IGNORED

Bbc News Goes In On Otib, Says Stadium Opponents Victimised (Merged Topics)

Olé

What a shocking piece of journalism that is. Essentially, the article blames every misdemeanour in Long Ashton on supporters of the stadium without one crumb of proof apart from a couple of light hearted comments on here.

It does make you think though, even something put on this forum as a joke is being used by these people. Maybe we should all refrain from putting such comments on here even though they are comical rather than actual threats?

Unbelievably bad article.

What a shocking piece of journalism that is. Essentially, the article blames every misdemeanour in Long Ashton on supporters of the stadium without one crumb of proof apart from a couple of light hearted comments on here.

It does make you think though, even something put on this forum as a joke is being used by these people. Maybe we should all refrain from putting such comments on here even though they are comical rather than actual threats?

Unbelievably bad article.

I am waiting for the follow up article confirming that there is a sniper on the AV site because I posted a picture on here.

Just got this response:

Dear Mr Kid in the Riot,

Many thanks for your email.

We carried out a detailed investigation into the situation regarding the

Bristol City development and we are satisfied that our report represents

the situation fairly and accurately.

There is clearly a strong belief, as we report, amongst some opponents

of the stadium that their viewpoint has prompted acts of vandalism

against them. It is legitimate to report this even if there is, as we

state, according to the police no actual evidence that their stance is

behind the recent spate of vandalism in the area. This having been said,

I think it is important to note that the judge presiding over the civil

proceedings said there was "convincing evidence of incidents of

harassment and intimidation".

Supporters groups are welcome to contact us any time if they wish their

views to be represented in subsequent stories.

Best wishes,

Laura Ellis, Head of New Media, BBC English Regions

"Between February and November 2011 police received five reports of criminal damage in Silbury Road,

is that all, that is a daily occurrence where i live

you can pick any ****ing street in Bristol and where would of been at least 5 reports of some form of criminal damage over the course of 10 months

Edit: Is there any proof that a Bristol City fan(s) did it?

Type of complaint:

BBC News (TV Radio Online)

What is your complaint about:

BBC News Online

URL:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-18193878

Complaint category:

Bias

Contacted us before:

No

Complaint title:

Misleading article and incredibly bias

Complaint description:

To whom it may concern, As a supporter of Bristol City Football Club I would like to express my disappointment and anger at the bias and inaccuracy of the attached article. To claim that City supporters are vandalising property of those who oppose the plans to build a new stadium at Ashton Vale, especially when the police say "there is no evidence to suggest that the offences are linked to objections to Bristol City Football Club's plans for a new stadium", is shocking journalism and is extremely misleading. Also, to take tongue in cheek comments off of the fans forum (OTIB) such as the 'threats' of hiring a sniper and then quoting them in the article is ridiculous and clutching at straws for attention. If these comments were serious do you not think there would not be an enormous backlash from other supporters and subsequently significant police presence around the residents neighbourhood? To me It is clear that the article is poorly written, bias in the extreme and should be removed immediately to avoid causing unnecessary harm to the reputation of Bristol City Football Club and it's fans. Yours Faithfully, Steve Truman

'There is clearly a strong belief, as we report, amongst some opponents

of the stadium that their viewpoint has prompted acts of vandalism

against them.'

You have got to be kidding me? The stadium opponents believe that the pro stadium group are behind any problems, there's a shock!

My kids believe in Santa but I don't see the BBC writing about that!

During the same period there were also 29 reports of antisocial behaviour, 17 reports of Violent Crime which includes offences against the person such as common assaults, GBH and sexual offences.

I would suggest that the 5 reports of criminal damage are more likely to be in line with and linked to the rest of crime in area rather than anything to do with City fans.

Jeez....if its THAT bad down there then I dont know if I want our shiny new stad to be built there anyway!

did she provide an email - maybe we could send her our view that much of the "evidence" here was at best overstating the use of the land and at worst a total fabrication, while in no sense of the true meaning of Village Green does this represent one!! Perhaps BBC could do an article on Village Greens of England and compare and contrast with Ashton Vale.

Damage has been done, if you want an apology from them it will get the usual Tabloid apology, somewhere after the adverts for pile cream and about 2 paragraphs long in small font.

Spot on! This now has the hallmark of a 'the jury shall disregard that last comment' statement when something completely unsupported is said in court. Once its out there, its out there - and, ironically, the more attention brought to it adds to its effectiveness.

