IGNORED

Southampton Tonight

BCFC Jordan

• Admin

As for WIlson he may not be in a priority position but with a CB seemingly difficult to find he'd ensure Carey & James WIlson wouldn't be required to fill in at full back.

I haven't got to any pre-season games this season but I note that some have said that he's an organiser and was barking out instructions on Saturday. Would James Wilson play better anyway if he had Mark Wilson alongside him?

Personally i though we did really well, Morris is an absolutely cracking signing, Wilson would be too. I think both Cunningham and Anderson will prove there worth soon but looked solid and pacey.

As for Woolford i thought it was a shame he didn't connect properly but in fairness, a fair few players failed to at some point and think that's just down to getting more game time under their belts. Other than that his workrate was high and he has a visible desire to do well, win the ball and receive passes. hopefully that will turn into a sound player this season.

Adomah was Superb. the more i think about it, we must keep him to do well this season.

Thought Pearson had a very poor last 15 mins and should of been subbed off. Might of walked away with a win if he had been.

I haven't got to any pre-season games this season but I note that some have said that he's an organiser and was barking out instructions on Saturday. Would James Wilson play better anyway if he had Mark Wilson alongside him?

Only issue with Mark Wilson is that he's pretty short, at a guess 5ft 8.

James Wilson would certainly benefit from having him in the side, though.

Del is obviously a big Fontaine fan and signed Cunningham as his LB so that appears to be the left hand side of his first choice defence.

On the right he could go Foster/Carey or as you say, Mark Wilson/ James Wilson.

I think he values Foster's pace, with a league cup tie up first I guess we'll know by this time next week.

Cunningham is class - looks a great signing, with M Wilson at RB we looks solid but we definitely need a leader at CB command the back line especially when they switch off. We switched off for the goal and had a warning a couple of mins prior (personally thought that was Nyatanga swtiching off).

Decent game, played at a reasonable pace. One of the more watchable friendlies as they go. Overall we did ok, Southampton were worth at least 1-1, first half they had all the game up to the goal really.

We set up 433 for most of it with quite a lot of protection being afforded the back four and defending wasn't bad but a little too last ditch, we got passed through fairly easily a few times. Southampton could have had a few if they hadn't tried to walk the ball into the net.

In this shape we were quite direct going forward, either playing it off Stead or Taylor and only really bringing the ball forward when breaking. It was the kind of shape to use away against a top half side and had the usual problem of Stead being quite isolated and being shattered part way through the second half as a result.

Morris and Adomah stood out for me, both very assured. I thought Cunningham was very capable too. Woolford should have had two goals, got into good positions but couldn't finish. Pearson was energetic and did well but again once the opponents suss out that he won't use his right foot half the pitch is closed to him.

On balance I don't think we'll be in too much trouble this season but we definitely need the right sided centre half still.

I respect him as a man alot. Lost his little boy but was strong enough to get through it and still manages to smile.

Nothing but respect.

Very naive this.

Of course I admire him for how he handled himself during that, it would be torture for anybody and he handled himself very, very well.

Naive to forget everything before that though.

@Nibor: Pearson's been playing Championship football for years, how much longer do you think it will take for teams to suss him?

Pretty sure opponents change quite frequently. It took Southampton about half an hour tonight to realise they could stop him playing the ball forward by blocking his options with his left.

• Admin

Pretty sure opponents change quite frequently. It took Southampton about half an hour tonight to realise they could stop him playing the ball forward by blocking his options with his left.

I'm sure they saw enough of him last season. Perhaps when scoring the winning goal at St Mary's?

I'm sure they saw enough of him last season. Perhaps when scoring the winning goal at St Mary's?

Is there some sort of point I'm missing? You're disagreeing with me that being one footed is a weakness because he scored a goal once? Or you didn't notice what Southampton did to stifle our breaks when Pearson was carrying the ball?

• Admin

Is there some sort of point I'm missing? You're disagreeing with me that being one footed is a weakness because he scored a goal once? Or you didn't notice what Southampton did to stifle our breaks when Pearson was carrying the ball?

Not really disagreeing with you at all, it is clearly a weakness but I'm saying that sometimes teams aren't able to effectively counter a player's weakness as appears to be the case with Pearson who is still able to be effective for us having played at this level (with that weakness) for several years now.

I was not at the game tonight so do not wish to counter what you have seen first hand but I do note from earlier in the match thread that it was suggested that Pearson looked tired towards the end and should have been subbed? Could this have been as much of a factor in his diminishing performance as the match went on?

Personally i though we did really well, Morris is an absolutely cracking signing, Wilson would be too. I think both Cunningham and Anderson will prove there worth soon but looked solid and pacey.

As for Woolford i thought it was a shame he didn't connect properly but in fairness, a fair few players failed to at some point and think that's just down to getting more game time under their belts. Other than that his workrate was high and he has a visible desire to do well, win the ball and receive passes. hopefully that will turn into a sound player this season.

Adomah was Superb. the more i think about it, we must keep him to do well this season.

Thought Pearson had a very poor last 15 mins and should of been subbed off. Might of walked away with a win if he had been.

Agree with everything except Pearson still put himself about and broke up play.

