IGNORED

England Vs Norway Match Thread

Ian M

Which of these youngsters do we think will actually go on to become international stars: All are 22 and under.

Goalkeepers:

Jack Butland - Birmingham - 19

Jamal Blackman - Chelsea - 18

Right Backs:

Nathaniel Clyne - Crystal Palace - 21

Kyle Walker - Tottenham - 21

Jon Flanagan - Liverpool - 19

Martin Kelly - Liverpool - 22

Jamal Lascelles - Nottingham Forest - 18

Left Backs:

Joe Bennett - Middlesbrough - 22

Jack Robinson - Liverpool - 18

Luke Shaw - Southampton - 16

Keiran Gibbs - Arsenal - 22

Centre Backs:

Phil Jones - Manchester United - 20

Chris Smalling - Manchester United - 22

Steven Caulker - Tottenham Hotspur - 20

Ryan Bennett - Norwich - 22

Craig Dawson - West Brom - 22

Lewis Dunk - Brighton - 20

Eric Dier - 18 - Sporting Lisbon

Nathaniel Chalobah - Chelsea - 17

Centre Midfielders:

Jordan Henderson - Liverpool - 22

Tom Cleverley - Manchester United - 22

Jack Rodwell - Everton - 21

Jack Wilshere - Arsenal - 20

Henri Lansbury - Arsenal - 21

Josh McEachran - Chelsea - 19

Jonjo Shelvey - Liverpool - 20

George Thorne - West Brom - 19

Ross Barkley - Everton - 18

Jacon Butterfield - Barnsley - 21

Tom Carroll - Tottenham - 19

Jordon Mutch - Birmingham - 20

Dan Gosling - Newcastle - 22

Ravel Morrison - West Ham - 19

Wingers:

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - Arsenal - 18

Wilfried Zaha - Crystal Palace - 19

Cameron Stewart - Hull - 21

Nathan Redmond - Birmingham - 18

Strikers:

Danny Welbeck - Manchester United - 21

Daniel Sturridge - Chelsea - 22

Connor Wickham - Sunderland - 19

Nick Powell - Crewe - 18

Harry Kane - Tottenham - 18

Max Clayton - Crewe - 17

Raheem Stirling - Liverpool - 17

They are all English, so I am guessing 1 maybe 2 at most.

We had the supposed golden generation and they proved they were very average, this next generation with the exception of Wilshere and Hart are even worse. Unfortunately they are propelled as World Class before they do anything and you are left scratching your head how it is possible that these World Class players can't do it in major tournaments. You realise after a while that these players are good but are nowhere near the level the major Europeans teams are.

You do get suckered into it when you're young, no disrespect to the younger forum members but I've heard it all before how great these young kids are that are coming through.

We had the supposed golden generation and they proved they were very average, this next generation with the exception of Wilshere and Hart are even worse. Unfortunately they are propelled as World Class before they do anything and you are left scratching your head how it is possible that these World Class players can't do it in major tournaments. You realise after a while that these players are good but are nowhere near the level the major Europeans teams are.

You do get suckered into it when you're young, no disrespect to the younger forum members but I've heard it all before how great these young kids are that are coming through.

There are alot of ex players who think we have some brilliant young players aswell.

Which of these youngsters do we think will actually go on to become international stars: All are 22 and under.

Goalkeepers:

Jack Butland - Birmingham - 19 - Possibly

Right Backs:

Kyle Walker - Tottenham - 21 - Nearly there

Left Backs:

Jack Robinson - Liverpool - 18 - not sure on him yet

Keiran Gibbs - Arsenal - 22 - depends on fitness

Centre Backs:

Phil Jones - Manchester United - 20 - Will be 1st choice in

Chris Smalling - Manchester United - 22 - Will also be 1st choice

Steven Caulker - Tottenham Hotspur - 20 - will be squad

Centre Midfielders:

Tom Cleverley - Manchester United - 22 - depends on fitness

Jack Rodwell - Everton - 21 - Fitness again

Jack Wilshere - Arsenal - 20 - already there

Wingers:

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - Arsenal - 18 - Our star man in years to come

Strikers:

Danny Welbeck - Manchester United - 21 - Will be regular soon

Daniel Sturridge - Chelsea - 22 - needs to leave Chelsea, then will be regular

Wouldn't it be nice if some of our young players would go and play abroad for a few seasons. Perhaps they would learn to play a different way than the traditional English way.

