IGNORED

Mark Wilson On Trial With Us!

HusseyBCFC

So, Just to clear things up.... People generally don't think that Foster is all that good. (based on someone that has seen him play) Wilson is a good quality right back, who would IMPROVE OUR TEAM, available on a free transfer (yes, I know free isn't free in that way) and people are actually moaning that we don't need someone that our manager seems to think would improve our team??!! Unbelievable!!!

what do you class as a huge signing on fee?

5k 20k 100k?

Not a clue cheif. Just saying we wont be paying HUGE anything (wages , transfer fees or signing on fees). We will however pay reasonable wages , transfer fees and signing on fees. I reckon the times of us paying over the odds are wll and truly over , the keogh deal being an example of this.

So, Just to clear things up.... People generally don't think that Foster is all that good. (based on someone that has seen him play) Wilson is a good quality right back, who would IMPROVE OUR TEAM, available on a free transfer (yes, I know free isn't free in that way) and people are actually moaning that we don't need someone that our manager seems to think would improve our team??!! Unbelievable!!!

How many right backs do we currently have?

Skuse (Midfielder who can play right back)

Wilson J (Centre Back who can play right back)

Carey (Centre who can play right back)

Foster (who is a utility Player not a out and out right back)

Edwards (No xp I like him but would you trust him for a season)

Yea I think we need a decent right back

Exactly right mate. If we end with with Wilson and Foster as our 2 RB's for next season , I reckon they would give each other pretty fierce competition.

Not a clue cheif. Just saying we wont be paying HUGE anything (wages , transfer fees or signing on fees). We will however pay reasonable wages , transfer fees and signing on fees. I reckon the times of us paying over the odds are wll and truly over , the keogh deal being an example of this.

now I know what your getting at, and thats how it should be,

I'll go back to cunningham again I'm guessing we paid about 150 to 250k for him offered him 4 -8k a week in wages and given man city all kind of sell on clauses I'd guess our signing on fees will be between 20 - 100k,

Paying 2.75 for an unproven striker from Crewe or 600k for an unproven scottish striker is over and thank god it is,

Its starting to bring our fans back down to earth

How many right backs do we currently have?

Skuse (Midfielder who can play right back)

Wilson J (Centre Back who can play right back)

Carey (Centre who can play right back)

Foster (who is a utility Player not a out and out right back)

Edwards (No xp I like him but would you trust him for a season)

Yea I think we need a decent right back

Exactly my point!

I good signing for decent value who would improve our team. Perhaps he was not on Del's initial list of targets, but when a player that improves you becomes available, within budget and/or is seen as an investment and may have a resale value, it would be stupid to be so blinkered that you don't have a serious look at him.

now I know what your getting at, and thats how it should be,

I'll go back to cunningham again I'm guessing we paid about 150 to 250k for him offered him 4 -8k a week in wages and given man city all kind of sell on clauses I'd guess our signing on fees will be between 20 - 100k,

Paying 2.75 for an unproven striker from Crewe or 600k for an unproven scottish striker is over and thank god it is,

Its starting to bring our fans back down to earth

When have we ever paid 2.75 for a striker from Crewe...?!

Well hopefully Mark Wilson doesnt read this Thread because he'll probably never sign.

I never thought a player being on trial would cause such mayhem!

Yes we may have other people who can play right back but they are clearly not as good as we are saying they are otherwise we wouldnt have had one of the worst defences in te league last term.

At the end if the day if DM thinks he will improve our team then there is no reason not to sign him, just cut some slack people.

I for one will back every signing we make as im keen to see new faces and see what DM can construct in terms of "his squad or team".

Would be a very good signing

On what basis to you state that...you must be aware then that Wilsons was not offered a new contract at Celtic because of his chronic injury issues... word has it that he will struggle to retain any level of fitness and is essentially a crock...

Yep brilliant signing should fit in well.....

Exactly my point!

I good signing for decent value who would improve our team. Perhaps he was not on Del's initial list of targets, but when a player that improves you becomes available, within budget and/or is seen as an investment and may have a resale value, it would be stupid to be so blinkered that you don't have a serious look at him.

Absolutely I get that. The issue really is the concern that his wage / signing on fee could be better spent elsewhere, or is even an unnecessary expense altogether.

Now I'm not suggesting McInnes will sign a right back which prevents the strengthening of more essential positions, clearly he isn't that short-sighted, but in seemingly frugal times does it make sense to potentially upgrade a position that doesn't require immediate attention. If we are, if we indeed do, signing him simply as an upgrade, then what if we find a right winger better than Adomah, a striker better than Stead, a left back better than Cunnigham. Do we pursue them on the basis they're an upgrade?

