IGNORED

Team Gb Men's Football: Good Riddance

Chivs

Am I the only person who cheered when hearing that Team GB Men's team had been knocked out of the Olympics?

Yesterday, whilst flicking through the Olympic channels I came across Robbie Savage and Martin Keown on BBC 3 just before the game. I literally felt queasy and switched over immediately.

Watching the rowing, cycling and swimming, I realise now just how dirty and sordid football is. All the athletes have been down to earth and articulate about their sports. In fact, just the opposite of footballers.

How does Stuart Pearce justify making Ryan Giggs his captain. He's a man whom fellow players will say "I admire his wizardry on the wing but I wouldn't introduce him to the wife". Let's be clear, Giggs is a fantastic club footballer. He's also a little shit of a man. And Pearce, in the sordid world of football, thought nothing of making him captain. "Unbelievable" as the ever more boring Hansen would say.

Of course I generalise. There are many good people who are footballers. Drogba has done much charity work in his own country. David James, previously of this manor, similarly has done charity work and is as articulate as the poshest rowing boy. But they are the exception and I come to realise that arrogant, obnoxious, uneducated, unappreciative people are not the only option for world class sportsmen and women.

So, good riddance to the men's football team. I'm glad they are out of the competition. And that's the first time ever I have said that about any team I'm supposed to be supporting. I hope that Scudamore, Murdoch, Lineker and all the other people soiled by English football's grubby touch will sit up and notice. I wouldn't hold my breath.

I can only hope that I never start to feel the same way about Bristol City...

Am I the only person who cheered when hearing that Team GB Men's team had been knocked out of the Olympics?

Yesterday, whilst flicking through the Olympic channels I came across Robbie Savage and Martin Keown on BBC 3 just before the game. I literally felt queasy and switched over immediately.

Watching the rowing, cycling and swimming, I realise now just how dirty and sordid football is. All the athletes have been down to earth and articulate about their sports. In fact, just the opposite of footballers.

How does Stuart Pearce justify making Ryan Giggs his captain. He's a man whom fellow players will say "I admire his wizardry on the wing but I wouldn't introduce him to the wife". Let's be clear, Giggs is a fantastic club footballer. He's also a little shit of a man. And Pearce, in the sordid world of football, thought nothing of making him captain. "Unbelievable" as the ever more boring Hansen would say.

Of course I generalise. There are many good people who are footballers. Drogba has done much charity work in his own country. David James, previously of this manor, similarly has done charity work and is as articulate as the poshest rowing boy. But they are the exception and I come to realise that arrogant, obnoxious, uneducated, unappreciative people are not the only option for world class sportsmen and women.

So, good riddance to the men's football team. I'm glad they are out of the competition. And that's the first time ever I have said that about any team I'm supposed to be supporting. I hope that Scudamore, Murdoch, Lineker and all the other people soiled by English football's grubby touch will sit up and notice. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Can't say I was bothered about them and don't care that they're out. Scots not involved, Welsh players not singing the anthem, even some boos in Cardiff and worst of all a team that I should be supporting having Craig Bellamy in it.

The sooner the Scots b*gger off and we knock down the Severn Bridges the better.

Watching the athletes in other sport I admire all the effort they put in training to be the best no detail is left to chance. Then you watch our footballers take penaltys and quite frankly it's a disgrace . Do they try to improve themselves , do they strive to be the best they can , no. Once they get their big contract they don't give a toss.

It's totally shameful that they don't practise penaltys , it's like Andy Murray not practising serving or a golfer not practising putting.

The GB footballers should look in the mirror and ask themselves did I do everything possible and did I prepare myself to win gold.

I think calling up all the professionals for the Olympics is a bit ridiculous anyway. The games were supposed to be about amateurs who trained for the event, not the likes of Andy Murray who play it compeititvely anyway.

