IGNORED

Everything Olympic Football Related (Merged)

Eastend 75

I've got tickets for the Bronze Medal Match third place play-off and the final and even if team GB were to get that far, I would be dissapointed if Beckham was playing. Yes he got us the bid but he's had his chance doing his bit with the media... give someone else a chance...

I'm somewhat dissapointed and I think Beckham has good reason to be upset, especially after he's been a poster boy for the FA and the olympics for years.

Giggs I understand, Bellamy I kinda understand, but Micah Richards instead of Beckham? Very odd, and a little sad.

Micah Richards for right back by the looks of it, Walker pulled as said below, probably would have gone with Kelly if he hadn't been called up to the euro squad, having said that no reason Gunter couldn't have played at right back unless they just want premier league players.

Ryder cup? Who do you support? Surely no one, as you are Proud Englishman, not a proud European!

I'm fine with your stance, it's just your choice of competition you chose, given your previous stance!

I don't particularly support anyside.

My comment was simply that the Ryder Cup is the second greatest world sporting event, in my opinion, after the FIFA world Cup.

Simply spellbinding........ Unlike the Olympics

Glad Beckham is not in the team . The team should be pick on ability and sadly for David is time has gone.

He has done a lot of work for the BOC but I get the feeling that sometimes its all about "Brand Beckham "

I did read in one of the online papers that Becks is a very very proud Londoner.! So proud in fact when growing up he supported a team 200 miles north of his beloved London.

I don't particularly support anyside.

My comment was simply that the Ryder Cup is the second greatest world sporting event, in my opinion, after the FIFA world Cup.

Simply spellbinding........ Unlike the Olympics

We're all different. I'd rather watch paint dry than golf. The Olympics on the other hand... yes please (apart from guff like yachting, shooting, judo etc).

We're all different. I'd rather watch paint dry than golf. The Olympics on the other hand... yes please (apart from guff like yachting, shooting, judo etc).

No problem with that Red-Robbo, one mans water etc,.........

Glad Beckham is not in the team . The team should be pick on ability and sadly for David is time has gone.

He has done a lot of work for the BOC but I get the feeling that sometimes its all about "Brand Beckham "

I did read in one of the online papers that Becks is a very very proud Londoner.! So proud in fact when growing up he supported a team 200 miles north of his beloved London.

Blame his parents, not him: they're both United fans, so he got it from them. IMO, one of the few valid exceptions to the "you should always support your local team" rule is overbearing parental influence.

For me it depends on what Olympics football is. Is it a serious competition or is it exhibition? If it's the former then Pearce is quite entitled to pick the team he thinks will win. Frankly I'd be very surprised if Beckham was in that team.

If it's exhibition stuff then yes Beckham can play and so can a whole host of other celebs.

I guess it depends on what you want.

Personally I think fair play to Pearce for not kowtowing to media/celeb glossy mags influence.

As for Olympic football, like the Olympics itself I'll doubt I'll watch a minute of it.

Argentina won the last Gold Medal with Aquero and Messi in their side amongst others.

Hardly an exhibition side.

Brazil have chosen David Luiz as one of their over age players - he's 25. I can't see how Craig Bellamy or Ryan Giggs can be considered to be one of the 3 best British players over the age of 23 who wasn't in the England squad.Seems to be a nod to the fact that one of the games is in Cardiff.

The fact is, this is the olympics and most in this country don't treat it seriously because we've never been involved. It's not on a par with the World Cup, or even the Euros or Copa America. But it is important. It hasn't helped our young players development that the UK has such a schizophrenic status in sport.

On another note, the whole discussion about Beckham refers to him as some kind of legend. The fact is that as an England player, Stuart Pearce gave more and achieved more. Him and Platt are the only players who played in the Semi Finals in 1990 and 1996, the only real achievements since 1966. Beckham was, in my opinion, by some way the most overrated footballer in the history of the English game. He should be lauded for his efforts in London getting the Olympics and the World Cup bid, but this is proper sport and giving him a place in what is a small squad (18) would have been ridiculous. We might as well have let Bobby Charlton play as well.

To answer your points:-

i)Correct, I don't watch the olympics, whether it be GB or not. Simply put... IT DOESN'T APPEAL to me

ii)I class myself as English.

iii)I'm sorry you think my attitude stinks. Such is life.

I think the criticism is a little harsh, to be honest, just because I'm not jumping on the Olympic band wagon.

Dare I admit that I also don't watch Wimbledon fortnight?

Dare I admit that I very rarely watch Premier League football? I find it a little soulless.

However, I personally think the greatest World sporting event after the FIFA World Cup is Golfs Ryder Cup.

I do play golf, so I have an interest.

Nowt to do with any Olympic bandwagon.

Its your elitist attitude.

Not so bothered about the GB games, what with it being a bit of an alien concept. Will probably watch them on the box tho

The real opportunity us to see brazil and to a lesser extent Uruguay. As somebody mentioned before, both nations take the olympics very seriously, especially brazil have they've never won it and have few competitive games before the world cup.

I think david luiz, hulk (apparently going to Chelsea) and thiago silva are the over-age players. And then you've got neymar, ganso, pato etc. Playing against Egypt at millennium stadium and I can't wait!

Blame his parents, not him: they're both United fans, so he got it from them. IMO, one of the few valid exceptions to the "you should always support your local team" rule is overbearing parental influence.

Remind me again the overbearing parental influence in your case..... Which luckily you resisted.

Do agree though. My kids support my team or move out.

I haven't sifted through the replies on here but...

All though I like the guy. We can't just pick him cuz he was envolved with us getting the Olympics. He's a real ledge I know but if I'd of helped London to get the Olympics would it be a shambles if I didn't get picked? Nope. Got to be based on taking the best team available.

Why don't you just cheer the 8 or 9 English players in the starting 11 and turn your back, or boo or stick your tongue out or write a letter of complaint to the Daily Telegraph whenever a Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish player does something well?

Personally, I find your position baffling. This is a major tournament that will give many young English players some tournament experience. It's a great thing, and I really hope it becomes something regular every four years, much like the British Lions in rugby does.

The British and Irish Lions, you mean ;)

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland, Jason Steele

Def: Ryan Bertrand, Steven Caulker, Craig Dawson, Danny Rose, Micah Richards, Neil Taylor, James Tomkins

Midfielders: Joe Allen, Tom Cleverley, Jack Cork, Ryan Giggs, Aaron Ramsey, Scott Sinclair

Forwards: Craig Bellamy, Marvin Sordell, Daniel Sturridge

Archived