IGNORED

Police Earning Their 70K

Barrs Court Red

I understand, it's a serious offence for a football supporter to try entering a football ground after a pre match pint but just 'high jinx' for a pissed up Champagne soaked Toff to enter Ascot. If those football supporters at Walsall had been legitimately arrested and charged then they would have been found 'guilty' in court. They were all found 'not guilty' at the court. For your information, I'm quite happy paying taxes to support the law of the land. What I'm not happy with is the Police charging over and above for what they're already paid to do - e.g. charging excessively for yesterday's football match.

You can't really think that the police are cut out to deal with a Bristol derby without bringing extra numbers in? And it's not an offence to have a pre match pint, but it is to enter while drunk. I can't go into the Walsall incident as I have no knowledge of it, but you don't need me to tell you that there are some grade A tossers who work in policing.

Football has a very different clientele to rugby or horse racing. It's history has dictated the 'entering a designated sports ground while drunk offence' be invented where there hasn't been the need in any other sport.

Point is, I'm sure the bill for yesterday's game was entirely justified. Like someone quite rightly said above, had the game been against a Prem team, the cost would have been less than a quarter I'd have thought.

The problem with the police is not the generally excellent work individual officers do, but that collectively they are all too often literally a law unto themselves.

I'm very far from being a Tory but I have to write that the Conservative Party's Teresa May did really well standing up to the Police at the vipers' nest that was the Police Federation conference in Bournemouth last year. Teresa May had to endure more than 40 minutes of unrelenting Police interogation after her speech but she did not flinch from her central defence that the police were not being singled out for deeper cuts than the rest of the public sector.

The same Police who when we arrived asked where we could go to get a drink, and they said try the club bar lad's long as you keep it friendly your be fine, they are even doing food in there. so with that in mind of we went on POLICE advice

Thanks for that post, you were - basically - lured into a trap. The kind of trap that would have been sprung by Herr Adolf Hitler's SS Gestapo Police. All West Midlands Police involved in this scam should have been immediately dismissed from the Police service with all their generous pension rights and other benefits confiscated. This incident needs to be revisited by the appropriate authorities and action taken against all errant West Midlands Police and CPS support lawyers involved - our country is deep in debt and could save £millions by dismissing all Police and CPS lawyers involved in this scam.

never said they made a profit.

You said :

And what do think is done with that money? I will tell you, its keep more officers in a job ,meaning more of a response if the public need it, you would be shocked to know how many police are on duty these days to respond to calls.

So you seem to be saying more is done with the money charged than to pay the cost of policing the game. That means a profit was made.

The only money that ought to be charged is the cost, not one penny more. Is the £48k the charities got charged the actual cost, the amount that the police had to spend themselves to provide the policing?

A lot of garbage being spouted on here.

Had to laugh at the comment that the policing issue is the fault of football fans, not the police. Tens of thousands of football fans attend football games across the UK every week for ten months of the year without causing any aggro. Being a football fan has never been a criminal offence, as much as the police treat us like criminals.

Next the implication that any one with an issue with the police is a criminal. More nonsense. I have had two encounters with the police, one when I needed their help following a mugging (during which I was assaulted by 5 chavs) and was accused of lying. I guess the chipped tooth, bloody forehead and missing phone wasn't enough. The other was when I was sat on the wall outside the KFC at AG with my 15 year old brother and was accused of looking for trouble by a prat in a shit hat. Like football hooligans would be sat outside the ground where the greatest amount of police congregate, and kick off there!

And if any police apologist would like to suggest I go for a ride along, I'm happy to. They can come for a ride along with me afterwards.

http://www.army.mod....5_502x335-1.jpg

I am not anti police as a result of some vendetta caused by getting caught up to no good or some ill advised studenty desire to "stick it to the man", but as a result of my encounters with them, particularly at the football where it seems they have a licence to act exactly as they please with no consequences.

Good to see (some) sensible debate on this. Makes a change from everyone just slagging them off.

