IGNORED

Everything Olympic Football Related (Merged)

Eastend 75

Total joke

Football along with the likes of Tennis

should have no place in the olypics.

As there is a GB team taking part they should

pick the best player avaliable

Not Top ticket salesman like Beckham

At least it's a sensible sport, unlike synchronised swimming, rhythmic gymnastics etc.

I don't know why we didn't take advantage of the Olympics being here to introduce some sports like cricket and darts, where we could up our medal haul.

Also got Cardiff tickets on 4th August... Will hopefully be Team GB. I'm looking forward to watching it, but I am slightly disappointed if it's true that we've picked Craig Bellamy. Don't think he's good enough, or a good representitive. Oh well.

Well it may suprise a few ( including me) but all GB group games are sold out. I have therefore taken a gamble that they will win group A and bought tickets for Millennium stadium on Sat Aug 4 th where said winners ( hopefully GB!) will be playing runners up of group B ( either Swiss or Mexico) - so hopefully they win and hopefully it will a sell out and a good atmosphere. Game kicks off at 7.45pm too - so a few beers in the afternoon should help ! If they dont win through I will be on here selling 4 tickets for about a tenner- for all 4 !

Only two modern Olympic Games have excluded men's Football (1896 and 1932). Why do people get sniffy about its inclusion nowadays? I can only imagine that people didn't realise this was the case. It's a great way to introduce younger players (it was amateur only until the 80's) who are not quite ready for the senior squad to experience competitive tournament football.

I was living in Newcastle when I applied for tickets so I'm going back up to St. James' Park for Spain/Honduras/Japan/Morocco. Have since moved to Bristol and now wish I had tickets for the Cardiff games which obviously includes a Team GB game.

Personally, I think some of the Scottish, Welsh and to a lesser extent Norn Iron fans have thought way too deeply into the Team GB. It's a one off competition, it won't put their individual Associations in any jeopardy whatsoever.

Well it may suprise a few ( including me) but all GB group games are sold out. I have therefore taken a gamble that they will win group A and bought tickets for Millennium stadium on Sat Aug 4 th where said winners ( hopefully GB!) will be playing runners up of group B ( either Swiss or Mexico) - so hopefully they win and hopefully it will a sell out and a good atmosphere. Game kicks off at 7.45pm too - so a few beers in the afternoon should help ! If they dont win through I will be on here selling 4 tickets for about a tenner- for all 4 !

I would give them up and go watch City v Rovers!!

So if I was to offer my ticket for August 4th at Cardiff, and I only wanted to make my money back, would anyone be interested in buying it?

once footie kicks off and providing GB do well then you will have absolutely no probs selling Aug 4th ticket as GB will be playing - and all group games already sold out- infact you might up making a small profit

The first game in carfiff is Brazil. Cant wait for a bit of Brazilian.

Never mind the arguments on whether football is still warranting an olympic sport, i am just looking forward to seeing some young stars express themselves.

We wont gat a world cup here in the next 20 years so i am going to make the most of the chance to see players from around the world.

Who knows, in 20 years time, you can boast you saw Robertoronzingu del Jesus or whoever is the star player to be. Hopefully you drank slightly less than One Team In Keynsham when you did mind.

The first game in carfiff is Brazil. Cant wait for a bit of Brazilian.

Never mind the arguments on whether football is still warranting an olympic sport, i am just looking forward to seeing some young stars express themselves.

We wont gat a world cup here in the next 20 years so i am going to make the most of the chance to see players from around the world.

Who knows, in 20 years time, you can boast you saw Robertoronzingu del Jesus or whoever is the star player to be. Hopefully you drank slightly less than One Team In Keynsham when you did mind.

I'll remember your vow of temperance the next time we're at a test match.

How popular do people think it will be watching GB football team me personally after watching England I'm not that excited about it but spose bit more footie until the real stuff starts don't expect the songs to be that good

Not planning to watch any of it.

The thought of cheering NON English men/women doesn't appeal.

I suppose the difference between a City side and a GB side is that GB aren't my team.

I support City, regardless of how many foreigners are playing because it's my home town team.

But I class myself as English, and England is my home. Not the Wastelands of Wales, or the untamed terrains that is Scotland, nor for that matter Northern Ireland.

Much prefer Commonwealth games where England stand alone. (Not that athletics appeals anyhow)

Not planning to watch any of it.

The thought of cheering NON English men/women doesn't appeal.

I suppose the difference between a City side and a GB side is that GB aren't my team.

I support City, regardless of how many foreigners are playing because it's my home town team.

But I class myself as English, and England is my home. Not the Wastelands of Wales, or the untamed terrains that is Scotland, nor for that matter Northern Ireland.

Much prefer Commonwealth games where England stand alone. (Not that athletics appeals anyhow)

Why don't you just cheer the 8 or 9 English players in the starting 11 and turn your back, or boo or stick your tongue out or write a letter of complaint to the Daily Telegraph whenever a Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish player does something well?

Personally, I find your position baffling. This is a major tournament that will give many young English players some tournament experience. It's a great thing, and I really hope it becomes something regular every four years, much like the British Lions in rugby does.

Why don't you just cheer the 8 or 9 English players in the starting 11 and turn your back, or boo or stick your tongue out or write a letter of complaint to the Daily Telegraph whenever a Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish player does something well?

Personally, I find your position baffling. This is a major tournament that will give many young English players some tournament experience. It's a great thing, and I really hope it becomes something regular every four years, much like the British Lions in rugby does.

Agree 100%

I just can't get into the olympic spirit it does nothing for me and I won't be watching any of it if I can help it.

Totally agree!

Although that will depend on whether I am sat alone with the curtains drawn when the womens beach volleyball is on!!

To you it may well be a "major" tournament as Wales never seem to be able to qualify for one on their own merits.

As far as I'm concerned, our young English players will gain enough experience in playing in the under 21 Euro's and other age groups of the same competition.

And, as for the Rugby, I'm not that interested in it. I will watch England in the six nations if it doesn't clash with City games, but couldn't care less about the other sides, and I wouldn't go out of my way to watch the British Lions.

I am proud to be English.

But as I previously said, Athletics in general doesn't appeal, and therefore the Olympics isn't a must watch.

It's nothing to do with the Welsh factor. To be honest, interest in the olympic football here is probably lower than in England due to the hoo-har over the independence of the FAW etc.

My point is that it is a pretty major tournament, and a great chance for some experience.

Below is the semi-final line ups from the 2008 olympics..hardly mickey mouse.

Argentina

Line-up

• [18]
    Sergio ROMERO (GK)

• [2]
    Ezequiel GARAY

• [3]
    Luciano MONZON

• [4]
    Pablo ZABALETA

• [5]
    Fernando GAGO