IGNORED

Team Gb Men's Football: Good Riddance

Chivs

I know, but I took the inference that you believe lottery funding to be a form of state subsidy. As most of the money comes from individuals buying lottery tickets, I'm pointing out that if it's 'disguised state funding', it is from a privatised source

I'm not sure of the exact contract that Camelot has with the UK Government but the Government seems to have dictated to Camelot where the money for 'good causes' is given. Much of that money seems to be financing better sports facilities - an excellent idea as far as I'm concerned.

Out of Interest..What category does Adam Gemili fit into? Being an ex pro at Dagenham & Redbridge now turned into Teenage race sensation by chance is it self indulged, big time Charlie prima Donna or articulate, lovable, Olympian? #justsaying

Left the sport which could have seen him make bigger £££ than being a sprinter probably, the switch could have seen him fall flat on his face however he managed to get to the 100m semi final and ran just over 10 secs, so if anything just a change in career.

Out of Interest..What category does Adam Gemili fit into? Being an ex pro at Dagenham & Redbridge now turned into Teenage race sensation by chance is it self indulged, big time Charlie prima Donna or articulate, lovable, Olympian? #justsaying

I imagine the phrases "big time charlie prima donna" and "Dagenham & Redbridge" have never appeared in the same sentence before.

Usain Bolt is an interesting example here. He's undoubtedly a pleasant, articulate guy. He's also a bit up his own arse with all the gestures to camera etc. I suspect when he was a club runner in Jamaica that he was as nice as can be. Now that fame and fortune have caught up with him, he's starting to morph into a premiershit player.

Perhaps premiershit players aren't born that way but have loucheness, gaucheness and general all round nasty behaviour thrust upon them?

I imagine the phrases "big time charlie prima donna" and "Dagenham & Redbridge" have never appeared in the same sentence before.

Usain Bolt is an interesting example here. He's undoubtedly a pleasant, articulate guy. He's also a bit up his own arse with all the gestures to camera etc. I suspect when he was a club runner in Jamaica that he was as nice as can be. Now that fame and fortune have caught up with him, he's starting to morph into a premiershit player.

Perhaps premiershit players aren't born that way but have loucheness, gaucheness and general all round nasty behaviour thrust upon them?

I was just talking about footballers in general and how easy it is to judge them from a far. I for one would probably find it difficult to control my lifestyle if I earned 100k + per week and was continuously in the public eye. They are arguably in the same category as movie stars and singers in term of fame in this country and look how some of them have turned out!

It's always a bit tricky when you compare our great Olympic athletes with footballers. Like everyone else, I've got nothing but complete admiration for the athletes that basically give up half their lives for a few minutes of glory, earning not much above the minimum wage in the process (well, most of them do). But using the athletes' lack of money as a stick to beat footballers with is a bit unfair. Do you really think Jess Ennis would turn down £100k per week to do the heptathlon, if it was offered to her?

There is so much money in football because it is the most popular sport. Once the Olympics has finished, will millions be tuning into or attending your average rowing regatta or swimming meet? Clearly not, (though I'm sure the Olympics will provide a big boost to minor sports.) What the whole football industry does with all its millions is a different question obviously...

Slating and condemning all footballballers is both unfair and morally pretty shaky ground. There are more than 2,000 pro's in the UK. You can't condemn them all and claim they are all lacking in morality and integrity.

Take 2,000 young men from anywhere on earth, place them in the spotlight and a set percentage of them will get into trouble. Some will have affairs, drive too fast, sleep around, some will inevitably commit criminal offences the same way a set proportion of any 2,000 strong field of men would.

I don't hold up the footballing profession as a source for moral guidance, but likewise it's totally unjust to slate them all based on the behaviour of some.

And as for athletes; they get up to all kinds of misdemenours, it's just you don't hear about it. The Kenyan who won gold yesterday-up on charges of stabbing someone..we'd have had no idea if they weren't in the spotlight.

Money wise, many athletes do okay nowadays. You think Jessica Ennis earns peanuts for her TV adverts?

Footballers are overpaid, I agree on that, but we are the mugs for paying the prices.15,000 Bristol City fans paying £20 is £300,000...honestly, where do you think that money should go? To the ones on the pitch, or the chairman?

First thing I would like to say is how refreshing and genuine some of the post event interviews have been. A lot of the olympians (Rowers for example) appear not to have had much PR training so you get their true reaction / delight at winning / compeating rather than the standard politian type interview.

That shows the quality of private education.

Slating and condemning all footballballers is both unfair and morally pretty shaky ground. There are more than 2,000 pro's in the UK. You can't condemn them all and claim they are all lacking in morality and integrity.

Take 2,000 young men from anywhere on earth, place them in the spotlight and a set percentage of them will get into trouble. Some will have affairs, drive too fast, sleep around, some will inevitably commit criminal offences the same way a set proportion of any 2,000 strong field of men would.

I don't hold up the footballing profession as a source for moral guidance, but likewise it's totally unjust to slate them all based on the behaviour of some.

And as for athletes; they get up to all kinds of misdemenours, it's just you don't hear about it. The Kenyan who won gold yesterday-up on charges of stabbing someone..we'd have had no idea if they weren't in the spotlight.

Money wise, many athletes do okay nowadays. You think Jessica Ennis earns peanuts for her TV adverts?

