IGNORED

Things I'd Rather Do Than Tennis...

Fordy62

Yawn! another I can't think of anything to talk about so i'll slag off something I don't like thread. I'm not a massive fan of tennis but I still get into the wimbledon spirit, and let's be honest Murray is the only decent prospect in British tennis at the moment so I would rather support him than some Spaniard

Spot on chap

Not spot on

Nadal beats Murray 13 times, Murray beats Nadal 5 times

Murray beats Federer 8 times, Federer beats Murray 7 times

Murray beats Djokovic 5 times Djokovic beats Murray 8 times

That tells me Murray can beat them all and quite regularly. But can't In the biggest tournaments. He is quite capable of beating them when the pressure isn't on.

Big Scottish bottler if you ask me.

I went to Wimbledon yesterday. It's a good atmosphere although I did feel like a working class spy. They don't do chips!

Yes they do, they are the red variety, and you dunk them in cream!

Not spot on

That tells me Murray can beat them all and quite regularly. But can't In the biggest tournaments. He is quite capable of beating them when the pressure isn't on.

All three you mention are better players than Murray. Thats why they are 1,2 and 3 whilst Murray is 4th.

Did get some red chips. Don't get a lot for your money but they're damn tasty. I lied actually. You can get the more traditional potato chips but for 9 quid with Cajun chicken.

Rip off ain't it :)

But at least it doesn't taste bad like the over priced offerings at the gate!

Only went once, whole thing was expensive, and I can't say I am a massive tennis fan, but it was quite good live, atmosphere is a little less cringeworthy than it appears on tv.

All three you mention are better players than Murray. Thats why they are 1,2 and 3 whilst Murray is 4th.

They are better mentally that is for sure. I've seen Murray tear them apart when the pressure wasn't on. tells you all you need to know.

Not spot on

The matches Murray has won in have mostly been over 3 sets. When it comes to 5 sets in grand slams...He falls short.

Not spot on

Massive difference in slams being best of 5 sets. I don't like Murray but call him a bottler is ridiculous

The matches Murray has won in have mostly been over 3 sets. When it comes to 5 sets in grand slams...He falls short.

Indeed, so what is it? Fitness, bottle or both. People keep saying he is one of the fittest on tour, something you could not accuse him of when he was young, and was often blowing up.

For me in his early years he failed badly the longer the match went on. he sorted that out. So it leave some sort of mental block, either because of the length of the match, or the importance of the competition....

So as I said at the very start, he will for me , be classed as a bottler, until he overcomes it.

Trouble is, we British like a plucky loser, the more people say, ah he was unlucky, ah the other 3 are better ah poor Andy, failed again, the more he ca quite happily live with being a plucky loser in the biggest tournaments.

he needs a kick up the ass, and Hopefully Lendal can get the big daft soft head sorted out.

Indeed, so what is it? Fitness, bottle or both. People keep saying he is one of the fittest on tour, something you could not accuse him of when he was young, and was often blowing up.

For me in his early years he failed badly the longer the match went on. he sorted that out. So it leave some sort of mental block, either because of the length of the match, or the importance of the competition....

So as I said at the very start, he will for me , be classed as a bottler, until he overcomes it.

Trouble is, we British like a plucky loser, the more people say, ah he was unlucky, ah the other 3 are better ah poor Andy, failed again, the more he ca quite happily live with being a plucky loser in the biggest tournaments.

he needs a kick up the ass, and Hopefully Lendal can get the big daft soft head sorted out.

3 of the greatest ever to play the game. Like I said any other era he would of won a few slams by now. No disgrace to be the best of the rest.

Strength and Power maybe diminishing as the matches wear on?? But I think it is more a mental issue with the pressure etc..I don't particularly like the fella from what I've seen in interviews. He's a miserable get and the anti England thing is the icing on the cake for me. Im not really bothered when he wins but I'll have a slight snigger when he loses ;)

A bottler with over £20 million in prize money- 10th on the ALLTIME list , even when adjusted for inflation

Wow!! I wish I was a tenth of the bottler Murray is!!

Made 6 out of the last 7 semis in the slams, but unfortunately, the 3 above him are head and shoulders above him in class.

And as for bottling it when it counts, didn't he beat Nadal in the semi of the US open before losing to an inspired Federer?

3 of the greatest ever to play the game. Like I said any other era he would of won a few slams by now. No disgrace to be the best of the rest.

that last paragraph sums it up. No disgrace being the best of the rest.

If Murray has that attitude to professional sport, and those that support have that attitude towards him. He might as well give up now. Completely the wrong headspace for a champion.

Once you win that first slam, the faith in your own ability sky rockets, and with it your game. Just look at Federer before and after his first slam. It was like chalk and cheese.

If and it is a big if, Murray wins one, then the talk could be, the best 4 players that ever lived!

A bottler with over £20 million in prize money- 10th on the ALLTIME list , even when adjusted for inflation

Wow!! I wish I was a tenth of the bottler Murray is!!

Made 6 out of the last 7 semis in the slams, but unfortunately, the 3 above him are head and shoulders above him in class.

And as for bottling it when it counts, didn't he beat Nadal in the semi of the US open before losing to an inspired Federer?

um, I think you will find when it counted, in the final, he lost.

If as a pro, you are happy to be a loser, but pick up a fat pay cheque, fair enough. True champions harbour greater ambitions than that.

As for head and shoulders above him in class, he has beaten Federer more times than Federer has beaten him. Just not when it mattered.

All in the mind, and his ain't strong enough.

TRL and Super...The thing i hate about tennis is people arguing about tennis, call a truce or swap phone numbers...incoming ! ! !

I was getting into the Venus and Serena ladyboy thing, then it all went quiet!

I shall end my witterings now, can't believe I went off on one, tennis doesn't even mean that much to me.

Football and cricket man normally!

I was getting into the Venus and Serena ladyboy thing, then it all went quiet!

I shall end my witterings now, can't believe I went off on one, tennis doesn't even mean that much to me.

Football and cricket man normally!

Sweet reply, wasnt having a pop, but i thought you two might, nice word "witterings" must use it in a future post ! :icecream:

I will only ever watch Wimbledon, but in the spirit of things.

I would rather drive a minibus of Gasheads to a tinpot trophy final at Wembley than watch tennis

I would hope you made sure the final was being played at the millenium stadium before you set off to Wembley.

Archived