasing... Roughly 36 hours to go until the huge news!"

"110% worth it. Would not let you down!!"

"We will not let you down mate. It will make the day fly by whilst you are at work!"

"Let's just say, the biggest news of 2012!!! "

"It is hard to get much bigger commercial news than this!"

"It will be top news story!"

"It is creeping on us now... I even dreamt about it all last night in my sleep!!"

Ridiculous choice of words, pathetic even.

I fully understand the climate we are in and the importance of sponsorship.

I also understand context and hype.

There has to be something more than a kit and new sponsor for them to say that? I've got a hunch that there will be..

So you think the commercial department were right in their use of words such as ;

"We are drawing closer!! A quiet day tomorrow before a very big day in the life of Bristol City."

"I wish I could.. But unfortunately not at the moment. Definitely worth the buzz and wait!"

"We will not let you down mate. It will make the day fly by whilst you are at work!"

"It is creeping on us now... I even dreamt about it all last night in my sleep!!"

Bloody idiots if you ask me, someone will always try and find out, so why let people know something is coming, why not just shut up, and surprise everyone on the day.

The whole lot of that department that have been talking rubbish on Twitter should get a bollocking. Idiots :laugh:.

How hard is it to keep digital photos away from the public? Very easy, keep them on your memory card and backed up on a non networked device until the day of publish.

They have made themselves look utter utter fools. I would not be happy if I was their boss.

It must a last ditch to by Blackthorn to boost flagging sales. I read somewhere recently that since the introduction of other draught ciders such as Thatchers Gold, Ashton Press and Stowford their sales have dipped dramatically, something around 60% lower that previously.

I don't mind having cider and therefore alcohol as a sponsor. Other clubs have done the same in the past. Glasgow Rangers and Spurs both had booze advertised on their shirts in days gone by.

Personally I would have prefered Thatchers to sponsor the club shirt. A West Country cider for a West Country club.

Ok..In answer...yes, I do think the commercial department was right to use those words.

And as to the why, well,

a) I assume that no one outside the club has any idea as to the terms of the deal. What about if it is the clubs biggest sponsorship deal in history? That would be worth a song and a dance if you ask me.

b) The club maybe operates in reality and understands the crap state of the finances. Announcing a deal that relieves a bit of pressure is pretty important to them, if not you.

Was I sucked in by commercial bluster? Nope..hence my dreams and ambitions have not been shattered.

But calling them pathetic for raising the profile of the club is pretty pathetic in itself.

It must a last ditch to by Blackthorn to boost flagging sales. I read somewhere recently that since the introduction of other draught ciders such as Thatchers Gold, Ashton Press and Stowford their sales have dipped dramatically, something around 60% lower that previously.

I don't mind having cider and therefore alcohol as a sponsor. Other clubs have done the same in the past. Glasgow Rangers and Spurs both had booze advertised on their shirts in days gone by.

Personally I would have prefered Thatchers to sponsor the club shirt. A West Country cider for a West Country club.

So Shepton Mallet isn't West Country???

There has been talk of ditching the brand altogether. Their previous attempt at going "national" never really took off and sales of the "trandtional" brand, although popular in the West Country, does not turnover enough revenue. Couple that with the emergence of other local ciders into the market, this sponsorship may be seen as a last throw of the dice?

......Personally I would have prefered Thatchers to sponsor the club shirt. A West Country cider for a West Country club.

I don't want to sound like one of your 'knockers' Robbo but isn't Blackthorn made by Gaymers in Shepton Mallet, which is in Somerset?

Bloody hell Alan, I agree with EVERY word!! All the other ciders you mentioned are also vastly superior to Blackthorn too.

It would be a disappointment if a new kit is the big news. I mean we all know a new kit will come out, it does every year! There's no need to big this up as anything out of the ordinary. Like someone said earlier, why not just keep it quiet then post it tomorrow as a surprise? Then we'd have a debate on whether we like it or not. Then there would be no negativity towards the club and this 'amazing news'.

agree this was way over hyped up by people on twitter... on thew plus side kit looks lovely, and yes blackthorns is still made in the west countyr so suits us fine!!! hopefully its big because it involved some kinda massive money deal for a few years that will be explained tmmrw but dont see it tbh.

agree this was way over hyped up by people on twitter... on thew plus side kit looks lovely, and yes blackthorns is still made in the west countyr so suits us fine!!! hopefully its big because it involved some kinda massive money deal for a few years that will be explained tmmrw but dont see it tbh.

Who says it was what is being hyped on twitter?

Are the commercial department on drugs?

Whilst commercial sponsorship and money into the club are great news, it is not going to get any fan particlularly excited. Was anyone excited on the eve of Autowindscreens being announced? I didn't take the day off work to cope with the anticipation or camp outside the ground.

The quotes from Oli Barton in another thread make it seem that we're about to invest £200m into the club, start the stadium build and bring Rooney and Messi into the frame.

Well any news of investment should be welcomed by the fans as great news. It good to see the club trying to improve communication, Its just as important to know whats going on off the pitch as well as on it .

well because thingy comercial director guy, said 'gutted' about all the effort and excitement...which was quickly taken down again

Oh, well I still don't think it was about the kit. If it is I will be very annoyed!

Archived