Don't athlete's have all their diamond league stuff as well though? So its not like they don't compete competitively throughout the year with world championships etc as well

I think calling up all the professionals for the Olympics is a bit ridiculous anyway. The games were supposed to be about amateurs who trained for the event, not the likes of Andy Murray who play it compeititvely anyway.

It's a different era now . The majority of all the competors are all professional .

I understand your point that football has become a bit of a joke compared to the true heroes of sport such as Farrah, Ennis and Wiggins. But as someone who was very reluctant to take up supporting a mixed nations team, a thoroughly enjoyed the football and would welcome Team GB back at the next olympics. Having said that I did prefer the women's tournament to the mens - in some instances the quality of football was better and they had the right attitude, just lacking in the application to take them all the way.

Plus, Giggs may have been a bit of a shit with his private life - but that's just it, his private life. I couldn't care less about that - I'd rather remember him as being the finest player Wales has every produced and actually quite a charitable guy too:

http://news.bbc.co.u...ter/7508195.stm

Edit: One thing to take from these tournaments, don't let our goalkeepers pull faces or act like monkeys on the goal line during a penalty shoot out - it's plain embarassing when the striker slots a simple side foot past them every time.

Pearce is an awful manager, he hasn't achieved anything and worringly it seems like the football community is respecting him because of his ties to the horrendous England setup.

GB, with the players available to them, should have breezed through to at least the Semi's if not Final.

But ultimately I don't think any sport, where winning an Olympic gold isn't the biggest achievement, should be involved in the games.

So how many Welsh and Scottish players and staff have we got at City at the moment then? If you hate football that much, then this isn't really the place for you is it.

The game of football is fine - what's wrong is the mass of morons, bullies and thugs that play and watch it.

Get rid of this detritus and we will have a sport fit to take it's place alongside athletics.

Given the so called spirit of the olympics football has no part in it Team GB waste of time and good riddance 3rd rate hotch potch of a squad . Gained nothing by entering apart from the nightmare of souless,plastic football watched by a conned public creating a nothing atmosphere watched half of one game fell asleep bored to tears.

Disagree, this is probably the last time you will see a GB football team, so they are worth supporting. As for the fact the are not educated? I'd put that down to their schooling not their ability to play football. Yes, most are over paid, but they have been for a long time. Even the average BC player is on 5-10K a week I certainly don't earn that kind of money. Playing the game in Cardiff was a little odd I'll grant you that, but it is the GB team! The football wasn't great, but then again they didn't have any prep for the games either. There are a few players that really excelled IMO and thought it was a great opportunity to see some other names on the pitch.

Had a bit of a rant last night with on this last night, Olympics Football will always have place, after all it has beem going longer than the world cup and but maybe not in the current forum

Firstly women's football, it's impossible to guess how much of an positive effect this will have on the ladies team, it's the first time they have really be shown and give the publically on such a huge stage, 70k plus at wembley and major media coverage has firmly them firmly on the map and given the team the respect they deserve for their performances.

As for the men's, it was very much a thrown together team who were expected to instantly gel, us Brits don't respect the competition because simply we've never qualified for it before and unless we improve at u21 level we won't be qualifiying again. south american, african and Asian teams take the competition seriously because it's a rare chance to impress on the world stage as was shown by the squads brought, personally going forward I'd scrap the overage rule, u23's ONLY the likes of Giggs, Bellamy and Richards added nothing and would have been better to keep it as men's under 23 competition.

It will be there in Brazil 2016, however unlikely that the GB team will unless we turn around our youth setup

GB, with the players available to them, should have breezed through to at least the Semi's if not Final.

Sorry but I just don't understand this way of thinking. When it comes down to World football we aren't that good.

We have proved it time and time again, it's only because our club sides are full of foreign talent that they win anything.