Footballers are overpaid, I agree on that, but we are the mugs for paying the prices.15,000 Bristol City fans paying £20 is £300,000...honestly, where do you think that money should go? To the ones on the pitch, or the chairman?

Good post.

And I have to just add, to those who think the sole reason we've gone up the medal table is lottery funding, do you not think other nations provide state funds for elite athletes? In many cases, far higher amounts.

Could not agree more.

Good lord, I agree wholeheartedly with a Crapdiff fan.... What next?!

Anybody with a sky sports prescription please relinquish it now as effectively you are funding these footballers wages and in turn making Murdochs legacy stronger....

What's a Sky Sports prescription? Is this something else the NHS is funding!... Oh, do you perhaps mean a Sky Sports subscription? :grr:

Personally I reckon there should be 5 a side footy in the Olympics .

Yeah I'd like to see that too. I thought that each Olympics introduced a new sport. It wasn't always continued, but I'm sure that was the case. Is there one this year?

Yeah I'd like to see that too. I thought that each Olympics introduced a new sport. It wasn't always continued, but I'm sure that was the case. Is there one this year?

There used to be Demonstration Sports at Olympics. Sometimes these were local sports, like at Barcelona in '92 when they did something called Pelota, which I think was hitting a ball against a wall with some sort of sling/bat.

I'd like to see tug of war make a return.

Five-a-side football/futsal is a good suggestion. Though given it puts even more emphasis on short passing/first touch, even less chance of a GB medal than in normal football.

There used to be Demonstration Sports at Olympics. Sometimes these were local sports, like at Barcelona in '92 when they did something called Pelota, which I think was hitting a ball against a wall with some sort of sling/bat.

I'd like to see tug of war make a return.

Five-a-side football/futsal is a good suggestion. Though given it puts even more emphasis on short passing/first touch, even less chance of a GB medal than in normal football.

Darts.

Phil The Power Taylor could of been our greatest ever Olympian :) doing all his warm ups in the Olympic Village bar!

Why is your username red eye........Ah got you...should be black eye

Ah - looks like one of the moronic bullying thugs that shames football has replied....

Nothing constructive or intelligent - just the usual mindless violent approach and response.

Why not instead reflect on how the olympics, both competitors and spectators, with their respectful behaviour, have shone a spotlight on the appalling behaviour of football's players and fans?

Competitive competition and partisan support should exist - without having to resort to personal abuse, thuggery and hatred.

Football needs to be cleaned up (fans and players alike) and then we will have a sport to be proud of.

The game of football is fine - what's wrong is the mass of morons, bullies and thugs that play and watch it.

Get rid of this detritus and we will have a sport fit to take it's place alongside athletics.

Why on earth have you signed up on a Football forum then??

God forbid that you would have to read the views from a mass cross section of thugish, bullying morons as we discuss equally dispicable people who represent our club whilst playing.

There are some strange people on here, there are people here that clearly come from different levels of education, background & quality of life styles. Indeed, some of the people on here spout utter rubbish - but they do so in the name of discussing "their" club.

Perhaps you should take your offensive, patronising and quite frankly prejudiced views to another forum where you are not subjected to the scum that are us football fans!

****!!!

Your response sadly confirms my point.

God forbid that you would have to read the views from a mass cross section of thugish, bullying morons as we discuss equally dispicable people who represent our club whilst playing.

There are some strange people on here, there are people here that clearly come from different levels of education, background & quality of life styles. Indeed, some of the people on here spout utter rubbish - but they do so in the name of discussing "their" club.

Perhaps you should take your offensive, patronising and quite frankly prejudiced views to another forum where you are not subjected to the scum that are us football fans!

****!!!

What next? Enlightenment, joy, contentment and hard core fun with a sheep wearing a Charlotte Church mask.

I'd rather Charlotte Church wearing a sheep mask!

The copper who caught him must be bl00dy quick - perhaps they should have had him in their athletics team!

****!!!

Firstly, may I take the opportunity to apologise for having the temerity to join YOUR website / forum.

(and before you ask, and in response to your prejudicial viewpoint of me; I am a Bristol boy (Bedminster) who has lived all over the city and have supported City for many years - and In this big, wide, world, I follow other teams and sports too).

Your response confirms my point.

Instead of reasoned debate, it's an offensive reply to what is a genuine attempt to understand why we have people who take great pleasure in thuggish, bullying, moronic behaviour. There are many, intelligent, insightful, debates on this forum - but sadly there are also those who assume THEIRS is the ONLY opinion that counts - and they will affirm this arrogance by putting down and insulting any other post they disagree with.

There is a distinct sense of boozer culture in these aggressive responses, echoing the bullying / gang / pecking order of a segment of Bristol pubs. Perhaps this would explain your hostile response - that of a vested interest. The majority of City fans are sensible drinkers who enjoy discussion and debate in a reasonable manner - sadly there are those who cannot handle alcohol... ...they then feel it's their right to abuse people, verbally and physically. These are probably the same men who are domestically abusing wives, partners and girlfriends. It's about time football truly cleaned up and addressed ALL of this - and the same goes for racism too.

Football culture needs a serious clean-out and this has nothing to do with background, education, life-style, or "strangeness," as you infer - there are no excuses for hiding behind anything - it comes down to manners, politeness and civility.

Unless, of course, I am misguided, and football culture IS in fact, all about being vile and abusive, as some would have youi believe - and defend.

Archived