IGNORED

Team Gb Men's Football: Good Riddance

Chivs

How do you define a sport then?

Something that isn't played by horribly obese men in a pub? Something that requires more equivalent effort than lifting a pint (which darts players are also good at)? Don't get me wrong; it requires a lot of skill but so does cross stitch and my nan is definitely not a sportswoman

Something that isn't played by horribly obese men in a pub? Something that requires more equivalent effort than lifting a pint (which darts players are also good at)? Don't get me wrong; it requires a lot of skill but so does cross stitch and my nan is definitely not a sportswoman

Okay, so is golf a sport, or American football. How about shooting and archery?

I was joking about darts by the way, hence the pub reference in the Olympic village.

Firstly, may I take the opportunity to apologise for having the temerity to join YOUR website / forum.

(and before you ask, and in response to your prejudicial viewpoint of me; I am a Bristol boy (Bedminster) who has lived all over the city and have supported City for many years - and In this big, wide, world, I follow other teams and sports too).

Your response confirms my point.

Instead of reasoned debate, it's an offensive reply to what is a genuine attempt to understand why we have people who take great pleasure in thuggish, bullying, moronic behaviour. There are many, intelligent, insightful, debates on this forum - but sadly there are also those who assume THEIRS is the ONLY opinion that counts - and they will affirm this arrogance by putting down and insulting any other post they disagree with.

There is a distinct sense of boozer culture in these aggressive responses, echoing the bullying / gang / pecking order of a segment of Bristol pubs. Perhaps this would explain your hostile response - that of a vested interest. The majority of City fans are sensible drinkers who enjoy discussion and debate in a reasonable manner - sadly there are those who cannot handle alcohol... ...they then feel it's their right to abuse people, verbally and physically. These are probably the same men who are domestically abusing wives, partners and girlfriends. It's about time football truly cleaned up and addressed ALL of this - and the same goes for racism too.

Football culture needs a serious clean-out and this has nothing to do with background, education, life-style, or "strangeness," as you infer - there are no excuses for hiding behind anything - it comes down to manners, politeness and civility.

Unless, of course, I am misguided, and football culture IS in fact, all about being vile and abusive, as some would have youi believe - and defend.

That has to be one of the worst comments ive read on here for a while (and that takes some doing)

I knows theres some scum in football but talk about tar us all with the same brush !!

Okay, so is golf a sport, or American football. How about shooting and archery?

I was joking about darts by the way, hence the pub reference in the Olympic village.

My initial reply was also a joke, though I have to hold my hand up say I did it knowing full well that i was 'trolling'

In answer to your question, golf involves far more physical activity than darts, American Football is incredibly physical and even the fatties are pretty fit. Archery is definitely a sport- have you ever tried to draw back a modern bow? And shooting- that British bloke that won gold had to shoot 200 times in that final, I bet that was far tougher than you think

Darts is a pub game

My initial reply was also a joke, though I have to hold my hand up say I did it knowing full well that i was 'trolling'

In answer to your question, golf involves far more physical activity than darts, American Football is incredibly physical and even the fatties are pretty fit. Archery is definitely a sport- have you ever tried to draw back a modern bow? And shooting- that British bloke that won gold had to shoot 200 times in that final, I bet that was far tougher than you think

Darts is a pub game

If shooting is a sport so is darts what the difference (apart from the obvious ).

Apart from darts is not played in Public schools but in public houses is the reason why darts is not an Olympic sport.

If shooting is a sport so is darts what the difference (apart from the obvious ).

Apart from darts is not played in Public schools but in public houses is the reason why darts is not an Olympic sport.

Darts is just a more accurate version of the javelin.... with a shorter run up!

Darts is a pub game

Not entirely sure Daley is the physical specimen you give him credit for!

Shooting, you do not need to be fit, and you can be ad fat as you like, it isn't difficult to shoot, its far more mental than physical, you just can't be pissed when pulling the trigger :) okay you win!

Perhaps the argument should be that it's not a sport if you can get pissed doing it?! :)

As an aside, I'm going to nominate 'naked wrestling in the showers with the Dutch ladies hockey team' as an addition to the next Olympics, with a qualifying standard of being me

They are some fine athletes...

I read the first few posts and gave up, there is some utter shite posted here...

Bellamy was one of the better players and anyone who says he added nothing to the team is blind. This is from someone who detests the guy!

Football has been an Olympic sport way longer than the players have been over paid, it's not footballers faults that the sport got ruined by greed.

Just watched USA v Canada women and was probably the best game of football iv ever watched, the sport should definitely remain an Olympic sport!

I did struggle to support TeamGB Men and to be honest couldn't care less if we enter again, though it is good for some of the younger players to get international experience and tournament experience.

Perhaps the argument should be that it's not a sport if you can get pissed doing it?! :)

As an aside, I'm going to nominate 'naked wrestling in the showers with the Dutch ladies hockey team' as an addition to the next Olympics, with a qualifying standard of being me

They are some fine athletes...

Tell Gazza, Paul McGrath, Tony Adams, George Best and Paul Merson that football isn't a sport. ;)

Tell Gazza, Paul McGrath, Tony Adams, George Best and Paul Merson that football isn't a sport. ;)

Ah, but they can't have a pint while they're playing. Just before kick off, at half time, just after the final whistle, just before training, just after training... that's different!

