IGNORED

Dj Campbell In Talks

oldfield

I don't know what to make of this. Dj seems a very up and down striker, one good season, one bad. Potentially very good.

I do feel we could have rvp and we would still have problems though, we still haven't rectified the constant creative side to our team, we still have a very erratic midfield that produces very little for the poor Buggers up front.

Apart from the second sentence, not really a reason not to sign him. It's fairly essential to have a finishing striker. To be honest, it's Pitman I don't know what to make of.

How old is Kevin Philips would you have him in your squad -too right you would. Campbell is 30 for goodness sake 30, I repeat 30 get it into your heads 30 not 36!!!!

In my opinion he is just the type of player we need. As said earlier Van Persie is 29 -don't hear many Man U fans moaning he's too old!!!

More importantly, whether this works out or not I fully trust Del.

Previous managers may have made a panic buy and put loads of money into this deal. I get the feeling that Del wont be doing that and if a deal is done it will benefit us on and off the pitch.

In Del we trust!

Top striker in this division but surely his wages will be a major issue ? Think Dobbie could be more likely especially as he wouldn't necessarily have to move home.

You can't have a top striker and pay him peanut,s that just don't happen, If we do get him we will be paying him what he's worth I would hope, no more no less.

:facepalm:

Campbell has a proven goal record in the Championship and one season in the PL. He's just what City need. Experienced,quick with an eye for goal.

You are 'not enthusiastic' because he's not a young player with potential. The type of young player who every manager from the Championship down is looking for.

Get your facts right Robbo, you're naively clamouring for the big name again.

Actually, Campbell has a mediocre goal record in the Championship.

Pace? Maybe, maybe not, he's barely kicked a ball in the last year.

I still think he's a good player but he's likely to be earning a lot of money at QPR and we will have to pick that up, there is better value around even if we had to pay a bigger fee.

I doubt we'll be paying a lot for him, QPR want rid of him and will probably take the hit on their end of the deal. As for wages, well, we have a strict policy and if he doesn't fit into the policy, we won't be signing him. the club has learned it's lesson after paying silly money in recent years. Not only is it obviously expensive, but divisive in the dressing room.

I can't see any reason why he isn't worth a punt. At 30, he's not over the hill providing he's looked after himself, and as long as he's a good trainer then you have to trust del's judgement. All the signals coming out of AG recently are about value for money and he must represent that otherwise we wouldn't be interested. Panic buy? that suggestion is frankly ridiculous.

Clearly Baldock either doesn't want to come, or there is something financial in the deal which means it won't go any further (If it was ever close in the first place).

I really can't understand the logic of some posters. One minute screaming no signings made etc and the next having a pop at someone we're linked with. The question you have to ask is, is he better than what we have?...unquestionably YES. He's a finisher, runs the channels and puts the effort in which Pitman doesn't. He has pace and gets in the face of defenders. None of our other strikers do that or have that, so on balance, he would be good addition.

I personally think anything over £500k would be expensive but knowing how Del has contrived cheap transfers so far, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a lot less.

I still think he's a good player but he's likely to be earning a lot of money at QPR and we will have to pick that up, there is better value around even if we had to pay a bigger fee.

I am with you on this one, don't really know what to make of it, he is one of those strikers with undoubted ability but has lacked consistency which is probably why he hasn't settled at any club.

I doubt we'll be paying a lot for him, QPR want rid of him and will probably take the hit on their end of the deal. As for wages, well, we have a strict policy and if he doesn't fit into the policy, we won't be signing him. the club has learned it's lesson after paying silly money in recent years. Not only is it obviously expensive, but divisive in the dressing room.

I can't see any reason why he isn't worth a punt. At 30, he's not over the hill providing he's looked after himself, and as long as he's a good trainer then you have to trust del's judgement. All the signals coming out of AG recently are about value for money and he must represent that otherwise we wouldn't be interested. Panic buy? that suggestion is frankly ridiculous.

Clearly Baldock either doesn't want to come, or there is something financial in the deal which means it won't go any further (If it was ever close in the first place).

I really can't understand the logic of some posters. One minute screaming no signings made etc and the next having a pop at someone we're linked with. The question you have to ask is, is he better than what we have?...unquestionably YES. He's a finisher, runs the channels and puts the effort in which Pitman doesn't. He has pace and gets in the face of defenders. None of our other strikers do that or have that, so on balance, he would be good addition.

I personally think anything over £500k would be expensive but knowing how Del has contrived cheap transfers so far, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a lot less.