Great game for a friendly, felt we shaded it but Southampton did have the edge onquality across the park. Adomah was great but Morris was the top man in a red shirt I thought. Going to enjoy watching the general

Not really disagreeing with you at all, it is clearly a weakness but I'm saying that sometimes teams aren't able to effectively counter a player's weakness as appears to be the case with Pearson who is still able to be effective for us having played at this level (with that weakness) for several years now.

I was not at the game tonight so do not wish to counter what you have seen first hand but I do note from earlier in the match thread that it was suggested that Pearson looked tired towards the end and should have been subbed? Could this have been as much of a factor in his diminishing performance as the match went on?

I'm sure Pearson was tired because he put in a lot of effort, but the passing thing was noticeable in the first half. Basically Southampton would just make sure to come at him diagonally blocking his ball to Bolaise/Woolford, forcing him to look right and that meant going backwards most of the time and playing a poor pass with the wrong bend on it or behind Albert a few times. It's just something that his team mates are going to have to be aware of to give him more options if he's going to play centrally a lot, it's not like I said he's terrible - far from it. He's a better all action energetic midfielder than Marvin IMO.

Reasonable performance tonight against some good movement.

First 10 minutes we were ripped apart but after that it was a bit more level and Albert had a stormer. Nearly everyone else was at least solid and did their job.

We need to replace Nyatanga at the back - would not like to start the season with him unless he is 4th choice CB.

I'll say again... can anyone comment on who's looking more likely to be first choice keeper yet??

Looks pretty open to me. Both have had a go in pre-season, neither's done a lot wrong. I'd guess Heaton since the manager signed him but nothing stronger than that.

Looks pretty open to me. Both have had a go in pre-season, neither's done a lot wrong. I'd guess Heaton since the manager signed him but nothing stronger than that.

I think the one year contract is a big indicator here too.

I would be very surprised if Heaton doesn't start as number one, he would have made it crystal clear to McInnes that the reason he left Cardiff was to seek first team football and, as such, surely anything other than assurances on this front would have seen him look elsewhere.

I tend to think he would have to play very poorly and Gerken play very well for Heaton not to start the season in possession.

Southampton probably deserved just to win the game but a good defensive performance, lot of hoofball up to Stead happening, didn't look great.

Positives for the game were definitely Foster who looked a new player, very good defensively and very fast going forward, Cunningham also had a solid game.

Morris was impressive throughout linking the play up and holding on to the ball.

Stead always working hard and took his goal brilliantly.

Adomah looked decent behind the striker linking up with the two other wingers, can see this happening and Pitman being left out at the start of the season. How Adomah dribbled around 4-5 people and created an opportunity was just brilliant.

Negatives I would have to say that Nyatanga once again looked shaky but still dealt with everything coming his way.

Wasn't impressed by Pearson in the slightest, kept giving the ball away and giving away silly fouls but it seems that he isn't going to be dropped as McInnes seems to have a love in with the bloke.

Skuse, Fontaine, Bolasie and Woolford looked average and still put in a shift.

Didn't see the Saints goal but heard the cheering and Billy Sharp being announced on the tannoy, made me chuckle a little bit!

Overall, can't complain with the performance but I think we need to start a lot better and not lump up to Stead from the off. Against a better side and we kept them out but I can't see them cutting it in the premier league, Rodriguez (6-7 million pounds?!) looked average as did Lambert. Sharp was the dangerman as always.

Must get a few new signings, then hopefully we'll stay up, push for mid-table finish imo.

Decent game tonight and once we'd got into the game I'd say we just about shaded it. The first ten minutes we couldn't get hold of the ball and it did look like it was only a matter of time before they took the lead. But all credit to us we slowly got ourselves into the game and after we went to 442 after about 25 minutes we played some really good stuff.

Albert was absolutely brilliant and I do know a few people who have always thought he could do a decent job for us up front, but I've never really agreed before tonight. Some of his link up play with Stead was superb and his dribbling was at it's scintillating best. What really impressed me those was the runs he made off the ball. This part of his game is usually one of the few things that let him down but tonight he made some really clever runs and quite a few times our midfield were able to play him through.

I was really impressed with Morris in his cameo Saturday, but today against a proper opposition was obviously a better test and I thought he looked like he may be a great player for us. He kept us ticking over and helped us look assured in possession whilst also looking to play a killer pass when the chance came along. He has also proved in the last few days that you can be that small and actually be able to tackle (Are you watching Neil Kilkenny?)

Mark Wilson again looked impressive and I must admit that I would like to see us sign him. He does appear to be an extremely solid defender whilst also comfortable on the ball and bringing it out of defence. Having said that Foster played really well tonight when I thought he may be slightly shown up by the quality of opposition.

Obviously it's only been two friendly games, one of which played against a joke team, but I must admit I have been impressed with us in the last few days. We look in a different world to what we did last pre season and we also seem to be really trying to keep hold of the ball and knock the ball around on the deck.

But we all know Morris is too old! He was never really any good anyway and the only time he was good was for St Johnstone who are a conference team at best. Definitely not good enough for Bristol City even though I've never seen him play.***

***Sarcasm Alert

angry responce

Archived