Darts is just a more accurate version of the javelin.... with a shorter run up!

...or archery, without the mega expensive bows.

TBH darts is more of a sport in my view than gymnastics, diving, dressage, skating, synchronised swimming etc etc all of which may require high levels of skill and/or physical strength but rely on the whims of judges to be marked. And in some cases 'artistic merit' comes into it.

If you're going to mark things on artistic merit, you may as well have acting as an Olympic sport!

Sports - for me - are things that can be measured by fastest/highest/longest or by points/goals.

On another point, this article backs up the earlier argument on this thread that we simply bought our 2012 success with oodles of lottery and tax money. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19144983

...or archery, without the mega expensive bows.

TBH darts is more of a sport in my view than gymnastics, diving, dressage, skating, synchronised swimming etc etc all of which may require high levels of skill and/or physical strength but rely on the whims of judges to be marked. And in some cases 'artistic merit' comes into it.

If you're going to mark things on artistic merit, you may as well have acting as an Olympic sport!

Sports - for me - are things that can be measured by fastest/highest/longest or by points/goals.

On another point, this article backs up the earlier argument on this thread that we simply bought our 2012 success with oodles of lottery and tax money. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19144983

Until (I think) the second world war, medals were awarded for competitions such as poetry writing and architecture. To a certain extent you could add boxing to your list of non sports as the difference between a win or a loss could be the interpretation of a judge as to whether a punch landed or not. I agree with you on the dressage actually; it's just sitting on a dancing horse in your top hat and tails, looking like someones shoved a marrow up your bum. Gymnastics and diving though are scored more rigidly than you think, with set points given for set things. I won't hear a bad word said about synchronised swimming though; great legs some of those young ladies...

If you regard 'properly funding athletes' as 'buying medals' then I guess you're right, but there are very few elite sports in which you can compete in without money and time these days. Everyone does it so it just comes down to whether you prioritise such investments. It does filter down to grassroots though, just pop to Manchester velodrome, for example, outside of competitions and the cycling club there has dozens of kids flying round on borrowed bikes

If you regard 'properly funding athletes' as 'buying medals' then I guess you're right, but there are very few elite sports in which you can compete in without money and time these days. Everyone does it so it just comes down to whether you prioritise such investments. It does filter down to grassroots though, just pop to Manchester velodrome, for example, outside of competitions and the cycling club there has dozens of kids flying round on borrowed bikes

I'm not against funding them, Chippy. I was pointing out earlier on this thread that we were by no means the only country doing so.

Mind you, the calculation in that article that the Olympics has cost every UK taxpayer £400 is a bit sobering...

It is not about being polite. It is about having the ability and confidence to string meaningful sentences together when speaking in public.

What a stupid statement . So only Public school boys have the ability to speak with confidence and have anything meanful to say. Well the rest of the 93% of the population should bow down to our rulers and know our place .

It is not about being polite. It is about having the ability and confidence to string meaningful sentences together when speaking in public.

I know that I couldn't speak in public. When I see anyone struggling in front of a camera I can totally understand if they find it difficult. It hasn't anything to do with where you went to school.

I think that proves my point.

You point being that only Public School education produce people who are able to speak in public and have anything meaning to say and thus inferring that state eduction is worthless and so are the people who go through that system.

So what point have you proved, apart from you view being condescending and slightly arrogant , did you attend public school by any chance?

You point being that only Public School education produce people who are able to speak in public and have anything meaning to say and thus inferring that state eduction is worthless and so are the people who go through that system.

I didn't say that at all.

Everybody has something meaningful to say and has the right to say it. I am a great believer in state education - but I believe it lets the pupils down badly in many cases, one of them being the use of English and another the confidence to cope with verbal communication.

I didn't say that at all.

Everybody has something meaningful to say and has the right to say it. I am a great believer in state education - but I believe it lets the pupils down badly in many cases, one of them being the use of English and another the confidence to cope with verbal communication.

Ok

Thanks for Drew. I wasn't sure where you were coming from. Don't agree with all you say. I do think the brighter children do get and all children gets a good education . You only get out of it what you put in and they are a section of society who unfortunately don't put enough in to their education.

Ok

Thanks for Drew. I wasn't sure where you were coming from. Don't agree with all you say. I do think the brighter children do get and all children gets a good education . You only get out of it what you put in and they are a section of society who unfortunately don't put enough in to their education.

My biggest bugbear is the lack of expectation by the teachers, if this is combined with parents who don't take much of an interest it is a massive recipe for under-achievement. That is the biggest difference between state and private education in my experience.

My biggest bugbear is the lack of expectation by the teachers, if this is combined with parents who don't take much of an interest it is a massive recipe for under-achievement. That is the biggest difference between state and private education in my experience.

There is undoubted a minority of parents who don't take much of an interest in their child's education for various reasons. The big difference is that if you paying for it you would want to get value for money and you expect the highest standards. My eldest child is 11 and this year at junior school her and a couple of her classmates sat a GSCE Maths paper(unofficially) so there are teachers in the state system who do really push their pupils.

What a stupid statement . So only Public school boys have the ability to speak with confidence and have anything meanful to say. Well the rest of the 93% of the population should bow down to our rulers and know our place .

I know teenagers who have been in business competitions against public school boys.

They said that the public schools all can speak well and confidently in public due to experience, which gave them the edge at presenting.

Archived