Couldnt have said it better 100% bang on

Can't believe some people on here moaning that Campbell isn't good enough for us. Truth is we escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth, our stock isn't exactly high at the moment is it. Dj Campbell is a proven striker at this level and would be a good addition to the squad. What do some people expect ffs.

Campbells record is very difficult to analyze, what is clear is that for whatever reason he didn't perform at Leicester.

He was at Leicester for 3 years he hardly scored a goal, he spent a lot of his time either on the bench or out on loan.

When Leicester let him go out on loan he was very impressive and whilst playing for various clubs (Mainly Blackpool) he scored 26 goals in 46 games which he then followed up in the Premier League scoring 13 in 30.

It's not unusual for a striker to go to a club and not hit it off.

As for big wages and a big fee, it's guess work. The struggle we have had to get the CB and CF we want surely suggests that perhaps we aren't willing to pay people what they are demanding?

Here's Campbell's goal record since Brentford ;

2005–2006 Brentford 23 (9) 2006–2007 Birmingham City 43 (9) 2007–2010 Leicester City 41 (5) 2009 → Blackpool (loan) 20 (9) 2009–2010 → Derby County (loan) 8 (3) 2010 → Blackpool (loan) 15 (8) 2010–2011 Blackpool 31 (13) 2011– Queens Park Rangers 11 (1)

Works out at just 1-3 goal per game ratio.

Why are people concerned about age? Most players play the best football of there careers in there early 30's.

Rickie Lambert,Marlon King,Kevin Phillips and Darius Henderson all finished in the top 10 scores in Championship last season.

There all 30 or older.

Experience beats youth by miles in our division.

Why are people concerned about age? Most players play the best football of there careers in there early 30's.

Rickie Lambert,Marlon King,Kevin Phillips and Darius Henderson all finished in the top 10 scores in Championship last season.

There all 30 or older.

Experience beats youth by miles in our division.

David James...

Here's Campbell's goal record since Brentford ;

2005–2006 Brentford 23 (9) 2006–2007 Birmingham City 43 (9) 2007–2010 Leicester City 41 (5) 2009 → Blackpool (loan) 20 (9) 2009–2010 → Derby County (loan) 8 (3) 2010 → Blackpool (loan) 15 (8) 2010–2011 Blackpool 31 (13) 2011– Queens Park Rangers 11 (1)

Works out at just 1-3 goal per game ratio.

It works out at 0.28 and in the seven years he's been a pro he's managed an average of 20 starts a season.

Stead's for us is 0.29 and Pitman's 0.27 and that's despite more than half of Pitman's appearances being off the bench and Stead playing as a target man a lot.

Would be a very good signing I feel.

As much as I would've preferred Baldock, I feel if we got Baldock Pitman may have wanted to leave, as Baldock is of the same age.

Whereas now we have 2 target men, Stead and Taylor, Stead being the experienced one (29 if I remember correctly) & Taylor the younger one (23). We also MAY have two Poachers, one older Dj Campbell (30) and younger Pitman (23)

May give more incentive to stay as were not buying someone of a similar age and make him feel like he is being replaced!

Its because we have no record of signing players and making money off them. The board have said countless times they want to get it so we buy players with the potential for sell ons and stuff, but this has gone out the window so many times it's beyond a joke.

Seems like we get a 'marquee' player each season, looks like Campbell will be this years star vet, to go along with the other vets of the team.

That's why the older players are only getting 1 year deals the young sellable ones like cunningham got 4 years but your to bust moaning to know

Has he scored more than 9 at championship level? I know he hit 13 once at prem, and a few more lower down, but I can't remember seeing him in double figures at championship level, I'm sure his best is worse than maynards worst (apart from the season before last where injured.

So if this is a maynard replacement it isn't. It is s pacy striker,

Personally happyish if true, but think I would prefer a hungry young player looking to progress, rather than a player about to start running down his career after 30. He certainly flits around clubs a lot. Have to question why?

To me it seems like a Del bargain buy. A player who is out of favour at his club and is lacking in confidence or not playing well BUT has the potential to succeed. Del trusts his and his coaching staffs ability and believes that he can get the best out of a player. Its shown in the signing of Anderson in particular as well as Heaton and current players at the club like Woolford and Bolasie who have featured a lot during pre season.

Its because we have no record of signing players and making money off them. The board have said countless times they want to get it so we buy players with the potential for sell ons and stuff, but this has gone out the window so many times it's beyond a joke.

As a fan I'm not interested in getting in players hoping we can sell them again when there better.

I can't believe any fan in the world would want this.

It's about the current, not the future in my view.

The people who run the club obviously want this but a better side with better players NOW makes money through the gates etc.

Archived