This may lead to learning a better (IMO) technical way of playing the game, instead of the panic and rush of the English game.

Unfortunately very very few English players are wanted by the likes of the Spanish,Italian clubs etc.

Joe Cole is the only one I can think of at the moment and he seems to have become the forgotten man regarding England.

Wouldn't it be nice if some of our young players would go and play abroad for a few seasons. Perhaps they would learn to play a different way than the traditional English way.

This may lead to learning a better (IMO) technical

way of playing the game.

Unfortunately very very few English players are wanted by the likes of the Spanish,Italian clubs etc.

Joe Cole is the only one I can think of at the moment and he seems to have become the forgotten man regarding England.

Real Madrid were keen on Adam Johnson when he was at Boro. The young players want to play in England which is probably why the spanish/italian clubs don't really bother. Also they wouldn't get any game time at Barca/Real.

Really looking forward to watching us play Belgium.

Belgium are going to be one of the best teams in Europe in the next couple of years with their young talents.

Keepers:

Thibaut Courtois - 20 - Chelsea/Atletico Madrid - Going to be world class and has won Europa League

Simon Mignolet - 23 - Sunderland - Great shot stopper

Defenders:

Toby Alderweild - 23 - Ajax - Good ball playing centre half

Jan Vertonghen - 25 - Ajax - Clever defender who can also play in the holding midfield role

Thomas Vermalean - 26 - Arsenal - Quality centre half

Vincent Kompany - 26 - Man City - World class and a leader of men

Dedryck Boyata - Man City - Young but has potential

Midfielders:

Marouane Fellaini - 24 - Everton - Solid box to box midfielder who is brilliant in the air

Axel Witsel - 23 - Benfica - Playmaker who has a few tricks

Dries Martens - 25 - PSV - Goalscoring winger who scored 21 in 33 games this season

Steven Defour - 24 - Porto - Centre midfielder who can pass, tackle and score goals. Sir Alex Ferguson is a known admirer

Nacer Chadli - 22 - Twente - Tricky winger

Moussa Dembele - 24 - Fulham - Second striker who has had a very good season for Fulham

Kevin De Bruyne - 20 - Chelsea - New signing from Genk but dubbed to be a real prospect

Eden Hazard - 21 - Lille - World class, scored 17 and assisted 17 this season from the wing.

Strikers:

Jelle Vossen - 23 - Genk - 47 in 102 goals for Genk

Romelu Lukaku - 19 - Chelsea - Powerhouse who when given time at Chelsea will be their new Drogba type player.

Yep, I've been saying for a while now that we need to look out for the Belgians. Stick your money on them to win Euro 2016 - seriously!

They had a tricky qualifying group this time around with defeats to Germany twice and Turkey, so this was maybe a couple of years to soon. They'll qualify for WC 2014 from a group containing Serbia, Croatia and Scotland, and will grow as a team. Look out for them in 2016 I say.

Yep, I've been saying for a while now that we need to look out for the Belgians. Stick your money on them to win Euro 2016 - seriously!

They had a tricky qualifying group this time around with defeats to Germany twice and Turkey, so this was maybe a couple of years to soon. They'll qualify for WC 2014 from a group containing Serbia, Croatia and Scotland, and will grow as a team. Look out for them in 2016 I say.

I agree, they will be a force. A team of:

GK: Courtois

RB: Alderwield

CB: Kompany

CB: Verthonghen

LB: Vermalean

DM: Defour

CM: Fellaini

CM: Witsel

RW: Martens

LW: Hazard

ST: Lukaku

That will be as good as there is imo.