Disagree, this is probably the last time you will see a GB football team, so they are worth supporting. As for the fact the are not educated? I'd put that down to their schooling not their ability to play football. Yes, most are over paid, but they have been for a long time. Even the average BC player is on 5-10K a week I certainly don't earn that kind of money. Playing the game in Cardiff was a little odd I'll grant you that, but it is the GB team! The football wasn't great, but then again they didn't have any prep for the games either. There are a few players that really excelled IMO and thought it was a great opportunity to see some other names on the pitch.

Quite a few people have misinterpreted my words. I have no problem with a Team GB (literally Team GB&N.I.) team. I'd be quite happy to support this team from a geographical perspective. My problem is with the idiot morons playing for "our" team. It reminds me of the depressing EPL season that is just around the corner (with attendant Lineker, Hansen and Lawrenson sycophancy).

The interviews last night with Mo, Greg and Jess showed how sports people could all be articulate and just damn friendly people. You'd be hard pressed to find three premiershit footballers like that.

Farrar said that he trains 120 miles a week. If we assume he has Sunday off this means he runs 20 miles each and every day! Most footballers can't even be bothered to get to the afternoon before knocking off.

I'm just pointing out that this Olympics has been fantastic and part of that is finding professional sports people whom I can respect.

Most of the morning I've been talking about "Jess". I've never met her but I'm already on shortened first name terms. I'd rather cut off my toes with a blunt spoon than meet "Wazzer", "StevieG" or "JT".

Quite a few people have misinterpreted my words. I have no problem with a Team GB (literally Team GB&N.I.) team. I'd be quite happy to support this team from a geographical perspective. My problem is with the idiot morons playing for "our" team. It reminds me of the depressing EPL season that is just around the corner (with attendant Lineker, Hansen and Lawrenson sycophancy).

The interviews last night with Mo, Greg and Jess showed how sports people could all be articulate and just damn friendly people. You'd be hard pressed to find three premiershit footballers like that.

Farrar said that he trains 120 miles a week. If we assume he has Sunday off this means he runs 20 miles each and every day! Most footballers can't even be bothered to get to the afternoon before knocking off.

I'm just pointing out that this Olympics has been fantastic and part of that is finding professional sports people whom I can respect.

Most of the morning I've been talking about "Jess". I've never met her but I'm already on shortened first name terms. I'd rather cut off my toes with a blunt spoon than meet "Wazzer", "StevieG" or "JT".

Absolutely agree with all comments from this poster - its exactly how I've been feeling.

The Brit Olympians have done us proud, in terms of effort, grit, athleticism, dedication - and articulateness. It puts our top footballers to shame. With earnings we can only dream of, these footballers have a responsibility to act responsibly, within the rules, and to provide a positive role model for youngsters.

I'm utterly disillusioned with the "top" footballers from the Premier League who constantly grunt, whinge and cheat. The Premier League was probably the worst thing that ever happened to football, in this country. If City ever reach the "promised land" (what a misnomer), I hope they recruit players with some dignity, human conscience and humility - as well as skill, flair and endeavour.

Rant over...

Absolutely agree with all comments from this poster - its exactly how I've been feeling.

The Brit Olympians have done us proud, in terms of effort, grit, athleticism, dedication - and articulateness. It puts our top footballers to shame. With earnings we can only dream of, these footballers have a responsibility to act responsibly, within the rules, and to provide a positive role model for youngsters.

I'm utterly disillusioned with the "top" footballers from the Premier League who constantly grunt, whinge and cheat. The Premier League was probably the worst thing that ever happened to football, in this country. If City ever reach the "promised land" (what a misnomer), I hope they recruit players with some dignity, human conscience and humility - as well as skill, flair and endeavour.

Rant over...

I totally agree with your impassioned denunciation (rant) of our football elite. In comparison to the British team rowers, cyclists, canoeists, track and fielders and others - that have been hauling in golds after years of genuine hard training and hardship - the footballers are seen for what they really are - overpaid prima donnas.