Upgrading is brilliant and evolution is essential, but there must be an element of restraint and emphasis on need.

As I said I haven't seen him play nor do I know a great deal about him, he could come in, be a revelation and we'll be questioning how we lived without him. He's been an active member of Celtic's first team squad for the last six years, crude assumption suggests he could make a solid contribution at Championship level. The concern is that he is 8-12k (at a guess) off the wage budget which could have been better used elsewhere or, as said, not at all.

The club have just made x amount of redundancies, throwing 500k a year at someone we don't really need doesn't make a great deal of sense.

Absolutely I get that. The issue really is the concern that his wage / signing on fee could be better spent elsewhere, or is even an unnecessary expense altogether.

Now I'm not suggesting McInnes will sign a right back which prevents the strengthening of more essential positions, clearly he isn't that short-sighted, but in seemingly frugal times does it make sense to potentially upgrade a position that doesn't require immediate attention. If we are, if we indeed do, signing him simply as an upgrade, then what if we find a right winger better than Adomah, a striker better than Stead, a left back better than Cunnigham. Do we pursue them on the basis they're an upgrade?

Upgrading is brilliant and evolution is essential, but there must be an element of restraint and emphasis on need.

As I said I haven't seen him play nor do I know a great deal about him, he could come in, be a revelation and we'll be questioning how we lived without him. He's been an active member of Celtic's first team squad for the last six years, crude assumption suggests he could make a solid contribution at Championship level. The concern is that he is 8-12k (at a guess) off the wage budget which could have been better used elsewhere or, as said, not at all.

The club have just made x amount of redundancies, throwing 500k a year at someone we don't really need doesn't make a great deal of sense.

If we have the opportunity to sign someone who is better than what we have, that comes within budgets OR is a good investment, then YES, I certainly hope and do believe that we would take a serious look at them. It will not be a regular occurence, because generaly improvement = Cost. On the occassions where the opportunity arrises though, then definitly.

It is all about value. Do we have £5million to spend on a player? Do we ****. Would we find £5million if Messi declared a desire to play for Bristol City.....? Of course we would. It is all about value and investment.

If I had my way I'd have a complete new back 5 its been a problem since our second season in the championship,

We never replaced orr when he left, James Wilson his postioning scares me, Edwards I don't know if he can hack it at this level I hope he does because I like him,

Foster is a player who can fit in anywhere on the flanks but isn't a stand out right back,

That leaves us with Skuse as our best right back.....a midfield player I can see why we would want to sign Wilson (injury problems I know but could get over it this season given a decent pre-season)

I have joined this thread late, but I'll stick my two pennies worth in anyway. I have seen Mark Wilson play on many occasions and he is a more than decent acquisition. He is a full back and NOT a centre back. He could play in the centre at a push but McInnes would NOT sign him as a centre back. Foster can play left or right full back or midfield so bringing Wilson in doesn't mean Foster is out of the door. Particularly in away games it may be a wise move to have Foster in front of Wilson or Cunningham depending on who the opposition winger was.

On what basis to you state that...you must be aware then that Wilsons was not offered a new contract at Celtic because of his chronic injury issues... word has it that he will struggle to retain any level of fitness and is essentially a crock...

Yep brilliant signing should fit in well.....

Well, we have just got rid of Ribiero so someone needs to occupy the physio's time.... :)

I'm sure we have a rigorous medical procedure (or rather our insurers will have a rigorous medical procedure) so if he's as much of a crock as you say Dr Dave, it'll come up then

Mark Wilson would be a superb signing for us, Cunningham and Foster cant both be expected to play through 46 + Cup games, so we are going to need someone who is adaptable who can fit in anywhere across the back line. Wilson is a very good option, especially on a free, and someone who can fit in if Cunningham got injured.

Ideally both he and heaton will sign on, Del will then only need a striker and centre back.

Mark Wilson would be a superb signing for us, Cunningham and Foster cant both be expected to play through 46 + Cup games, so we are going to need someone who is adaptable who can fit in anywhere across the back line. Wilson is a very good option, especially on a free, and someone who can fit in if Cunningham got injured.

Ideally both he and heaton will sign on, Del will then only need a striker and centre back.

Ideally not, as I said on page 1/2 he is very injury prone! A good addition at best if he is fit, not worth the gamble!

Archived