Gerrard has not been worth a place in the side for several years. Far too many over ambitious passes and constantly giving the ball away which you simply can't afford to do in international football. As far as i'm concerned he is a liability, shouldn't be in the starting line-up, let alone captain.

In regard to the Gerrard debate - I also think his time has passed. However, I think he deserves to be at Euro 2012 as he is still one of very few available in midfield who can potentially win a game for us. Sounds like I'm going to argue with myself here - which I probably am.

Gerrard has done some quite outstanding things in his career but I have to agree that his style of play simply does not suit the international game. As has been said, he tries far too many glory-balls and thus gives the ball away too much. At international level we need to keep possession as generally once we give it away we don't get it back for 5 minutes. We can't score if we don't have the ball.

He's all well and good in the hustle bustle high tempo more direct style Premier League, but he doesn't cross-over well to international style in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to a future of Wilshere's composure, Cleverly's artistry and perhaps Rodwell's/Jones' solidity in our centre midfield. These guys are much more suited to the international style - where it is a patient thinking man's game, not a glory-ball seeking game.

Saying that (and this is where I contradict myself!) - he does get his fair share of goals. So let him have this tournament (which we are not going to do very well in anyway), and then get rid of him, start again and bring the kids through.

England's future depends on the attitude our young players develop; if they concentrate on becoming celebrities like the last lot then we'll have no chance. If they realise their potential then who knows? For example..

Gk: Hart

Rb: Walker

Cb: Jones

Cb: Caulker

Lb: Gibbs

Mid: McEachran/Rodwell

Mid: Wilshere

Mid: Cleverly/Barkley

Lm: Oxlade Chamberlain

Rm: Sturridge

St: Welbeck

They won't all become great but there's definite potential there

England's future depends on the attitude our young players develop; if they concentrate on becoming celebrities like the last lot then we'll have no chance. If they realise their potential then who knows? For example..

Gk: Hart

Rb: Walker

Cb: Jones

Cb: Caulker

Lb: Gibbs

Mid: McEachran/Rodwell

Mid: Wilshere

Mid: Cleverly/Barkley

Lm: Oxlade Chamberlain

Rm: Sturridge

St: Welbeck

They won't all become great but there's definite potential there

That team has alot of talent.

Goalkeepers:

Jack Butland - Birmingham - 19

Jamal Blackman - Chelsea - 18

Right Backs:

Nathaniel Clyne - Crystal Palace - 21

Kyle Walker - Tottenham - 21

Jon Flanagan - Liverpool - 19

Martin Kelly - Liverpool - 22

Jamal Lascelles - Nottingham Forest - 18

Left Backs:

Joe Bennett - Middlesbrough - 22

Jack Robinson - Liverpool - 18

Luke Shaw - Southampton - 16

Keiran Gibbs - Arsenal - 22

Centre Backs:

Phil Jones - Manchester United - 20

Chris Smalling - Manchester United - 22

Steven Caulker - Tottenham Hotspur - 20

Ryan Bennett - Norwich - 22

Craig Dawson - West Brom - 22

Lewis Dunk - Brighton - 20

Eric Dier - 18 - Sporting Lisbon

Nathaniel Chalobah - Chelsea - 17

Centre Midfielders:

Jordan Henderson - Liverpool - 22

Tom Cleverley - Manchester United - 22

Jack Rodwell - Everton - 21

Jack Wilshere - Arsenal - 20

Henri Lansbury - Arsenal - 21

Josh McEachran - Chelsea - 19

Jonjo Shelvey - Liverpool - 20

George Thorne - West Brom - 19

Ross Barkley - Everton - 18

Jacon Butterfield - Barnsley - 21

Tom Carroll - Tottenham - 19

Jordon Mutch - Birmingham - 20

Dan Gosling - Newcastle - 22

Ravel Morrison - West Ham - 19

Wingers:

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - Arsenal - 18

Wilfried Zaha - Crystal Palace - 19

Cameron Stewart - Hull - 21

Nathan Redmond - Birmingham - 18

Strikers:

Danny Welbeck - Manchester United - 21

Daniel Sturridge - Chelsea - 22

Connor Wickham - Sunderland - 19

Nick Powell - Crewe - 18

Harry Kane - Tottenham - 18

Max Clayton - Crewe - 17

Raheem Stirling - Liverpool - 17

There are some good young 'uns there. Not all will make it and some will bomb completely, but a number of those should be members of the full England squad for a long time to come.