Only 2 things to be done to limit the damage that sh*t like this does IMO - firstly, the club must respond with a coherent message aimed at similarly damaging the anti-brigade (not letting facts get in the way of course), and secondly, the club needs to get a bit more savvy itself and use the BBC and other media sources to create support for the project (which is more than just about a stadium) even when all of the legal stuff is in obeyance. A stiff upper lip and taking the moral high-ground wont get this stadium built.

During the same period there were also 29 reports of antisocial behaviour, 17 reports of Violent Crime which includes offences against the person such as common assaults, GBH and sexual offences.

I would suggest that the 5 reports of criminal damage are more likely to be in line with and linked to the rest of crime in area rather than anything to do with City fans.

Tell the BBC that :)

Spot on! This now has the hallmark of a 'the jury shall disregard that last comment' statement when something completely unsupported is said in court. Once its out there, its out there - and, ironically, the more attention brought to it adds to its effectiveness.

Only 2 things to be done to limit the damage that sh*t like this does IMO - firstly, the club must respond with a coherent message aimed at similarly damaging the anti-brigade (not letting facts get in the way of course), and secondly, the club needs to get a bit more savvy itself and use the BBC and other media sources to create support for the project (which is more than just about a stadium) even when all of the legal stuff is in obeyance. A stiff upper lip and taking the moral high-ground wont get this stadium built.

Time for Ole and Dolly to make theri harrassment issues known to the BBC to re-address the inbalance, and show thet the BBC have not fully done their homework on the whole subject.

Of course only if they want to.

"I have a strong belief that ALL acts of vandalism and anti social behaviour in the Ashley vale area over the last 4 years or so are being propogated by the Anti stadium protesters to throw distain upon the vast majority of BrIstolians who are PRO the development plans ....of course there is a lack of evidence for Police to investigate thorougly because they are backed by clever people who fight these type of developments on a full time basis but it appears, based on recent reports, that the lack of evidence is not important...

Also I believe that evidence provided to the Bristol city Council & appointed inspectors by anti development groups is in fact fake and the area is not actualy an area of outstanding beauty or used on a regular basis by locals...except to dump their waste

I am sure that , as a total un biased national institution, you will be carrying out an in depth report on the above allegations and I look forward to hearing & seeing the results in the media"

Have asked BBC to investigate as above - not a cats chance but so what

If there is a "plant" at a high BBC level then I want them outed in public

Tell the BBC that :)

Perfect example of where the club could / should be doing more. How long did it take to unearth those crime statistics StGeorge? If the club want things to happen they should be using information like this - eg putting pre-emptive press out there which emphasises the benefits to local residents of improved lighting / security in the area.

By offering incentives to the local community, rather than only giving the minimum that they are ordered to, the club might sway more general opinion in Bristol. And, again, the more that this becomes a project' to improve the lives of people in this part of Bristol' rather than something to benefit 30k football fans the better.

"I have a strong belief that ALL acts of vandalism and anti social behaviour in the Ashley vale area over the last 4 years or so are being propogated by the Anti stadium "

Please tell me you didn't put Ashley Vale!

It's Ashton Vale.. as supporters we should get that right!

Good comments though!

Just saw it on BBC points West - with footage - sorry, dramatic reconstruction of bricks being thrown through windows, a car being keyed, and a BBC journalist in a hoodie voice and face hidden given a reconstruction of a interview of someone who was to scared to appear on TV.

Wow, talk about over dramatic. The club should confront them with the timing, the fact that this seems if anything fewer anti-social actions than the area gets on a whole, and therefore questionable that it is stadium related.

Totally shameful.

just complained to BBC i think the more that complain the better.

Response from BBC So get complaining

We aim to respond to most complaints within about 2 weeks, although this depends on the nature of your complaint and how many others we need to investigate or reply to. If others complain about the same issue our reply, by definition, will be the same to everyone and we may publish our response publicly on this website. You can read further information on this site about the complaints process and how we consider and react to the issues raised in the feedback we receive.

As a publicly funded body the Beeb are subject to the FOI Act. It would be expected of any self respecting journalist to establish, prior to publication, the story wasn't simply a piece of 'puff' or in this case simply an advertorial for the AV idiots. One might be tempted to ask what steps the Beeb took in establishing the acts claimed weren't 'self inflicted' in the interest of furthering the AV argument? I'm betting the Beeb took things at face value & reckon if they are unable to demonstrate those precautions taken they could be in trouble. In which case knowing the Police were unable to link any of the alleged crimes to City fans I suggest the very direct implication City fans were involved is nothing short of negligent.

Archived