Team GB minus the Team would be better for starters. I mean are we all considered completely dumb by whomever came up with that word? Is it suspected that without that word we might all think its Individual GB? Why is it not Team Germany, or Team China or Team USA? Just dumb.

Team GB minus the Team would be better for starters. I mean are we all considered completely dumb by whomever came up with that word? Is it suspected that without that word we might all think its Individual GB? Why is it not Team Germany, or Team China or Team USA? Just dumb.

What's happened to 'Team Cuba'?.....they used to dominate the boxing.

I don't disagree with everything you've said but the crux of your argument seems to be that because rowers are well spoken and articulate they must be less of a scumbag than a footballer. Perhaps they are more articulate and well spoken because of their public school education? For all you know Mr Rower could beat his wife every night

It is Team USA is it not?

Thats where we got the term from and I hate it.

Anyway I wouldnt say I cheered the fact that we are out, cus it could of been another medal for GB, but Im not to bothered about it.

Was a bit of a joke of a squad, and had a joke of a manager in charge,

I don't disagree with everything you've said but the crux of your argument seems to be that because rowers are well spoken and articulate they must be less of a scumbag than a footballer. Perhaps they are more articulate and well spoken because of their public school education? For all you know Mr Rower could beat his wife every night

............Paul Gascoigne used to beat his wife up and he was idolized by BBC football commentators. An Olympian rower in training would have no energy left after training to even kick the cat.

............Paul Gascoigne used to beat his wife up and he was idolized by BBC football commentators. An Olympian rower in training would have no energy left after training to even kick the cat.

What a great argument... One feted footballer knocked his wife about and all Olympic rowers are too knackered to be assholes

First thing I would like to say is how refreshing and genuine some of the post event interviews have been. A lot of the olympians (Rowers for example) appear not to have had much PR training so you get their true reaction / delight at winning / compeating rather than the standard politian type interview.

Secondly I wish we could just enjoy all the GB competitors and appreciate their skill, effort and humility without everyone always comparing it to football. People always compare anything negative in sport to football or say how much better it is than football. There is no need at all for this in my view. Don't get me wrong there is a lot wrong with football as a sport and also with elements of those that play and support it. But why in a moment of great national pride and celebration we have to use football as a constant barometer is ridculous, surely its much better to celebrate the achievement of the Likes of Jessica Ennis Mo Farrah, Bradley Wiggins, the rowing squad, the cycling squad, etc etc etc

Football remains a power of good in the world, if you look at the rise of African football for instance, the sport gives great opportunity to players and teams to leave the poverty trap and then put some of their newly generated wealth back into the communities from which they came.

Specifically with regard Team GB, the olympics have rasied the profile imeasurably of Hope Powell's teaM and will undoubtley provide a legacy to womens football. As for the men there is nothing new to change the opinion of football fans, the same issues that affect the English national team remain prevalant. A reliance on playing long balls down the channels for quick forwards remains pretty much the standard tactic, with as someone else posted a reliance on foreign talent for technical ability in our doemstic football. Hopefully this will change and a development of U23 players with more technical ability is very important so the olympics in my opinion will very much have a part to play in our improvment for all the Associations within the UK. I hope they doen't waste the opportunity with internal petty politics.

One thing football could learn from other sports most definantely is that quality coaching is vital in order to deliever good results. British cycling shows football the way in this respect for example. Slowly football is waking up to this as show within City's own academy with many more staff being taken on, hopefully improving our young players in the years to come. As well as the dedication and sacrafice that is necessary to reach the top in any sport. Hopefully the fair play legislation will end the gravy train.

PS Well done Andy Murray!

What a great argument... One feted footballer knocked his wife about and all Olympic rowers are too knackered to be assholes

You should watch the film Ben Hur starring Charlton Heston. In that film the rowers are whipped to promote greater effort for victory for their Caesar. For all you know - therefore - it could be the wives of the rowers whipping and generally brutalizing their Olympian husbands as part their rowing training schedule. :farmer:

Archived