I think we need to have a more long-term goal once these Euro's are over. We really need to get rid of the old and ring in the new. We have to plan for the Euro's in 4 years time in France. Anyone already over 30 is highly unlikely to be around for those, so we have to forego the Brazil World Cup in 2014 and plan for the 2016 tournament instead.

Of the current squad, that means once these Euro's are done with, we have to bomb out Green, Cole, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Barry & Parker. I know Cole remains one of the best left-backs in the world, and maybe if we had to keep one experienced player it could be him.

We can also bomb out Johnson, Lescott, Jagielka, Baines, Downing, Milner, Henderson & Defoe - all are not good enough I'm afraid to say. I'd arguably chuck Walcott out too though would give him a chance to see if Wenger can actually turn him into a player with product and not just pace.

So, of the current squad that will leave us with : Hart, Butland, Cahill, Jones, Kelly, Walcott, Young, A.Johnson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Rooney, Welbeck & Carroll.

We need to add the following to the squad and get them more experience at international level now, not wait until they are in their late 20's : Richards, Smalling, Walker, Cleverley, Rodwell, Wilshere, Sturridge.

Of the rest of the listed youngsters, perhaps throw in Flanagan, Gibbs, Caulker, McEachran, Barkley, Frimpong (not listed), Wickham, Kane & Powell.

I'd love to see a starting line-up of :

GK - Hart

RB - Walker

LB - Cole/Gibbs

CB - Cahill

CB - Jones

DM - Frimpong

CM - Wilshere

ACM - Cleverley

LW - Young

RW - Oxlade-Chamberlain

ST - Rooney

Probably won't happen but that's my opinion anyways!!

There are some good young 'uns there. Not all will make it and some will bomb completely, but a number of those should be members of the full England squad for a long time to come.

I think we need to have a more long-term goal once these Euro's are over. We really need to get rid of the old and ring in the new. We have to plan for the Euro's in 4 years time in France. Anyone already over 30 is highly unlikely to be around for those, so we have to forego the Brazil World Cup in 2014 and plan for the 2016 tournament instead.

Of the current squad, that means once these Euro's are done with, we have to bomb out Green, Cole, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Barry & Parker. I know Cole remains one of the best left-backs in the world, and maybe if we had to keep one experienced player it could be him.

We can also bomb out Johnson, Lescott, Jagielka, Baines, Downing, Milner, Henderson & Defoe - all are not good enough I'm afraid to say. I'd arguably chuck Walcott out too though would give him a chance to see if Wenger can actually turn him into a player with product and not just pace.

So, of the current squad that will leave us with : Hart, Butland, Cahill, Jones, Kelly, Walcott, Young, A.Johnson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Rooney, Welbeck & Carroll.

We need to add the following to the squad and get them more experience at international level now, not wait until they are in their late 20's : Richards, Smalling, Walker, Cleverley, Rodwell, Wilshere, Sturridge.

Of the rest of the listed youngsters, perhaps throw in Flanagan, Gibbs, Caulker, McEachran, Barkley, Frimpong (not listed), Wickham, Kane & Powell.

I'd love to see a starting line-up of :

GK - Hart

RB - Walker

LB - Cole/Gibbs

CB - Cahill

CB - Jones

DM - Frimpong

CM - Wilshere

ACM - Cleverley

LW - Young

RW - Oxlade-Chamberlain

ST - Rooney

Probably won't happen but that's my opinion anyways!!

Definitely wont happen, Frimpong is going to play for another country, that I cant recall the name of, I believe.

Definitely wont happen, Frimpong is going to play for another country, that I cant recall the name of, I believe.