Police have difficult job which is not made any easier by football fans at times

However , the amount of money charged yday was clearly high n surely cud have been a little lower.

On balance though I think its important to say that on the whole the police do do a good job at the gate n I for one feel safe going and during matches

When the mafia demand money for security and say they'll close your business down unless you pay them that is called a protection racket...

This is a very interesting, it makes me think of how the Law operates in Asia, particularly Thailand where the local people just pay the Police directly, give control effectively and so they collect from all the business in their area.

In the UK we would call it corruption, but when you think about, is it any less corrupt than what we have? Thai Police get paid about nothing from the government, they have to buy their uniform, boots, radio gear, guns and they rent their bikes and cars, The same job is being done with less bureaucracy, yet we call it corrupt.

This is a very interesting, it makes me think of how the Law operates in Asia, particularly Thailand where the local people just pay the Police directly, give control effectively and so they collect from all the business in their area.

In the UK we would call it corruption, but when you think about, is it any less corrupt than what we have? Thai Police get paid about nothing from the government, they have to buy their uniform, boots, radio gear, guns and they rent their bikes and cars, The same job is being done with less bureaucracy, yet we call it corrupt.

My cousin sold his house in Bristol at a huge profit during the 1990s. He went to Thailand and invested the money he made in running a bar/pub. He got beaten up on a few occasions and was wondering where the hell the Thai Police were to protect him. He didn't realize he had to pay the Thai Police for protection - when he paid the Thai Police their money he had no further problems from the local gangsters.

My cousin sold his house in Bristol at a huge profit during the 1990s. He went to Thailand and invested the money he made in running a bar/pub. He got beaten up on a few occasions and was wondering where the hell the Thai Police were to protect him. He didn't realize he had to pay the Thai Police for protection - when he paid the Thai Police their money he had no further problems from the local gangsters.

Did he know anyone or anything about Thailand before he went out? Credit to him if he's still out there doing well, it's not easy being Ferang, you need to be pretty adaptable and savvy owning a bar. The Police are your friend, don't ever piss them off or start getting fresh taking down their ID to make a complaint etc, they could kill you, or at least ensure your stay in Thailand is short lived.

Did he know anyone or anything about Thailand before he went out? Credit to him if he's still out there doing well, it's not easy being Ferang, you need to be pretty adaptable and savvy owning a bar. The Police are your friend, don't ever piss them off or start getting fresh taking down their ID to make a complaint etc, they could kill you, or at least ensure your stay in Thailand is short lived.

My cousin blew about £80,000 in Thailand but he was there for quite a few years and he had a great time. He had to keep renewing his 6 month Thai visa by going out of the country to Laos or Cambodia. He came back to the UK and skint a few years ago.

My cousin blew about £80,000 in Thailand but he was there for quite a few years and he had a great time. He had to keep renewing his 6 month Thai visa by going out of the country to Laos or Cambodia. He came back to the UK and skint a few years ago.

I feel his pain, done those runs a few times :crying: , horrible journeys. I usually fly to KL now.

Yeah it too bad, but its about the journey, some people blow 80k on a car and will never experience what he has, think of it like that.

I feel his pain, done those runs a few times :crying: , horrible journeys. I usually fly to KL now.

Yeah it too bad, but its about the journey, some people blow 80k on a car and will never experience what he has, think of it like that.

I've never been to Thailand. From what my cousin told me it's a great country with beautiful scenery and lovely people. Indeed, £80,000 isn't much money in the greater scheme of things. If he'd stayed in this country over the time period he spent in Thailand he'd have probably spent £160,000 on clubbing and partying. He's always been good at making money and even better at spending it.

I'd be the first in line to complain about the ridiculous over policing of football and insane charges (£70k - what's that? £500 per copper?).

The problem is the usual small set of morons. By ashton park today there were a hundred or so blokes throwing cans etc at police and two fifteen year old looking sad sags who were looking for a chase.

A minor incident but idiocy like this gives the plod every excuse they need to get most of their force some juicy triple time extra pay.