You're right - my mistake. He has pledged himself to Ghana. But I say have a word with him now and change his mind. He's not been called up for Ghana yet so can still play for England if we persuade him.

It does...but not "World Class" talent is it?

Give them a chance; the point is that they're largely young players who have yet to reach their full potential. The problem we tend to have in this country is that players never reach that potential

WRT Gerrard and 'Hollywood passes" I read in the paper last week that Roy was vv keen on "5 passes max then get it forward" seems he is not a proponent of the possession for possession's sake school. Consequently, do not be surprised if we see an awful lot more of the long ball over the next two/ three weeks. When they come off they look inspired and visionary, they just don't come off anywhere near often enough.

The days of passing it around, waiting for an opening are gone though so Hollywood it will be. On the ( not common enough) occasions that Gerrard get it right ( think when Torres was at Liverpool) it is fab and very effective, when he gets it wrong- well, you saw on Saturday.

Either way, expect to see more of the same.

My issue is the passion of the England players. This is why I wanted Rednapp in charge. The England job is like no other job in football. Its not about signing players or huge tactics, its about motivation and desire. Look at Greece a few years ago. 99% of the England squad wanted Rednapp in charge, and I believe this to be another blunder by the FA. I've watched every single England home game for the past 3 years, and the football under Capello was woeful. I was hoping for another Euro 96 where everyone was on high and what we lacked in footballing ability we made up in team spirt and desire. Undet Roy I can't see this happening.

Also, what on earth id Henderson and Downing doing in the squad? Surely Andy Johnson is a millon times the player that Downing will ever be. Why can nobody see it?

WRT Gerrard and 'Hollywood passes" I read in the paper last week that Roy was vv keen on "5 passes max then get it forward" seems he is not a proponent of the possession for possession's sake school. Consequently, do not be surprised if we see an awful lot more of the long ball over the next two/ three weeks. When they come off they look inspired and visionary, they just don't come off anywhere near often enough.

The days of passing it around, waiting for an opening are gone though so Hollywood it will be. On the ( not common enough) occasions that Gerrard get it right ( think when Torres was at Liverpool) it is fab and very effective, when he gets it wrong- well, you saw on Saturday.

Either way, expect to see more of the same.

The "5 passes and forward" thing was misreported; it was a training match to test the defence and Hodgson has since said that instruction was just to make sure the defenders were getting more time on or close to the ball. Hodgson will have us counter attack though, he's a conservative manager in that respect. Personally though, I think the personel we have are for more suited to counter-attacking football than the possession game anyway

My issue is the passion of the England players. This is why I wanted Rednapp in charge. The England job is like no other job in football. Its not about signing players or huge tactics, its about motivation and desire. Look at Greece a few years ago. 99% of the England squad wanted Rednapp in charge, and I believe this to be another blunder by the FA. I've watched every single England home game for the past 3 years, and the football under Capello was woeful. I was hoping for another Euro 96 where everyone was on high and what we lacked in footballing ability we made up in team spirt and desire. Undet Roy I can't see this happening.

Also, what on earth id Henderson and Downing doing in the squad? Surely Andy Johnson is a millon times the player that Downing will ever be. Why can nobody see it?

I give you Keegan. Worst disaster of a England maanger for a long time. he was all about passion. i firmly believe Rednapp would have caused the same mess.

Euro 96 we were awful, there is some sort of Myth that the messiah El tel did a great job, he didn't, we were rubbish for pretty much the whole touranment apart from the dutch game. We struggled and looked poor and spawned ourself to a semi. With everything in our favour we still looked awful. i do not and never have looked baclk at euro 96 with misty eyes, it was our last real chance at international level to do something and we failed miserably playing poorly through most of it. I think people got carried away by the euphoria of it all and remember it differently to what it actually was.

I give you Keegan. Worst disaster of a England maanger for a long time. he was all about passion. i firmly believe Rednapp would have caused the same mess.