Was this before the game? If so I nearly got caught up in that. Sat on the wall minding my own business with a can of natch 10 mins before KO, saw/heard that group come a bit closer and decided to hop over the wall and get out of their way. As I skipped off pretty sharpish two heroes decided to start on me from the road side of the wall. A copper helped me back over the wall and it wasn't until I was walking back over the road they started singing city songs and I realise I could have had my head kicked it by my own "fans", I didn't know if they were gas or city up to then, fortunately they let me be and I do wonder if the natch made them re-consider that I might actually be one of them.

From that moment on I was glad that £5 of my ticket went to coppers. I think next time I'll just stay put.

Was this before the game? If so I nearly got caught up in that. Sat on the wall minding my own business with a can of natch 10 mins before KO, saw/heard that group come a bit closer and decided to hop over the wall and get out of their way. As I skipped off pretty sharpish two heroes decided to start on me from the road side of the wall. A copper helped me back over the wall and it wasn't until I was walking back over the road they started singing city songs and I realise I could have had my head kicked it by my own "fans", I didn't know if they were gas or city up to then, fortunately they let me be and I do wonder if the natch made them re-consider that I might actually be one of them.

From that moment on I was glad that £5 of my ticket went to coppers. I think next time I'll just stay put.

Glad u are ok mate but this unfortunately does sum up the lack of intelligence and idiocy frm a minority of OUR fans. Attacking our own supporter who was just quietly enjoying a cider is a disgrace

Glad u are ok mate but this unfortunately does sum up the lack of intelligence and idiocy frm a minority of OUR fans. Attacking our own supporter who was just quietly enjoying a cider is a disgrace

I think you've missed a really important point - he wasn't attacked???

Not attacked just felt a little bit threatened, something stopped them from going for me, whether that was coppers, the can of natch or my face that probably said I'm about to follow through!

Either way not bitter, the way I see it is every club has em', besides 5 minutes later I was in the Williams singing "runaway" ironic really!

Certainly won't stop me from supporting city, or going to the next derby, might wear my colours next time though!

Yeah that was the incident I'm talking about. Bunch of window licking mucking forons thinking they were hard because about a hundred of them managed to run off a couple of scraggly little teenagers.

It doesn't help our case at all, but I still find it hard to credit an actual cost of £48k for 4 hours policing.

Glad you're alright, don't let the halfwits put you off supporting city. Gradually we're getting rid of them, just a few more to go.

100 potential trouble making Rovers fans left during the 1st half (AKA : Run Away :laughcont: )

'Potential trouble makers' until they got inside Ashton Gate and didn't fancy their chances quite as much and then toddled off back north of the river whilst the streets were empty!

What a bunch of jokers they really are.

I really hope this fixture doesn't become regular, it just gives the scruffy ****ts a big day out they don't deserve.

Read the comments by the officer in charge in todays post, this was all about showing who calls the shots, not public safety.

This Andy Francis idiot is clearly trying to justify a tremendous over response after heroically getting it wrong. What is it with today's police? They haven't got a clue. They should count up their overtime money and be grateful to their boss for giving them a present thank the fans of both sides that they really had nothing to do by way of earning it. I just hope this £70K didn't cost Carey anything.

'Potential trouble makers' until they got inside Ashton Gate and didn't fancy their chances quite as much and then toddled off back north of the river whilst the streets were empty!

What a bunch of jokers they really are.

I really hope this fixture doesn't become regular, it just gives the scruffy ****ts a big day out they don't deserve.

Yeh, "bloody hell, there's more than ten of them, we're off " !

This Andy Francis idiot is clearly trying to justify a tremendous over response after heroically getting it wrong. What is it with today's police? They haven't got a clue. They should count up their overtime money and be grateful to their boss for giving them a present thank the fans of both sides that they really had nothing to do by way of earning it. I just hope this £70K didn't cost Carey anything.

Bloody hell, just read the article.

£112,000 he reckons the operation cost.

Might as well just have kept all his officers at home and offered everyone attending the match £12.40 if they stay out of trouble.

Archived