Euro 96 we were awful, there is some sort of Myth that the messiah El tel did a great job, he didn't, we were rubbish for pretty much the whole touranment apart from the dutch game. We struggled and looked poor and spawned ourself to a semi. With everything in our favour we still looked awful. i do not and never have looked baclk at euro 96 with misty eyes, it was our last real chance at international level to do something and we failed miserably playing poorly through most of it. I think people got carried away by the euphoria of it all and remember it differently to what it actually was.

I do NOT agree with this! We were Gazzas studs away from the final. Seamans saves and Pearces penalty v Spain in the shoot out. Gazzas goal against the Scots. Our 4-1 demolition of Holland is my all time favourite England match.

Our best tournamant for years.

Note to Roy: Please practice penalties (although I'm not sure we will get that far)...

I do NOT agree with this! We were Gazzas studs away from the final. Seamans saves and Pearces penalty v Spain in the shoot out. Gazzas goal against the Scots. Our 4-1 demolition of Holland is my all time favourite England match.

Our best tournamant for years.

Note to Roy: Please practice penalties (although I'm not sure we will get that far)...

We were Awful, like I said apart from the Dutch game, we were garbage, and it matters not how you dress it up, we could have quite easily not have made it out of the groups.

We played spain, and both teams were poor and we scraped through on penalties, and then we lost again in penalties against The germans where we played okay.

Take away a Okay game against the Germans and a great game against the Dutch, there was really very little to shout home about.

Like I say people remember it as being far better than it actually was. What made it good was that it was in our country and the euphoria that went with it. What went on , on the pitch was another thing entirely.

some of this is a bit ott,

We won 1-0 the first win against Norway in 32 years,

it was our b team and we played poor throughout but thats what friendlys are about 8 of that starting 11 won't play in the euros that was all about fringe players getting a bit of time,

Roy is the man to bring through the younger generation the old "Goldern" generation lacked workrate and liked the celebraty life style too much,

Get that out of the next generation and we will be a quarter final team again

We were Awful, like I said apart from the Dutch game, we were garbage, and it matters not how you dress it up, we could have quite easily not have made it out of the groups.

We played spain, and both teams were poor and we scraped through on penalties, and then we lost again in penalties against The germans where we played okay.

Take away a Okay game against the Germans and a great game against the Dutch, there was really very little to shout home about.

Like I say people remember it as being far better than it actually was. What made it good was that it was in our country and the euphoria that went with it. What went on , on the pitch was another thing entirely.

That is what makes football so great... It is full of opinions. You have yours, I have mine, and everybody else has theirs!

The first game v Switzerland was poor granted, but we never play well in the first game, but after that it was a good tournamant (IMO).

That is what makes football so great... It is full of opinions. You have yours, I have mine, and everybody else has theirs!

The first game v Switzerland was poor granted, but we never play well in the first game, but after that it was a good tournamant (IMO).

Indeed, would be a very boring world if we all agreed.

But as Holloway said "You are Wrong!" ;)

some of this is a bit ott,

We won 1-0 the first win against Norway in 32 years,

it was our b team and we played poor throughout but thats what friendlys are about 8 of that starting 11 won't play in the euros that was all about fringe players getting a bit of time,

Roy is the man to bring through the younger generation the old "Goldern" generation lacked workrate and liked the celebraty life style too much,

Get that out of the next generation and we will be a quarter final team again

I think that the fringe players shouldn't have ben a apart of this, it should have been his 23 (discarding injuries). He has little time to form an opinion, but he has formed it enough to pick his squad, I see there is very little to gain from playing players who will not be going, this is the time that the players should be together preparing for the Euros.

It was a pretty bland performance, but to be honest, unless you are completely off your head, I doubt anyone would have expected any different. A win in Oslo is good. In terms of performance, that is pretty much what we are going to get throughout the Euros, as the players we have are just not that great. So it is best we get used to it, and see if Roy can make us hard to beat and snatch goals. Judging by this game, he has started out okay, he did just that. If people are expecting fast free flowing football, I would suggest they haven''t watched england in the past 30 years!

Archived